• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 02:47:20 PM
Nah, I didn't sit in a chair much until I cross trained into programming. This was my winter job for the first 5 years I was in the Air Force

What about this?

onan

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 02:48:40 PM
I think we should reinstate the draft. Maybe then we would think twice about going to war.

If there were no dodges due to political influence, I would be there with you.

Auslandia

I think we should reinstate the draft. Maybe then we would think twice about going to war.

Well then you'd probably have a BIG backlash akin to the 60s anti war movement.  I bet lots of mothers and fathers supporting foreign wars would suddenly lose their resolve if their beloved son's number came up.  Just a guess.

It's not human! I'm ashamed of the Army now...

GravitySucks

I'm all for that.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: Auslandia on February 29, 2016, 02:53:05 PM
Well then you'd probably have a BIG backlash akin to the 60s anti war movement.  I bet lots of mothers and fathers supporting foreign wars would suddenly lose their resolve if their beloved son's number came up.  Just a guess.

Exactly!

onan

Quote from: rekcuf on February 29, 2016, 02:56:11 PM
It's not human! I'm ashamed of the Army now...

They were starting to weed out obese and very overweight people when I was getting out. Still a problem huh?

Quote from: onan on February 29, 2016, 02:57:54 PM
They were starting to weed out obese and very overweight people when I was getting out. Still a problem huh?

Not in the infantry. Support units tho... If you're overweight: no promotion!

PKaiser

Quote from: Auslandia on February 29, 2016, 02:13:04 PM
Right because the ones who voted for the last disaster of a leader were so much more intelligent?  Get over it man.  Americans are fucking dumb and we elect dumb asses to office.

Sadly, with the exception of one in my lifetime you are correct.

GravitySucks

Quote from: onan on February 29, 2016, 02:48:54 PM
That is one heck of an air strip.

This was not my favorite day on the 4-man.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:02:36 PM
This was not my favorite day on the 4-man.

It's that your head on the side rail?

Auslandia

Quote from: rekcuf on February 29, 2016, 03:00:38 PM
Not in the infantry. Support units tho... If you're overweight: no promotion!

I don't know if the army's different but in the Navy if you don't rank up you're out

Did you beat the Jamaican Air Force?...

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 03:03:40 PM
It's that your head on the side rail?

I wasn't driving that sled, I was riding number two. That is the driver, he got knocked out. We landed back on our runners with him passed out on top of me. I got him inside the sled the best I could and had to ride the rest of the way down with no driver.

Auslandia

Quote from: rekcuf on February 29, 2016, 03:06:01 PM

I lol'd here. Thank you

PKaiser

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 02:14:42 PM
Hey shut up, trickle down economics was a roaring success.

Actually in the 1980s it was. Reagan cut income taxes across the board (after briefly being snookered by the then speaker of the House Tip O'Neal, who conned him into raising taxes at the start of his first term) and income to the treasury grew from roughly $400 billion a year to a trillion dollars a year and led to the greatest period of sustained growth in United States history, almost 25 years of it.

Meanwhile, yesterday this country under Obama just passed another dubious record: the United States GDP grew LESS that 3% for the tenth year in a row, something that has NEVER happened here.

GravitySucks

Quote from: rekcuf on February 29, 2016, 03:06:01 PM

The Jamaicans didn't start until start until 1992. I slid from 1975-1980. We had a Jamaican on our team in 75-76, but he chose not to come back. Something about preferring warmth.

onan

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:06:10 PM
I wasn't driving that sled, I was riding number two. That is the driver, he got knocked out. We landed back on our runners with him passed out on top of me. I got him inside the sled the best I could and had to ride the rest of the way down with no driver.

Does crapping your pants slow down the sled? Cuz, if it does, I would have stopped you easily.

GravitySucks

Quote from: onan on February 29, 2016, 03:08:25 PM
Does crapping your pants slow down the sled? Cuz, if it does, I would have stopped you easily.

LOL, there have been instances of people losing their shit (literally) and never coming back. I never tipped over driving the two man. Came close once, rode on two runners until we could both lean it back down.

Never tipped over in the 4 man until 1979-80. That picture was 12/31/79. The other wreck ended my career. It was right before the 80 Olympics. I crushed both ulnar nerves and had paralyzed hands (Papal Syndrome) for 15-18 months. Nerves finally grew back, and I am mostly fine now.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: PKaiser on February 29, 2016, 03:08:20 PM
Actually in the 1980s it was

I disagree.
It was for the rich.  The idea was if you cut taxes for the rich they would then spend all their billions of dollars saved which would then trickle down to us lesser folks. It didn't work out that way. They tend to hold on to their riches. I also think Reagan knew that when he implemented that tax cut.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:14:19 PM
LOL, there have been instances of people losing their shit (literally) and never coming back. I never tipped over driving the two man. Came close once, rode on two runners until we could both lean it back down.

Never tipped over in the 4 man until 1979-80. That picture was 12/31/79. The other wreck ended my career. It was right before the 80 Olympics. I crushed both ulnar nerves and had paralyzed hands (Papal Syndrome) for 15-18 months. Nerves finally grew back, and I am mostly fine now.

