• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Will Art shares his numbers!?!

Started by area51drone, July 23, 2015, 01:20:21 PM

area51drone

I'm hearing from a number of people privately that they tuned out as soon as they heard it was LMH on last night.   I haven't listened to it yet but my guess is its the same old same old and hence she just doesn't carry the numbers that say the CIA spy guy the night before did.   

It would be REALLY cool if Art would share his listenership each night, so that we the audience could see who was a winner and who wasn't...  even if he didn't want to give exact numbers, he could perhaps give us a graph of the night to see how many people tune in and out of a show. 

I did catch a bit of RCH's program, and he claimed "tens of thousands" of people were listening to him (RCH), which he said Art was impressed with.

DesertFox

I like Linda myself.  Hard to say by such a small sample how much numbers any show gets.  For all we know, the numbers could have been high.

Uncle Duke

Quote from: area51drone on July 23, 2015, 01:20:21 PM
I did catch a bit of RCH's program, and he claimed "tens of thousands" of people were listening to him (RCH), which he said Art was impressed with.

Tens of thousands?  For Hoagland?  How many of those listeners are in Russia?

Sounds like a job for Bart Ell.

area51drone

It would be really sweet if Art did publish his numbers, and we were able to bet on how popular guests were going to be, like a game with leaderboards and such.   If Art were willing to publish the numbers, I'd be willing to code that up!     What do you say Art, sound fun?

Morgus

I haven't heard of the DM stream reaching the cap (total listener limit) as of yet and Keith mentioned a few weeks ago the cap is around 60,000 total listeners at a time?

PING

I'm not a tech person so sorry if this is an idiot question. I've been listening through the Tunein app over wifi. Never have issues. Does that count against the 60,000 limit or is it just people that stream through either artbell.com or DMDN site?

DanTSX

I'm willing to bet that no matter what they think the number is, it will not be accurate.   They will have to refine the number over time as they learn how to estimate the mixed media types.

Trust me guys this isn't a perfect science in any way.  Their best chance is counting the PayPal sign ups right now.

area51drone

That's true, but even if we knew what their stream was, as long as they're not topping it out every night, we could still calculate that for guest vs guest.    I think it'd be really fun to make a game of betting on guest or show popularity.   Anyone remember that celebrity stock market Art pushed way back when?  It seemed like Art enjoyed that, but it might have had something to do with his own vanity.

Quote from: Uncle Duke on July 23, 2015, 01:58:45 PM
Tens of thousands?  For Hoagland?  How many of those listeners are in Russia?

Sounds like a job for Bart Ell.
It may also count the people that left the stream running (like myself) to put them to sleep.

Jackstar

Quote from: DanTSX on July 23, 2015, 06:30:46 PM
I'm willing to bet that no matter what they think the number is, it will not be accurate.

The difference between a listener that is actively listening to the show, and one that simply has the stream on but muted in the background, or has bored the listener to sleep, are all factors that are relevant to any analysis of the raw numbers. This has to be compensated for before making any announcements that most people are going to ignore or misinterpret anyway.

Also, it's essentially a trade secret. It makes sense that it is not revealed in its blazing, triumphant, multiple digit glory.

Meister_000

Quote from: PING on July 23, 2015, 05:41:05 PM
. . . I've been listening through the Tunein app over wifi. Never have issues. Does that count against the 60,000 limit or is it just people that stream through either artbell.com or DMDN site?

That cap (whatever the actual number or value) applies to just the streaming bandwidth capacity between artbell.com and DMDN. TuneIn has it's own separate capacities which I assume are far greater and more scalable/flexible -- or else the show couldn' grow. They were saying 40,000 (I believe) on TuneIn alone  at a peak-point during Art's show a night or two ago.

area51drone

40k.. that's so incredible right off the bat that that many people have been looking forward to Art's return.   Given they have leaderboards on tune in and any other streaming stuff, Art surely will build a big online following very quickly.   Amazing

Meister_000

Quote from: area51drone on July 24, 2015, 12:16:36 PM
. , . Art surely will build a big online following very quickly.   Amazing

I hope so, and I hope more terrestrial AM stations pick it up too.

