• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

cweb

Cuss words are like exclamation points and strikethrough fonts. They tend to be most effective when used sparingly.

And most annoying when used frequently.

puddintame

Quote from: HorrorReporter on March 13, 2015, 08:42:24 PM
Ever since I was a teenager all the way through now, I have always believed overuse of cuss words was exhausting and pointless. I don't even appreciate comedy that does it.. But there's times and places for it.
however, I was always fine with Art's rules on this.

Agree with you 100%.  Who needs dirt when there is a world of wonderful vocabulary available?

WhiteCrow

Quote from: MV on March 13, 2015, 03:51:35 PM
i am specifically instructing everyone... do not donate to this forum.  thank you.  seriously.  don't.

Are you doing that "Lonesome Rhodes" "Face in the Crowd" shtick again?

A Face In The Crowd, 1957

ItsOver

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 09:04:41 PM
Cuss words are like exclamation points and strikethrough fonts. They tend to be most effective when used sparingly.

I agree!!1
Said Zoo

Quote from: Art Bell on March 13, 2015, 03:34:32 PM
Fuck you, I run a clean show.

Art

Dave banned mention of the title of Ian' book, ''How To Pray When You're Pissed At God'' on his show.

However Tommy's autobiography, ''Polishing Turds With My Friend George" is ok

WhiteCrow

Quote from: McZippie on March 13, 2015, 06:13:34 PM
Fuck you Art, you're ass is fired!

Mrs McZippie

Gezzzz Mom, you're embarrassing me again in front of all the cool kids.

coaster

I think some swear words have their place, but I tend to agree that a show full of expletives just ruins a show. On the other hand, swear words would vastly improve Dave's show. Might even give it a bit of character if Dave threw a "darn" or "dag nabbit" in the conversation.

Art Bell

Nonsense I never get fired, I QUIT.

Art

paladin1991

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 09:04:41 PM

Unless you are a member of that privileged fraternity, the USMC.  Then certain words like 'fuck' take on a myriad of meanings. 'Fuck' can be a term of endearment, a verb, an adjective, an exclamation, a profanity and even a prayer.  There are others, but why should I do all the work for you fuckers.  (I meant that in an endearing way.)

jazmunda

Quote from: Art Bell on March 13, 2015, 09:55:15 PM

Art

:)

It's always best to go out on your own terms in a blaze of glory. 

HK-50

Quote from: Paper*Boy on March 13, 2015, 09:48:18 PM

However Tommy's autobiography, ''Polishing Turds With My Friend George" is ok

jimg

Quote from: Art Bell on March 13, 2015, 06:25:37 PM
Point is I know the words but those who use them all the time I think can not form a better way to express themselves.

As far as the show is concerned I have listeners from 8-80 Years old, why would I want to drive some of them away? As a Parent when I hear gutter language I turn it off, my guess is most decent Parents do.

Beyond that, I don't listen myself to radio shows where every fifth word is the f bomb. I think most times the kind of content I like would be spoiled with that language, it has shock value the first couple of times and after that is just hard to listen to.

Art

I think this goes back to what you were saying about doing a more or less "smart" show, Art. Keeping it classy. Who wants to be the drunk uncle in mixed company? Fun in the moment to be so free but when your sister refuses to continue paying your phone bill after you puke in the  party punch in front of your niece...you feel like a real ass. (I don't know anything about that personally.) Not appropriate.

Also, I think the difference between your show and some of the other podcasts and programs out there is that they are very niche, not only content wise but demographically. For example...I don'y think you would find many 8....or 80 year olds listening to The Joe Rogan Experience. Not his demo. So they talk like a bunch of dudes in the parking lot of gold's gym drinking muscle milk on the hood of a jeep cherokee.

With that being said...need to go finish my rep of fucking curls over here braaah."Belch". 8)

coaster

As far as the show is concerned I have listeners from 8-80 Years old, why would I want to drive some of them away?
Gotta respect that.

