• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Midnight In The Desert

Started by Falkie2013, December 12, 2015, 01:13:40 AM

Robert

Quote from: cweb on May 08, 2018, 06:20:06 AM(Heard so much crying, I almost called her Heather.)
That's top right material right there.  Or at least a rim shot.

Lilith

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 08, 2018, 06:40:05 AM
Confluence of a sunny May morning, a new show, Dyna Prime (the cat) sleeping peacefully and perfect coffee - what more could anyone ask for? How is it in Brig-land?

It's a beautiful spring like morning here.  Couldn't be better.

Morning all! I awoke with a smile knowing we a good host!

Lilith

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on May 08, 2018, 06:43:06 AM

Praise MV!  :)

Dyna-X

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 08, 2018, 06:39:27 AM
Good Morning BNW and Dyna-X too! It's great to see others here. I liked hearing about Dave's background. I won't spoil it for Brig who is still listening. I will always support people who don't sound fake and who are interested in who they are talking with. I am looking forward to him handling callers. I really hope he does unscreened.
Top O the Morning, PBS. Yes, he was born about 3 or 4 miles from here I was give or take a couple years. Familiar midwestern accent. Remembered the stations and DJs he mentioned. (WLUP - Steve Dahl and Garry Meier) WLS (Lujack) etc.

I don't think he needs screeners, probably just a "courtesy" that came with C2C. Good question to ask. He's probably going to get one of those Telos VX phones.

cweb

Licensing costs aside, it would've been hilarious if they used this during the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqjlFGZxtE

Lilith

Quote from: cweb on May 08, 2018, 06:45:59 AM
Licensing costs aside, it would've been hilarious if they used this during the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJqjlFGZxtE

LOL

Robert

Quote from: cweb on May 08, 2018, 06:20:06 AMI don't mind the lack of licensed bumpers. Save the money for the host. That's one thing I felt Art (and Heather) didn't get. People come for the host and the content- not the music. If you want to play licensed music, do a music show.
I'm telling you, there's plenty for cheap via Creative Commons.

Bumpers aren't about the music as listening-music.  They're more like sound effects.  That's why bed music, talkover music, theme music, mood music, bumpers, etc. are used both on talk & music shows, & in movies.  We're not listening to the music, we're listening for it.  It's a coded means of communication.

ponyboysunset

All,
How delicious is it that KYNE is an affiliate? Looks like Karen doesn't like Heater Wade's BS either. What's amazing is her and Art both failed to realize that when they ditched bellgab they lost a lot of people. Bellgab is a force. We did the blitz, we are now supporting the new show. Getting us behind you guarantees a strong base of listeners. OMG we will be able to call in! Unlike on some other shows.  ::)

Dyna-X

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on May 08, 2018, 06:43:06 AM
Morning Royal! Finally, yes. Almost a miracle.

cweb

Quote from: Robert on May 08, 2018, 06:49:54 AM
I'm telling you, there's plenty for cheap via Creative Commons.

Bumpers aren't about the music as listening-music.  They're more like sound effects.  That's why bed music, talkover music, theme music, mood music, bumpers, etc. are used both on talk & music shows, & in movies.  We're not listening to the music, we're listening for it.  It's a coded means of communication.

Oh, I'm with ya. Having worked in a little bit of media myself, I fully realize why they're called "bumpers." I talked to an engineer who was surprised that Art-era MITD was still using those other little audible signals to go/return from breaks.

I agree that in this application, it's more important that they match the mood or theme (and fill time) than be something you recognize.

Lilith

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 08, 2018, 06:50:55 AM
All,
How delicious is it that KYNE is an affiliate? Looks like Karen doesn't like Heater Wade's BS either. What's amazing is her and Art both failed to realize that when they ditched bellgab they lost a lot of people. Bellgab is a force. We did the blitz, we are now supporting the new show. Getting us behind you guarantees a strong base of listeners. OMG we will be able to call in! Unlike on some other shows.  ::)

Yes, it feels good at the moment.

timebandit

#Heather like the Phoenix
#Will rise again

#HeatherArmy

Dyna-X

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 08, 2018, 06:50:55 AM
All,

I've listened to KNYE during the day intermittently since before the blitz era. Karen there seems to be one of those rare breeds that genuinely wants to make a Pahrump a better place using the station as a platform. She strikes me as someone that has built from the ground up and is not a bullshitter.

