• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 06, 2013, 12:55:28 AM
You can check my posts and see some references to his wife in a joking context --- as well as some criticisms of him marrying again so soon after his wife died, and what his kids from former marriages have publicly stated about their father. No jokes directly aimed at his wife, though.

It's still probably less than 2 percent occurrence overall as far as I can tell. It's hardly the cauldron of slander commonly found on the Internet.

toastycoasty

Quote from: littlechris on November 06, 2013, 12:43:22 AM

GOOD RIDDANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

That's some real fucking guilt-tripping on Art's part. When he first showed up on the forum after going off air, SO MANY people wrote him nice, questioning messages (and I'm sure, pms). There was a hell of a lot of goodwill during Dark Matter - I myself didn't log into the forums that much because you know, I could just put on the latest episode and listen to that for a treat.

Now he's taking the extreme end of the spectrum of insults (understandable in some ways, some people are very angry and of course they will let it out) and conflated it to this. No, if people thought you were truly a useless old man, Art, they wouldn't be agitating as they have on these threads to get you back or get some closure.

If your fans didn't want you, there wouldn't be 900+ people haunting a fan forum trying to get some news.

Pull your finger out. Don't pin your flakiness on us. It might have worked some other time in your life, but right now it doesn't wash.

Now I actually am angry!

midnight

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 06, 2013, 12:51:55 AM
Really? He missed one because of back trouble that was explained online and I don't remember an overwhelmingly negative response.

I do.  The "oh, here we go again" crowd was pretty vocal.  Just too tired tonight to go back and look it up.  I just wish the best for Art and his family.  It seems so stupid this stupid competition thing between the two shows.  There is plenty of room for everyone on the paranormal topic.  I scour youtube and the internet every day for crumbs.  For me, the paranormal is not just something entertaining to listen to.  It's part of my life, and Art was one of the first to at least begin to give it some kind of legitimacy.

The internet is a rough place to be.  I'm not even sure why I'm here typing at 1:00 a.m. except that I wish the best for everyone involved in both the shows.  Who the hell cares who is the "king".  Good grief, we're all still in kindergarten.

Gd5150

Wow, I've been waiting for my flying car since 2005, and now this! Thank God for John B Wells. Lol!

TumbleWeed

Awwww Geeze, someone call the police. If art is getting suicidal he needs the help.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2013, 12:58:23 AM
       It's still probably less than 2 percent occurrence overall as far as I can tell. It's hardly the cauldron of slander commonly found on the Internet.

Well, I think mine were either in the context of him making rash, split decision in his past as a predictor of future behavior, general impulsivity, and, finally, as a prop in a joke --- but, in retrospect, it was either her or one of his cats, and the cat wouldn't have the same comedic punch.

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 06, 2013, 01:01:54 AM
Awwww Geeze, someone call the police. If art is getting suicidal he needs the help.

Can we stop being silly?  He's not suicidal.

Art squandered the goodwill his fans had toward him with one move, so depressing. It wasn't the stream, problems with tech will happen just like poor callers or an interview not going as well as you would like - all of these WILL HAPPEN. The ones that have followed your for years and years, your base, wouldn't give up on you so easily yet you couldn't hang on past six weeks for us despite buying subscriptions and radio equipment eagerly anticipating your return. Pity.

Eddie Coyle

Art is an entertainer. Who chooses not to entertain. So what are we to do with that? Laud accomplishments? Sure. But he shouldn't shine us on.

Up All Night

Quote from: Dont Fear The Reaper on November 01, 2013, 02:11:36 PM
Exactly. They have bent over backwards to accommodate Art so far by making whatever changes he has asked (changing commercial content after listeners were offended, improving audio quality after he asked them to, changing the desktop player's timeout from 90 minutes to 4 hours, etc.), but allowing him to broadcast the show for free has to be considered lunacy from their perspective.

I don't know.... at one time, several years ago, I was able, even as a non-AOL subscriber, to stream some XM stations online for free through an AOL portal. This was not a trail subscription either.

So, Free has done before, in some limited applications.

But, i don't think that Sirius wants to go down any of that road now.

spruce tree

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 06, 2013, 12:50:37 AM
... followed by
Ironic that the issue with streaming came about from pirating the show and not paying for a subscription.

YOU are literally the problem, not this forum as an entity. Wake up.
I keep forgetting how I am not as smart as you guys. That's why I never post anything on here. My iq just isn't high enough to compete. Let me rephrase- If I would have lnown that you only had 50 shows left, and that by spending the fifty bucks for a subscription would make me part of the problem, I would have called art on the first night of dm and warned him about a vaguely loveable band of know-it-alls who were unwittingly set to destroy his show b4 it even got going. I think it is a damn shame and totally ludicrous to give any creedence to what you all had to say on a nightly basis, but he did. Thx again

TumbleWeed

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 06, 2013, 01:03:24 AM
Can we stop being silly?  He's not suicidal.