Eddie Coyle

8 to 80 is the IQ range of Noory's fans.

cweb

Quote from: paladin1991 on March 13, 2015, 09:55:30 PM
Unless you are a member of that privileged fraternity, the USMC.  Then certain words like 'fuck' take on a myriad of meanings. 'Fuck' can be a term of endearment, a verb, an adjective, an exclamation, a profanity and even a prayer.  There are others, but why should I do all the work for you fuckers.  (I meant that in an endearing way.)
True. I meant more for us civilians. Armed Forces can talk however the hell they want. Otherwise, we wouldn't have fun terms like "shit on a shingle" or "nut to butt."

Heather Wade

Art

Aw, you have gone too far.  Love it. 

paladin1991

Art
Well, fuck.  What's that, negative 16-17 weeks for an 'ART QUITS?'

Nick el Ass

Art

Smart move, Mr. Bell. The best way to go out is on ones own terms.

YNOT

Art. I completely agree your stance on swearing.
Frequent swearing is a cop out for being too lazy or inept to articulate oneself.

This reminds me. Your George Carlin interview has always been one of my favorites.

Also, as far as guest suggestions, I'd love to hear Dan Ackroyd or Joe walsh again.
And as far as crime stuff mentioned earlier. Anything on serial killers would be cool.

(btw, I think that Bristol dude might have some kind of literary turrets'...)

WhiteCrow

Art

You're a Bad Bad Man Art.... As far as I know, my Mom (Mrs McZippie) never used the F word, until she used the F word, in a reply to your F word post. And now you're replying to her F word reply.

I think you probably made her week, thanks Art!

DesertFox

Point is I know the words but those who use them all the time I think can not form a better way to express themselves.

As far as the show is concerned I have listeners from 8-80 Years old, why would I want to drive some of them away? As a Parent when I hear gutter language I turn it off, my guess is most decent Parents do.

Beyond that, I don't listen myself to radio shows where every fifth word is the f bomb. I think most times the kind of content I like would be spoiled with that language, it has shock value the first couple of times and after that is just hard to listen to.

Art

Makes perfect sense--don't think there was a strong desire for swear words except a very very small crowd when it comes to Art Bell.  You  use the language with great skill--swear worlds aren't necessary and also who needs some callers spouting off verbal diarrhea.

zeebo

I've about had it with all this cussin' talk round these parts, dagnabbit!

morgana213

Quote from: cweb on March 13, 2015, 10:04:07 PM
True. I meant more for us civilians. Armed Forces can talk however the hell they want. Otherwise, we wouldn't have fun terms like "shit on a shingle" or "nut to butt."

Don't forget SNAFU and FUBAR.  I love these. 

Art

And  that's why we love you. You're nobody's fool. (Just your own.)

The General

Art

Holy crap man, you crack me up.

maureen

Let us be inventive with our invectives!!

WOTR

Quote from: zeebo on March 13, 2015, 11:06:37 PM
I've about had it with all this cussin' talk round these parts, dagnabbit!
It's all those darn, young whippersnappers around these here parts.

WOTR

Quote from: BellBoy on March 13, 2015, 05:19:16 PM
Lurking, lurking, lurking... Bam!

That's what I'm talkin' about baby!

Register
As they usually would say here on BG... "Welcome and post often".  As they would more recently say... "Welcome and post fucking often!" ;)

paladin1991

Quote from: BellBoy on March 13, 2015, 05:19:16 PM
Lurking, lurking, lurking... Bam!

That's what I'm talkin' about baby!

Register
"Oh, boy!  Here is 5 spot.  Be a good boy, run and get me a coffee and a paper.  Keep the change."

ks3484

Art

Art, before you quit or get fired I was wondering if you'd consider using a Closed Caption service for the Hearing Impaired part of your 8-80 audience? Or maybe even get someone to volunteer their services? It'll open up and expand your world wide audience base, and I believe yours would be the first podcasting talk show using Closed Caption for the Hearing Impaired. You should have it rigged so that the Hearing Impaired could send questions for your guests and participate in Open Lines.