• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Things That Annoy You

Started by onan, May 22, 2011, 02:41:35 AM

zeebo

"First forecasts" on your local news.  They tease you with a snippet of weather info, then make you wait through more important stories like craft fairs and new park benches before showing you tomorow's friggin weather.

Quote from: zeebo on April 16, 2015, 12:28:50 AM
"First forecasts" on your local news.  They tease you with a snippet of weather info, then make you wait through more important stories like craft fairs and new park benches before showing you tomorow's friggin weather.

You guys got a new bench?

Why does the United States Postal service have to deliver my tiny parcel from Oregon to Vancouver via Los Angeles?  Doesn't Portland have sorting facilities?

onan

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on April 16, 2015, 04:12:12 PM
Why does the United States Postal service have to deliver my tiny parcel from Oregon to Vancouver via Los Angeles?  Doesn't Portland have sorting facilities?

Over the last 18 months, the USPS has become a major annoyance to me. Not only sending some priority mail through two other states while having an address less than 150 miles from my house, but also taking no responsibility in the loss of two deliveries to me. The postman flat out lied, explaining he had dropped a package at my door, even though I had been home all day working on my yard and painting my front doors.

bateman

Quote from: onan on April 16, 2015, 04:19:56 PM
Over the last 18 months, the USPS has become a major annoyance to me. Not only sending some priority mail through two other states while having an address less than 150 miles from my house, but also taking no responsibility in the loss of two deliveries to me. The postman flat out lied, explaining he had dropped a package at my door, even though I had been home all day working on my yard and painting my front doors.

This happens every motherfucking time I get something delivered USPS. "Ohh, guess you weren't home." No, asshole, you never delivered it. Then I have to walk all the way over to the post office & stand in line with a bunch of troglodytes for half an hour so you can give me the package you should've delivered in the first place.

Quote from: bateman on April 16, 2015, 04:26:12 PM
This happens every motherfucking time I get something delivered USPS. "Ohh, guess you weren't home." No, asshole, you never delivered it. Then I have to walk all the way over to the post office & stand in line with a bunch of troglodytes for half an hour so you can give me the package you should've delivered in the first place.

I've been importing items from Japan, Hong Kong, what have you, for the last several years and on more than one occasion, I've sat in the living room, waiting for a package to be delivered most of a day, only to peak outside and find a slip. Fuckers didn't even knock.

wr250

Quote from: TheMan WhoFell ToEarth on April 16, 2015, 04:40:10 PM
I've been importing items from Japan, Hong Kong, what have you, for the last several years and on more than one occasion, I've sat in the living room, waiting for a package to be delivered most of a day, only to peak outside and find a slip. Fuckers didn't even knock.
here they just shove the slip in your mailbox. never even come to your door.

jazmunda

This happened to me too. I have video footage of the dude just slipping the slip in the box and not even ringing the doorbell. And I was home. Fuckers.

wr250

Quote from: jazmunda on April 16, 2015, 06:10:38 PM
This happened to me too. I have video footage of the dude just slipping the slip in the box and not even ringing the doorbell. And I was home. Fuckers.

so aussie postmen are as lazy as us postman then ...

Heather Wade

Every time a package is actually delivered, I consider that a lucky damn day.

On to other things that annoy me... Doug Benson.  Not sure why that guy annoys me, he's funny, but his stoner persona just seems so forced.

If it's important, use Fed Ex

Airlines: a neighbor of mine was flying to Philadelphia from Greenville-Spartanburg but they flew her to Chicago then to Philadelphia and the same back wards to G_S.
I took a flight from G-S to Trinidad last year that flew me from G-S to NJ then to Dallas then to Trinidad 14 hours of air time. Sort of the same crazy thing with USPS sending your mail all around rather than   more direct. All are loosing money and it seems to be their fuel costs.

onan

Quote from: Paper*Boy on April 16, 2015, 08:39:41 PM
If it's important, use Fed Ex

This should be top right... no it's not funny or quirky... but goddamn it is the absolute truth.

area51drone

Quote from: onan on April 16, 2015, 04:19:56 PM

FYI, whomever sent that to you is ultimately responsible.  I don't know if this was goods purchased or something else, but if it was goods purchased then make sure you let the seller know.  They know very well that they are responsible for it not showing up.   I will say that, though, as a person who sends out thousands of packages a week, the post office is overall the most reliable of the three big guys (UPS/FedEx/USPS), as long as you have the correct address.    I would say their accuracy in delivery is 99.99%, and I'm not joking.

