• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell cancels show for good

Started by Auslandia, December 11, 2015, 04:36:47 PM

Philosopher

Quote from: dan7800 on December 12, 2015, 10:13:49 AM
"I have a health issue I want to deal with"

Nobody would question that. There would be no records to dig into. There would be no possible crime he would have committed.

Even a simple desire to spend more time with family is legitimate.  Art has to have a scenario where he was "forced out" rather than just deciding to leave.

Philosopher

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 10:18:45 AM
*ding* They're probably sick of the "armchair Archie's" emailing and calling them to ask questions. Sheese.

Do you think they would act this way about reports of a shooter rampaging through Pahrump?  If this really happened it would be state news, and probably national as well.  Crickets.

EarthAlien007

Quote from: dan7800 on December 12, 2015, 10:14:30 AM
Maybe they (law enforcement) aren't looking to make a big deal out of it since they don't want to give the nut the spot light.

He's got it now.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on December 12, 2015, 10:22:37 AM
He's got it now.
By the looks of the posts, Art has a great future as a cult leader.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Philosopher on December 12, 2015, 10:22:13 AM
Do you think they would act this way about reports of a shooter rampaging through Pahrump?  If this really happened it would be state news, and probably national as well.  Crickets.
No offense intended, but I think that description is a little overblown.

Philosopher

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 10:35:12 AM
No offense intended, but I think that description is a little overblown.

I don't know, perhaps multiple (alleged) episodes of a shooter unloading a rifle in the direction of Art's residence and then speeding off into the Pahrump sunset should be understated.

Wait a minute! Here are some recent suspects pics from the NYE Sheriffs Facebook page. Facebook page? Since when do the popo do facebook? Anyway, looking at all those tweakers, it's no surprise that some of them don't just zombie walk out to Art's place and start shooting to celebrate their right to bear arms....
https://www.facebook.com/nyecountysheriff/photos_stream

dan7800

Just listening to last night's show. When Art called in, it seems like he really wanted to take the show over. He wouldn't have called in or spoke to the guest if he wasn't interested.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: dan7800 on December 12, 2015, 10:04:17 AM
Assume Art wanted to fake something. Why not fake an illness.

Get the pityg, get the privacy. Why fake a stalker?

I've never said Art faked anything.  In fact I've said all along I don't think he's stupid enough to risk going to jail for falsifying a police report.  Now admittedly I might rethink that if it turns out no police were involved despite Art's claims as some have said, but I don't put too much credence in third hand, hearsay.

As for LEOs not wanting to release information on the incident(s), I get that....at least until a properly filed FOIA request is submitted.  At that point the law defines what they must release.  A reply to such a request that they are not required/permitted to provide information on active criminal cases would confirm their involvement.  A reply that they have no record of a report being filed, or worse yet no 911 call having been received relative to an incident at (Art's address), is a different, and puzzling, story.

Quote from: dan7800 on December 12, 2015, 10:50:43 AM
Just listening to last night's show. When Art called in, it seems like he really wanted to take the show over. He wouldn't have called in or spoke to the guest if he wasn't interested.

I detected some guilt in Art's voice....after all, he up and quits, then the producer chick, Heather has this dude claiming he's from the future but can't figure out Skype.... of course in 2148 Skype will be built-in to our eyeballs so we will just blink to make a call. Dude was sitting there in his "secure location" blinking over and over again....

Meanwhile Art gets a pang of guilt for hanging little Heather out to flap in the wind, calls in and then can't resist taking over....

Most bizarre moment in Art Bell radio history.....

Note to self :Download for future use....

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 12, 2015, 10:53:09 AM.......

As for LEOs not wanting to release information on the incident(s), I get that....at least until a properly filed FOIA request is submitted.  At that point the law defines what they must release.  A reply to such a request that they are not required/permitted to provide information on active criminal cases would confirm their involvement.  A reply that they have no record of a report being filed, or worse yet no 911 call having been received relative to an incident at (Art's address), is a different, and puzzling, story.

Wait, they use Social Media to brag about all the tweakers that they have arrested, check out their FB page. It's like a gallery of meth-smoking wild-eyed pistol-wavers. Surely they would would boast about "racing" out to Art Bell's house, who is arguably the most famous person that ever lived, in Pahrump. I tend to give Art the benefit of the doubt, but this whole thing is just too "pat".
And there doesn't seem to be any legit access to police or sheriff logs, just their smiley face FB page.... what has the world come to?

