• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

How much sleep do you get?

Started by onan, October 10, 2015, 12:37:42 PM

onan

I have, for some time, wondered how so many forum members are able to follow late night radio so consistently? I live on the east coast, probably the worst time zone for late night radio. I can't "do it live" anymore.

Are many of you sleep deprived? take naps? work third shift? or meth heads?

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 12:37:42 PM
I have, for some time, wondered how so many forum members are able to follow late night radio so consistently? I live on the east coast, probably the worst time zone for late night radio. I can't "do it live" anymore.

I mostly work nights, though I'm trying to give it up. Since my first night job 10 years ago I've adopted a pattern of sleeping 'properly' one day/night and just napping the next. Doesn't seem to matter how much I smoke or how little caffiene I've had.

GravitySucks

Cooius amounts of drugs and alcohol, from what I can gather.

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on October 10, 2015, 01:13:15 PM
I mostly work nights, though I'm trying to give it up. Since my first night job 10 years ago I've adopted a pattern of sleeping 'properly' one day/night and just napping the next. Doesn't seem to matter how much I smoke or how little caffiene I've had.

I worked third shift for two years after nursing school. That was 12 years ago. Every once in a while friends or family will keep me up till the early hours. The next day is rough. I would hate to have to work through the night now.

starrmtn001

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 01:19:02 PM
I worked third shift for two years after nursing school. That was 12 years ago. Every once in a while friends or family will keep me up till the early hours. The next day is rough. I would hate to have to work through the night now.
Years ago, I worked graveyard shift at a photo lab.  The "Night Shift" hours on BellGab are about the same.

onan

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 10, 2015, 01:22:52 PM
Years ago, I worked graveyard shift at a photo lab.  The "Night Shift" hours on BellGab are about the same.

I still get disrupted sleep. Often a client will call in the early morning hours. Sometimes it is difficult to fall back asleep. The only rational thing to do at that point is to read posts on Bellgab.

starrmtn001

HA!  This was the top of the page advertisement when I clicked reply to your post Onan. ;D

http://sleep.sprayable.co/getsleep?gclid=CMqsrcXQuMgCFYM_aQodYUMOzA

onan

starrmtn001

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 01:26:45 PM
Benadryl is much cheaper.
I rarely take anything to make me sleep.  I would feel like crap the entire next day.  That's also why I don't drink anymore.  Hangovers so suck lol! ;)

BobGrau

I used to manage a hotel overnight, body sitting still all night and brain fizzing with numbers and things that I no longer had to remember but did just in case. These days I stack grocery shelves all night while the brain atrophies over Art Bell and Falkie.

onan

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 10, 2015, 01:32:20 PM
I rarely take anything to make me sleep.  I would feel like crap the entire next day.  That's also why I don't drink anymore.  Hangovers so suck lol! ;)

Completely agree. I used to (in the 80's) drink heavily several days a week. The hangovers were always horrible. How I worked though them?, fear of being unemployed.

I have used benadryl many times over the years, the next day always feels like I have a sack over my brain.

onan

Quote from: BobGrau on October 10, 2015, 01:37:29 PM
I used to manage a hotel overnight, body sitting still all night and brain fizzing with numbers and things that I no longer had to remember but did just in case. These days I stack grocery shelves all night while the brain atrophies over Art Bell and Falkie.

Do you work alone, or do you have others to talk with?

starrmtn001

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 01:39:05 PM
Completely agree. I used to (in the 80's) drink heavily several days a week. The hangovers were always horrible. How I worked though them?, fear of being unemployed.

I have used benadryl many times over the years, the next day always feels like I have a sack over my brain.
You gotta a brain???  Ah man, what's it like? ;D

GravitySucks

Actually I catch a power nap about 30-45 minutes before MiTD and then "The Chase" brings me back to psuedo wakefulness. If the show is interseting then I start gabbing. If not, I go back to sleep. If the gabbing is interesting, I will start listening to OSOM. If that show is interesting I will listen until I fall asleep.  My work is flexible, so sometimes I catch 4 hours sleep, sometimes 5 or 6. And I have a couch at work that I use if the sleep deficit starts building up. I don't charge them when I am sleeping and they have grown used to my snoring.

Although I usually tell them that I have a sinus headache... I don't want them judging my late night antics on BellGab.

I've been getting more sleep lately because OSOM hasn't been holding my interest as much.  I'm a subscriber and I want bith Art and RCH to succeed, but I won't stay up until 4am just hoping for a Braap.

starrmtn001

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 10, 2015, 01:43:09 PM
Actually I catch a power nap about 30-45 minutes before MiTD and then "The Chase" brings me back to psuedo wakefulness. If the show is interseting then I start gabbing. If not, I go back to sleep. If the gabbing is interesting, I will start listening to OSOM. If that show is interesting I will listen until I fall asleep.  My work is flexible, so sometimes I catch 4 hours sleep, sometimes 5 or 6. And I have a couch at work that I use if the sleep deficit starts building up. I don't charge them when I am sleeping and they have grown used to my snoring.