Also, make sure you check parcel lockers and if you were expecting a box, sometimes stuff comes in envelopes with your regular mail, even when you think it should be in a box.    If you for certain didn't get something and it says delivered, check with your neighbors as well. 

If it looks like the package just isn't moving based on the tracking, it might be lost, but 9 times out of 10 it shows up eventually.

Onan, your specific postal carrier might just be an ass, he might be stealing or delivering to the wrong address.  Especially the latter case if there is some other street with a similar name ie (main st SE vs main st NE, or mane st SE).    Call your local post master and complain, it should do the trick.

onan

Quote from: area51drone on April 17, 2015, 02:52:12 AM
FYI, whomever sent that to you is ultimately responsible.  I don't know if this was goods purchased or something else, but if it was goods purchased then make sure you let the seller know.  They know very well that they are responsible for it not showing up.   I will say that, though, as a person who sends out thousands of packages a week, the post office is overall the most reliable of the three big guys (UPS/FedEx/USPS), as long as you have the correct address.

Let me tell you a story... I recently ordered a guide rod for one of my pistols. It didn't show up when it was scheduled. I look up the delivery schedule from the seller. It says the package was delivered. I call the post office and get no response. I drive to the post office and speak to the manager, a rather unsympathetic woman, who asks me if the package had been stolen. I respond with "how would I know that? I guess that I had some attitude in my voice because I am then told I can register a complaint online and she walks away.

The seller offered to send another at his cost. I refused. It wasn't his fault the post office was incompetent and then brushed me off like dirt on a sleeve.

I will consider your much larger pool of experience with the USPS, but I am not using them as a first choice. How things get mailed to me, I have little control.

area51drone

Quote from: onan on April 17, 2015, 03:02:58 AM
Let me tell you a story... I recently ordered a guide rod for one of my pistols. It didn't show up when it was scheduled. I look up the delivery schedule from the seller. It says the package was delivered. I call the post office and get no response. I drive to the post office and speak to the manager, a rather unsympathetic woman, who asks me if the package had been stolen. I respond with "how would I know that? I guess that I had some attitude in my voice because I am then told I can register a complaint online and she walks away.

The seller offered to send another at his cost. I refused. It wasn't his fault the post office was incompetent and then brushed me off like dirt on a sleeve.

Office managers are not usually post masters, unless you live in a very rural area.  If this has happened to you twice already, definitely talk to the post master for your area.

Also keep in mind that shipping say a pistol rod across the country might cost about $3 at the most through the post office, and probably $10 through FedEx or UPS.   That seller probably ships a lot. Multiply even 1000 packages times that difference and you can see why people ship USPS and will just deal with paying for replacements when something gets lost or stolen.

That's really nice of you not to force the seller to reship, but you are the extreme minority.  I get people pretty much every day who just say "it's not here" and they expect me to reship without even having them to go the post office.   Nine times out of ten I describe the package, give them the same spiel I gave you and they end up finding it.

If I want to get a small package shipped from the States UPS, it can cost fifty or sixty dollars.  I'm not sure about FedEx because that option isn't usually given.  I'd much rather go with USPS if I have the option, and then get it delivered by the friendly folks in the Canadian Post Office :).

maureen

I sent 3 parcels from Mexico on Feb 16; to Canada delivery took 6 weeks, to Australia took 7.5 weeks, the US parcel has yet to be delivered.

High tech systems with a donkey mentality!!

wr250

when you ask asus tech support why your pc takes 1-2 minutes to post (from power on  until you can enter the bios) and they respond with "most slow startups are caused by virus files. please scan your hard drive for viruses. Also deleting the temporary and junk files in your PC can boot your system little faster." .
hello??? if i disconnect all the drives it still takes 1-2 minutes to tell me there are no boot devices. why?

