• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Zenman

Quote from: trostol on May 29, 2018, 11:28:21 PM
need a druid on and maybe someone to talk old Norse ..buddhist would be interesting..someone from Shinto

Maybe look at atheism too.

Quote from: Nobody on May 29, 2018, 11:35:45 PM
Serious question: Can someone who lives in America confirm or contradict something, please?  The limited information I have on this subject comes strictly second-hand, may be entirely wrong...and this isn't the sort of thing anyone who wants to be gainfully employed in the US can afford to get wrong.

I am saying this as an outsider looking in, but:  My understanding is that having an arrest record is a complete and utter no-no if you ever to plan to apply for a "serious" job in the US (by "serious," I mean a job that is not concerned with washing dishes or dumping garbage).  I was led to believe "have you ever been arrested" is a bog-standard question that all American employers ask and, should you answer in the affirmative, you are treated a lot differently (and not in a good way) than if you are able to answer in the negative.

(Apart from which, many, if not most, US employers will run a background check on you to confirm for themselves whether or not you have ever been arrested in an effort to keep their potential exposure to liability to a minimum.)

What I'm getting at here is: I don't think Heather fully understands what having an arrest record might mean to her future.  I do know that, in her own mind, she's going to host a podcast forever, but things do not always work out the way we thing they are going to and, frankly, I don't think she has thought this one through.

(I'm not sure she's thought about it at all, actually.)

On the other hand, I might have the wrong end of the stick, and that's okay (it would be a positive relief, in fact).  It's just that, while I enjoy poking fun at Heather, I have an uneasy feeling she is making an irretrievably awful mistake with this Area-51 thing in her frantic quest to "stay relevant."  The kind of mistake you look back upon years later and find yourself saying, "I wish I hadn't done that."

Is there a Yank or two who is willing to set me straight on this?
Mainly they ask if you were ever convicted of a felony.

Aquarius

Serious question: Can someone who lives in America confirm or contradict something, please?  The limited information I have on this subject comes strictly second-hand, may be entirely wrong...and this isn't the sort of thing anyone who wants to be gainfully employed in the US can afford to get wrong.

I am saying this as an outsider looking in, but:  My understanding is that having an arrest record is a complete and utter no-no if you ever to plan to apply for a "serious" job in the US (by "serious," I mean a job that is not concerned with washing dishes or dumping garbage).  I was led to believe "have you ever been arrested" is a bog-standard question that all American employers ask and, should you answer in the affirmative, you are treated a lot differently (and not in a good way) than if you are able to answer in the negative.

(Apart from which, many, if not most, US employers will run a background check on you to confirm for themselves whether or not you have ever been arrested in an effort to keep their potential exposure to liability to a minimum.)
In essence, you are correct. More alarmingly, she is cheerfully announcing that if she gets shot, don't worry, she'll be on the air the next night because the show must go on the air. Not totally connected to reality and/or our past history, ya think?

WinWinS

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 29, 2018, 11:25:41 PM
I know. I want to explore those and more.

DS

I have such a tiny head LOL

chefist

Quote from: El Chorro on May 29, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
What does he think about how the faces look in those photos?

Dr Bendernagle

El Chorro

It's ok because they pay me???

That's pretty weak Saucesquatch, Dave

Bluejay

El Chorro

Thanks for addressing it, Dave.

Bluejay

Quote from: El Chorro on May 29, 2018, 11:37:22 PM
What does he think about how the faces look in those photos?

What I'm getting at here is: I don't think Heather fully understands what having an arrest record might mean to her future.  I do know that, in her own mind, she's going to host a podcast forever, but things do not always work out the way we thing they are going to and, frankly, I don't think she has thought this one through.

On the other hand, I might have the wrong end of the stick, and that's okay (it would be a positive relief, in fact).  It's just that, while I enjoy poking fun at Heather, I have an uneasy feeling she is making an irretrievably awful mistake with this Area-51 thing in her frantic quest to "stay relevant."  The kind of mistake you look back upon years later and find yourself saying, "I wish I hadn't done that."

That analysis is sound though some further considerations can be made.  Was the crime/offense a long time ago?  Has the applicant had jobs since then?  I think most companies are willing to take a chance if it was a youthful offense depending on the crime.

albrecht

Practices and laws vary depending. No one answer. In general, "yes" but even in those cases ot depends who you know, what field, what crime, etc. Some places have made laws saying you can't ask that question. Private companies have own policies. Bars, Med Boards, etc are questionably understanding to 'their own' on certain crimes. And government jobs have differing standards depending on local, cty, state, fed and where/what.

albrecht

Quote from: Zenman on May 29, 2018, 11:38:13 PM
Maybe look at atheism too.

Or go BOLD and look into the 'Tribe(s)"

Doomed

Quote from: El Chorro on May 29, 2018, 11:40:34 PM
Thanks for addressing it, Dave.
A little shoutout there senior!  8)

El Chorro

Oh so hair can't be tested for identification if it's fallen out? Amazing. Bigfoot hairs don't have DNA because it fell out.

So you have a collection of weird DNA-free hair. Must be Saucesquatch.

Lilith

Quote from: SnapT on May 29, 2018, 11:29:54 PM
The most interesting MITD is hosted by Falkie!

https://youtu.be/PsL1RxvDApU

It's radio with pictures!

You make a good point!

Lilith

On the other hand, I might have the wrong end of the stick, and that's okay (it would be a positive relief, in fact).  It's just that, while I enjoy poking fun at Heather, I have an uneasy feeling she is making an irretrievable mistake with this Area-51 thing in her frantic quest to "stay relevant."  The kind of mistake you look back upon years later and find yourself saying, "I wish I hadn't done that."

Appartments do background checks too.  Not that it would ever be an issue for Heather I don't suppose.

Cowkiller

On the other hand, I might have the wrong end of the stick, and that's okay (it would be a positive relief, in fact).  It's just that, while I enjoy poking fun at Heather, I have an uneasy feeling she is making an irretrievable mistake with this Area-51 thing in her frantic quest to "stay relevant."  The kind of mistake you look back upon years later and find yourself saying, "I wish I hadn't done that."

Basically since Europe sent America their religious nuts, poor, criminals, and malcontents we're kind of used to fuck ups over here.  Many of the politicians, business leaders are criminals themselves or will be by the time they've been in the job for twenty years.
  But seriously it can be harder, but the jobs are dissappearing anyway.  The underground economy exists also.  Heck, anyone from Britian could probably find work here easily because your accent would make you sound intelligent and if you can bullshit you'll do fine.

El Chorro

Heather's new home page is titled "listener submitted photos" lol

WildCard

Quote from: Aquarius on May 29, 2018, 11:39:20 PM
In essence, you are correct. More alarmingly, she is cheerfully announcing that if she gets shot, don't worry, she'll be on the air the next night because the show must go on the air. Not totally connected to reality and/or our past history, ya think?

Running into the wire

Dyna-X

Quote from: DaveSchrader on May 29, 2018, 11:50:02 PM
https://www.britannica.com/topic/hominin
It is notable you use the Encyclopedia Britannica vs Wikipedia. The later shows up first in a google search, so its a conscious choice. Very little gets past this cat.