• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
Quote from: UFO Fill on May 06, 2013, 04:05:09 AM
George to Klimo - "There are a lot of people out there who know science better than the scientists."

Okay, holy fuck. Is this an actual quote?

Sleepwalker

Quote from: jinwicked on May 06, 2013, 04:51:10 AM
Checked out Ms. Alkon's blog. She should make up her mind whether she wants to be Miss Manners or Ann Coulter.

She is confused, that's for sure.  On the one hand, she says how it's better to overwhelm an angry person with kindness. On the other she's seeking revenge by posting people's phone numbers on the internet.

Sleepwalker

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on May 05, 2013, 08:33:27 PM

I would appear on the show, Sleepwalker (having asked the relevant follow-up questions), but this is spot on. Indeed, Coast - or Noory and Wells to be precise - have been running a distinctly anti-science line for a while, and it seems to be getting stronger as the months go by. Very little 'hard science' is heard on Coast anymore. The 'scientific method' is constantly vilified and demonized as an intractable mindset that dismisses or refuses to acknowledge ideas that challenge it or which do not fit its 'agenda'. Precisely the opposite is the case, of course.

Can you imagine Carl Sagan, if he were alive today, appearing on Coast to Coast?  If he agreed to appear, which is probably doubtful, he would give Noory such a grilling that Noory would either be rendered speechless or end the interview early.  I believe Sagan would have absolute contempt for Noory, Wells and Coast to Coast AM, which would, of course, make him a "hater."

Here are a few memorable quotes by Sagan:

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."

ItsOver

Quote from: Histronic Fop on May 05, 2013, 09:31:34 PM
GN doesn't have the personality to be a wrestler. He'd be all like, "Wrasslin' isn't about fightin' and yellin'..."  And can you imagine him in tights?

The Nooron doesn't have the personality to be much of anything, including a talk show host. 

idk Sagan had some out there ideas. Polar bears on Mars and all that. They were fighting over what to put on a probe (Viking lander) once and Sagan wanted this expensive (as in heavy since you can only put limited amount of measurement equp on a probe and everyone is fighting over weight) video equipment put on because he was sure there were polar bears out there.
Anyway here is a good read
http://www.boulder.swri.edu/clark/sagan.html

Sleepwalker

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on May 06, 2013, 06:27:45 AM
idk Sagan had some out there ideas. Polar bears on Mars and all that. They were fighting over what to put on a probe (Viking lander) once and Sagan wanted this expensive (as in heavy since you can only put limited amount of measurement equp on a probe and everyone is fighting over weight) video equipment put on because he was sure there were polar bears out there.

No, Mind Flayer Monk, Carl Sagan never suggested there were polar bears on Mars.  Stop listening to Coast to Coast AM for a few weeks.  You'll feel much better.

expat

Quote from: jinwicked on May 06, 2013, 04:51:10 AM
Checked out Ms. Alkon's blog. She should make up her mind whether she wants to be Miss Manners or Ann Coulter.
Read the talk page associated with her wikipedia article for more insight into this terrifying person.

My favorite Amy Alkon blogpost: It's too long ago to retrieve as a verbatim quote, but it went very like this:

"I walked into my usual coffee shop this morning and a family was occupying my favorite table. I like this table because I go there to work on my column, and there's a very convenient power socket right there. So I politely explained to this family that they were at my usual place, and of course they had a perfect right to be there, but I asked them to let me know when they planned to leave so that I could be ready to move in."

She didn't say what response she got -- I know what mine would have been. BTW, Amy was a great friend to that other harridan of the Los Angeles fringe journalism scene, the late Cathy Seipp. I remember her wetting her panties over the fact that Ann Coulter came to one of Cathy's parties.

ItsOver

Quote from: expat on May 06, 2013, 08:03:31 AM
Read the talk page associated with her wikipedia article for more insight into this terrifying person.

My favorite Amy Alkon blogpost: It's too long ago to retrieve as a verbatim quote, but it went very like this:

"I walked into my usual coffee shop this morning and a family was occupying my favorite table. I like this table because I go there to work on my column, and there's a very convenient power socket right there. So I politely explained to this family that they were at my usual place, and of course they had a perfect right to be there, but I asked them to let me know when they planned to leave so that I could be ready to move in."

