• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell Quits Dark Matter

Started by DesertFox, November 01, 2013, 08:13:24 AM

Lt.Uhura

Reading between the lines of Art's cryptic message makes me wonder if he is still in negotiations with SXM.  After all, even if he's not currently doing his show he's still under contract with them.  All these streaming services (Sirius XM, Netflix, etc) would be wise to change their subscription options every so often in keeping up with the rapidly changing tech world.  Sirius' growth is stagnant, their car subscribers are bailing out for cheaper, or even free options elsewhere.  If they steadfastly stick to their expensive 'all or nothing' options, they'll be out of business within a year.  In spite of you naysayers here, Art's suggestion to offer Dark Matter for free is not as far-fetched as it may seem.  Everybody likes >FREE< services, and smart businesses will always find a way to capitalize on it.  Surely by now people have told them how dreadful Noory's C2C is. 

...So--they replace C2C with Art Bell's Dark Matter--including commercials, and stream it for free, either through AB's website or secondary sites like TuneIn...SXM makes $$ from the commercials, AND the exposure to their brand via Art's FREE show! 
Win/Win
Happy New Year!

FallenSeraph

What does it meeeeeeeeeean??????

[attachimg=1]

He also posted this one:

[attachimg=2]

(Some of the comments - laugh.)

Quote from: Seraphim27 on January 01, 2014, 02:06:44 AM

[attachimg=1]

He also posted this one:

[attachimg=2]

First post, I'd say Art is having a laugh at the expense of his former employer.
Second post, I'd say Art might be having some regrets about how things ended.
Beyond that, I don't read very much into what Art posts on FB.

Quote from: Lt.Uhura on January 01, 2014, 12:52:43 AM
Reading between the lines of Art's cryptic message makes me wonder if he is still in negotiations with SXM.  After all, even if he's not currently doing his show he's still under contract with them.  All these streaming services (Sirius XM, Netflix, etc) would be wise to change their subscription options every so often in keeping up with the rapidly changing tech world.  Sirius' growth is stagnant, their car subscribers are bailing out for cheaper, or even free options elsewhere.  If they steadfastly stick to their expensive 'all or nothing' options, they'll be out of business within a year.  In spite of you naysayers here, Art's suggestion to offer Dark Matter for free is not as far-fetched as it may seem.  Everybody likes >FREE< services, and smart businesses will always find a way to capitalize on it.  Surely by now people have told them how dreadful Noory's C2C is. 

...So--they replace C2C with Art Bell's Dark Matter--including commercials, and stream it for free, either through AB's website or secondary sites like TuneIn...SXM makes $$ from the commercials, AND the exposure to their brand via Art's FREE show! 
Win/Win
Happy New Year!

Die hard the faithful. You wouldn't be participating in that 420 celebration in Colorado, would you?

Lt.Uhura

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on January 01, 2014, 02:27:44 AM
Die hard the faithful. You wouldn't be participating in that 420 celebration in Colorado, would you?

Haha TheGrimCreeper1...I'm hardly an obsessed AB fan.  Just looking for some good talk radio on paranormal and science by an experienced and talented host.  I like Art Bell and look forward to his return.  And where I come from it's partly sunny and my glass is half full :^)

jazmunda

[attachimg=1]

He also posted this one:

[attachimg=2]

I like the last comment on the predictions that Art will still not be broadcasting this year.

DING, DING, DING!

HaveAccess

QuoteReading between the lines of Art's cryptic message makes me wonder if he is still in negotiations with SXM.  After all, even if he's not currently doing his show he's still under contract with them.  All these streaming services (Sirius XM, Netflix, etc) would be wise to change their subscription options every so often in keeping up with the rapidly changing tech world.  Sirius' growth is stagnant, their car subscribers are bailing out for cheaper, or even free options elsewhere.  If they steadfastly stick to their expensive 'all or nothing' options, they'll be out of business within a year.  In spite of you naysayers here, Art's suggestion to offer Dark Matter for free is not as far-fetched as it may seem.  Everybody likes >FREE< services, and smart businesses will always find a way to capitalize on it.  Surely by now people have told them how dreadful Noory's C2C is. 

Win/Win
Happy New Year!

Lt. Uhura...Always in game and on target...

