• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Andrew Breitbart: why the left hated him

I MISS Andrew everyday. One of the greatest men I ever knew. RIP, brother.

Andrew Breitbart why the left hated him

b_dubb

Also an atheist.  Odd that you are  so fond of him.  Do you also hold up  Ayn Rand as an example?  Except the atheist bit?

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 10:07:57 AM
Also an atheist.  Odd that you are  so fond of him.  Do you also hold up  Ayn Rand as an example?  Except the atheist bit?

And right on cue, you, once again, display your complete ignorance.

Please, proceed with more. There is merriment in which to indulge.

b_dubb

must have confused him with another right wing talking head.  odd that his wiki entry has almost nothing about whatever the fuck he believes. if he isn't an atheist he only pays christianity lip service.  that guy is way too angry to be a christian.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 10:38:18 AM
must have confused him with another right wing talking head.  odd that his wiki entry has almost nothing about whatever the fuck he believes. if he isn't an atheist he only pays christianity lip service.  that guy is way too angry to be a christian.

Wow.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 11:27:17 AM

two can play at that game

And your commie, filthy, heathen ass H A S been reported, sir!

b_dubb

Such name calling. And from a follower of Christ!? Time to put down the scotch and head to your designated worship center for re-indoctrination.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 11:54:18 AM
Such name calling. And from a follower of Christ!? Time to put down the scotch and head to your designated worship center for re-indoctrination.

you release the crack pipe, and we can discuss this on neutral ground. Say, First Baptist Church on North Kings Highway, in Myrtle Beach. There is still hope for you, brother.

b_dubb

You're a Baptist.  That explains everything.

You're the one on crack sir.  Christ crack. 

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 01:56:27 PM

I thought he was a heroin addict. No?  Either way, he's only Christian in name. He has as much in common with Jesus as George Bush, oh wait. Damn.

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 01:56:27 PM

Oh, no. Not me. I always try to keep a little distance between me and the Baptists. They are a little too crazy, even for me. However, I thought it would be a humorous juxtaposition with you and the Baptist....neutral ground. I didn't expect you to get it.

Christ's crack?? Wow. You ARE one edgy youngster.

analog kid

Quote from: FightTheFuture on January 31, 2015, 10:02:10 AM
Andrew Breitbart: why the left hated him

I MISS Andrew everyday. One of the greatest men I ever knew. RIP, brother.

Andrew Breitbart why the left hated him

A political provocateur and a shit stirrer who lived atop a bullshit mountain of lies. That's who you consider a great man? You think about that guy every day? Goddamn.

b_dubb

Quote from: analog kid on January 31, 2015, 08:02:02 PM
A political provocateur and a shit stirrer who lived atop a bullshit mountain of lies. That's who you consider a great man? You think about that guy every day? Goddamn.
And by all accounts a drunk. I wonder what drove him to drink himself to death?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: b_dubb on January 31, 2015, 11:38:15 PM
And by all accounts a drunk. I wonder what drove him to drink himself to death?

Knowing F t F thought about him? Some deep feelings he couldn't reconcile. Maybe.

b_dubb

"The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon Prime. The pilot is really interesting. I hope it gets picked up.

Quote from: b_dubb on February 01, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
"The Man In The High Castle" on Amazon Prime. The pilot is really interesting. I hope it gets picked up.

Watched the first one, and it was good. It followed the plot of the book closely. I just hope if it's picked up it doesn't suffer from Under the Dome syndrome and outlive it's plotline.

yumyumtree

7 Minutes 2014

Special preview of a heist drama shot in and around Everett and Snohomish which will be released this summer. Low-budget, but you get to see Craig Skotdal's(local real estate tycoon) apt. And lots and lots of shots of the Hewitt Ave. trestle and stuff like that. Probably nobody in it you've heard of except Kris Kristofferson, and his part is quite small.

pate

The Fisher King (1991)

After the Super Bowl for some reason I decided to watch the The Fisher King, believe it or not I'd never seen it before.  This is the thinking man's Tropic Thunder.  I could watch it many times and still proabably notice some new dot to connect...

It was early in the movie that I first picked up a notebook to scribble down some notes, the Nietzche quote in this scene:

the fisher king (1991) - monologue

"...Nietzche says there are two kinds of people in the world:  people who are destined for greatness like Walt Disney and Hitler, then there's the rest of us.  He called us the bungled and the botched..."

Since I was watching this movie late at night instead of listening to a certain radio host, this quote naturally struck me as noteworthy, I hope I am not the only one able to make that connection...