Although I usually tell them that I have a sinus headache... I don't want them judging my late night antics on BellGab.

I've been getting more sleep lately because OSOM hasn't been holding my interest as much.  I'm a subscriber and I want both Art and RCH to succeed, but I won't stay up until 4am just hoping for a Braap.
I have a very similar listening pattern.  But right now, I'm house and pet sitting for my cousin and can't always stay up for the shows.  I think I'm starting to have withdrawals. :(

SciFiAuthor

I write for a living, so I can usually keep whatever schedule I want. During the day, if I block up or get frustrated while writing, I pop on Bellgab for a few minutes and check out the threads. At night, Art/Hoagland are the recreational cap of the day for me and my gf, who is also self-employed. That said, I have massive sleep problems due to a neurological disorder. Some nights I get no real sleep at all, others I crash hard and zonk out for 10 hours.

starrmtn001

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 10, 2015, 01:49:45 PM
I write for a living, so I can usually keep whatever schedule I want. During the day, if I block up or get frustrated while writing, I pop on Bellgab for a few minutes and check out the threads. At night, Art/Hoagland are the recreational cap of the day for me and my gf, who is also self-employed. That said, I have massive sleep problems due to a neurological disorder. Some nights I get no real sleep at all, others I crash hard and zonk out for 10 hours.
Hey SciFi, you can write off your "zonk time" if you use it for book research. ;)

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 10, 2015, 01:54:12 PM
Hey SciFi, you can write off your "zonk time" if you use it for book research. ;)

Funny enough Starr, my non-zonk time contributes to my writing. I have trouble getting to REM sleep and that puts me into the half-asleep/hypnogogic state for abnormal lengths of time. Some nights I alternate between going half-asleep and popping awake for hours on end. I keep a pad and paper next to the bed and write down the hypnogogic dreams/brain wanderings I have and sometimes that results in ideas for stories.

BobGrau

Quote from: starrmtn001 on October 10, 2015, 01:54:12 PM

I think they call it "show prep" in the business.

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 10, 2015, 02:06:15 PM
Funny enough Starr, my non-zonk time contributes to my writing. I have trouble getting to REM sleep and that puts me into the half-asleep/hypnogogic state for abnormal lengths of time. Some nights I alternate between going half-asleep and popping awake for hours on end. I keep a pad and paper next to the bed and write down the hypnogogic dreams/brain wanderings I have and sometimes that results in ideas for stories.

I was wondering why there were all those sci fi listings for stories about giant mutated bacon cheeseburgers.

GravitySucks

If you have an idevice, check out an app called Brainwaves. You have to wear earbuds, but it will get you into REM sleep. It uses binaural beats with ambient noise. I think you can buy the complete package with all of the tracks for about $10. You can set the timer from 3 minutes up to any number of hours and some of the tracks will even bring you back to wakefulness at the end.

I even use it at work when I am doing really boring tasks. Not to sleep, but they have tracks to focus your attention. It really works for me.

starrmtn001

Years ago, I used to keep a Dream Journal, and write poetry and prose.

BobGrau

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 01:40:02 PM
Do you work alone, or do you have others to talk with?

Ach, buncha dull-witted proles I'm really modest and nice about those less fortunate than me.

There are folks around, and they're fine enough, but I really hate talking out loud. I mean physically it just pisses me off.

jazmunda

I'm glad I live on the other side of the world and can listen live with the show on in the background while at work. If the show aired here at night in either the equivalent US east or west coast times there was no way I could do that.

Your solution onan is to move to Australia.

onan

Quote from: jazmunda on October 10, 2015, 03:11:53 PM
I'm glad I live on the other side of the world and can listen live with the show on in the background while at work. If the show aired here at night in either the equivalent US east or west coast times there was no way I could do that.

Your solution onan is to move to Australia.

Your country's quality standards wont allow me within 50 miles of your coast line. You are a wise people.

starrmtn001

Quote from: onan on October 10, 2015, 03:22:01 PM
Your country's quality standards wont allow me within 50 miles of your coast line. You are a wise people.
Aww, c'mon onan, I don't believe that. :(  LIAR! ;D

BobGrau

This thread is partly responsible for me giving up coffee last sunday. I can forgive but never quite forget.

zeebo

It's tough ... I spent years sleep-listening to Noory so it was never a problem before .. but now for MITD I try to be actually awake.

My current schedule is to lose sleep all week and then go into mini-hibernation each weekend to recover.