• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

20151005 - Tess Gerritsen - Author - Live Show Chat Thread

Started by jazmunda, October 05, 2015, 04:32:03 PM

SciFiAuthor

It's interesting to contrast the publishing industry with Hollywood. Publishing is no angel, but the litigiousness that goes on with screenwriting and story rights is insane in Hollywood.

Weirdoradio

Quote from: Barfly on October 05, 2015, 10:56:14 PM
I think we will get bat shit crazy Hoagie tonight, one can only hope

I foresee.... A 45 minute monologue that will discuss Trump's presidential run, new NASA photos on Flickr (he will also invite listeners to draw red circles with numbers on 'em), plug Robin's radio show in a strange way, talk sbout the disruptions in the torsion field as they relate to our behaviours and will top things off with some veiled reference to the old-time Hollywood greats.

He will then go to his guest.

And then later this wee he will promise us open lines and give us SIX STRAIGHT HOURS OF DAVE DISTLER SHENANIGANS.

flimflam384

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 05, 2015, 10:52:40 PM
I was right all along... GravitySucks, especially stolen Gravity.

As a writer, she continually confirms all of my worst fears about making a pitch.

Donald Noory

What exactly is she squawking about? She sold the rights to New Line Cinema. New Line was purchased by Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. made the movie. And she said she was paid well by New Line for the script. So why was she mad? Did she not get her name on the credits? (I never saw Gravity).
Also, she said herself that the first two thirds of her book are not in the movie, and that he just used the idea of a female astronaut floating in space. Well guess what you can't copyright ideas.

Then again I see why she might be mad if she knew the Gravity director had access to her script and is trying to say his script has nothing to do with it.

Quote from: Weirdoradio on October 05, 2015, 10:59:44 PM
I foresee.... A 45 minute monologue that will discuss Trump's presidential run, new NASA photos on Flickr (he will also invite listeners to draw red circles with numbers on 'em), plug Robin's radio

Don't forget club 19.5!

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Dr_Blue on October 05, 2015, 10:58:49 PM
Could it be the hair pose?

Yes.  Funny enough, she's a bit Jodie Fosterish.

Barfly would probably enjoy doing a mission with her. 

Barfly

Quote from: coaster on October 05, 2015, 10:59:18 PM
I found the movie Gravity exhausting, but in a good way. Some crazy edge of your seat stuff.
Personally i didn't care for it, i also find this show boring tonight.
Art should have had two guest and split the show up.

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 05, 2015, 11:00:12 PM
What exactly is she squawking about? She sold the rights to New Line Cinema. New Line was purchased by Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. made the movie. And she said she was paid well by New Line for the script. So why was she mad? Did she not get her name on the credits? (I never saw Gravity).
Also, she said herself that the first two thirds of her book are not in the movie, and that he just used the idea of a female astronaut floating in space. Well guess what you can't copyright ideas.

Then again I see why she might be mad if she knew the Gravity director had access to her script and is trying to say his script has nothing to do with it.

She had contractual rights to a cut from the film along with a right to be in the credits. When New Line was acquired by Warner Bros. they refused to honor the original contract and she got screwed. It happened to a ton of people actually when that takeover happened.

Juan Cena

Quote from: Barfly on October 05, 2015, 10:51:51 PM
This show has taken a turn from the paranormal, not sure i like that.
I'm was gonna make a noose and get ready to hang myself, but i still got RCH to save me.

Then again, the idea of multinational media companies getting away with screwing writers over is more evil and twisted than the usual paranormal topic de jour.

JamesMcDonald

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 05, 2015, 11:00:12 PM

They ripped off her plot to make the movie.  It ain't rocket science, bro.

Article explaining it in detail here
http://www.bustle.com/articles/61712-did-alfonso-cuarns-gravity-steal-its-plot-from-a-book-which-umm-is-also-called-gravity

Rocky4228

Why would you have to believe in hell if you believe in heaven?

Donald Noory

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on October 05, 2015, 11:01:54 PM
She had contractual rights to a cut from the film along with a right to be in the credits. When New Line was acquired by Warner Bros. they refused to honor the original contract and she got screwed. It happened to a ton of people actually when that takeover happened.

Oh ok she didn't get percentage points. Hmm...

Weirdoradio

Quote from: whiptrackercracker on October 05, 2015, 11:01:01 PM
Don't forget club 19.5!

He will lead the show off with a shout out to Club 19.5 and after his 45 minute yakfest he will also praise the number 19.5 itself, and chastise anyone who goes around rounding it up to 20.

albrecht

Quote from: Barfly on October 05, 2015, 11:01:44 PM
Personally i didn't care for it, i also find this show boring tonight.
Art should have had two guest and split the show up.
Ugh. Split shows suck. Go to open lines, drive the guest into a better show, or speculate about whatever. Don't go the split-show Norry style of crap.
Then, again, the use of term "milieu" is often a sign....

Donald Noory

Quote from: JamesMcDonald on October 05, 2015, 11:03:26 PM
They ripped off her plot to make the movie.  It ain't rocket science, bro.

She sold the script to New line, Bro. And New Line was purchased by WB and they made the movie, Bro. And she got paid by New Line, Bro. It ain't exactly rocket science is it, Bro? (douchebag)

She didn't get percentage points or her name on the credits, Bro.

Weirdoradio

Art masterfully shifts the convo away from Hollywood to ghosts and the paranormal. Well played,  sir.

maren

Quote from: Dr_Blue on October 05, 2015, 11:06:19 PM

You're posting some amazing pics, Dr. Blue -- don't they just make you want to float around in space for awhile?  Tethered, natch.

Barfly

Quote from: Juan Cena on October 05, 2015, 11:02:46 PM
Then again, the idea of multinational media companies getting away with screwing writers over is more evil and twisted than the usual paranormal topic de jour.
My point is the first hour of the show was a bit mainstream, hope it gets better.
Waiting for nutcase Hoagie, he entertains me with his bazaar mind .

Quote from: jazmunda on October 05, 2015, 11:05:11 PM
Does he forget where he got the name Dark Matter from?

From all the now deleted posts he was making, it sounded as if his little news program is what made this little radio host successful. You know just a little radio guy whose been on the air for forever.

Dr_Blue

Quote from: maren on October 05, 2015, 11:07:44 PM
You're posting some amazing pics, Dr. Blue -- don't they just make you want to float around in space for awhile?  Tethered, natch.
Ya!................take me away..................

coaster

Quote from: maren on October 05, 2015, 11:07:44 PM
That must be an incredible experience. 

Barfly

SciFiAuthor

Quote from: Donald Noory on October 05, 2015, 11:03:37 PM
Oh ok she didn't get percentage points. Hmm...

Probably more than that, the film grossed 723 million on a 100 million investment. She probably lost a significant amount of money.