She didn't say what response she got -- I know what mine would have been. ......

Wow... what a sweetheart.  So considerate to tell the folks "they had a perfect right to be there."  No kidding.   ::)   She probably perched her butt right next to them and started eyeing them like a buzzard zeroing in on it's next meal.

Can we match her up with Noory?

Sleepwalker

Quote from: expat on May 06, 2013, 08:03:31 AM

She didn't say what response she got -- I know what mine would have been. BTW, Amy was a great friend to that other harridan of the Los Angeles fringe journalism scene, the late Cathy Seipp. I remember her wetting her panties over the fact that Ann Coulter came to one of Cathy's parties.

Intruding on that family in the coffee shop was incredibly rude.  I would have cut her off in mid sentence and told her to respect our privacy and go away.

I looked at her website.  For only $125 per hour, you can have a personal session with her via phone or Skype.   

ItsOver

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 06, 2013, 08:28:16 AM

I looked at her website.  For only $125 per hour, you can have a personal session with her via phone or Skype.

Geesh... she does sound like a good match, though, for Noory.  I think he'd enjoy such a controlling personality and could identify with the shameless leeching.  She'd probably have a few clashes with Tommy, however.  ;)

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 06, 2013, 07:02:00 AM
No, Mind Flayer Monk, Carl Sagan never suggested there were polar bears on Mars.  Stop listening to Coast to Coast AM for a few weeks.  You'll feel much better.

I read that in William Poundstone's biography of Carl Sagan. I will check it out again next time I'm at the library and get the citation of whoever Poundstone got that from. It might have been something retracted in later editions.

NoMoreNoory

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 06, 2013, 05:59:16 AM

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Great Sagan quote. Put me in mind of this from the great Joseph Campbell (Prologue to The Masks Of God):

"For surely it is folly to preach to children who will be riding rockets to the moon a morality and cosmology based on concepts of the Good Society and of man's place in nature that were coined before the harnessing of the horse! And the world is now far too small, and men's stake in sanity too great, for any more of those old games of Chosen Folk (whether of Jehovah, Allah, Wotan, Manu, or the Devil) by which tribesmen were sustained against their enemies in the days when the serpent still could talk."

And if that quote about people knowing science better than the scientists is accurate, my thanks to Noory for underlining my point. In bold and in triplicate.  Arrogance and ignorance make dangerous partners.

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 06, 2013, 08:28:16 AM

There better be some swallowing involved for that price. Full-on cam action, toys, the works.
Maybe some roleplay - a bar maid with two black guys. Somethin like that.

Quote from: UFO Fill on May 06, 2013, 04:05:09 AM
George to Klimo - "There are a lot of people out there who know science better than the scientists."

Haha, shit. And who are these mystery people.....Hoagland and his ilk?
What a fucktard.

We have another show about the Djinn tonight, one week following the previous show on that topic.  I wonder if George will remember any of the things he learned in that interview, or even that he had it.

And another thing.
Has Georje ever come clean or at least fucking pressed Sean David Morton about being a conman?
I heard some bullshit excuse he had for him a while back, but if that cocksucker Noary doesn't cut Morton off and proclaim he is a charlatain, then folks, I feel the same can then be said factually about Noary.

YOUR MOVE GEORJE

RedMichael

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 06, 2013, 05:59:16 AM
Can you imagine Carl Sagan, if he were alive today, appearing on Coast to Coast?  If he agreed to appear, which is probably doubtful, he would give Noory such a grilling that Noory would either be rendered speechless or end the interview early.  I believe Sagan would have absolute contempt for Noory, Wells and Coast to Coast AM, which would, of course, make him a "hater."

Here are a few memorable quotes by Sagan:

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

"We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces."

His book "The Demon Haunted World: Science as a candle in the dark" really made an impact in me on just how to look at things, how to figure out things etc. I totally advise anyone to read it.