If he fucking means it, and does it are you going to give a damn?
Depression isnt a fucking joke.

FallenSeraph

Quote from: spruce tree on November 06, 2013, 12:43:47 AM
I didn't say that it was a logical thing to do giving this much responsibility. to a forum, I just said that it appears he did. Many people on here appear to be level headed, smart thinking adults. It's just a shame that this site seemingly ended DM. Again, not saying it makes sense. It just is. The blowhards always ruin everything in life. Oh well. Goodbye. Just saw that art was actually responding to this nonsense, so I figured this was my best shot at getting through to him. Forget these dopes, Art. And again, please reconsider. Your true dark riders are out here waiting for your next move, old friend. If I had known coming into this that I only had 30 shows left to listen to, I wpuld have still paid the fify bucks...

Hi Spruce â€" I appreciate your passion and I'm sad you think this site seemingly ended DM. We're fans over here, but we're not sheep. If Art had a goofy guest like Chimi Chunga or that 12-year-old guy who found UFO wreckage, then yeah, as intellectuals (most of us) who thrive on cool conversations about mind-expanding topics, we're gonna call them out.

And note that I said "them." We never pointed fingers at Art and said, "You SUCK for picking crappy guests!" We were all on this ride with him together. I think as a whole we've been extremely supportive and fiercely protective of the guy. All we've ever done over here was cheer him on. So yeah, a bunch of us are a little grumpy right now. I feel like I've been dumped. And dumped on. But I'm sure I'll get over it.

A lot of us just need to vent right now . . . for what'll probably turn out to be about 300 pages.  :D

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: spruce tree on November 06, 2013, 01:04:37 AM
  That's why I never post anything on here.

And why I keep coming back.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 06, 2013, 01:04:39 AM

Which makes Art's ploys all the more despicable and offensive.

Quote from: spruce tree on November 06, 2013, 01:04:37 AM
I keep forgetting how I am not as smart as you guys. That's why I never post anything on here. My iq just isn't high enough to compete. Let me rephrase- If I would have lnown that you only had 50 shows left, and that by spending the fifty bucks for a subscription would make me part of the problem, I would have called art on the first night of dm and warned him about a vaguely loveable band of know-it-alls who were unwittingly set to destroy his show b4 it even got going. I think it is a damn shame and totally ludicrous to give any creedence to what you all had to say on a nightly basis, but he did. Thx again

If I misread the meaning of your original post and that you DID pay for a subscription then I apologize for throwing that at you.

However I still don't think this forum had much if anything to do with Art's decision.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: morphiaflow on November 06, 2013, 12:57:46 AM
Call me a fool, a shill, a nuthugger, a sycophant, an apologist, whatever. I sincerely don't care. This thread has transcended any sort of rational level of debate and entered into the realm of the shameful.

I can understand confusion, disappointment, frustration, even anger over this situation. I share some of those feelings myself. But rather than wait, give the benefit of the doubt, and be patient--or, God forbid, try to figure out ways that you could *help*--you turned. You turned hard, sharp, dark, and ugly. And every last one of you who did so should be ashamed.

What has happened here in the last 36 hours and 100+ pages goes beyond criticism. It has turned into all-out of sadism directed against the man who nearly everyone on this forum claims to love and respect. It seems as though every one of you who has jumped on the "Fuck Art", "Art Sucks", "I Hate Art", "Art Is Dead To Me" bandwagon is getting some sort of sick, gleeful thrill at slinging the barbs and the shit at the object of their affection--knowing that he is, in fact, paying attention.

It's like you're taking out on Art all the vitriol you have about everything wrong in your lives. And then when he shows that however thick his skin is, he IS capable of being stung--you turn the bile on even MORE?

That says far more about you than it does about him.

Forget what you think of the man's decisions, his character, his thought process. Forget that you DON'T know all or even most of whatever led to this decision. Forget all your accusations, hunches, speculations, assumptions, and "educated" guesses. Forget that he didn't have to return to the radio, or come here, at all. Forget that he has at least made some kind of an effort to reach out and speak up for himself, publicly and privately. Forget all that. For now.

This man has done more in his life than most of us ever will. He made a decision you didn't like, understand or agree with. And while you can be puzzled, disappointed, upset at that decision, how is it that it somehow negates his past accomplishments? Those accomplishments dwarf this situation on a scale that can't be measured. If Art never did another show again, his legacy would still be secure. This is a man who caused a seismic paradigm shift in a major medium and greater influence than anyone can possibly calculate. He's had conversations none of us ever could or will. Do you know what I'd give to have had the chance to talk to George Carlin? To be interviewed by Larry King? How many of you have had those experiences, or comparable ones?

