• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

Quote from: Faustina on May 01, 2016, 10:38:56 PM
I found out it costs to have your show broadcast on KCAA 1050.  A friend of mine inquired how he could get his podcast added to their programming line-up and received the following: 

"Thank you for reaching out to us and for your interest in our services.

KCAA is a pay to play operation. We have a staff that provides a long list of services for our programmers. Our hourly rates ranges from $125 to $250 for one hour weekly programs.

Here is our media kit.

http://www.kcaaradio.com/KCAA_MEDIA_KIT_trial4_.pdf

Here is our network site.

http://www.amfirstradio.com

We promote all our programs on a best efforts basis but we do not barter.

You will need to sell advertising or support the cost of KCAA's services from your operating budget.

We require a 16 week contract with one month paid in advance.

Feel free to call me with any questions. 

Thanks,

Fred Lundgren
ceo of KCAA"

So it is costing Dick between 500 and 1000 dollars a week to broadcast on the station.   I wonder how long he could afford to do that.

He's really hit the big-time, folks!!!

ROTFLMAO!

albrecht

I found out it costs to have your show broadcast on KCAA 1050.  A friend of mine inquired how he could get his podcast added to their programming line-up and received the following: 

"Thank you for reaching out to us and for your interest in our services.

KCAA is a pay to play operation. We have a staff that provides a long list of services for our programmers. Our hourly rates ranges from $125 to $250 for one hour weekly programs.

Here is our media kit.

http://www.kcaaradio.com/KCAA_MEDIA_KIT_trial4_.pdf

Here is our network site.

http://www.amfirstradio.com

We promote all our programs on a best efforts basis but we do not barter.

You will need to sell advertising or support the cost of KCAA's services from your operating budget.

We require a 16 week contract with one month paid in advance.

Feel free to call me with any questions. 

Thanks,

Fred Lundgren
ceo of KCAA"
Yeah, I posted some of this earlier. So if Keith already locked-in maybe RCH still has the slot, assuming he paid and signed that pdf I posted and the "extra hours" of MITD won't be on those KCAA channels? A reason why it was mentioned that she is parsing the new, longer show? I think I saw someone say callers first then guest? Who knows?

zeebo

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2016, 10:44:27 PM
So it is costing Dick between 500 and 1000 dollars a week to broadcast on the station.   I wonder how long he could afford to do that. .....

He's gonna have to start charging open-line callers.  "A buck a minute, folks!"

Quote from: zeebo on May 01, 2016, 10:49:35 PM

I wonder how many subscribers he has.  It really can't be that many, can it?

norland2424

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2016, 10:34:34 PM
Wouldn't it be a blow to Richard if he suddenly was told by KCAA that since Heather is expanding to 5 hours, we have to drop you or you can come on between 2 and 4 AM Pacific?

You know complaints are going to come in from MITD  listeners to the station if the show is suddenly cut off at the 3 hour mark.

lol i doubt anyone is actually listening to MITD on the radio locally at that station. its in the boonies of socal

albrecht

Quote from: zeebo on May 01, 2016, 10:49:35 PM
Call in 976-555-1212...or some of those old international line scams?

I found out it costs to have your show broadcast on KCAA 1050...
..."KCAA is a pay to play operation. We have a staff that provides a long list of services for our programmers. Our hourly rates ranges from $125 to $250 for one hour weekly programs.

....You will need to sell advertising or support the cost of KCAA's services from your operating budget.

Jesus, that's terrible!

Maybe Richard can get around it somehow.

I assumed his split from DMDN was due to money issues. Either he wasn't making enough of it or the network as a whole had been losing too much of it since Art split and couldn't afford him anymore.

If Richard literally has to pay out of pocket to get broadcast on a single pay-to-play radio station, he's done for.

GravitySucks

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2016, 10:53:59 PM
I wonder how many subscribers he has.  It really can't be that many, can it?

As of today, he has none. They cancelled everyone's subscriptions.

Anyone that want so subscribe has to go through his new website and sign up for his "Club 19.5".

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 01, 2016, 11:03:32 PM
As of today, he has none. They cancelled everyone's subscriptions.

Anyone that want so subscribe has to go through his new website and sign up for his "Club 19.5".