Art may or may not be in negotiations.
But SXM  does  have a problem...

The choice of SXM as a business partner was poor...
The choice of the resulting "business model" was poor...
Art got some bad advice...
The trade off for mass distribution, an instant audience, is always artistic shackel...
That is a trade off Art in the last analysis will never accept...
Better to start, totally independent,  very small,  and grow exponentially...
Art needs no turnkey.

DMRN is wandering in the desert.
Even if it does offer 3 different players...
Its not achieving its purpose.
It walks about in circles lacking the compass of vision.

dan7800

I would not read into anything. Doesn't mean a thing.

I woke up at 5am and couldn't sleep. For the 1st time since he quit, I listened to an old art show from a stream  the show was from June 2001. Art was warning about keeping ourselves ready and reminded us of perk harbor. What a quality show. Sad he is done for good.

Lt.Uhura

HaveAccess, I completely agree that SXM was a poor choice for a business partner.  Indeed Art would have been better off to go it alone via an independent network befitting his maverick nature.  Still, we've all made poor choices at times in both our professional and personal lives.  Human nature.

It's a new year, time moves on...And as much as I don't like Sirius XM's corporate model either, if they insist on holding Art to his contract, why not meet and work out a compromise (without compromising content of course).  Like a divorced couple forced to live with one another due to financial restrictions--make the best of a bad situation, then move on.

McPhallus

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on January 01, 2014, 02:27:44 AM

As long as  Art lives and breathes, some people will never let go.

McPhallus

Quote from: HaveAccess on January 01, 2014, 08:41:54 AM
DMRN is wandering in the desert.
Even if it does offer 3 different players...
Its not achieving its purpose.
It walks about in circles lacking the compass of vision.

It was a bone thrown to fans to get them off his back after the Sirius fiasco.  He already went through the obligatory saber-rattling, but there was never any conviction behind it. Now that the sound and fury is over, Art has resumed his life as a retiree and likely regrets he ever came back at all.

That being said, the DMRN is actually one of the better paranormal networks out there, even though it was thrown together in a relatively short time.  I'd say it's better overall than Para-x and para mania, with somewhat better content.

So... there is a Celebrity Deaths thread... (We've got that going for us...which is nice).

coaster

Quote from: errc on January 02, 2014, 05:40:31 PM

goodnight fresh prince
Those stupid memes where you switch names went out over five years ago. No longer funny.

area51drone

Quote from: coaster on January 03, 2014, 06:32:17 AM
Those stupid memes where you switch names went out over five years ago. No longer funny.
Was it ever funny in the first place?

area51drone

Quote from: tertiaryimam on January 01, 2014, 09:56:50 AM
[attachimg=1]

And I'm sorry, but I don't get this either.   Did Stanton Friedman say that Art wasn't as good as Noory?

tertiaryimam

Quote from: area51drone on January 03, 2014, 07:40:02 AM
And I'm sorry, but I don't get this either.   Did Stanton Friedman say that Art wasn't as good as Noory?

No are51drone, Stanton Friedman never said it.

Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

[attachimg=1]

klaatu

Scientists look to interwebs for time travel evidence:

http://www.infowars.com/scientists-look-for-evidence-of-time-travelers-on-the-internet/

Maybe not the best place.  At least it keeps the thread going...or not.

Quote from: TheGrimCreeper1 on January 01, 2014, 02:24:28 AM
First post, I'd say Art is having a laugh at the expense of his former employer.
Second post, I'd say Art might be having some regrets about how things ended.
Beyond that, I don't read very much into what Art posts on FB.

All enthusiasm for deciphering secret messages and obtuse announcements has completely evaporated for me. Art had a great build up to the announcement of dark matter with the videos, hidden links and eventually the countdown clock. Waiting to see what would happen or what significance these things had was a lot of fun, and the anticipation of what was coming was like viral marketing, with everyone gathering here to mull over the latest trickle of new data. There was a sense that Art had turned an important corner and was really moving on. It was a great start that got the old fans really riled up.

When I think of all of that starting again it's a real let down, as if that were a magic trick that would only work once. I have zero interest in trying to read into cryptic facebook posts, and this time I feel like I'd rather wait until the joke has been told to find out what the punchline is.

