• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

,Bosch

A new detective series on Amazon Prime. Well worth a watch.

paladin1991

On PBS, the wife and I have been watching 2 German TV shows.  'Crime Scene Cleaner.'  Absurdist daily events in the life of a German crime scene cleaner. 
The other is 'Bukow and Konig,' a police drama that takes place in Rostow, I think. There's a bit of flavor that reminds me of Angie Dickinson in her old police drama.  The rest of the team, I just can't relate to.  But Bukow, every now and then he's had enough of the bullshittery of the admin types and the street creatures he has to work with. 

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 19, 2015, 10:59:17 AM
Finally got dragged into "American Sniper."  Wife 'needed' to know what it was like for me and the boys.  (As much as anyone can 'know' fm watching a movie.) My son was with us.

I will say that Eastwood did well enough to capture the, I dunno, feel, I guess.  I did find myself tensed up, but more during Kyles' time btwn tours.   

The best part of the movie for me was at the end.  As the final credits rolled, when the usual conversations, grabassery, texting, tweeting and after movie bullshit begins....there was absolute silence.  Not one fucking word fm the packed theater.   

Wow.  Different generation, but I remember going to see Apocalypse Now with my husband.  Same thing.  The end of the movie was planes dropping napalm with the credits running over the fire.  The entire screen was on fire.  Not one sound from anyone in the theater.  We all even filed out in silence.  And when we got home he said the same thing.  "The feel was right."  He bought the movie when it came out on VHS and was really upset that the fire at the end was missing. 

Eddie Coyle

Watched Heat the other night for the first time in a long time. Liked the movie a lot when I first saw it on HBO in Feb, 1997. The acting is top notch, but the Michael Mann contrivances irk me now. The movie is at least 40 minutes too long, the personal lives of Pacino and De Niro are maudlin and overwrought. The antagonists/protagonists having a big "night on the town" gathering with friends and family seems straight out of a trash can of rejected scripts for Thirtysomething.

Ultimately, the Waingro character is the biggest flaw. De Niro's character is presented as a near genius, who doesn't make his move without thinking of his last...but somehow allows a biker-type who to become part of his crew for a major heist. Oh, and he's a serial killer on the side(Pacino's covering those cases as well. I mean, it's Los Angeles 1995, I think one homicide detective would probably handle every murder that would occur in that small burg) and De Niro in his sitdown with Pacino says "Do I have a 'Born to Lose' tattoo?"....well, isn't he describing Waingro?

It's a good movie, but Michael Mann, being the dichotomous fuckface that he is, employs actual cops/robbers for technical expertise-adding a verisimilitude to the crime scenes(Thief from '81 moreso) but then undercuts that realism with unwieldy subplots and ultimately deus ex machinas.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 03:23:36 PM
    Watched Heat the other night for the first time in a long time. Liked the movie a lot when I first saw it on HBO in Feb, 1997. The acting is top notch, but the Michael Mann contrivances irk me now. The movie is at least 40 minutes too long, the personal lives of Pacino and De Niro are maudlin and overwrought. The antagonists/protagonists having a big "night on the town" gathering with friends and family seems straight out of a trash can of rejected scripts for Thirtysomething.

Try the made for TV version of the same script and it's only 93 minutes long :-)

It gets a lot of hate from fans of Heat... but I much prefer the pacing, and for an 80s made-for-TV movie it's pretty good.
Plus it has Xander Berkeley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFsPDzSbgts

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: missing transmission on February 19, 2015, 04:11:51 PM
Try the made for TV version of the same script and it's only 93 minutes long :-)

It gets a lot of hate from fans of Heat... but I much prefer the pacing, and for an 80s made-for-TV movie it's pretty good.
Plus it has Xander Berkeley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFsPDzSbgts

Thanks for mentioning this TV-movie, which was quite good and I remember watching it on NBC'S Sunday Night Movie in '89. I'd appreciate it's spartan quality compared to Mann's excesses with a bigger budget. His first post-Miami Vice project, I think.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 04:17:38 PM
      Thanks for mentioning this TV-movie, which was quite good and I remember watching it on NBC'S Sunday Night Movie in '89. I'd appreciate it's spartan quality compared to Mann's excesses with a bigger budget. His first post-Miami Vice project, I think.