I'm glad you're OK

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 03:18:23 PM
I disagree.
It was for the rich.  The idea was if you cut taxes for the rich they would then spend all their billions of dollars saved which would then trickle down to us lesser folks. It didn't work out that way. They tend to hold on to their riches. I also think Reagan knew that when he implemented that tax cut.

The government does not create jobs (well, today it does, but it shouldn't ), businesses create jobs. If business take in money and have to pay it in taxes, there is less money to spend on expansion, R&D and keeping people employed. Cutting taxes allows companies to employee more people. These people, in turn pay income taxes and spend money in their local communities. The shops in those local communities employee people that pay taxes and buy stuff too. If the government takes your money in taxes, it is taken out of that local economy and is not used to grow the economy.

That's about as simple as I can explain it.

All of those evil corporations are mostly public companies. Their shareholders make money on dividends and stock prices rising in value. 

You can believe it or don't. Lower taxes will always result in a better economy. If you want less of something (like cigarettes) tax the shit out of it.  So if taxes are high, there is no reason for someone to take money and run the risk of starting or expanding a business into new markets/products. When taxes go up, you can either raise prices or cut costs. Cutting costs, usually means finding a way to do the same work with less people.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 03:18:23 PM
I disagree.
The whole 'rising tide will lift all boats' philosophy didnt work like ti should have- but it was something.

What we have now are people who pay little to no taxes getting huge refund checks (for having children they cannot afford) while businesses and hard working families are being crushed to subsidize these people.

Those 1980s tax cuts helped bring in the relativity stable times of the 90s - You have to also take into account that without nafta and other "free trade' agreements those cuts would have helped much, much more.

The folks who could really be helping to bolster the economy with spending are being taxed to death. businesses that would love to hire are being taxed to death along with over-regulated. We are entering a perfect storm of economic chaos if something isnt done.

GravitySucks

Quote from: Roswells, Art on February 29, 2016, 03:22:13 PM
I'm glad you're OK

Thanks. It was a wake up call. It told me it was time to get serious about getting my degree so I could eventually grow up and be an adult. I got my degree. I still have troubles with the latter.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:32:24 PM
Thanks. It was a wake up call. It told me it was time to get serious about getting my degree so I could eventually grow up and be an adult. I got my degree. I still have troubles with the latter.
Good- being an Adult is so overrated.

onan

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:30:27 PM
The government does not create jobs (well, today it does, but it shouldn't ), businesses create jobs. If business take in money and have to pay it in taxes, there is less money to spend on expansion, R&D and keeping people employed. Cutting taxes allows companies to employee more people. This people, in turn pay income taxes and spend money in their local communities. The shops in those local communities employee people that pay tapes and buy stuff too. If the government takes your money in taxes, it is taken out of that local economy and is not used to grow the economy.

That's about as simple as I can explain it.

All of those evil corporations are mostly public companies. Their shareholders make money on dividends and stock prices rising in value. 

You can believe it or don't. Lower taxes will always result in a better economy. If you want less of something (like cigarettes) tax the shit out of it.  So if taxes are high, there is no reason for someone to take money and run the risk of starting or expanding a business into new markets/products. When taxes go up, you can either raise prices or cut costs. Cutting costs, usually means finding a way to do the same work with less people.
Then explain why our economy was the most robust when tax rates for the wealthy were at 90%?

I do think taxes can be prohibitive. But I also think, not regulating where businesses put their money hurts the economy.

Believe what you want, but trickle down economics has never worked. Wages have stagnated for decades even with lowered taxes.

Roswells, Art

Quote from: GravitySucks on February 29, 2016, 03:30:27 PM
The government does not create jobs (well, today it does, but it shouldn't ), businesses create jobs. If business take in money and have to pay it in taxes, there is less money to spend on expansion, R&D and keeping people employed. Cutting taxes allows companies to employee more people. These people, in turn pay income taxes and spend money in their local communities. The shops in those local communities employee people that pay taxes and buy stuff too. If the government takes your money in taxes, it is taken out of that local economy and is not used to grow the economy
Do you think any of those people got higher wages during this? We were in a recession.  They took the money they saved in taxes and kept it.

DarKPenguiN

Quote from: onan on February 29, 2016, 03:36:25 PM
Then explain why our economy was the most robust when tax rates for the wealthy were at 90%?

I do think taxes can be prohibitive. But I also think, not regulating where businesses put their money hurts the economy.

Believe what you want, but trickle down economics has never worked. Wages have stagnated for decades even with lowered taxes.
Sure-

The Nation was pristine and regulation was nearly non existent.

Its really simple. The 90% tax on the millionaires was fine as a quick cash injection but wasnt something that could be relied on long term. Especially in a 'global economy' like todays.

You are comparing two different worlds. One still had uncharted wilderness and very few shackles or barriors to entrepreneurs.

-man- This needs a thread... Any type of governmental philosophy that was able to conquer the new World had it made and would be relatively succesful. Even communism could have flourished here had it been here from the start . There were untapped resources the likes of which the old world had never seen and a real drive to exploit these wonders.

Anyhow, thats a book or even a series of books