• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Falkie2013

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on April 10, 2015, 01:43:27 PM
Great news. And honestly, I'd pay $10/month without even batting an eye.

I'd be willing to pay $ 20. That's how much * I * miss Art's presence on thae air.

Quote from: Falkie2013 on April 10, 2015, 02:53:03 PM
I'd be willing to pay $ 20. That's how much * I * miss Art's presence on thae air.

Somehow I'm guessing that if I said I'd pay $500k/month, you would have said you'd pay $1million.

I'd be willing to California taxpayers will pay $ 20. That's how much * I * miss Art's presence on thae air.

Fixed.

ledzep69r

$5 a month, no problem. I'm in.

Catsmile

I agree, $40 even!
Can someone help a brother out, so I can listen to Arts new show?
Please send me a money order for $480... so I can listen to Art... on a new iPad!
The two I already have are sooo 3 months ago, thanks.

ge30542

Quote from: Art Bell on April 10, 2015, 01:04:12 PM
I just could not resist screwing with you all a bit with the change over!

Art

Mr. Bell, I am thrilled to hear this news, and Sir, I wish you all the very best, with much success.
You've built an Empire, by hand, one affiliate at a time, you'll do it again. You are a true radio legend, you have talent, intellect, interviewing skills, and, most importantly, (at least for me), THE VOICE for "theater of the mind".
Let me know when, where & how much to pay, I'll do it gladly.

And Tune-In, great. the current home of only about 5 or 6 different AB streams. Fantastic!

Catsmile

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on April 10, 2015, 02:56:27 PM
Somehow I'm guessing that if I said I'd pay $500k/month, you would have said you'd pay $1million.
Well yeah! It's easy to spend other peoples money. DUH!
Nao GIMME GIMME!!

ge30542

(doing my best Beavis voice).....heh-heh, talk radio.....raging through the night....heh-heh...like a freight train...heh-heh"

Or to fly to the sun without burning a wing,
To lie in the meadow and hear the grass sing,
To have all these things in our memories hoard,
And to use them,
To help us,
To find...ha ha ha ha ha ha,

aldousburbank

Let's get this party started!

SnapT

Art Bell's gonna be a rich man!

ge30542

I'm so excited, I'm gonna take an extra dose of medicine!

ks3484

Quote from: Stranger929 on April 10, 2015, 01:41:25 PM
Good, I think this is the way it should have been done in the first place. I'll be happy to pay $5, honestly for that amount of content per month I'd be comfortable with $20. Independence from large corporate advertising controls is worth paying for. I appreciate good conversation and you've always provided that.

I don't think you should feel limited about the amounts you give/invest. If the minimum requested subscription, offering, gift, or fee will be $5; it doesn't stand to reason that one should assume that there is a maximum subscription, offering, gift, or fee unless it is stated. It seems as if you should feel free to give/invest above the requested minimum offering, gift, or fee in whatever amounts your circumstances will allow. :)

rzr1911

I'll be listening to the 'pirated' mp3s,
or to whoever uploads it to youtube. (so I suggest you do that yourself and get the ad-revenue from there)
Unless there's a free stream 24/7.
Better fund your show with ads.

5-7$ a monthly subs is ok, can't charge much more than that.
Not many people are willing to pay more than 10$ a month for a long time, even if they say so in this thread.

ge30542

Quote from: ks3484 on April 10, 2015, 03:52:19 PM

I don't think you should feel limited about the amounts you give/invest. If the minimum requested subscription, offering, gift, or fee will be $5; it doesn't stand to reason that one should assume that there is a maximum subscription, offering, gift, or fee unless it is stated. It seems as if you should feel free to give/invest above the requested minimum offering, gift, or fee in whatever amounts your circumstances will allow. :)

I agree, heck, I'd pay $ 20 per month. The first night's show should be open lines, all night, with people saying " Is this Art Bell"?, "It's great to hear your voice again Art", and Art saying, "turn your radio/device/smartphone OFF please".

jazmunda

Here is what I can tell you, Keith and I are going to think about this over this Weekend but it looks like instead of making a deal with anybody else we will do it ourselves. We will be on the Internet and everybody will be able to hear the show on Tune In (free app) Worldwide.

If we decide to move forward I will be ordering the gear by Tuesday. The music is taken care of and the time of the show will be 9PM-12AM PT M-F.

The live show will be free, but because we are doing it ourselves we will be depending on people buying membership for 5 bucks a Month which gives you the Podcast and Wormhole and so forth. If they don't we won't get very far because we pay music, Bandwidth, Producer Etc.

We could have signed with a Partner BUT they wanted to put us in a pay wall with other stuff and the price would have been at least double with all kinds of restrictions so we think we will put up the money ourselves and roll the dice. It's a gamble but so is life.

Art

Sign me up and take my money. Great news Art. I really think you should consider having an extra donate option to help you get this moving. People can be very generous to ventures they enjoy. You sir are the ultimate joy machine. Long live Midnight in the Desert.