I remember seeing a countdown to Art's non-compete being up somewhere online (I forget where now) but I suspect that we'll move right through that date without much ado. If Art shows up on the DM radio network unannounced it would be really cool and I would definitely listen. But after the 2013 debacle I have to ask myself if it's realistic at all. I see that Art was last active on November 26 2013, so I'm guessing that now all of this is over his interest in us has dropped off as well. For a guy who was about to make an imminent return after the NC finishes he doesn't seem to be interested in keeping our anticipation up.   

Sorry for the ramble but the screen grabs of facebook reminded me of "the good ole days" of July - November 2013. ;)

MikeJ

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 04, 2014, 01:44:10 AM
All enthusiasm for deciphering secret messages and obtuse announcements has completely evaporated for me. Art had a great build up to the announcement of dark matter with the videos, hidden links and eventually the countdown clock. Waiting to see what would happen or what significance these things had was a lot of fun, and the anticipation of what was coming was like viral marketing, with everyone gathering here to mull over the latest trickle of new data. There was a sense that Art had turned an important corner and was really moving on. It was a great start that got the old fans really riled up.

When I think of all of that starting again it's a real let down, as if that were a magic trick that would only work once. I have zero interest in trying to read into cryptic facebook posts, and this time I feel like I'd rather wait until the joke has been told to find out what the punchline is.

I remember seeing a countdown to Art's non-compete being up somewhere online (I forget where now) but I suspect that we'll move right through that date without much ado. If Art shows up on the DM radio network unannounced it would be really cool and I would definitely listen. But after the 2013 debacle I have to ask myself if it's realistic at all. I see that Art was last active on November 26 2013, so I'm guessing that now all of this is over his interest in us has dropped off as well. For a guy who was about to make an imminent return after the NC finishes he doesn't seem to be interested in keeping our anticipation up.   

Sorry for the ramble but the screen grabs of facebook reminded me of "the good ole days" of July - November 2013. ;)

True.  If he comes back, I'll probably listen, but I couldn't care less about his posts until he is.  Been there, done that.

MikeJ

In the same vein, would it be possible to go back to "Coastgab" as the web address?  The "Bellgab" title is no longer relevant and may still be feeding his inflated ego.

Quote from: MikeJ on January 04, 2014, 04:09:01 PM
In the same vein, would it be possible to go back to "Coastgab" as the web address?  The "Bellgab" title is no longer relevant and may still be feeding his inflated ego.
I say keep the name until after the NC is finished, and maybe even after that. Art did a lot of advertising for bellgab through his show and maybe that will keep on attracting people.

If the name has to change, I would not want to see it revert back to coastgab, since most of us are finished with C2C as well. Hopefully there would be some new direction MV could go in. AMgab? Podgab? There's got to be something.

Quote from: Agent : Orange on January 04, 2014, 04:47:39 PM
I say keep the name until after the NC is finished, and maybe even after that. Art did a lot of advertising for bellgab through his show and maybe that will keep on attracting people.

If the name has to change, I would not want to see it revert back to coastgab, since most of us are finished with C2C as well. Hopefully there would be some new direction MV could go in. AMgab? Podgab? There's got to be something.

GeorgeNoorySucks is fine and dandy.

Pam J

It took me 8 years to get over Art Bell leaving the airwaves.  His brief return has saddened me and returned me to that first year of disbelief.  I just don't see the 'why' for either of these retirements.  I guess he doesn't realize how loved he was and how if he'd stayed on even once a week it would have made a difference.  He must not know he makes a difference because if he did then it would merely mean he doesn't care and I can't accept that even though I've rum out of all imagination.

tertiaryimam

Quote from: Pam J on January 05, 2014, 12:33:22 AM
It took me 8 years to get over Art Bell leaving the airwaves.  His brief return has saddened me and returned me to that first year of disbelief.  I just don't see the 'why' for either of these retirements.  I guess he doesn't realize how loved he was and how if he'd stayed on even once a week it would have made a difference.  He must not know he makes a difference because if he did then it would merely mean he doesn't care and I can't accept that even though I've rum out of all imagination.

Yeah, Pam Ji. These thoughts are, in many respects, my thoughts too.

Art Bell is something that won't happen again. He hit us like a wrecking ball. Now wild horses have dragged him away. . .

"wild horses" covered by Bush

[attachimg=1]