The movie was indeed quite enjoyable, outside of that one odd seemingly coincidental quote.  Perhaps it was a strange sort of confirmation bias, or just more coincidence but another scene later caused me to grab up the pad and paper to make note of another noteworthy scene:

Michael Jeter Delivers a Message in The Fisher King

For some reason, I was reminded of a certain moustachioed host, and perhaps what he might look like after weeks of intensive P90x training, and as a further coincidence we might add a penchant for the karaoke?  I digress, this is more in keeping with the light humor that balances this dramedy (I note that a dramedy can either be a classhic, or Classical Comedy-Drama, or Tragedy-Drama which at this point in the film isn't so clear, truly a masterful work, more on this subject later on...)

The next point that I grabbed up the pen and paper happened in the scene where Lydia visits the video store for the first time, I jotted down a hurried "...Movie scene selection scene with Lydia & Harry... coincidence in a thread about movies..."  Which was rather cryptic after the movie was over so I reviewed clips of the scene that I could find online and all I could come up with to makes sense of that 'noteworthy' moment was this (a still will suffice):

[attachimg=1]
With the earlier Pinnochio (the liar) connection and the movie "Roxanne" promeninently (coincidentally?) left on the shelf was perhaps what was noteworthy?  I observe that Roxanne was based on Cyrano de Bergerac, a play with the loose plot line of a dumb guy that is fed lines by someone (3x5 cards?), but still flubs the lines on delivery, coincidence?  Some say yes, some emphatically say NO!

Also, throughout the film I noticed things that reminded me of the actor Jeff Bridges later career, notably The Men Who Stare At Goats (Major E. D.?) and The Big Lebowski (The Dude)

In the final act of the movie, when Harry is being visited at the Asylum by Lydia, there is a short musical number where Harry's fellow patients had the distinct look of the Classhical Greeks in toga, which further reminded me of the Classical Drama Comedy/Tragedy idea.  This movie, I think is an excellent example of that, something that when people think of your memorable films/radio shows they have something specific in mind, for instance pick about any Art Bell show, the man is masterful, and memorable.  Contrast that with the Farce (I think that's another classhic Greek form of 'theatre' surely Roman if not Greek), for instance your most memorable shows/performances are those of the Clown:  burning your mouth with food you aren't smart enough to spit out, or shaving off half of your signature moustache.  I feel like there is a distinction between the serious ARTist, and the Clown, both are performers, but one you get tired of after awhile I think... I digress, apologies.

the fisher king

The scene above is I believe the final Act/scene of the movie, in it there is a vague reference to Cloud Busting (bursting?) which was mentioned in an earlier night-time Central Park scene in the movie, the scene where Harry gets nekkid and acts nutty.  There's the Men Who Stare at Goats connection I made.  The Dude/Lebowski connection I just made by the way Bridges portrayed Jack (the radio shock jock that starts the movie out in a particularly bloody fashion).

Anyhow, a great movie, even if you don't make the same coincidental connections I seem to here.

On that note, if I were an aspiring future Paranormal Radio Host, I think I would create the field of Paranormal Broadcast Media (covering both radio and television/film) and write a Master's Thesis contrasting/comparing this fine film with C2CAM (beginning-present).  I think the title would be something along these lines:

"Prophesy, Paranormal and the World of Non-coincidence:  A study of the film "The Fisher King" and the history of the Coast to Coast radio programme from the Art Bell years to the George Noory years"

I think were I to write such a tome, I would focus on the prophetic nature of The Dude character and the Cloud Busting idea in the career of Jeff Bridges.  Then I would make strange connections dealing with parallel dimensions that would seem to make a fun-house mirror of the relationship of the story archs of both the movie and the history of the show as it transitioned from host to host.  I saw Noory in many of the characters, and I saw Art in many of the characters, sometimes different aspects of each host reflected in the same character, hence the prophetic vs. parallel angle.  Of course, that'd mainly be a bunch of entertaining hookum that I would use as yet another opportunity to point out the clowinish, buffoonish aspects of Noory (one of my favorite hobbies).

In closing, I would like to say that as I noticed the "Big Lebowski" connection throught the movie, this one quote from that film kept popping into my mind:

"The Dude abides"

zeebo

I caught the Total Recall (2012) remake on tv the other nite.  Gotta say I thought it was pretty good.  I didn't check on any reviews or anything, but whatever. 