DesertFox

Beware the Aussie has delurked!

jazmunda

Quote from: DesertFox on April 10, 2015, 04:01:49 PM
Beware the Aussie has delurked!

Not sure why my absence is your business. You seem to be obsessed. Get a life mate.

DesertFox

Quote from: jazmunda on April 10, 2015, 04:02:48 PM
Not sure why my absence is your business. You seem to be obsessed. Get a life mate.

Just kidding--forget I mentioned it.

rzr1911

I highly doubt that this is more than one of your self delusions.
You don't even want to pay for the catfood.
Or can you somehow trick the government to pay for your radio subscriptions as part of a disabilities support program?

ge30542

What's it cost to have a bunch of tee-shirts made? Cause here's what I want to buy from Art Bell.
On the front of a tee shirt, a pic of AB from the back, with the caption "Arts Back, Wanna take a ride?

Here is what I can tell you, Keith and I are going to think about this over this Weekend but it looks like instead of making a deal with anybody else we will do it ourselves. We will be on the Internet and everybody will be able to hear the show on Tune In (free app) Worldwide.

If we decide to move forward I will be ordering the gear by Tuesday. The music is taken care of and the time of the show will be 9PM-12AM PT M-F.

The live show will be free, but because we are doing it ourselves we will be depending on people buying membership for 5 bucks a Month which gives you the Podcast and Wormhole and so forth. If they don't we won't get very far because we pay music, Bandwidth, Producer Etc.

We could have signed with a Partner BUT they wanted to put us in a pay wall with other stuff and the price would have been at least double with all kinds of restrictions so we think we will put up the money ourselves and roll the dice. It's a gamble but so is life.

Art

Sign me up!!

Good choice Art. You need free-hands to do this the way you want to do it. No need for the corporate wieners to get their big egos involved.

channer1

Quote from: VegasI15 on April 10, 2015, 02:10:33 PM
Art, great idea to start out as a small webcaster.   That will give you time to build an audience.  And have a cash reserve to pay the bigger fees when required to.

As far as everyone jumping on this "charge more" bandwagon,  I disagree.  Not everyone will want to pony up $20 a month just for one show.  $5 is more than reasonable for the extra bells and whistles.  Having a donation button satisfies those who wish to donate to the cause.  That is, without forcing people to pay more.

I'm also guessing that the small amount of advertising will bring in plenty of revenue, when the listener count goes way up.  (It's a matter of when not if IMO)
Dude...it's a Starbucks, it's a fucking Happy Meal, per MONTH of Art....Let's loosen up a little

Daggit

This is the greatest news since Falkie scored an interview with Noory in which he is going to prank Dave and promote Art's new show. Way to go Falkie. I didn't think you had the balls.

Is anyone else concerned with the thinking about it over the weekend comment or am I just being a negative Nancy?

phrodo

Great news Art! Hope you decide to go it alone - that way you can call the shots. And I think $5.99 would be a perfect price. The extra .99 would help with PayPal or credit card fees and power/server expenses.

I am certain that with the subscription revenue along with some ads on your site (for Keith) and about 5 to 8 minutes of commercials an hour on the show you will have plenty of dollars left over for whatever you'd like to do with them.

YNOT

Count me in Art! $5 is very reasonable.

If you want to have a free stream, yet give more incentive of a paid one, Mysterious Universe http://mysteriousuniverse.org/
uses a model where the last hour is only for paid subscriptions. Just a thought.

Either way I'm stoked! And I don't know what your break even # is on memberships, but if 20K+ listeners of DM is right and only 10% or 2000 pay then that $10,000 a month...
And I would suspect more would eventually subscribe as well as a good portion of your 5000 facebook friends who aren't already counted in the DM list....

ge30542

Quote from: Daggit on April 10, 2015, 04:15:19 PM
Is anyone else concerned with the thinking about it over the weekend comment or am I just being a negative Nancy?

Actually, I did dwell on that part a bit.

(this weekend)
Art: "So Keith, whatchoo wanna do"?
Keith: "I don't know Art, whatchoo wanna do"?
Art: "You wanna do this, or what"?
Keith: "Well, I guess we might as well, dontcha think"?
Art: "I suppose we oughta announce it right away"
Keith: Should we PM the people on the list, or what"?
Art: Nah, let's tell everybody, even those NOT on the list"
Keith: Okay then, EFF IT, let's do this"!

ks3484

Quote from: ge30542 on April 10, 2015, 04:06:47 PM
What's it cost to have a bunch of tee-shirts made? Cause here's what I want to buy from Art Bell.
On the front of a tee shirt, a pic of AB from the back, with the caption "Arts Back, Wanna take a ride?

You might give BOOSTER'S program a try.

Art Bell

A donate button is a great idea. Keith also has skin he can hardly afford in this game. It sure is a gamble but what the hell. We are just taking the Weekend to be sure we have not lost our minds.

Art

DesertFox

Well Art--you sure are generating A LOT of enthusiasm.