I just checked http://artbell.com/radio-stations/  and it appears to me that the list of stations has grown since I last looked:

Radio Stations
Here are some real terrestrial radio stations that will pick up our show from our Internet stream and broadcast it over the air.

Shortwave:

Tennessee â€" WTWW â€" 5,085 khz

Maine â€" WBCQ â€" 7,490 & 9,330 khz

Toronto â€" CFRX 6,070 khz

Alaska:

Anchorage â€" KOAN 1080 AM / 95.1 FM

California:

Bakersfield â€"  KERN  1180 AM  / 96.1 FM

Fresno â€" KGED 1680 AM (Starting 9/28)

Loma Linda â€" KCAA â€" 1050 AM

Needles â€" KTOX 1340 AM
Kansas:

Kiowa (South Central) â€" KPAK 97.5 FM

Illinois:

Bloomington-Normal â€" WRPW 92.9 FM

Maine:

Monticello â€" WXME 780 AM

Mississippi:

Jackson â€" WYAB 103.9 FM

Nevada:

Pahrump â€" KNYE 95.1 FM

New York:

Amsterdam â€" WCSS 1490 AM

Johnstown â€" WIZR 930 AM / 102.9 FM

St. Johnsville â€" WKAJ â€" 1120 AM

Oklahoma:

Alva, (Northwest) â€" KPAK 97.5 FM

Oregon:

Portland â€" KXL 101.1 FM

Utah:

Salt Lake City â€" KTKK 630 AM

Virgina:

Forest / Lynchburg â€" WIQO 100.9 FM

Shawsville / Roanoke / Blacksburg â€" WBZS 102.5 FM

Gretna / Danville / Smith Mountain Lake â€" WMNA 106.3 FM

Canada:

Toronto, ONT â€" CFRB 1010 AM / CFRX 6,070 khz

If you’re interested in carrying the program on your station, see our Affiliate Terms.
================================

VegasI15

Thanks for the info.  But my gut tells me that 40K, although an awesome number, just seems really low for TuneIn.  I'm betting that 40K was on Art's direct stream.

Meister_000

Quote from: VegasI15 on July 24, 2015, 04:06:24 PM
Thanks for the info.  But my gut tells me that 40K, although an awesome number, just seems really low for TuneIn.  I'm betting that 40K was on Art's direct stream.

You could be right. 40K seemed low to me too, but they said they were getting the stats off some sidebar on TuneIn itself, or and TuneIn's full site, but haven't been able to locate said sidebar yet.

williedee

There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First, TuneIn has no infrastructure for the streaming stations, its simply an easy way to connect to online streams. You'll get the same server whether you go through tunein or just the direct link.

Second, the 40,000 people are referring to on TuneIn is the amount of people following the station. TuneIn doesn't publish numbers of people listening live. Darkmatter has 42,500 "followers" currently http://tunein.com/radio/Dark-Matter-Digital-Network-s211941/

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they release numbers. I am 100% sure that they have a VERY good idea of how many people are streaming, their stream host provides a lot of analytics and data to their customers. Anybody remember the snafu about keeping track of how many people are listening for the music licensing costs? Here's the data that I'm sure they have access to http://www.streamguys.com/statistics/webcastmetrics.php ..

Meister_000

Quote from: williedee on July 24, 2015, 07:13:20 PM
There's a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First, TuneIn has no infrastructure for the streaming stations, its simply an easy way to connect to online streams. You'll get the same server whether you go through tunein or just the direct link.

Ouch!  Thanks for the corrections and links. And I am surprised to learn that.

williedee

Quote from: Meister_000 on July 24, 2015, 09:07:22 PM
Ouch!  Thanks for the corrections and links. And I am surprised to learn that.

Sorry if I came off as rude, I guess I was more tired than I thought! Don't feel bad, all of this stuff is confusing lol.

Jackstar

Quote© StreamGuys Inc. 1999-2015 All Rights Reserved

Meister_000

Quote from: williedee on July 25, 2015, 03:29:29 PM
Sorry if I came off as rude, I guess I was more tired than I thought! Don't feel bad, all of this stuff is confusing lol.

No, you were fine. That was me feeling emabarrassed  for being so wrong, and for missguiding the OP or anyone else.