Catsmile

Quote from: wr250 on April 17, 2015, 07:31:36 PM
when you ask asus tech support why your pc takes 1-2 minutes to post (from power on  until you can enter the bios) and they respond with "most slow startups are caused by virus files. please scan your hard drive for viruses. Also deleting the temporary and junk files in your PC can boot your system little faster." .
hello??? if i disconnect all the drives it still takes 1-2 minutes to tell me there are no boot devices. why?

Yeah Asus makes some pretty good MoBos, but I've always read "god help you if you need tech support."

Well if it's taking so long for the BEEP in the Power On Self Test it's looking for some I/O and not finding it. Once in the Basic Input Output System, try shutting down all the I/Os except the videa, if it has a outboard videacard. If it speeds up the POST then enable one I/O at a time until you find out whats holding up the POST. Also try useing a single stick of RAM in different slots, then try swapping in a different single stick of RAM into the slots. Make sure only the keyboard is plugged in. Also make sure the extra CPU power is reseated, or plugged in. Make sure you don't have a misaligned standoff shorting out the back of the MoBo.   

Hell the BIOS many need a reflashed, or a chipset even a secondary chipset controller may be going south, it's really hard to tell.

wr250

Quote from: Catsmile on April 17, 2015, 08:47:23 PM
Yeah Asus makes some pretty good MoBos, but I've always read "god help you if you need tech support."

Well if it's taking so long for the BEEP in the Power On Self Test it's looking for some I/O and not finding it. Once in the Basic Input Output System, try shutting down all the I/Os except the videa, if it has a outboard videacard. If it speeds up the POST then enable one I/O at a time until you find out whats holding up the POST. Also try useing a single stick of RAM in different slots, then try swapping in a different single stick of RAM into the slots. Make sure only the keyboard is plugged in. Also make sure the extra CPU power is reseated, or plugged in. Make sure you don't have a misaligned standoff shorting out the back of the MoBo.   

Hell the BIOS many need a reflashed, or a chipset even a secondary chipset controller may be going south, it's really hard to tell.
yea i know, been through most of that. bios is current, etc etc . works fine once booted,just a long post procedure.its rarely rebooted, so its not much of a problem. it may be simply the onboard raid is active for some reason, those things often take forever to initialize.

albrecht

I'm never going to complain about rain but why do the weathermen have to be right about rain forecasts on the weekend and when I'm going to have a big crawfish boil? And during the work-week get their rain forecasts wrong so often?

aldousburbank

Quote from: albrecht on April 18, 2015, 08:56:47 AM
I'm never going to complain about rain but why do the weathermen have to be right about rain forecasts on the weekend and when I'm going to have a big crawfish boil? And during the work-week get their rain forecasts wrong so often?
Obviously the crawfish and the meteorologists are in cahoots dude.

Eddie Coyle

Whoever facilitated Kevin Nealon being on TV every two seconds...

albrecht

Quote from: aldousburbank on April 18, 2015, 09:03:50 AM
Obviously the crawfish and the meteorologists are in cahoots dude.
I detract the annoyance. Apparently the bugs and weathermen were not in cahoots! Boil went fine and storms came in later, afterwards. Sorts of broke up the party but the eating etc was done and kegs were killed early anyway and folks had to start breaking into reserves. And managed the take- down (amazing how a full belly, booze, and lightning/wind etc makes people work better) of all tents, boilers, coolers, trash cans, etc in record time. And the rain will wash away any errand carcasses (of crawdads, not people) that were left behind inadvertently. And also no hung-over clean up chores tomorrow even!

Being designated driver at a shit hole bar.

aldousburbank

My NorCal home is a freekin' ornithological dream, the sound of birds pretty much filling every moment of the day.
That's not the annoying part.
It's the woodpeckers knocking on my roof like Jehova Witnesses on meth and rolling their nuts around from dawn to dusk. Tappy little fuks.