I never read the story it was based on, but it just "felt" more like PKD's works than did the original Arnie flick - with it's mix of reality weirdness, authoritarian conspiracy, grittiness, paranoia - ya know, all the good stuff!

b_dubb

Quote from: zeebo on February 02, 2015, 10:23:48 PM
I caught the Total Recall (2012) remake on tv the other nite.  Gotta say I thought it was pretty good.  I didn't check on any reviews or anything, but whatever. 

I never read the story it was based on, but it just "felt" more like PKD's works than did the original Arnie flick - with it's mix of reality weirdness, authoritarian conspiracy, grittiness, paranoia - ya know, all the good stuff!
Except for that bit where they built a train that runs through the center of the Earth. That bit was frigging moronic in opinion.

zeebo

Quote from: b_dubb on February 02, 2015, 11:46:29 PM
Except for that bit where they built a train that runs through the center of the Earth. That bit was frigging moronic in opinion.

Ok, so maybe a slight stretch there.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 24, 2015, 04:17:04 PM
I'm going to keep on the lookout for it, I'm sure it will be a very interesting read.

Finished it yesterday and highly recommend it to anyone who is or has ever been curious about UFOs.  Without giving anything away, it makes a strong case that the vast majority of sightings can be attributed to whatever top secret aircraft were being developed at any given time, and that various defense and intelligence departments (often without each other's knowledge) have created elaborate and astonishingly extreme disinformation programs to encourage the UFO community to believe we've been visited by ETs.  It doesn't explain everything, but the author did an outstanding job of connecting a lot of dots to create a detailed and fascinating picture of how the perception of UFOs has been carefully managed and manipulated since the late Forties.

Listening to Kevin Randle last night was especially interesting after reading the book, even though he's not mentioned in it.  The book discusses a few military officers and government scientists who were duped by fake documents created by intelligence types into believing UFOs are extra-terrestrial by hinting at the existence of hard evidence that will be revealed when the time is right.  Randle mentioned people who were told by superior officers about the existence of evidence of ETs, but that none of the sources had ever actually seen it themselves. That's consistent with examples cited in the book. Given his military intelligence background, I've long wondered if Randle is part of the disinformation effort, but now I have to wonder if he fell for some of it himself.  It wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Watched the first two eps of Better Call Saul last night and loved it.  The beginning, with him working at the Cinnabon in Omaha, was a clever way to follow through on his bitter throwaway comment about his future when he got his new identity at the end of Breaking Bad, and having Tuco appear was an unexpected twist.  Loved the scene out in the desert where Saul starts plea bargaining.  I was afraid it might not measure up to BB, but so far so good.

pyewacket

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on February 10, 2015, 01:55:49 PM
Watched the first two eps of Better Call Saul last night and loved it.  The beginning, with him working at the Cinnabon in Omaha, was a clever way to follow through on his bitter throwaway comment about his future when he got his new identity at the end of Breaking Bad, and having Tuco appear was an unexpected twist.  Loved the scene out in the desert where Saul starts plea bargaining.  I was afraid it might not measure up to BB, but so far so good.

RGG- I really liked it, too. I think they could have another hit with this one.  :)

coaster

I watched The Theory of Everything. The story of Stephen Hawking's life and illness. I really wish it would have focused more on science, as his illness and love life where the main story of the movie. I still thought it was a great movie. Eddie Redmayne's performance was the best I have seen in a very long time. Before that I saw The Enigma Code, which was also quite good. I suppose I like period pieces. Movies that actually tell a story other than mindless action movies and fart jokes.

pate

Master & Commander (2003) - "Men must be governed."

I loved this movie.  Even though I read the books first, and they completely botched it.

This movie is like three or four O'Brian books from the series mashed together.  For all I know, it was the birth of the "mashup" buzzword.  If that is the case I think it was well done, and only people who actually read stuff (I think there's like three or four of us left) would notice the discrepancies.

I mean compare this to "Starship Troopers" and it could be considered a "text-book" way to do a movie.

Any you Hairy Pooters out there?  Shaddap.  You too LothaR...

note: thinking of posting this clip in the "Book Quotes Thread" just to be a dick...

paladin1991

Quote from: b_dubb on February 01, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
Read the book.  Will look for this.

paladin1991

Finally got dragged into "American Sniper."  Wife 'needed' to know what it was like for me and the boys.  (As much as anyone can 'know' fm watching a movie.) My son was with us.

I will say that Eastwood did well enough to capture the, I dunno, feel, I guess.  I did find myself tensed up, but more during Kyles' time btwn tours.   

The best part of the movie for me was at the end.  As the final credits rolled, when the usual conversations, grabassery, texting, tweeting and after movie bullshit begins....there was absolute silence.  Not one fucking word fm the packed theater.