As for Bellgab, its like we had a stain on us when (minus some trolls), we are all just restless for good late night Art style radio. Maybe a turning point?

wr250

received this from the other side:
ATTN SCORPION ARMY : THE NEW HOST OF MITD IS GOOD DAVE. WE WILL CONTINUE TO WAGE WAR WITH THE LEADERSHIP OF MY 10 STAR GENERAL ,THEMUDKING AND TO PROMOTE ART BELL'S LEGACY. THAT IS ALL.

Is the link to sign up to be a time traveler down for anyone else?

Lord Grantham

Quote from: Royal_Tenenbaum on May 08, 2018, 07:17:11 AM

Just signed up within the last hour, and I'm streaming the show right now. No issues.

wr250

the whole site is down, i suspect a ddos. whether from massive amounts of downloads, or a malicious ddos i do not know.

Dyna-X

The link is not working here, either. I'll email Keith.

Lilith

Quote from: wr250 on May 08, 2018, 07:19:46 AM
the whole site is down, i suspect a ddos. whether from massive amounts of downloads, or a malicious ddos i do not know.

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Good thing I downloaded last nights episode first thing when I woke up this morning.

I hope nothing happens to bellgab...

Robert

Quote from: cweb on May 08, 2018, 06:55:17 AMOh, I'm with ya. Having worked in a little bit of media myself, I fully realize why they're called "bumpers." I talked to an engineer who was surprised that Art-era MITD was still using those other little audible signals to go/return from breaks.

I agree that in this application, it's more important that they match the mood or theme (and fill time) than be something you recognize.
They're not something you need to have recognized previously, but they become something you recognize via repetition on the show.

Reminds me of when someone was guesting for Lionel (Michael LeBron on WABC), & they were inserting the usual bumper pieces in their usu. order of breaks.  The m.c. questioned one near program's end that implied he was going to go out & get plastered: "What is this, some kind of tradition around here?"

Lord Grantham

Barring anymore Heather drama this may be the end of probably the most fun month on any website I have ever known. All because a guy died.

It has been an honor and a privilege to have served with all of you. 

Lilith

Quote from: Lord Grantham on May 08, 2018, 07:22:45 AM
Barring anymore Heather drama this may be the end of probably the most fun month on any website I have ever known. All because a guy died.

It has been an honor and a privilege to have served with all of you. 

Indeed it has, as Art would want it to be.  and, likewise  ;D

Robert

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 08, 2018, 07:05:52 AMAs for Bellgab, its like we had a stain on us when (minus some trolls), we are all just restless for good late night Art style radio. Maybe a turning point?
Dave Schrader hosting MITD & Ian Punnett back on C2C?  How much better does it get?

Now if we could just get Geo. Noory a more appropriate career....

GravitySucks

Quote from: Dyna-X on May 08, 2018, 07:21:06 AM
The link is not working here, either. I'll email Keith.

It worked for me last night during the show.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: wr250 on May 08, 2018, 07:19:46 AM
I am pretty sure that Heater Wade doesn't have hacking skills. But I could be wrong. I think people are just so happy to have someone who doesn't SUCK as a host again that they are subscribing by the droves.

Hells Mole

Quote from: ponyboysunset on May 08, 2018, 05:57:49 AM
I think it will for a while at least. I really missed the sense of community having a show to listen together brought. Also I can't tell you if Heather was good, I could never get past her voice. It was that distracting. I believe him about the phones. If they are installing teleos that takes a while I bet.

The community is what it's all about.  So feel you on the HW voice issue.  I really did give her an honest chance when Art jumped ship but like you the effort required to try to get passed her wretchedly disingenuous vocalizations left no room in my mind to consider the content of discussion.
When I listened to what she was doing in March it made her sound almost like a normal person in December of 2016.  Unbelievable!  Not a good reflection of Art's mentorship that she went from vaguely human to preposterous caricature under his watch.

Dyna-X

Quote from: Robert on May 08, 2018, 07:22:13 AM
They're not something you need to have recognized previously, but they become something you recognize via repetition on the show.

Reminds me of when someone was guesting for Lionel (Michael LeBron on WABC), & they were inserting the usual bumper pieces in their usu. order of breaks.  The m.c. questioned one near program's end that implied he was going to go out & get plastered: "What is this, some kind of tradition around here?"
Can see your point. On the other hand, it is kind of a tradition. Why do C2C, Rush Limbaugh, John B. Wells, and others use them? I guess the simple answer is they can afford to. To some listeners it does make a difference - we've all heard the compliments "Love the bumper songs tonight! or Which song was that?" They might listen another day for the added bonus of finding a long lost hit. Its more complex than meets the ear, LOL.