It is amazing the attack on science. The inability to grasp time in regards to evolution, the inability to differentiate two different means of the word theory (as in a guess or a scientific theory), the inability to understand the scientific method allows for correction but relies only on provable empirical data, what is empirical data vs anecdotal, why empirical ALWAYS trumps anecdotal, how people get upset at that, etc etc

Also there are some who are all about the scientific method but now and then throw out "Well every thing we know could be wrong when we find some new way of doing stuff". Which is probably not accurate. Knowledge is a lake and each new thing humanity discovers is a bucket of water out of it. I believe knowledge is finite, I believe there will be some not attained for a long time but comparing knowledge of ancient greece to modern day, or even Newton to modern day as a way of saying "See how little we knew?" We now have sets of rules (theories) that not only work in almost all scenarios but work together. There is still a LOT of knowledge out there to attain but I question if it will be a huge leap of the world being round, etc,

I agree life is simpler the less you know but I feel these anti science individuals are against it because it clashes with religion, prejudices, etc. I could go on even more but Ill spare everyone

Quote from: RedMichael on May 06, 2013, 12:50:26 PM

His book "The Demon Haunted World: Science as a candle in the dark" really made an impact in me on just how to look at things, how to figure out things etc. I totally advise anyone to read it.

It is amazing the attack on science. The inability to grasp time in regards to evolution, the inability to differentiate two different means of the word theory (as in a guess or a scientific theory), the inability to understand the scientific method allows for correction but relies only on provable empirical data, what is empirical data vs anecdotal, why empirical ALWAYS trumps anecdotal, how people get upset at that, etc etc

Also there are some who are all about the scientific method but now and then throw out "Well every thing we know could be wrong when we find some new way of doing stuff". Which is probably not accurate. Knowledge is a lake and each new thing humanity discovers is a bucket of water out of it. I believe knowledge is finite, I believe there will be some not attained for a long time but comparing knowledge of ancient greece to modern day, or even Newton to modern day as a way of saying "See how little we knew?" We now have sets of rules (theories) that not only work in almost all scenarios but work together. There is still a LOT of knowledge out there to attain but I question if it will be a huge leap of the world being round, etc,

I agree life is simpler the less you know but I feel these anti science individuals are against it because it clashes with religion, prejudices, etc. I could go on even more but Ill spare everyone

Please go on :).  You expressed quite a few ideas succinctly that need to get more exposure than they do, especially on a program like Coast to Coast which many people seem to get their 'science' from. 

Here is why I believe anti-science or conspiracy views are so popular.  And it ties into religion as well.  I believe the driving force behind most behaviours is the need to gain a sense of power and control.  If a person doesn't have a particularly advanced education or a position of authority, then there is a feeling of powerlessness.  However, if they believe they have some sort of secret insider knowledge -- that they know what the scientists, politicians, or other people of perceived authority don't know, or what the public at large doesn't -- then that could restore a feeling of personal power.  Coast to Coast AM exploits this to the fullest.

You bring up a good point about the advancement of science.  George always talks about "Wow, can you imagine what a civilization a million years or a billion years ahead of us would be like?"  As you suggest it's ridiculous to think science will keep advancing at the pace it has been.  We have many details to work out but I think as you that we have filled in most of the big blocks of information.  Of course, I still think technology has a long ways to catch up -- which is probably more dependent upon building a larger economy and finding cheaper energy alternatives to oil (which is challenging indeed) than on advancing science.  Civilization could potentially be unrecognizable in a few hundred years barring some catastrophe or Dark Age, but to do like George and extrapolate that to 1 million years is just naive.

edit: more to your point, those who argue Einstein supercedes Newton and therefore someone could negate Einstein are just wrong.  Newton's theories weren't wrong.. they were just incomplete.  My entire 20th century curriculum in Mechanical Engineering was based largely on Newtonian physics.  That knowledge can get you to Mars and back.  It is perfectly valid.

"Here is why I believe anti-science or conspiracy views are so popular.  And it ties into religion as well.  I believe the driving force behind most behaviours is the need to gain a sense of power and control.  If a person doesn't have a particularly advanced education or a position of authority, then there is a feeling of powerlessness.  However, if they believe they have some sort of secret insider knowledge -- that they know what the scientists, politicians, or other people of perceived authority don't know, or what the public at large doesn't -- then that could restore a feeling of personal power.  Coast to Coast AM exploits this to the fullest."

