• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20150911 - Art Bell, Open Lines - Live Chat Thread

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 11, 2015, 07:53:06 PM

zeebo

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 11, 2015, 11:38:20 PM
Wouldn't it be a wise move for Atheist to buy god insurance, just in case they are wrong?

Like ya know, I don't accept that I'll have a car accident, but have car and medical insurance just in case.

Yeah but by that logic, so should theists, seeing as how there's so many other gods they must not believe in by definition.

Morgus

Quote from: CoherentBlast on September 11, 2015, 11:39:23 PM
How do you mute the periscope audio?
I go to my computer's sound mixer and mute the Adobe Flash listed there.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: zeebo on September 11, 2015, 11:26:51 PM
I thought it strictly meant they simply "don't have a theism" i.e. "a belief in God".  But seems like you're saying it means they're "anti-theism" i.e. they're "against any belief in God".  I'm actually unsure on this myself so curious.

Atheism simply means we don't believe in a god.  We don't believe because there isn't any evidence.  I would love to see some evidence. I was a Christian for 30 some years and I've never seen any evidence or even a prayer answered.  Our religious friends rely on faith. 

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen."  -Hebrews 11:1

Curious minds may enjoy one of my favorite podcasts, The Thinking Atheist hosted by Seth Andrews.  It is available on iTunes and it is free.  Occasionally he even has religious guests and they have a civilized, polite discussion.  No shouting matches. 

Quote from: WhiteCrow on September 11, 2015, 11:38:20 PM
Wouldn't it be a wise move for Atheist to buy god insurance, just in case they are wrong?

Like ya know, I don't accept that I'll have a car accident, but have car and medical insurance just in case.

I think that's what a lot of church-goers do.  They practice religion 'just in case.'  Not sure they get the whole concept of faith.

Morgus

Quote from: CoherentBlast on September 11, 2015, 11:42:25 PM
Im using firefox on pc  :-[
go to your computer's sound mixer and mute the Adobe Flash listed there.

flimflam384

Periscope needs an in-app mute for the webpage version.  It's difficult getting it mixed right on a Linux setup unlike Windows where you can mute by app.

albrecht

Quote from: brig on September 11, 2015, 11:41:21 PM
Me TOO!!!
I don't have Flash so no dice viewing. Btw, can one get a more beneficial insurance claim if as an atheist claims "act of God" is not a valid rider on the policy?

MABUSE

Jade Helm is like the Buddha...

The REAL Jade Helm is not Jade Helm
**M**

Weirdoradio

I knew that Art was a disinformation agent. His assertion that he was planning on bossing us around/that he is actually Jade Helm just proves it.

Now if only someone could come out with some trademark tinfoil hats, then we'd be all set up to battle his mind control schemes.

JamesMcDonald

What is "atheism"?

Atheism, from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), is defined as "The lack of belief in the existence of any deities." In modern context, atheism can represent several different viewpoints, but is most commonly conceived of as a rejection of belief in gods.

A person can be both atheist and religious, provided that he or she believes in a religion that does not have any deities, such as some forms of Buddhism.

What's agnosticism?

An agnostic is someone who claims they don't know ("weak agnosticism") or it is not possible to know ("strong agnosticism") for certain whether or not gods exist. The term agnosticism comes from Greek: a (without) + gnosis (knowledge).

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/wiki/faq

Kolchak

Quote from: albrecht on September 11, 2015, 11:39:58 PM
Thanks. So there can be atheists who even IF "evidence" was presented would still believe "no." To each their own, but I would think there should be another split in the definitions for those atheists who would change if "evidence" presented itself and those who would not, like some religious people, who would do similarly. Also what is the idea behind beliefs "based on evidence?" Evidence, of course- to use a Norryism- is also a rabbit-hole of discussion....

I don't think any atheist would tell you they wouldn't accept a god exists if they were provided irrefutable evidence. It's just something inherent in the definition.

However, there are anti-theists (such as myself), who would believe that the god of the bible exists if presented with evidence, but would reject him with that knowledge.

Mild Bill

Quote from: zeebo on September 11, 2015, 11:39:49 PM
I'm gonna say I'm an agnostic gnostic, just to mess with people.   :D

Un-Orthodox Neo-Hermetic Panentheist

Morgus

Same idea I had earlier, Art said he is waiting for "JC Jr" to call in to yell at the atheist.

When it falls apart, then we will know until then, it just does a slow slide. I got here late, what maybe going on with the Atheist? What difference does it make, sucks that JC maybe gone. Was a lot of fun. JC jr?

Morgus

JC Jr's voice kinda sounds similar to Michael Jackson's voice to me.

popple

That atheist is sitting in MITD purgatory right now.

Morgus

This gravely voice caller could be a demon caller!

coaster

I think this caller can be confused for a chain smoker

trostol

he should have that clerk on then if he wants a born again lol