• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

!!!SPOILER WARNING!!! Star Wars: The Force Awakens discussion

Started by Open Lines Gerry, December 20, 2015, 08:11:28 PM

This is the place to discuss everything related to Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Here is your fair warning - spoilers ahead!  If you don't want to know the plot or anything that happens in the movie, stop reading now!

Otherwise, what did you think of the movie?  Did it meet your expectations?  What did you like about it?  What didn't you like about it?  How do you feel now that this is part of the official Star Wars canon?

The countdown to May 26, 2017 and Episode VIII begins now!

onan

3OctaveFart

I wasn't sure to think of Ren but he is a different kind of villain than any of the movies have had, and that might be a good thing in a movie that was great but formulaic.

He is evil because because he knows he comes up small in comparison to others. It's not as shopworn as a kid who loses it because his mother died.

trostol

Quote from: onan on December 20, 2015, 08:22:35 PM
loved the movie. Except for kylo Ren. He was horrible.

he was too emo for my taste

my main issue, and let me preface..i didnt hate the movie..it wasnt not bad..i was entertained...BUT..i felt i was watching an updated version of A New Hope...

Rey was a lil too..powerful for ...

i am sure we will get it in the next films..but there really needed a bit more..backstory on some things/people in the movie

and i realized after..it was a bit..disneyfied...Rey probably a new disney princess

Quote from: Meatie Pie on December 20, 2015, 08:25:28 PM
I wasn't sure to think of Ren but he is a different kind of villain than any of the movies have had, and that might be a good thing in a movie that was great but formulaic.

He is evil because because he knows he comes up small in comparison to others. It's not as shopworn as a kid who loses it because his mother died.

The jury is still out for me on Kylo Ren as well, but I definitely think he could end up being a really good villain if he becomes more powerful and menacing in the next installment.  It's almost like he was trying too hard to be super bad because he wants to live up to the legacy of Vader.

As for Supreme Leader Snoke, he's the one who kind of bothered me.  I was relieved to see that he wasn't as big (I'm assuming) as we were initially led to believe.  I personally didn't care for his CGI appearance either - pulled me out of the movie and back into reality too much.

I loved the Millennium Falcon - Tie Fighter chase through the old Star Destroyer.  I could have watched that go on forever.  The X-Wing attack on the Starkiller Base, however, didn't live up to the Death Star battles from Episodes IV and VI.

A lot of people are speculating on Rey's backstory, and that she could be Luke's daughter.  That would explain her Force sensitivity, and one other thing I haven't read elsewhere yet (not that it's not out there) - she could be good with all of the mechanical stuff and gadgets thanks to who that would make her grandfather, Anakin Skywalker.  Remember the kid who built his own podracer in Episode I?

Quote from: trostol on December 20, 2015, 08:53:16 PM
he was too emo for my taste

my main issue, and let me preface..i didnt hate the movie..it wasnt not bad..i was entertained...BUT..i felt i was watching an updated version of A New Hope...

Rey was a lil too..powerful for ...

i am sure we will get it in the next films..but there really needed a bit more..backstory on some things/people in the movie

and i realized after..it was a bit..disneyfied...Rey probably a new disney princess

I'm thinking that I'll give this movie a 9 out 10 score.  It would fall below the Original Trilogy, and I haven't made up my mind of where I'd place it vs. Episode III Revenge of the Sith - probably above that one, but not sure yet.

The main thing that bothered me is the point you raised - it was just too similar to the story arc of A New Hope.  I really liked the new main characters that were introduced, and hope they can bring some more originality to the next two episodes.

The highlight for me was Harrison Ford.  It took a minute or two to get used to him being there because, in my mind, it was weird that he had new "official" dialogue now - aside from the Han Solo I've "known" and haven't heard from since 1983.  I was so hoping it wouldn't go off the rails.  Fortunately, the story did the character justice (unlike Indiana Jones in "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull," thanks to Lucas and Spielberg), and this was the Han Solo I remembered.  The scenes with Han and Chewie were my favorites.

3OctaveFart

It's the best SW movie I've seen in 32 years. And I believe it was better acted than the previous six movies.

QuoteAnakin: Mom, you said that the biggest problem in the universe is no one helps each other.

There were no lines of dialogue like this, either.

3OctaveFart

Quote from: Open Lines Gerry on December 20, 2015, 08:57:26 PM
The jury is still out for me on Kylo Ren as well, but I definitely think he could end up being a really good villain if he becomes more powerful and menacing in the next installment.  It's almost like he was trying too hard to be super bad because he wants to live up to the legacy of Vader.

I had a problem with Kylo Ren using the Force at Darth Sidious levels.

