• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Official I Hate Open Lines Thread

Started by Richard Howard, July 24, 2015, 08:42:46 PM

Murder101

Quote from: transistor under my pillow on July 24, 2015, 09:38:24 PM
I've been saying this all week. We waited 2 years for Art to return to the airwaves and the first world problems of some of his fans start on Day 1.

To the original poster, if you didn't enjoy the very first phone call, there's nothing here for you.  Good news though. C2C needs more listeners.
Oh piss off. There is plenty to enjoy if you don't like open lines and callers. Like the guests, you know, the ones that make up the largest chunk of the show. Don't get shitty because someone doesn't enjoy the same exact aspects of the show as you.

PING

Quote from: DanTSX on July 24, 2015, 09:24:35 PM
You fucking crybabies. 

Art should just quit again.  He can't make all the autists happy.   

>muh 3 hours not enough
>open lines cant handle such randomness
>muh first caller was fake
>zomg it rained in Pahrump and the sound cut out for 243ms.
>jazmunda called in again
>I don't like X guest, I refuse to listen ablooobloooobloooobloobloooo
>muh snowflake browser doesn't work with the download.
>much hassle is download, such 3 parts.

I love you. Not in a Brokeback Mountain way but Jesus H. Christ did you nail this perfectly.

MV you need to get a bowing "WE'RE NOT WORTHY" smiley for posts like this

henge0stone

Quote from: guitardog on July 25, 2015, 12:43:05 PM
I love playing Fallout Vegas while listening to Art ..kind of weird but its all me :)

Same here! They fit so well cause they are both in the desert. Lot of Skyrim while listening too.

gbneely

Open lines with Noory is God awful... with Art Bell, pure listening gold. You'll get your 4 nights of guests and on Friday, you get to hear a master take unscreened calls and make it sound good. Enjoy the ride.

Jackstar

Quote from: MB Wulf on July 25, 2015, 08:48:56 PM
Open Closed lines with Noory the Premier Radio Corporate Callscreening Shill is... God awful a counterfeit product. 

I think I might be trying too hard here.

Zetaspeak

I normally find open lines wit anybody else (especially Jorch) to be really boring

BUT, I really like the Art open lines. I think it's due to the unscreened way Art does it. You never really know what's coming next. Plus Art just has a great way of interacting with people and digging deeper during a good call and moving on quick during a lame call.

For some reason Noory open lines all sound the same and is horrible. Art open lines are much more diverse and interesting. This past Friday's MITD open lines was great.

SredniVashtar

I don't know how someone can think of open lines as laziness. Surely it is the other way around? Having to take a new call and respond to what they have to say, or try and turn it into something interesting if the caller sounds like a bit of a dud, is not my idea of a relaxing few hours behind a mic. At least, if you care about what you are putting out it isn't. If you are someone like Dave who simply turns up and has an eye on the clock all the time so he can get out of the studio as fast as he can, then it probably is an easy show to host, especially if you never listen to what anyone says and just mutter 'absolutely' whenever anyone completes a sentence.

The other guy seems a distant memory these days, so let's not mention him more than we have to.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: MB Wulf on July 25, 2015, 08:48:56 PM
Open lines with Noory is God awful... with Art Bell, pure listening gold. You'll get your 4 nights of guests and on Friday, you get to hear a master take unscreened calls and make it sound good. Enjoy the ride.

That's right ....enjoy the ride, while it lasts, whatever the content..
My mom remoted viewed Art's last MNID show.
Art spent the whole show reading names and numbers from the Phrump phone book.
It was still an A+ show, compared to any of Dave's nightly crapfest.

Falkie_Fan

Quote from: DanTSX on July 24, 2015, 09:24:35 PM
You fucking crybabies. 

Art should just quit again.  He can't make all the autists happy.   

He will soon enough......

Open lines is awesome! Before Art came back on me and my girl would listen to older open lines shows all the time.