Maybe I just have a poor memory, but I find it a bit amazing that you remember that you watched that movie on NBC on a Sunday night in '89.  What was the weather that night?  Did you enjoy any good snacks while enjoying the movie?   ;D

onan

Quote from: ManiacMatt on February 19, 2015, 04:34:41 PM
Maybe I just have a poor memory, but I find it a bit amazing that you remember that you watched that movie on NBC on a Sunday night in '89.  What was the weather that night?  Did you enjoy any good snacks while enjoying the movie?   ;D

Eidetic memory... the Coyle is the real deal.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ManiacMatt on February 19, 2015, 04:34:41 PM

August 27, 1989. Actually, a fairly cool day for Boston that time of year, it was mostly sunny but only 72-75 degrees. Can't recall what I ate, but played baseball in a schoolyard most of the afternoon. Basically the last week of summer vacation(I was 14). Rather uneventful. Football practice most days. I saw Casulaties of War on August 31, then Bart Giamatti died that Friday 9/1 leading to Labor Day Weekend. Got shitfaced every day that weekend.

I don't have full fledged hyperthymesia, but not far off.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: onan on February 19, 2015, 04:41:00 PM
Eidetic memory... the Coyle is the real deal.

I'm disappointed that Scanners like ability didn't come along with it.

onan

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 05:00:14 PM

God truly hates us.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 05:00:14 PM

Is it correct to say that you remember dates and events associated with those dates that you experienced, but not every detail of things that you read?  In other words, it didn't really help you pass college exams, but you remember almost everything you did and when.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: ManiacMatt on February 19, 2015, 05:06:22 PM
Is it correct to say that you remember dates and events associated with those dates that you experienced, but not every detail of things that you read?  In other words, it didn't really help you pass college exams, but you remember almost everything you did and when.

Yes, I'm not somebody who can just scan The Fountainhead or Ulysses and absorb it in 10 minutes like the speedreader photographic memory types can. But, I do have that ability with numbers, dates in particular. You could give me a roster of 200 employees and I could tell you all of  their seniority and birthdates, by just reading that sheet of paper for maybe 5 minutes. And retain it, 20 years later.

Remembering everything is not always beneficial, especially to a neurotic with negative inclinations like me. Instant recall of mistakes made on Sunday, 2/19/84 can bother you on 2/19/15. The past is always present.

Quote from: onan on February 19, 2015, 05:05:47 PM
God truly hates us.

I think we're all Dung Beetles next time around. God is a mutha.

I used to remember every little slight, intentional or unintentional, and play it over and over for months or longer.  It was awful and I suffered from severe depression.  Now the lead, solvents, and oxygen deprivation have taken their toll.  I barely remember anything and I'm much more content.

just watched MST3K episode 520: Outlaw (of Gor)

and will be viewing Season 4 of Game of Thrones over the next several days.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 05:36:27 PM
Yes, I'm not somebody who can just scan The Fountainhead or Ulysses and absorb it in 10 minutes like the speedreader photographic memory types can.

I was scanning Ulysses last night on a Kindle (seriously). It tracks even stranger on such a device.  I think it's the smaller page intervals throwing it off, making it more clipped feeling than ever.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 05:36:27 PM
       I think we're all Dung Beetles next time around. God is a mutha.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Dung Beetles!

(Television cameras pull way back to include four giant spheres on the stage set up with the musicians. The audience assumes the spheres are an artistic statement, but the scent of camel dung wafting from the rock band hints at four midnight suns composed of beetle larvae.

The Egyptian Invasion has arrived.)

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on February 19, 2015, 08:04:49 PM

I was scanning Ulysses last night on a Kindle (seriously). It tracks even stranger on such a device.  I think it's the smaller page intervals throwing it off, making it more clipped feeling than ever.

About 100 pages into Ulysses, I surmised it would eventually be a rock opera or a BBC series with Yahoo Serious, so I stopped reading because I would have felt foolish reading a book when a perfectly dumbed down version existed. Time will prove me right.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 03:23:36 PM
       It's a good movie, but Michael Mann, being the dichotomous fuckface that he is, employs actual cops/robbers for technical expertise-adding a verisimilitude to the crime scenes(Thief from '81 moreso) but then undercuts that realism with unwieldy subplots and ultimately deus ex machinas.
Plus, Thief had a soundtrack by Tangerine Dream - never a bad idea.

MV/Liberace!

