• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

For Art's piece 'o mind, Windows 10 and DVD playback

Started by Sehnzeleid, November 19, 2015, 04:46:32 PM

Sehnzeleid

Based on Art's comments about hesitating to upgrade to Windows 10 a few shows ago, I think he might be under the impression the new OS lacks a DVD player. Of course Win10 has a few sticky points regarding privacy, but it does have DVD software (despite no longer having Windows Media Player).

The DVD software honestly kinda sucks though. Very basic with minimal options and fairly poor picture quality. I'd try out VLC media player or Media Player Classic. Both free, easy to use, and much more feature-packed. VLC doesn't even recognize DVD regions or NTSC/PAL, so it'll play any DVD in the world. Both can play much more than just DVD. I don't know if Art is a videophile as he is an audiophile, but there's also a modified Media Player Classic, the Kawaii Codec Pack, which builds in several powerful image renderer add-ons (and a ton of picture options). Many with PCs running their home theaters swear by it.           

Sean92008

"Sticky points?"  More like industrial expoxy  ;D

I'd be more concerned about how Windows 10 (WX) is allowing the literal monitoring of your computer.  Yeah, they do it in the name of security and, when questioned deeper, that they're monitoring for stolen/pirated software but it is more...

I'd think that AB would be more interested in sticking with a stable, proven-over-time operating system. 

Guess, at 70, he just doesn't give a damn :D

cweb

Quote from: Sean92008 on November 21, 2015, 11:46:55 PM
"Sticky points?"  More like industrial expoxy  ;D

I'd be more concerned about how Windows 10 (WX) is allowing the literal monitoring of your computer.  Yeah, they do it in the name of security and, when questioned deeper, that they're monitoring for stolen/pirated software but it is more...

I'd think that AB would be more interested in sticking with a stable, proven-over-time operating system. 

Guess, at 70, he just doesn't give a damn :D
This Windows 10 tracking shit is starting to freak me out a bit. When I recently refurbished my laptop, I was tempted to try out 10. But after seeing all this stuff about tracking, I'll pass.

Methinks the next machine will run Linux with a Windows VM for the programs I crapsolutely need, since Apple OSX has gotten worser over the past 5 years or so.

And VLC > whatever Microsoft craps out.

If you disable it during the setup, you don't have to worry about it...

deadmeow

I tried the top Windows 10 version for a month, and went back to Windows 7.  The DVD player is a pile of poo for win10.  My favorite video player of choice is Pot Player (does not need external codecs installed just like VLC), but Windows Media Player plays DVD's the best, and also plays all HD content without screen tearing.

Coffeeman

Quote from: deadmeow on November 24, 2015, 07:27:37 PM
I tried the top Windows 10 version for a month, and went back to Windows 7.  The DVD player is a pile of poo for win10.  My favorite video player of choice is Pot Player (does not need external codecs installed just like VLC), but Windows Media Player plays DVD's the best, and also plays all HD content without screen tearing.

I kept having some bad dithering issues with VLC a long ways back and went with Media Player Classic (not the MS version if you remember back far back enough). Its like Pot Player and you can customize the heck out of it, but the native playback in versions the last few years has been pretty solid.

Sehnzeleid

Quote from: HedgehogNorman on November 24, 2015, 06:35:24 PM
If you disable it during the setup, you don't have to worry about it...

There's also a Privacy tab in the PC Settings section. Even if one is still wearing tinfoil after that, there's a "DisableWinTracking" tool over at GitHub, here, that simplifies what can be done in PowerShell to shut down any tracking totally no matter if you select it to be On or Off in the Privacy settings.   

nudaydawning

Quote from: deadmeow on November 24, 2015, 07:27:37 PM

VLC, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, Kodi ...numerous ways to watch DVD's on your computer. Even with Windows 10.