Quote from: VictoriaPandora on December 12, 2015, 07:31:38 AM
Wow, a time traveler a hundred years in the future has a Texas accent?

Well, nice to know that survives, I hope I don't go and make a bunch of money from discovering that.

In the year 2148 , Mount Rushmore will only have one face, Ted Cruz'. I, for one, am grateful that I will be long-dead by the time that happens.

Robert

Quote from: cweb on December 12, 2015, 08:45:26 AMWhat is revealing a police report (or lack thereof) going to accomplish beyond validating that some fucktard is trying to annoy a man and his family? It's not going to bring the show back.
What would answering most of the questions ever discussed on MITD or C2C accomplish?  This is an audience of the inveterately curious, and you think the one thing (a person) at the focus of our att'n would be something we'd just avert our eyes from?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Uncle Duke on December 12, 2015, 10:53:09 AM
I've never said Art faked anything.  In fact I've said all along I don't think he's stupid enough to risk going to jail for falsifying a police report.  Now admittedly I might rethink that if it turns out no police were involved despite Art's claims as some have said, but I don't put too much credence in third hand, hearsay.

Puzzling insofar it eliminates the speculation and pretty much suggests it was fabricated.

Dateline

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 12, 2015, 07:47:43 AM
Yes, art posted on faceboom she'd be back Monday.

I am not thrilled.  Putting a novice to fill a masters shoes just does not work for me.  This is prime time not some obscure podcast.

Just Me

I been shot at with a 22 and I can tell you I didn't hit the ground for twenty minutes. This gun fire if meant to scare the fruitcake would have signatures of whistling noises if fired in the direction of the intended target but since old Art never said he heard any a that, it's a paranoid schizo moment for him to lay on the ground for twenty minutes stressing and not running in the house like real people hearing gunshots would do.

Than we have the shadow people mouse running around the studio equipment and the voices. Diminished mental capacity, panic attack, paranoid schizo, Alzheimer, Dementia onset. Take your pick or all of the above. Somethings wrong with the guy beside old age and being cranky. I knew a guy with Dementia and he acted just like this and recently died because his daughter took him to the fitness center and he fell off the exercise machine and died.

"Inveterately", it took me 63 years to hear or see that word.....

Lilith

Quote from: Dateline on December 12, 2015, 11:28:22 AM
I am not thrilled.  Putting a novice to fill a masters shoes just does not work for me.  This is prime time not some obscure podcast.

While I agree with you in theory, I find the attempted recovery, to be a fascinating listening experience,  and hanging on to the guardrail, waiting to see where this all goes,  adds a humorous side new meaning, to "Wanna Take A Ride" ?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dateline on December 12, 2015, 11:28:22 AM

Oh can this 'master' crap cease? He isn't. He isn't even in the top ten of great broadcasters on radio who are still living. It's possible this sycophancy is the reason he's quit; because he knows he's human, he knows he can't live up to this illusion and he knows also the pedestal is a long way to fall from.

Ciardelo

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 12, 2015, 11:34:11 AM

Oh can this 'master' crap cease? He isn't. He isn't even in the top ten of great broadcasters on radio who are still living. It's possible this sycophancy is the reason he's quit; because he knows he's human, he knows he can't live up to this illusion and he knows also the pedestal is a long way to fall from.
I like radio--what is the list for the top ten? I might be missing some great shows!

Claudius

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on December 12, 2015, 11:34:11 AM

I agree he is a good radio host (that is the only reason I listened to his show) but master?... please. His barking at the illustrator a week ago really made me realize that he's not that good. The guy was just calling to praise Art and talk about the movies he works on, Art cuts him off and hangs up because "his line wasn't good enough".   

Claudius

Quote from: Ciardelo on December 12, 2015, 11:36:45 AM
I like radio--what is the list for the top ten? I might be missing some great shows!

