Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dyna-X on June 27, 2018, 12:58:30 AM
Goodnight, all...
The thread went eerily silent.

Lame guest. :(

Sean92008

Night all.  Listening to Spooky Southcoast right after MitD...  Oh crap...  I heard this one already!  Aye carumba!!!

TigerLily

Quote from: Dyna-X on June 27, 2018, 12:58:30 AM
Goodnight, all...
The thread went eerily silent.

Don't know about everyone else but I got completely wrapped up in that story

Fascinating story. Another great show and great company. Night all

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: TigerLily on June 27, 2018, 01:04:52 AM
Don't know about everyone else but I got completely wrapped up in that story

Fascinating story. Another great show and great company. Night all

Yeah but you also think Hillary is innocent and Trump is a Russian agent. :D

Dark Ghost

TigerLily, if you don't respond to that ubiquitous idiot I will lick your belly button, lol 

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Dark Ghost on June 27, 2018, 01:12:14 AM
TigerLily, if you don't respond to that ubiquitous idiot I will lick your belly button, lol

Hi Lasha! :D

Quote from: Dark Ghost on June 27, 2018, 01:12:14 AM

This shit with the ominous avatars has gotten old.  I joined in a bit for a lark but, Good Lord, get a new schtick.  The ominous avatars have been done to death.  They've been old hat since the days when Woody Allen and Mel Brooks first broke into the comedy business.  Anybody that uses them routinely are dinosaurs!  Good grief.  ::)

Jojo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 26, 2018, 12:21:30 AM
I know you are trying to be funny but I'm mad about the issue. I have some Cherokee blood too so I have a lot of sympathy for Indians. Create a new award for that.  No reason to take it away from Wilder.
I was being serious, not sarcastic!  I lived on a reservation for many years.  Wilder's original copy said, "There were no people in that area, only savages".  After a certain year, that part was censored to say it a little more mildly.  There are Native American children in public schools all over the country.  Can you imagine reading that when you're 7, that an award winning author didn't even consider your ancestors to be people!  Maybe they should leave the award with Wilder but just change the name of the award to "White person's award", lol.
Fourteen

Quote from: 14 on June 27, 2018, 02:11:57 AM
I was being serious, not sarcastic!  I lived on a reservation for many years.  Wilder's original copy said, "There were no people in that area, only savages".  After a certain year, that part was censored to say it a little more mildly.  There are Native American children in public schools all over the country.  Can you imagine reading that when you're 7, that an award winning author didn't even consider your ancestors to be people!  Maybe they should leave the award with Wilder but just change the name of the award to "White person's award", lol.
Fourteen

Well, you might have a different opinion if the Sioux scalped your neighbors.  Just sayin'!  There are no heroes in the Indian Wars but plenty of villains on both sides.  I differentiate that from what the Cherokees were put through.  The Cherokees were a civilized nation and were betrayed by Jackson who pretended to be their friend.  The Sioux were just nasty and some whites like Chivington were no better.

Sean92008

Well, I downloaded The Darkness app for Android...

Other than not updating the Mr. Winnie bio, I found this cute feature for the kids...

Coloring pages!

Is Bart Ell's collection of pre-drawn art in his app?   Noooooo!  (Not that I checked...)

The battle of #LEGACY?!?!?!

Metron2267

Quote from: spookcat on June 26, 2018, 06:01:34 PM
"Truck stop sushi" only reminds me of the Futurama episode where Fry eats a truck stop tuna sandwich and becomes a host for intellectual parasites.  :)

Check this out - it's actually a band:

https://www.bandmix.com/truckstopsushi/

Metron2267

Quote from: WeinerInHand on June 26, 2018, 06:10:34 PM
NEVER eat sushi at a truck stop!
(That's day one stuff)
Hahaha! I'll find a sushi bar in Livingston and get a sampler plate, some Japanese beer, and some saki and we'll see how it goes...
I will also try wasabi for the first time!
I've been to the Iowa 80 and the Joplin Petro and quite a few others, many times over.
My phone can only record five minute segments but I'll give it a go the next time I'm through - for bellgab!

Ha!

You rock, dispatches from the road are the best.

Make sure that sake is warmed. ;)

Metron2267

Quote from: TigerLily on June 26, 2018, 11:36:06 PM
We're just ahead of the curve. We're listening to the future flagship of latenight radio. Mark my words

Jimmy Church will beg to differ, mark THOSE words! ;D

Metron2267

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 27, 2018, 02:18:13 AM
Well, you might have a different opinion if the Sioux scalped your neighbors.  Just sayin'!  There are no heroes in the Indian Wars but plenty of villains on both sides.  I differentiate that from what the Cherokees were put through.  The Cherokees were a civilized nation and were betrayed by Jackson who pretended to be their friend.  The Sioux were just nasty and some whites like Chivington were no better.

Point of clarification, not Sioux, rather Lakota.

http://www.lakotacountrytimes.com/news/2009-03-12/guest/021.html

The original translation for Sioux is serpent; it can also be translated viper, adder or snake. The Natives didn't understand these words, but they knew snake, so instead of the original words, snake was used as the translation.

Serpent is one of the names for Lucifer (Wakansica), like Satan or the Devil is. Vipers, adders, snakes or serpents are some of the names for Lucifer's devils or demons.

This word did not and does not come from the Lakota, Dakota or Nakota.

Oglala Lakota Oyate is a proper name not Oglala Sioux Tribe. Tatanka Oyate (Buffalo Nation) or Oceti Sakowin (Seven council fires) is our proper name not Sioux Nation.

This is part one, the translation and meaning of Sioux. Next week will be the origin and history.

In all sincerity and no malice or delude of heart.

