• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

ItsOver

Quote from: albrecht on August 02, 2014, 04:22:13 PM
What did Obama say yesterday in his speech and what do you think he really meant? Was it just the usual politicking or is he going really use some Executive Actions, or other methods? If so what kind? Or just threats to try to get Congress to pass something? I watched but I couldn't determine any real policy or broadcast of what his intentions are.
Just the usual.  Congress, or at least the House, is evil and won't roll over and do what he says so he may have to do whatever he feels like.  Of course Congress has been busy playing political games for the upcoming midterm.  Now it's vacation time.  Fun and games in DC.

albrecht

Quote from: ItsOver on August 02, 2014, 08:53:23 PM
Just the usual.  Congress, or at least the House, is evil and won't roll over and do what he says so he may have to do whatever he feels like.  Of course Congress has been busy playing political games for the upcoming midterm.  Now it's vacation time.  Fun and games in DC.
I wonder if some the more junior members n havent got the payoffs, yet, are going to vacation in some of the resorts they are refurbishing for our illegals? Sorta a see what we can do. Vets languish. Poor, and not poor, Americans unemployed but we can provide flatscreen tvs, healthcare, dentistry,  sportcourts, n tutors. And even landline telephones. To illegals. Heck, they could also probably find some nice, though not so fresh considering the gauntlet the illegals must run to fullfill Obama's "dreams", nice young staffers for a "wide-stance" encounter in the cloakroom. All, need to be voted out.  N if any good seek it again with no money.

Quick Karl

If our country wasn't 47% blistering morons that base every decision on the emotions emanating from their assholes and their irrational fear of guns that control men's minds, a disgusting lunacy like what us normal people are experiencing in this country, could never be happening.

b_dubb

QK you may have something there.  If you in fact ARE representative of "normal people" in America that may be all the answer anyone needs to turn this cuntry around.

Quick Karl

Quote from: b_dubb on August 03, 2014, 08:30:10 PM
QK you may have something there.  If you in fact ARE representative of "normal people" in America that may be all the answer anyone needs to turn this cuntry around.

b_dumb - when your mommy and daddy used to tell you, you were an idiot, did you try the same 3-Stogges psychological warfare on them too, to try and make yourself feel smart?

Quote from: Quick Karl on August 03, 2014, 10:40:19 PM
b_dumb - when your mommy and daddy used to tell you, you were an idiot, did you try the same 3-Stogges psychological warfare on them too, to try and make yourself feel smart?

That was really painful to read.  I can clearly see how much effort you make to produce even the most basic kind of prose.  Have you considered hooked on phonics? 

Quick Karl

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 03, 2014, 10:56:17 PM
That was really painful to read.  I can clearly see how much effort you make to produce even the most basic kind of prose.  Have you considered hooked on phonics?

Prose! ;D Did you learn a new word today, you fucking idiot.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Quick Karl on August 03, 2014, 11:43:48 PM
Prose! ;D Did you learn a new word today, you fucking idiot.

You really do need to try and get laid qunt. Look, if you keep quiet and don't tell anyone, you'll be forgiven if the body hasn't a pulse. You know what I'm saying?

Yorkshire pud

What were the last things your mommy and daddy said to you? "Fuck off and let some other twat bring you up, we're sick of you, bye for now"? Or something similar.

NowhereInTime

... 3-Stogges ...
What the fuck is 3-Stogges??  Is this some kind of Norwegian Comedy Troupe? 

Just put it in your mouth and pull the damn trigger already.

Quick Karl

Quote from: NowhereInTime on August 04, 2014, 04:58:33 PM

Typos are the ammunition of the defeated.

albrecht

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on August 05, 2014, 08:15:37 PM
Eeek!  A Mexican!

Rand Paul seems to have misunderstood what "run for president" means:

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/blogs/the_slatest/2014/08/05/SLAT_140805_Rand.gif

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/08/05/rand-pauls-rough-ride-in-iowa/
I wouldve suggested the best response than "eek a Mexican" (love that characterization by the way) is to not even see them n simply ask for a refill of tea, assuming any Mexican is simply a busboy. Sort of like if one sees a black guy in a tux from the corner of your eye you automatically ask for another drink n quickly return to your conversation.

b_dubb

Quote from: NowhereInTime on August 04, 2014, 04:58:33 PM

Another 1%er big Lib not paying his fair share.  I eagerly await Robert Redford's next speech demanding taxes be raised on the rest of us, taxes being 'for the little people' and all that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-robert-redford-sundance-tax-lawsuit-20140806-story.html

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2014, 11:53:21 AM
Another 1%er big Lib not paying his fair share.  I eagerly await Robert Redford's next speech demanding taxes be raised on the rest of us, taxes being 'for the little people' and all that.

I'm confident that future generations will regard him as the most despicable human monster of our time. That comforts and pleases me to no end.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 08, 2014, 12:11:03 PM
I'm confident that future generations will regard him as the most despicable human monster of our time. That comforts and pleases me to no end.

Even worse than Dirk 'Muscles' Skidmark who used to bully you in kindergarten when you were 16? He was only four too... Oh I wanted his camels to have fleas so much but I couldn't stop laughing.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 08, 2014, 12:11:03 PM

I didn't realize our attitude towards tax dodging depended on how we felt about the person doing it. 

Actually, I did realize that.  And Robert Redford is a Lib in good standing, so never mind.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2014, 12:36:28 PM

I didn't realize our attitude towards tax dodging depended on how we felt about the person doing it. 