Art is not a perfect human being, unlike, it seems, many of you. Whatever his faults and failings as a person--not that any of you can relate to that, since clearly you are all so perfect that you are free to throw as many stones as you like, without fear of breaking those glass-house-windows--he *is* still a human being. And I don't buy for a second any of this dime-store psychoanalysis about whether he's a sociopath, a psychopath, blah blah fucking blah. He's a human being with thoughts, emotions and motivations, just like anyone else. And he doesn't deserve this. And neither do those who have the temerity to defend him, either.

I'm not going to say I'm "done" with this forum. There are a lot of great people here, and I have nothing but respect for what MV has built. But many of you sure have made this a cold, dark, unfriendly place, and you've taken the joy out of one of the few places online I really felt I could commune with kindred spirits--even when I didn't always like or agree with other posts or posters, there will still a level of respect that's absolutely lacking in this thread.

If I were Art, I wouldn't *want* you in my "base". Whatever he does--or doesn't do--from this point, I stand by him as a fan and listener. If he never returns to radio--and I can't say I'd blame him--then so be it. If he does--and I believe and hope he will--I'll be there.

Either way, he owes me nothing. And he owes YOU nothing, either. And don't bitch about your Sirius subscriptions. Does it suck that a lot of people paid for equipment and services that are probably useless now? Yes. But no one held a gun to anyone's head.

You call Art a sociopath, implying he has no conscience. You call him petulant, saying that he's acting like a child. Well if that's the case, kettles, look in the mirror. Your pots look awfully black to me.

Yeah you guys. For a website which has an alternative url of "GEORGENOORYSUCKS" you're all an awfully childish bunch of imps. I'd expect you to have some class and dignity. You toffy louts.

Falkie2013

Quote from: Agent : Orange on November 06, 2013, 12:57:24 AM
Dark Matter easily reached the heights that he had during the glory days of Coast. Easily. I also didn't see any problems with the callers. From everything we've seen I don't think this had anything to do with Sirius kicking him off. Art said he was "all in" and if the situation wasn't cleared up it was not viable to continue.

Well, I don't know how many shows YOU'Ve listened to but since I listened to them back to 1990, I didn't hear many bad ones.
We had a guest who couldn't adequately describe a supposed UFO crash, another who was taken off the air early because he wouldn't get to the point and kept shilling both his books and his predictions; callers who couldn't get to the point in their ghost stories.
IF $noory had been doing some of the suckage, there'd be no end of discussion about it.
But because it was Art, he gets a free pass when some of his shows clearly sucked on ice.
In the old days, I seldom turned off Art's shows, I turned of $noorys.
In the days of Drunk Matter, I turned off at least 3-5 of them as just plain unlistenable, much like I do with $noory most nights.
You can't go home again and the problem is that most of us thought we could return to those thrilling days of yesteryear and it didn't happen.

He can't even admit he's made a mistake, but he's going to off himself over a thread on a message board?

tertiaryimam

Did art say he was going to off himself somewhere?

HMC

Damn it, as soon as I heard Art quit I knew that George would come out of this smelling like a rose. I guess that's what George is like when he's actively listening. You might want to try it during your job, George. It might make C2C listenable again.

Lastly, Art, people here love you they just hate what you did. Now grew up and be a man. Contracts mean something. The show might not they been exactly what you wanted but you can't improve it if it ceases to exist.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: tertiaryimam on November 06, 2013, 01:08:50 AM

Did art say he was going to off himself somewhere?

No. His manic depressive zombie defenders are projecting their current mental state.

toastycoasty

Quote from: malachi.martini on November 06, 2013, 01:08:01 AM
He can't even admit he's made a mistake, but he's going to off himself over a thread on a message board?

It would be beeyon bleef.

But who knows with Art. He seems very keen on blaming other people for his problems (some, not all).

That doesn't take away from his talents as a radio broadcaster, but I think that this chronic flakiness is his problem to deal with. It's too bad that many fans have been bitterly disappointed by what would've happened all along.  :'(

tertiaryimam

Quote from: HMC on November 06, 2013, 01:09:30 AM
Damn it, as soon as I heard Art quit I knew that George would come out of this smelling like a rose. I guess that's what George is like when he's actively listening. You might want to try it during your job, George. It might make C2C listenable again.

Lastly, Art, people here love you they just hate what you did. Now grew up and be a man. Contracts mean something. The show might not they been exactly what you wanted but you can't improve it if it ceases to exist.

Yeah, why is no one bringing up that he signed a contract? Can one of you bell apologeticists calmly explain to us naysayers why you find his decision justified?