I watched Boyhood over the weekend.  The whole thing is a lump of shit waste of time.  DO NOT pay to see this movie.  It's 166 minutes of disconnected moments that ultimately go nowhere, and it's all accented by poor acting and underdeveloped characters who simply disappear.  Two hours and forty four motherfucking minutes, people.  I say again:  Go watch your cat lick his own ass instead.  In the end, it'll be far more rewarding.  He might even give you a wink upon completion.

Directed by Richard Linklater, Boyhood's intended and singular appeal springs entirely from a gimmick.  It was filmed over the course of a 12 year period so you see the actors aging as the film unfolds.  The main character is a young boy who, by the end of the film, grows into a frustratingly dull, mumbling, greasy haired, feminized, dead eyed weakling college freshman who isn't someone you'd ever care to know.  At all.  Beyond his mother's bad choices in men and the relatively subtle fallout this kid faces as a result, he brings to the screen a complete lack of any real life experience or compelling personal history to justify his incessant introspection and coffee shop philosophising.  He reminds me of numerous 17-21 year old males I've known and wanted to punch in the face.  The biggest problem with the film is encapsulated in the fact that its creators obviously didn't intend me to feel this way about the kid.

I used the word "gimmick" earlier, and a more proper use of the word there's never been.  The accolades sloppily heaped upon this movie have baffled me.  But for the 12 year production schedule, you'd never even know this film existed because it's so otherwise vapid and empty that nobody would be talking about it.

Fuck you, buddy.  Now go make me a mocha latte, and let me hear that nice little "futility of life" speech of yours again.  Gets me all worked up.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on February 19, 2015, 11:26:25 PM
Plus, Thief had a soundtrack by Tangerine Dream - never a bad idea.

A good soundtrack, but oddly the finale that apes "Comfortably Numb" was by Craig Safan with no connection to Tangerine Dream which lead to some bad feelings between them and Mann. Excellent, understated movie...which kinda bombed.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 19, 2015, 10:12:14 PM
   About 100 pages into Ulysses, I surmised it would eventually be a rock opera or a BBC series with Yahoo Serious, so I stopped reading because I would have felt foolish reading a book when a perfectly dumbed down version existed. Time will prove me right.

Hopefully you picked it up again after page 500 when all the raunchiness and talks of double teaming whores picks up.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on February 19, 2015, 11:44:13 PM
Hopefully you picked it up again after page 500 when all the raunchiness and talks of double teaming whores picks up.

It's still in my possession, gathering dust in the attic, but maybe I'll allow it back into gen pop. The double teaming of whores should make for an interesting passage in that rock opera I prophesied.

Centurion40

Saw Kingsmen and really enjoyed it.

Also saw Jupiter Ascending, and it couldn't decide if it was Dune or Transformers 3.

pyewacket

Quote from: MV on February 19, 2015, 11:35:45 PM
I watched Boyhood over the weekend.  The whole thing is a lump of shit waste of time.  DO NOT pay to see this movie.  It's 166 minutes of disconnected moments that ultimately go nowhere, and it's all accented by poor acting and underdeveloped characters who simply disappear... 

Fuck you, buddy.  Now go make me a mocha latte, and let me hear that nice little "futility of life" speech of yours again.  Gets me all worked up.

Excellent review! The young Mexican guy working on the house was the most likeable character and didn't need a 12 year storyline.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: pyewacket on February 20, 2015, 11:52:23 AM
Excellent review! The young Mexican guy working on the house was the most likeable character and didn't need a 12 year storyline.

Haha, yeah, I forgot about him, you're right.

b_dubb

"The Man In The High Castle" has been given the given the green light to start production on a full series

albrecht

"Last of the Dogmen". Again. I dont know why but I like this movie n watch whenever its on. Cool concept n I guess wishfull thinking? Even better than Bigfeet.

paladin1991

Quote from: albrecht on February 20, 2015, 11:54:23 PM
"Last of the Dogmen". Again. I dont know why but I like this movie n watch whenever its on. Cool concept n I guess wishfull thinking? Even better than Bigfeet.
I own a copy.  Pull it out every now and again.  The fam and I enjoy it.

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 19, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
,Bosch

Quote from: onan on February 19, 2015, 01:01:33 PM
agreed

Concur.
Thanks for the rec.  In the middle of it now. 

albrecht

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 19, 2015, 11:24:58 AM
,Bosch

Are the shows the same as the books or all new material just using the character?