Actually, I did realize that.  And Robert Redford is a Lib in good standing, so never mind.

Did I say I support him or mention anything about my personal political positions?  I'm pretty sure we've never met, so please don't assume you know anything about me. 

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 08, 2014, 12:17:00 PM

Even worse than Dirk 'Muscles' Skidmark who used to bully you in kindergarten when you were 16? He was only four too... Oh I wanted his camels to have fleas so much but I couldn't stop laughing.

Not even close.  Redford stands alone when it comes to committing atrocities against humanity.  And I was only 14. I was just big for my age.  May your camel toe be plagued by an ingrown nail.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 08, 2014, 12:57:53 PM
Not even close.  Redford stands alone when it comes to committing atrocities against humanity.  And I was only 14. I was just big for my age.  May your camel toe be plagued by an ingrown nail.

You promised you'd never reveal I was a hermaphrodite.

I thought he wasn't bad in All the Presidents men...(Incoming...............................)

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 08, 2014, 01:02:35 PM

You promised you'd never reveal I was a hermaphrodite.

I thought he wasn't bad in All the Presidents men...(Incoming...............................)

He'll never top his riveting performance in my personal favorite, "Big Fauss and Little Halsey."  He stole every scene he was in with Michael J. Pollard*, something no other actor has ever been able to accomplish.

*See the Nice Little Facts thread for a NLF about MJP.

NowhereInTime

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2014, 11:53:21 AM

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-robert-redford-sundance-tax-lawsuit-20140806-story.html
You know, I enjoy constantly punching holes into your half-baked demagoguery.  You read the article, you know full well he paid his taxes in Utah.
This isn't like one of you cons offshoring your profits to shirk your civic responsibility; he paid.  This is yet another story of New York's overreach.  They will make any tenuous link in order to secure income.
Redford will prevail in his lawsuit; New York jumped its purview shark here.

Quote from: NowhereInTime on August 08, 2014, 01:59:15 PM
You know, I enjoy constantly punching holes into your half-baked demagoguery.  You read the article, you know full well he paid his taxes in Utah.
This isn't like one of you cons offshoring your profits to shirk your civic responsibility; he paid.  This is yet another story of New York's overreach.  They will make any tenuous link in order to secure income.
Redford will prevail in his lawsuit; New York jumped its purview shark here.

He sold the company that puts on the Sundance Film Festival in Idaho.  Corporate HQ was located in New York (so much for the 'tenuous link').  Utah is a low tax state (5% maximum), NY (8.82%) and Idaho (7.4%) are higher taxing states.  Redford lives in Utah, the business he sold was based in NY, and operated there and in Idaho.  By paying all the State Income Tax in Utah he would keep the difference between what the tax would be in the lower tax state vs. what it would be in the higher tax states.

The company was an S Corp, which are taxed like Partnerships - income taxes are not imposed on profits at the corporate level but are taxed to the shareholders on their personal tax returns.  Redford lives in Utah, and from the article it appears he reported the annual operating profits and the profits on the sale of the company only on his Utah State return. 

Problem is, activity occurred in New York and in Idaho.  He needs to file New York and Idaho Non-Resident Individual Tax Returns and report the profits on those activities to those states.  As a Utah resident, he also must report the profits on his Utah State tax return, but can claim a credit for some of the NY and Idaho tax so that he isn't taxed twice on the same income.  NY and Idaho being higher taxing states than Utah, he will only get Utah credit for some of the tax paid to NY and ID. 

Think about it this way - if you live in one state and owned an apartment building in a different state, the state where the apartment building was located would want annual tax on the revenue, and capital gains tax when you sold the apartment.  Same thing with an S Corp being located and doing business in other states.

It's sad that I know a little about all this.

People taking their money offshore and then not paying taxes on it is illegal, and they should be hunted down and prosecuted like any other tax cheat.  Based on what little info there is in the article, think of Redford as 'offshoring' his Idaho and New York income to a lower tax state and reporting it there.

I don't think he's a tax cheat, I think he has a crappy tax preparer, or one willing to push the envelope a little - perhaps with his clients approval.  But once enlightened by the New York State tax authorities, he should 'pay his fair share', the way he insists others do.

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 08, 2014, 12:48:46 PM
Did I say I support him or mention anything about my personal political positions?  I'm pretty sure we've never met, so please don't assume you know anything about me.

So that wasn't sarcasm, you really think he's a despicable monster?  I guess I stand corrected.

Quote from: Paper*Boy on August 08, 2014, 04:59:15 PM
So that wasn't sarcasm, you really think he's a despicable monster?  I guess I stand corrected.

Truth be told, I like a lot of his movies but have never given him much thought otherwise. I just think it's funny that his tax situation bugs you so much and that you're attempting to attach some deep political significance to it. 

VtaGeezer

I can just envision Redford at his desk surrounded by NY, ID, and UT tax law tomes.  And the big "Aha!" moment.  I wonder if he wore a green eyeshade.

Like Redford does anything but say "Well, you're the CPA"...is this where I sign?" in regard to his tax arrangements.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on August 08, 2014, 07:47:02 PM
I can just envision Redford at his desk surrounded by NY, ID, and UT tax law tomes.  And the big "Aha!" moment.  I wonder if he wore a green eyeshade.

Like Redford does anything but say "Well, you're the CPA"...is this where I sign?" in regard to his tax arrangements.

I dunno.  That sounds pretty far-fetched. 

Quick Karl

I believe that if you embrace liberal philosophies you should voluntarily pay more than your fair share of taxes, to set a positive example...