Well yeah.  I doubt many will subscribe again.

albrecht

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 01, 2016, 11:06:53 PM
Well yeah.  I doubt many will subscribe again.
Especially if Keith held those records back!

norland2424

Quote from: albrecht on May 01, 2016, 11:11:17 PM
The 19.5 members and their email/Paypal information stuff.

i dont see how that would stop people from rejoining tho? lets face it even if hoagie had that info he wouldnt exactly email them all to resub again.

albrecht

Quote from: norland2424 on May 01, 2016, 11:13:53 PM
i dont see how that would stop people from rejoining tho? lets face it even if hoagie had that info he wouldnt exactly email them all to resub again.
I would? Use your existing business contacts to, at least, remind them you are around? I'm not saying he should bill them (hopefully not.) But remind folks and promote the new show.

What in the wide wide world of sports is Hoagie doing here?  I don't like to think of him putting on a Brave Happy Face as he skips into the abyss...

and pays the freight for the ride down.

What happened to the idea of Hoagie going to Deep Talk Radio Network?  What does KCAA offer again? Tech support?  A big listening audience? Prestige?  I don't see it.

This is wretched.

norland2424

Quote from: albrecht on May 01, 2016, 11:21:45 PM
I would? Use your existing business contacts to, at least, remind them you are around? I'm not saying he should bill them (hopefully not.) But remind folks and promote the new show.

he did remind them during the his last episode on DMRN, its also all on his website.

norland2424

Quote from: Étouffée on May 01, 2016, 11:30:23 PM
What in the wide wide world of sports is Hoagie doing here?  I don't like to think of him putting on a Brave Happy Face as he skips into the abyss...

and pays the freight for the ride down.

What happened to the idea of Hoagie going to Deep Talk Radio Network?  What does KCAA offer again? Tech support?  A big listening audience? Prestige?  I don't see it.

This is wretched.

he really didn't have an option, but on the bright side, this is a real radio station that does its own online stream and uses tunein, not sure if you tuned into his show on Friday, but he had the owner of the station on with him, and he seemed all excited to have hoagie come on board. the only thing that will screw this up is hoagie himself.

Morgus

Quote from: Faustina on May 01, 2016, 10:19:52 PM
Starting tomorrow, his show will be on KCAA 1050AM.  Same schedule.  I thought I heard it streams on TuneIn, but I can't find it on there.  You can stream it live from its website:  http://www.kcaaradio.com/
Just do a search for KCAA on TuneIn, its there.
http://tunein.com/radio/KCAA-1050-s31934/

GravitySucks

It didn't take long for Keith to take down the old website.

GravitySucks

Hoagland is such a dufus. He built his new website and the logo at the top left still says Dark Matter Digital Network.

And I just noticed that their contact page has the old email addresses on them. If Keith took down the old website, I can't imagine he agreed to keep handling their email.

Morgus

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 02, 2016, 01:21:11 AM
Hoagland is such a dufus. He built his new website and the logo at the top left still says Dark Matter Digital Network.

And I just noticed that their contact page has the old email addresses on them. If Keith took down the old website, I can't imagine he agreed to keep handling their email.
yep the new site appears to be just a shell not up to date, even the club 19.5 link goes to the dark matter site...

Quote from: GravitySucks on May 02, 2016, 01:16:53 AM
It didn't take long for Keith to take down the old website.

I wonder if we can buy the domain name.

expat

Not only that, www.enterprisemission.com has gone tits up too. RCH too poor to pay his annual domain name fee?

Funny -- according to whois it's good through Dec 2017.

GravitySucks

Quote from: expat on May 02, 2016, 08:26:53 AM
Not only that, www.enterprisemission.com has gone tits up too. RCH too poor to pay his annual domain name fee?

It would be classic if Gary the Mad Martian gets the domain.

TigerLily

Are we starting a new pool for the last day of osom? Or just rollover the old bets? I would pick July 20, the first anniversary of mitd but I think that might be too optimistic.

triola

"...Our hourly rates ranges from $125 to $250 for one hour..."

So, if Fred Lundgren gives RCH the best rate ($125/hr) and the show goes 2 hrs/day, 5 days/wk, that's $1250/wk.

"...We require a 16 week contract with one month paid in advance..."

$1250/wk x 4/wks would be $5000/mo, up front.

Without advertising and if subs are $5.00/mo, it'll take 1000 subs to carry the monthly airtime overhead.

Yeah, I think it could work for Hoagy with the right marketing and advertising regimen (which has been somewhat lacking).

The 12AM PT time slot is a two-edged sword. One the one hand, it's limiting for call-ins and live listening but on the other hand it could enhance the sub rate due to access to archives for those that can't listen live.

The aggregate listeners (both live and subs) would need to be pitched to advertisers, emphasizing the repeatability of ad-spots in the subscriber archives (a 'bang for the buck' argument).

But first, the listeners have to grow, that's a heavy lift and will take a lot more effort than just 'if it plays, they will come'.