• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Breaking Bad

Started by bateman, August 09, 2013, 05:16:17 PM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: basswood on August 28, 2013, 02:35:56 PM
Ten points for the comment but an extra 10 points for the rarely used "ic" suffix on philisitine.

I'll gladly take the 20 points!

In a synchronous moment, I'm actually filling out a "for entertainment purposes" football card at this very moment. 4 for 4 gets you "20 points"  ;)

I'm like Walter White with my underworld dabbling.  :-X

Sardondi

Quote from: basswood on August 28, 2013, 02:35:56 PMTen points for the comment but an extra 10 points for the rarely used "ic" suffix on philisitine.
EC's posts are often where I get my cultural fix for the day.
Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 28, 2013, 03:01:50 PMI'll gladly take the 20 points!

In a synchronous moment, I'm actually filling out a "for entertainment purposes" football card at this very moment. 4 for 4 gets you "20 points"  ;)

I'm like Walter White with my underworld dabbling.  :-X
Except you're the one (said coldly) who turns the cards in knowing you have a chance, not the one who knows it's a waste.....

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on August 28, 2013, 03:55:50 PM
EC's posts are often where I get my cultural fix for the day.

100% twerk-free. Whatever that is. But it sounds like the type of thing Malthus warned us about.

Sardondi

All I know is Mathus existed so I can use "Malthusian" once a decade. Check.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Sardondi on August 28, 2013, 09:51:08 PM

I angered a overly humanistic professor(If Alan Alda were homosexual) with "Malthusian" and "Spencerian" references in a term paper. He was angered because I wasn't using them as opprobrium, but instead somewhat empathic.

Sardondi

Yeah, I think for the last century or so we've been supposed to look askance at Malthus . Seems to me his model neatly handled those nasty overpopulation problems.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 28, 2013, 11:44:34 PM
Yeah, I think for the last century or so we've been supposed to look askance at Malthus . Seems to me his model neatly handled those nasty overpopulation problems.

Judging by the prison bloodbath, Walter White loves him some Malthus. The crime angle was just a smokescreen.

Centurion40

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on August 28, 2013, 08:47:23 AM
         I tend to believe Tony was killed as well. The penultimate episode where Tony and his confederates are holed up a safehouse, he flashes back to Bobby once telling him "you never see it coming"(Bobby clearly didn't see his time coming) .

Agreed.

I'm expecting a new show (one day), featuring a grown-up Anthony Soprano going into the family the business, with a plan in the back of his mind to avenge his father's death.

Sardondi

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 30, 2013, 12:26:31 PM
Agreed.

I'm expecting a new show (one day), featuring a grown-up Anthony Soprano going into the family the business, with a plan in the back of his mind to avenge his father's death.
...and sealing his own fate when he shows up to kill the current head of the Leotardo crew, having forgotten to load his pistol. 

eddie dean

Quote from: Centurion40 on August 30, 2013, 12:26:31 PM
Agreed.

I think David Chase might consider doing a prequel. telling the story of Tony's father and uncle junior "running  jersey" back in the old days.

Centurion40

Quote from: Sardondi on August 30, 2013, 01:08:53 PM
...and sealing his own fate when he shows up to kill the current head of the Leotardo crew, having forgotten to load his pistol.

Well, I never predicted that it would be a long running series!

Centurion40

Quote from: eddie dean on August 30, 2013, 01:28:41 PM
I think David Chase might consider doing a prequel. telling the story of Tony's father and uncle junior "running  jersey" back in the old days.

I'd watch that.

Quote from: Sardondi on August 28, 2013, 09:51:08 PM

Many decades later, I still remember the Malthusian devices from Brave New World. However, I never ever get to use the word, except for today. Thank you, Eddie C & Sardondi. Another synapse working.

Quote from: Sardondi on August 30, 2013, 01:08:53 PM

Poor Anthony, he's such a lump and with no Sonny Corleone to look after him.

Back on Breaking Bad: it would be sweet if Jesse spray painted Heisenberg on Walter's wall. On the other hand, it would be even more of a shocker if it was Walt Jr.

Sardondi

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 30, 2013, 02:47:55 PM...Poor Anthony, he's such a lump and with no Sonny Corleone to look after him....
Yeah Anthony Junior is a lifetime screwup I'm afraid. Even into his 20's he couldn't take the least responsibility for not having followed through....again. In the words of Kevin's cousin in Home Alone, the French would call Anthony "les incompetent". So any plan he may have for revenge is already doomed to failure whether today or 30 years from now.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 30, 2013, 02:47:55 PM...Back on Breaking Bad: it would be sweet if Jesse spray painted Heisenberg on Walter's wall. On the other hand, it would be even more of a shocker if it was Walt Jr.
...or Holly.

Aw, how cute! Holly's first fingerpaint masterpiece: Heisenberg

Cue to Hank and Marie's craniums exploding.

Sardondi

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on August 30, 2013, 07:43:10 PM
Aw, how cute! Holly's first fingerpaint masterpiece: Heisenberg

Cue to Hank and Marie's craniums exploding.
And she'll sing: "♪♫ Crystal Blue Explosion ♫♪..."

eddie dean

Quote from: Sardondi on August 30, 2013, 09:06:26 PM
And she'll sing: "♪♫ Crystal Blue Explosion ♫♪..."

Ha ha! What a perfect song choice during Walt's meth cooking montage.

Sardondi

Quote from: MV on August 30, 2013, 09:25:27 PM

Breaking Bad Aaron Paul on The Price is Right - As A Contestant
Okay, let me say upfront that I'm biased, since next to Skyler, Jesse is my most un-favorite character, mostly from an acting ability standpoint. As in, the role doesn't take any. At least with Aaron Paul in the role.