Makes Good is a Marine veteran, retired rodeo rider, travels the pow wow circuit, artist, comic strip artist and enjoys spending time with his family. His pet peeve is non-tribal members acting like Lakota medicine men and sundance leaders. He is from Allen, S.D.

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 09:06:58 AM

http://www.lakotacountrytimes.com/news/2009-03-12/guest/021.html

The original translation for Sioux is serpent; it can also be translated viper, adder or snake. The Natives didn't understand these words, but they knew snake, so instead of the original words, snake was used as the translation.

Serpent is one of the names for Lucifer (Wakansica), like Satan or the Devil is. Vipers, adders, snakes or serpents are some of the names for Lucifer's devils or demons.

This word did not and does not come from the Lakota, Dakota or Nakota.

Oglala Lakota Oyate is a proper name not Oglala Sioux Tribe. Tatanka Oyate (Buffalo Nation) or Oceti Sakowin (Seven council fires) is our proper name not Sioux Nation.

This is part one, the translation and meaning of Sioux. Next week will be the origin and history.

In all sincerity and no malice or delude of heart.

Makes Good is a Marine veteran, retired rodeo rider, travels the pow wow circuit, artist, comic strip artist and enjoys spending time with his family. His pet peeve is non-tribal members acting like Lakota medicine men and sundance leaders. He is from Allen, S.D.

Metron, you are a beast. I am starting to think nothing can stop you except...

K_Dubb

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 09:06:58 AM
[/i]

You know, I am generally sympathetic to using endonyms vs. exonyms for the various tribes.  "Lakota" isn't bad, but around here you get Skwxwu7mesh, and good luck with that.

Plus, many of the endonyms translate as "the people who are like us" or "the people who talk like us", where their use by an outsider would be ignorant.

Jackstar

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 27, 2018, 10:45:41 AM
their use by an outsider would be ignorant.

Does this really matter if one doesn't happen to be banging a squaw at the time? Asking for a friend.

cweb

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 09:02:05 AM
Jimmy Church will beg to differ, mark THOSE words! ;D
Heh. Church was the "legacy" before the "legacy."

That's why I hope Dave's MITD becomes the standard for more people. He came in like "hey, this is me. This is how I approach things. Here's my experience. Positive or (constructively) negative, talk to me." No bullshit about being handpicked by Art or some sort of coronation. No drama about discovering a Malibu base or going to Area 51. Just a down to earth approach for content that can at times be anything but.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Jackstar on June 27, 2018, 10:48:50 AM
Does this really matter if one doesn't happen to be banging a squaw at the time? Asking for a friend.

No, it does not.  I don't know about you, but for me it is only when in the throes of passion that the mind turns to matters of nomenclature and etymology.

Metron2267

Quote from: PetePistolwhip on June 27, 2018, 10:19:45 AM
Metron, you are a beast. I am starting to think nothing can stop you except...

Lol, certainly not a mere Gorn... ;)

Metron2267

Quote from: K_Dubb on June 27, 2018, 10:45:41 AM
You know, I am generally sympathetic to using endonyms vs. exonyms for the various tribes.  "Lakota" isn't bad, but around here you get Skwxwu7mesh, and good luck with that.

Plus, many of the endonyms translate as "the people who are like us" or "the people who talk like us", where their use by an outsider would be ignorant.

A relevant contextual addition, so noted. I just tend to eschew the labels of the conquerors, be they Spanish or Euro.

But pronunciation exceptions must at times be made:

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/ows_145359045119698.jpg

Metron2267

Quote from: cweb on June 27, 2018, 10:59:22 AM
Heh. Church was the "legacy" before the "legacy."

That's why I hope Dave's MITD becomes the standard for more people. He came in like "hey, this is me. This is how I approach things. Here's my experience. Positive or (constructively) negative, talk to me." No bullshit about being handpicked by Art or some sort of coronation. No drama about discovering a Malibu base or going to Area 51. Just a down to earth approach for content that can at times be anything but.

100% props to Good Dave - but consider that he isn't the blatant self-promoter and product huckster that Jimmy is. I suspect that's why he's here and not weekend gigging on Premiere (at least in part)...

Jimmy however has mastered the art of talk as well as the pitch - as such Premiere will in due time have to lock him in if they hope to survive as something more than the paranormal version of the Nitecaps for aging insomniac boomers.
::)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 12:13:21 PM
Jimmy however has mastered the art of talk as well as the pitch...

Too FM Rock DJ!

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 27, 2018, 12:19:56 PM

Too FM Rock DJ!

Great gif!

So you tell me who else out there appeals to a younger demographic and has the magic!

Howard Hughes will be a fossil by the time Jorch stops signing extensions to his contract.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 12:22:56 PM
Great gif!

So you tell me who else out there appeals to a younger demographic and has the magic!

Howard Hughes will be a fossil by the time Jorch stops signing extensions to his contract.

No one. We're totally alone. :'(

Metron2267

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on June 27, 2018, 12:24:55 PM
No one. We're totally alone. :'(

<chuckle>

Back to my MU podcasts then  ;)

WeinerInHand

Quote from: Bart Ell on June 26, 2018, 10:40:49 PM
1 Bartcoin for mentioning Bart.
-1 Bartcoin for forgetting to mention the url.

You broke even on that call.

Midnight in the Diner, Ep.2: Earle, Arkansas

Bart Ell

Quote from: WeinerInHand on June 27, 2018, 01:09:23 PM
Midnight in the Diner, Ep.2: Earle, Arkansas

I have created another star!
#KONR

K_Dubb

Quote from: Metron2267 on June 27, 2018, 12:09:25 PM
A relevant contextual addition, so noted. I just tend to eschew the labels of the conquerors, be they Spanish or Euro.

But pronunciation exceptions must at times be made:

http://stmedia.startribune.com/images/ows_145359045119698.jpg

Oh, I wasn't kidding either.