Well said, GfP...  I think this coupled with a lack of intellectual curiosity spells disaster.  There are far too many people who know a particular sacred text all-too-well but have no working knowledge with even basic math (or sentence structure or US history, etc.) and have no interest in expanding their knowledge.

Hell, if I had the time, I'd love to take all sorts of classes:  introduction to geometry ('cuz I've forgotten so much), world history, introduction to physics, Chinese, comparitive religions, and so forth.

I think that probably once every month of so I go to YouTube to look once more at Sagan's Pale Blue Dot passage from Cosmos that begins, "From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest...."

The passage inspires me.  I miss Sagan's voice in this world

Morgus

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 06, 2013, 12:28:06 PM
We have another show about the Djinn tonight, one week following the previous show on that topic.  I wonder if George will remember any of the things he learned in that interview, or even that he had it.
i predict Noory will start out with the exact same lame questions about are the Djinn evil demons...  :o

Morgus

Quote from: General Johnson Jameson on May 06, 2013, 12:33:22 PM
And another thing.
Has Georje ever come clean or at least fucking pressed Sean David Morton about being a conman?
I heard some bullshit excuse he had for him a while back, but if that cocksucker Noary doesn't cut Morton off and proclaim he is a charlatain, then folks, I feel the same can then be said factually about Noary.
no, but SDM is starting to return recently, i saw him appear on the Ancient Aliens TV show a few months back, along with Noory's head...

ItsOver

Quote from: Morgus on May 06, 2013, 01:59:13 PM
i predict Noory will start out with the exact same lame questions about are the Djinn evil demons...  :o

Sounds like a sure thing with The Nooron.  He's just reading off the 3 x 5 cards prepped by the intern staff, anyway.  Knowing how unaware and lazy Noory is, I wouldn't be surprised if the card preppers just recycle the same set of cards for tonight, maybe just jumbled into a different order. 

It must be kind of fun to be a 3 x 5 card prepper for Noory, in a sick sort of way.  I could see preparing some cards that said "Yuh, know, I suck more than usual tuh night."  Or, "I wonder if angels notice how much I suck?"  Or, even better, "My mommy made me a peanut butter'n turkey samwich just for tuh night.  She even cut the crust of the wheat bread, just the way I like it!" 

expat

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 06, 2013, 01:20:05 PM
Here is why I believe anti-science or conspiracy views are so popular.

They have particular appeal to teenagers, unfortunately. Telling them that all of science can be taken with a grain of salt is like telling them that their parents are stupid and their teachers are ignorant. Are they ready to hear that? You betcha!!!

Quote from: RedMichael on May 06, 2013, 12:50:26 PM

Interesting conversation. I agree this is an excellent book and definitely many members of the current audience need to read it and understand it.

Roy Hinkley

Quote from: Morgus on May 06, 2013, 02:00:47 PM
no, but SDM is starting to return recently, i saw him appear on the Ancient Aliens TV show a few months back, along with Noory's head...

Yeah, and Morton is another one like Minor Ed Dames that Snoory keeps saying he's "going to hold his feet to the fire".  Yeah, right.  The ONLY time Snoory ever had a testicle drop and almost became a man was when he stood his ground with Sylvia Brown and her huge error on the mine catastrophe. 

NoMoreNoory

"I've been in limos and town cars all my life." George Noory. Prick.

Roy Hinkley

George on another gruesome story with the limosine that caught fire.  And of course, George boasts he's been in limos and town cars "all his life" and never had anything like that happen.  What a stupid comment.

mombird3

The rudeness happened to us on Saturday. A woman took the seat next to me at the McDonalds when my husband had his tray with food on the table in front of us. And she sat down on the seat next to me where he was about to sit. Gave us a look that could kill. And she came after we did. We put groceries down at the seat and I waited while my husband got our food. The police were in the restaurant chasing teens who were sitting making noise and not buying any food. We moved away. I did not feel like an argument. Or police arrest. The staff knows us for 6 years but lately the new younger help do not seem to care.

michio

Did Jeff Nelken say "tits" or "teats" when he was talking about cows and unpasteurized milk? If the former, I needn't remind Mr. sNoory this is a family show. Well, a dysfunctional family show when the two paranoia-meisters are at it.