PathoJen

Open lines is kind of like a crap shoot. Sometimes it's a bit dull but then there are times when you get an awesome call that becomes and instant classic. I personally love it. The calls on Friday were all pretty good I thought. I liked Jaz's call and the Irish bloke who called.  Great stories!

nika01

Quote from: Richard Howard on July 24, 2015, 08:42:46 PM
<rant> Really I do. It's laziness. Much better to have guests and topics than to hear, "Hi Art, how are you doing? Love the show. Long time listener, first time caller" fifty times in a night. No caller will be as interesting as a guest and thoughtful interview with a focused theme. </rant>

You are a moron

My fav calls was the Black Eyed Children time traveler and the guy who smacked himself in the back of the head and chased himself. Instant classics

nika01

There are some seriously fucked up people posting here. Why dont y'all just go suckle at the teat of the "other" show and dont let the door hit you in the ass as you are leaving

Freyja

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 26, 2015, 06:33:53 AM
I don't know how someone can think of open lines as laziness. Surely it is the other way around? Having to take a new call and respond to what they have to say, or try and turn it into something interesting if the caller sounds like a bit of a dud, is not my idea of a relaxing few hours behind a mic. At least, if you care about what you are putting out it isn't. If you are someone like Dave who simply turns up and has an eye on the clock all the time so he can get out of the studio as fast as he can, then it probably is an easy show to host, especially if you never listen to what anyone says and just mutter 'absolutely' whenever anyone completes a sentence.

The other guy seems a distant memory these days, so let's not mention him more than we have to.

Well said!!  :)

nika01

Quote from: Richard Howard on July 24, 2015, 09:02:37 PM
Noory has nothing to do with this topic, nor does does your reply refute the premise. Art + Guest > Open Lines.
I think you arent a moron, you are just an evil asshole

onan

For my money, chocolate is better than vanilla.

SaucyRossy

This is a joke thread right?

Open lines rules with Art.

Paradox

Quote from: SredniVashtar on July 26, 2015, 06:33:53 AM

I agree!  The other guy is a very distant memory for me now, as is the other show.  I know Art's fans disagree about the Open Lines shows.  Some love them and feel they are the best shows of all.  Others just put up with them.  Personally?  I like all the shows.  I find that even if a topic is one I have no interest in, Art can actually generate some interest on my part.  Guess that's all part of his gift.   :)

Fearlessjay

I reckon Noorie's split shows probably have a lot to do with the Open lines hatred. The rare occasion he'd have a decent guest on after 30 minutes would usually go straight to open lines to have Bill the amateur atheist spend 20 minutes asking pointless questions and the show would usually get worse after that.

Sure Ghost to Ghost used to be one of the most famous C2C shows and that was all open lines.

Heather Wade

Quote from: onan on July 26, 2015, 06:11:48 PM
For my money, chocolate is better than vanilla.

This is the real issue at hand.

Fearlessjay

I'm Irish, and there was a poll that Ireland eats the 3rd most chocolate on the planet that was big news in all the Irish papers. . My wife is Swiss, they eat the most. Can't we be best at anything.

onan

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 04:55:45 PM
I'm Irish, and there was a poll that Ireland eats the 3rd most chocolate on the planet that was big news in all the Irish papers. . My wife is Swiss, they eat the most. Can't we be best at anything.
100% of Irishmen originate from Ireland. Take that you chocolate eating Swiss.

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 04:55:45 PM

Yes, I believe the Russians have ever surpassed the Irish in drunks.

Fearlessjay

As a dub who has been drinking with a lot of Germans, the whole Irish drink a lot thing is nonsense. We just show it a lot better. Can tell when we have been on the booze, the Germans are like machines who endlessly drink and still show no emotion. We tell you you are our bestest mate, we love you, sing songs, and tend to collapse. Russians are similar to us.

albrecht

Quote from: Fearlessjay on July 27, 2015, 05:01:25 PM
As a dub who has been drinking with a lot of Germans, the whole Irish drink a lot thing is nonsense. We just show it a lot better. Can tell when we have been on the booze, the Germans are like machines who endlessly drink and still show no emotion. We tell you you are our bestest mate, we love you, sing songs, and tend to collapse. Russians are similar to us.
Scots drink a lot. Czechs also. Unless you are with a Bavarian, you won't get much emotion from a German although they drink quite a lot. Russians can drink and have weird proverbs/superstitions (like if you open a bottle it must be finished and I recall something about "unlucky" to have more than two people for a bottle.)
Though my experience is jaded because, somehow, I hangout with people who drink and find myself at pars and pubs when I travel so, obviously, I would think "that country" drinks.

ps: I like open-lines. Some of the best shows, and guests, have come from open lines: Mel (with his Hole,) Mr.Fidget, Area 51 Caller, Bugs (and his dead bigfeet,) political debates (militia, racial stuff,) and, "of course," as Norry says, the "Ghost-To-Ghost" shows.