I think a big part of that is where you're from. If you're from NY you can probably make a top ten just from NY broadcasters, same with Detroit, Chicago. It would be an interesting list though.

stitchpuller

Unless this is the Lightbulb eating "prank" taken to the next level. He seemed so disheartened when people figured out he wasn't ACTUALLY eating a lightbulb. He has a very odd, and sometimes cruel impish sense of humor. i went into this knowing it would end one day, but this is just too odd. Or it's all real, and if so i support his decision 110%
what a strange trip.

whatatrip

Does anyone have any idea who the nut case is that is threatening Art Bell? My money says it is a "Christian terrorist". I have had this gut feeling that they, the Christian terrorists, have loathed Art Bell since the 1990's.

Lilith

mine?

gabcast
DarkCity
EndOfDaysRadio
WhySoTechnical?
TheBellPhiles
Exposing PseudoAstronomy
CaravanToMidnight
CapricornRadio
RedIceRadio
GabbingNow (Just Kidding)

Yorkshire pud

In no particular order:

Bob Harris, Steve Wright, Simon Mayo, Toby Foster, Paul Jones, Annie Nightingale, Paul Gambaccini, Clive Anderson, Micheal Buerke, Alex Lester, Ken Bruce, Chris Evans, Paul O'Grady, Janice Long...

My favourites: Bob Harris, Simon Mayo, Gambaccini, Chris Evans.

Robert

Quote from: cweb on December 12, 2015, 08:52:50 AMIf he does come back even for fill-in duty, that would be great. Regardless, I'm giving Heather a shot. Last night was a very difficult show but it got her some experience and exposure. It's something to build on.
Sometimes it takes warming up the audience via lead-in, setting, etc.  I'll admit to not being the most objective evaluator.

I listen a lot to WFMU, especially since I've been able to stream it for hours on end.  When the 1-hour program cutely named "Miracle Nutrition" with Hearty White first came on following a program I liked, I didn't much like it or even listen all the way thru.  However, it grew on me & now I enjoy his hard-to-describe show very much.  Had it been in some other setting where I'd've had to tune in specially, I doubt I'd've ever heard enough of him to get over that hump.

Similarly, I gave the TV show "Malcolm in the Middle" many shots because it did come in the middle between shows I liked.  It was promoted in a way that made me believe they wanted it to appeal to "people like me".  I never did wind up liking MITM, except that I did like the Bryan Cranston character, and I considered "Breaking Bad" his reward to us for putting up with watching him previously on a program as unengaging as MITM.  But I at least tried good & hard to like MITM, when I doubt I would've given it the time of day in another setting.

Also similarly I gave Jason Jarvis a chance when he took over the talk show from his mother Judy after she died.  I hadn't liked him much previously when he filled in, but thought there was a slight chance he'd grow into it when the show was all his.  He didn't.  But the point is that I wouldn't've even stopped at his point on the dial had I just heard his show cold, without that hx.

Another example is how WFMU launched one of their alternate streams when someone who'd been a regular DJ there a few years, Doug Schulkind, got a job in Pittsburgh & had to move.  He started what's now a 24-7 service by streaming what'd previously been his regular show and now features a bunch of DJs from various locations, similarly to DMDN, plus an ever-shrinking automated music service programmed by him in the interstices.  Some other of the DJs such as Amanda Nazario had been on WFMU, but now they pick up people who'd never been on WFMU before although they may have had other stream or air programs.  Would I have listened otherwise?  Maybe eventually, but not so soon.

Think also about how the WWW leads to surfing from one linked document to another, or how placement as a suggestion on YouTube has influence.

All this is to say, yeah, Heather got great exposure.

Claudius

Quote from: whatatrip on December 12, 2015, 11:43:38 AM
Does anyone have any idea who the nut case is that is threatening Art Bell? My money says it is a "Christian terrorist". I have had this gut feeling that they, the Christian terrorists, have loathed Art Bell since the 1990's.
Well most groups you would call "Christian terrorists" are hyper-nationalist, Far-right kind of groups. And I'm not so sure that those groups disliked Art, remember back in the 90's when militia members would call in and he wanted to give them a fair shake? It's probably just a mental patient in the local area.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: whatatrip on December 12, 2015, 11:43:38 AM

More likely aliens or shadow people...or possible MIB, or Bigfoot....or aliens.

Tarbaby

Quote from: onan on December 12, 2015, 05:09:15 AM
My physician of 23 years just retired. My favorite TV show is in its last season. Now Art Bell. I have lost so much.
Oprah is going off the air?