But then I concluded the First Order is not as sinister as the Empire, Snoke is not as menacing as Emperor Palpatine and Ren is not as malevolent as Darth Vader. And that the bad dudes are going to have to raise their game. Which is good for the second act in a three-act play.

b_dubb

Kylo Ren wasn't disfigured. Don't you have to be horribly disfigured to be a Sith? Or just really poor anger management?

I liked the movie but I wasn't crazy about it.

trostol

Quote from: b_dubb on December 20, 2015, 10:23:06 PM
Kylo Ren wasn't disfigured. Don't you have to be horribly disfigured to be a Sith? Or just really poor anger management?

I liked the movie but I wasn't crazy about it.

he wasn't a sith...i think he was more a dark jedi

jazmunda

I think Kylo Renn would have been more effective if he never took off his mask.

trostol

Quote from: jazmunda on December 20, 2015, 10:36:02 PM

his head looked huge lol

jazmunda

Quote from: b_dubb on December 20, 2015, 11:04:57 PM
Kylo and Rey are siblings right?

I don't think they are. I have a sneaking suspicion that Rey is Luke's daughter. I think if there was a daughter in Han and Leia's life, even one they gave up as a child, then she would have been mentioned when they were pining about losing Kylo.

I liked how they named him Ben after Ben Kenobi even if that wasn't his real name.

I will be disappointed if they aren't related though. I think she should have some blood relation to Vader and Skywalker if she's to be "the one" so to speak rather than being some random.

The Kraken

Quote from: trostol on December 20, 2015, 08:53:16 PM
BUT..i felt i was watching an updated version of A New Hope...
Yes. A lot of stuff seemed to be very recycled from A New Hope which wasn't really a big deal but it was apparent.

Quote from: jazmunda on December 20, 2015, 10:36:02 PM
It seems like he didn't even need the mask and just wore it as an homage to Vader.

jazmunda

Quote from: The Kraken on December 20, 2015, 11:25:22 PM
Yes. A lot of stuff seemed to be very recycled from A New Hope which wasn't really a big deal but it was apparent.
It seems like he didn't even need the mask and just wore it as an homage to Vader.

Yeah he seemed to want approval from grand daddy. They could have at least given him asthma.

The Kraken

Quote from: b_dubb on December 20, 2015, 10:23:06 PM

I don't think that's a rule. Dooku wasn't disfigured and Palpatine doesn't become disfigured until long after he was a Sith.

jazmunda

Renn was clearly being used as a pawn to get to Skywalker. Rey will be used next. She will be tempted by the dark side for a minute before overcoming that desire and killing whoever is pulling the strings. The supreme leader snoke may or may not be that person. He could also be a pawn to some more powerful force. Skywalker will die between now and the last scene of these movies.

Quote from: jazmunda on December 21, 2015, 12:04:50 AM
Renn was clearly being used as a pawn to get to Skywalker. Rey will be used next. She will be tempted by the dark side for a minute before overcoming that desire and killing whoever is pulling the strings. The supreme leader snoke may or may not be that person. He could also be a pawn to some more powerful force. Skywalker will die between now and the last scene of these movies.

Seems like they are going to re-hash a lot of the original trilogy's story line. I can see Luke in a Yoda type role.

jazmunda

Quote from: nooryisawesome on December 21, 2015, 12:23:02 AM
Seems like they are going to re-hash a lot of the original trilogy's story line. I can see Luke in a Yoda type role.

Yeah I was half expecting the map to lead to Dagobah.

pate

At least there were no Ewok sightings.  If Disney brings back the Ewoks, I am done...

http://www.theforce.net/swtc/holocaust.html
(read about the Ewok Holocaust if you dare)

Fate of the Ewoks

No animal larger than a few kilograms and incapable of long sheltered hibernation could survive the Endorian calamity. The air might even have been poisoned and deoxygenated for a few years until simple plant life could return to growth. If so then it is possible that all animal life perished. In any case any ewok on the surface who was not equipped with impressive high-technology survival gear and a nuclear shelter must have died.

Above is a brief snippet from the long defunct "Star Wars Technical Journals" website that I once read in a college town at a university in a village long ago and far away...

Or somesuch.  Haven't seen the movie, yet.  But "I have a baaaad feeling about this..."

b_dubb

Luke isn't Yoda. More of a Ben Kenobi\Quai Gon Jin.

"Luke what's your plan?"

"I'm going to dress up as a burlap sack and stand around on this planet that looks like Scotland"

3OctaveFart

Saw it again this morning before work and I can't figure out how Finn broke his conditioning.

It's probably a function of J.J. Abrams needing one Stormtrooper to have resisted the brainwashing to advance the plot point.

Also, it is clearer that Kylo Ren fully believes he is a good guy and a restorer of balance, not a villain.