And I see from the clip that I was right: Aaron Paul isn't acting in his role as Jesse - he's just reading lines and being himself. "Bitch" really is the limit of Aaron Paul's vocabulary, and he really is a poorly educated, spoiled brat with a low-normal IQ. His "acting ability" is that he can cry real tears on cue. He's not going to be doing any Shakespeare In The Park.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Sardondi on August 31, 2013, 08:11:55 AM
Okay, let me say upfront that I'm biased, since next to Skyler, Jesse is my most un-favorite character, mostly from an acting ability standpoint. As in, the role doesn't take any. At least with Aaron Paul in the role.

And I see from the clip that I was right: Aaron Paul isn't acting in his role as Jesse - he's just reading lines and being himself. "Bitch" really is the limit of Aaron Paul's vocabulary, and he really is a poorly educated, spoiled brat with a low-normal IQ. His "acting ability" is that he can cry real tears on cue. He's not going to be doing any Shakespeare In The Park.

He was in an episode of "Sons of Anarchy", and his character was similar, so it was hard to judge his performance. Going out on a limb, it may be safe to say that you ran into a few guys, who were like Jesse and Tony Jr., during your prior career. I think that Jesse went to my high school. In real life, he comes from a religious family.

sleeplessinca

I love BB.  It is like watching a train derail. 

How did Brock get poisoned is a question with a lot of veiwers.  Vince Gilligan said the writers decided that Brock was poisoned by a "juice box man"; WW knows his way around schools and was able to contaminate Brock's lunch while it sat in his cubby hole.  Good thing he doesn't share or trade.

Confessions was an amazing display of Cranston's acting; heavy boss man with Saul, father-knows-best with Jr, manipulative mentor to Jesse, normal business guy at the car wash, brother in law/blackmailer to Hank, there's more.

Never saw Sopranos so can't relate to that.  I have heard the ending is very satisfying though.

sleeplessinca

I meant the ending to BB not Sops which I heard sucked. 

CampsieNP

I am very late to this party. All you guys, who I admire tremendously, made me want to check this show out. Also the clip on the GNS page showing Hank & Marie staring at the TV dumbfounded totally cracked me up.

I am in Season One of BB on netflicks and really enjoying it. My husband is not as sold on it as I am. Netflicks is only on the one TV we mostly watch so he is held captive. After the first few episodes I am not sure how the story line can go on for so many seasons. Hank is hilarious. BB Marathon for Labor Day weekend works for me.

sleeplessinca

OK so I'm on this Dan Hicks kick today.  Some of you were into the Sops and I have never watched that but was surprised to find they used this obscure catchy song of Dan's at the end of The Sopranos episode: Fortunate Son from Season 3 according to YouTube comments.  Good taste that.

Where's the Money? - Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks

eddie dean

Quote from: sleeplessinca on September 01, 2013, 11:10:31 AM
OK so I'm on this Dan Hicks kick today.  Some of you were into the Sops and I have never watched that but was surprised to find they used this obscure catchy song of Dan's at the end of The Sopranos episode: Fortunate Son from Season 3 according to YouTube comments.  Good taste that.

Where's the Money? - Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks

If you like BB you should give Sopranos a chance. The first episode will probably hook you. A moobed up tough guy seeks the advice of a therapist because he has panic attacks.  He doesn't really want to better himself as a human being, or stop his criminal activities. Later on in the series we learn he uses the sessions to gain insight into human behavior, so he can be a better criminal, and hone his skills in lying and manipulating.
Music in the Sop. was like another character in the story, adding so much in ways of mood and mystery. In my recollection it was one of the first TV series to explore music in this way.
BB uses similar techniques with music.

eddie dean

Quote from: CampsieNP on September 01, 2013, 10:28:09 AM
I am very late to this party. All you guys, who I admire tremendously, made me want to check this show out. Also the clip on the GNS page showing Hank & Marie staring at the TV dumbfounded totally cracked me up.

I am in Season One of BB on netflicks and really enjoying it. My husband is not as sold on it as I am. Netflicks is only on the one TV we mostly watch so he is held captive. After the first few episodes I am not sure how the story line can go on for so many seasons. Hank is hilarious. BB Marathon for Labor Day weekend works for me.

I'm glad you made it to the party! I had similar questions about BB in season 1. I thought it might get old, stale and boring. I was pleasantly surprised at how the story developed, twisted and grew, and how the charaters adjust to adversity and threats. It's a fun ride!

bateman

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO, JESSE, GODDAMNIT

CampsieNP

Hey Nucky, thanks for the heads-up to avoid this thread so I don't read the spoilers. I would have PM'ed you but you have your PM blocked. Thank you very much.

I am half way through season 2 right now. Jesse's new posse is on the streets to avoid the middle man. Jesse's guy got robbed at knife-point by those horrible meth-heads, now Walt wants him to become the enforcer to avoid breakage. So that is where I am. I am wondering when Hank's big MI/Heart attack will come, but that is just conjecture on my part. Great show.

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: CampsieNP on September 01, 2013, 10:18:52 PM
Hey Nucky, thanks for the heads-up to avoid this thread so I don't read the spoilers. I would have PM'ed you but you have your PM blocked. Thank you very much.

*I* didn't block my PM feature. I don't know how that happened.

sleeplessinca

Quote from: bateman on September 01, 2013, 08:52:58 PM
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO, JESSE, GODDAMNIT
For real!  I wish he would just work with Hank - even if he would get thrown under the first bus.  "get him where he lives"...  He can't go after the kids - he's appalled by that.  Maybe get Jr. on drugs?  Blow up the carwash?  Jesse!