HumanBeing

Quote from: morphiaflow on November 06, 2013, 12:57:46 AM
Call me a fool, a shill, a nuthugger, a sycophant, an apologist, whatever. I sincerely don't care. This thread has transcended any sort of rational level of debate and entered into the realm of the shameful.

I can understand confusion, disappointment, frustration, even anger over this situation. I share some of those feelings myself. But rather than wait, give the benefit of the doubt, and be patient--or, God forbid, try to figure out ways that you could *help*--you turned. You turned hard, sharp, dark, and ugly. And every last one of you who did so should be ashamed.

What has happened here in the last 36 hours and 100+ pages goes beyond criticism. It has turned into all-out of sadism directed against the man who nearly everyone on this forum claims to love and respect. It seems as though every one of you who has jumped on the "Fuck Art", "Art Sucks", "I Hate Art", "Art Is Dead To Me" bandwagon is getting some sort of sick, gleeful thrill at slinging the barbs and the shit at the object of their affection--knowing that he is, in fact, paying attention.

It's like you're taking out on Art all the vitriol you have about everything wrong in your lives. And then when he shows that however thick his skin is, he IS capable of being stung--you turn the bile on even MORE?

That says far more about you than it does about him.

Forget what you think of the man's decisions, his character, his thought process. Forget that you DON'T know all or even most of whatever led to this decision. Forget all your accusations, hunches, speculations, assumptions, and "educated" guesses. Forget that he didn't have to return to the radio, or come here, at all. Forget that he has at least made some kind of an effort to reach out and speak up for himself, publicly and privately. Forget all that. For now.

This man has done more in his life than most of us ever will. He made a decision you didn't like, understand or agree with. And while you can be puzzled, disappointed, upset at that decision, how is it that it somehow negates his past accomplishments? Those accomplishments dwarf this situation on a scale that can't be measured. If Art never did another show again, his legacy would still be secure. This is a man who caused a seismic paradigm shift in a major medium and had greater influence than anyone can possibly calculate. He's had conversations none of us ever could or will. Do you know what I'd give to have had the chance to talk to George Carlin? To be interviewed by Larry King? How many of you have had those experiences, or comparable ones?

Art is not a perfect human being, unlike, it seems, many of you. Whatever his faults and failings as a person--not that any of you can relate to that, since clearly you are all so perfect that you are free to throw as many stones as you like, without fear of breaking those glass-house-windows--he *is* still a human being. And I don't buy for a second any of this dime-store psychoanalysis about whether he's a sociopath, a psychopath, blah blah fucking blah. He's a human being with thoughts, emotions and motivations, just like anyone else. And he doesn't deserve this. And neither do those who have the temerity to defend him, either.

I'm not going to say I'm "done" with this forum. There are a lot of great people here, and I have nothing but respect for what MV has built. But many of you sure have made this a cold, dark, unfriendly place, and you've taken the joy out of one of the few places online I really felt I could commune with kindred spirits--even when I didn't always like or agree with other posts or posters, there will still a level of respect that's absolutely lacking in this thread.

If I were Art, I wouldn't *want* you in my "base". Whatever he does--or doesn't do--from this point, I stand by him as a fan and listener. If he never returns to radio--and I can't say I'd blame him--then so be it. If he does--and I believe and hope he will--I'll be there.

Either way, he owes me nothing. And he owes YOU nothing, either. And don't bitch about your Sirius subscriptions. Does it suck that a lot of people paid for equipment and services that are probably useless now? Yes. But no one held a gun to anyone's head.

You call Art a sociopath, implying he has no conscience. You call him petulant, saying that he's acting like a child. Well if that's the case, kettles, look in the mirror. Your pots look awfully black to me.

Oh shit...

Hi John Hogue!  ;D

TumbleWeed

I can't fucking belive what i'm reading here.

I'm over being angery and sad. Now i'm just disgusted with what i'm reading here.

How the hell do you guys know art wasnt being serious?

Jesus christ this place has hit a new low.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 06, 2013, 01:13:40 AM

I'm over being angery and sad. Now i'm just disgusted with what i'm reading here.

Sadly, I KNOW you're serious.  ;D

Heather Wade

Right on Morphiaflow.  You said it.

George Drooly

Quote from: TumbleWeed on November 06, 2013, 01:13:40 AM

Jesus christ this place has hit a new low.

Even if Art did off himself, he'd change his mind and come back... only to do it all over again

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on November 06, 2013, 01:09:54 AM
      No. His manic depressive zombie defenders are projecting their current mental state.

Well, see, that makes it all the more obvious that as a public entertainer he should have some self-discipline. It's like Kurt Cobain or Miley Cyrus or Bing Crosby --- if you're an entertainer bringing millions of people entertainment, tone down the goddamn bad decisions because there's a lot of people who'll be given a bad day or two by it, at the very least.

Jess sayin'.