• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

A Sample of My Writing

Started by Marc.Knight, February 11, 2013, 12:41:38 PM

Marc.Knight

Hi.  I'd love to read a sample of your writing.  Anyone else a writer here?  Please share excerpts if you wish.  It would be great to read the work of talent that resides in CoastGab.  Teasers...abstracts...synopses... doesn't have to be about C2C.  Capture our imagination.

Dex

I was caught in his gaze from across the room.  His deep blue eyes pierced me with the feel of cold metal.  I pretended not to notice as I sipped from my cool cocktail, the stem of the glass warming my ice cold hand.  He was taking it all in and could smell the fear.  I turned towards the fireplace my back to him switching the glass to my right hand to warm my left above the flames.  I could sense the intensity of his watching my movements as he moved with me through his vision.  He was visually running his hand over my hip and then my buttock till he was kneeling, his hand finishing the long stroke down the seam of my stocking and over the heel of my black stiletto.

As I reached up slightly to lower my glass to the mantle I felt a cool breath on the nape of my neck.  He was behind me and I dared not move my arm now resting against the ledge.  Placing his hands upon the ledge with his arms around me he whispered, "I picked you."  I froze and waited holding my breath.  "Out of all the women in the world, I've chosen you."  My head felt light and I began to grow weak, my legs feeling shaky.  He ran his hand over my left hip and pulled me slowly around supporting me as he did so by stepping up against me.  As I turned towards him our eyes meeting and my hair brushing over his face I fell against him.  He sighed deeply and very near my cheek with his lips he told me to...

Dex

Well alrighty then. What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral?  Anybody?  No googling allowed, it's quite easy  :o

WickedGame

Quote from: Dex on February 12, 2013, 12:34:29 AM
I was caught in his gaze from across the room.  His deep blue eyes pierced me with the feel of cold metal.  I pretended not to notice as I sipped from my cool cocktail, the stem of the glass warming my ice cold hand.  He was taking it all in and could smell the fear.  I turned towards the fireplace my back to him switching the glass to my right hand to warm my left above the flames.  I could sense the intensity of his watching my movements as he moved with me through his vision.  He was visually running his hand over my hip and then my buttock till he was kneeling, his hand finishing the long stroke down the seam of my stocking and over the heel of my black stiletto.

As I reached up slightly to lower my glass to the mantle I felt a cool breath on the nape of my neck.  He was behind me and I dared not move my arm now resting against the ledge.  Placing his hands upon the ledge with his arms around me he whispered, "I picked you."  I froze and waited holding my breath.  "Out of all the women in the world, I've chosen you."  My head felt light and I began to grow weak, my legs feeling shaky.  He ran his hand over my left hip and pulled me slowly around supporting me as he did so by stepping up against me.  As I turned towards him our eyes meeting and my hair brushing over his face I fell against him.  He sighed deeply and very near my cheek with his lips he told me to...

WoW. I'm intrigued.  Can you keep going.  I love tight skirts and seams.  What color hair?  Say a red head, which I am.  I love to dress up.  She is clearly dressed and at a cocktail party, but he is the mystery.  Is he a vampire?

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: Dex on February 12, 2013, 12:57:55 AM
Well alrighty then. What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral?  Anybody?  No googling allowed, it's quite easy  :o

One fewer at the wake.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: WickedGame on February 12, 2013, 02:13:47 AM
WoW. I'm intrigued.  Can you keep going.  I love tight skirts and seams.  What color hair?  Say a red head, which I am.  I love to dress up.  She is clearly dressed and at a cocktail party, but he is the mystery.  Is he a vampire?

Now, there's a question.... I'm guessing she's a redhead. And mischievous, she needs taking in hand. What say you?

ponyboysunset

The Legend of Jesse Derrick

Jesse Derrick stood at the edge of the grass in her backyard. She closed one eye, and stared into the sight of her gun. The empty bottles of McDaniels whiskey sat on a fence, which was a few hundred yards away. They gleamed in the pale moon light. She fired six shots into the night, and smiled. She knew she had hit them, even before she heard it. Fifteen years of shooting a gun in her back yard told her that. Back then target practice was something she did on a Saturday night for fun. Now it was something she did for survival. After the zombie attack of  2013, her target practice was more habitual. At least once a day she stood where she was standing now, along the lush green of her manicured lawn, where the concrete of her driveway met the grass. She varied the distances, as well as the types of bottles she used for targets. Those fuckers were not getting her ass, at least not on the account of her being a bad shot.
   She adjusted the brim of her black cowboy hat, leaned down, grabbed her glass of Sangria, and took a swig. She felt her phone vibrate in the pocket of her skirt, and pulled it out. She looked down at the name. It was Susanna. She pulled one orange headphone out of her ear, temporarily interrupting the lonesome cries of Hank Williams, and answered.
   â€œHello Darlin'. What's up?” She glanced around her, it was close to the time of night they would appear, if they were coming. “Yeah, I can come up to the Saloon for a bit. Just doing a b it of target practice. See you in ten.” She hung up. Out of the corner of her left eye she caught the movement. It was slow, they were always slow. Jesse's yard was next to an abandoned tool and die shop. There were several rusted out trucks, and a few trailers. Their silver cast a glow from the remaining street lights. Off to the left, behind one of the old semi trailers was the shadow of a man. Or what used to be a man......

Excerpt from a story of mine, which turned into a novel. I have about 60 pages or so. I am also working on some vampire stuff too, but not in any traditional sense. As in something silly, like a vampire soccer mom. Lol...Enjoy..

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Dex on February 12, 2013, 12:34:29 AM

This is a great set up. Pulls the reader in. Keep going, and keep posting :)

CrabbyOld Bat

Nice work, Dex and pony!

Now where's your sample, Marc?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 12, 2013, 05:14:03 PM
The Legend of Jesse Derrick

Jesse Derrick stood at the edge of the grass in her backyard. She closed one eye, and stared into the sight of her gun. The empty bottles of McDaniels whiskey sat on a fence, which was a few hundred yards away. They gleamed in the pale moon light. She fired six shots into the night, and smiled. She knew she had hit them, even before she heard it. Fifteen years of shooting a gun in her back yard told her that. Back then target practice was something she did on a Saturday night for fun. Now it was something she did for survival. After the zombie attack of  2013, her target practice was more habitual. At least once a day she stood where she was standing now, along the lush green of her manicured lawn, where the concrete of her driveway met the grass. She varied the distances, as well as the types of bottles she used for targets. Those fuckers were not getting her ass, at least not on the account of her being a bad shot.
   She adjusted the brim of her black cowboy hat, leaned down, grabbed her glass of Sangria, and took a swig. She felt her phone vibrate in the pocket of her skirt, and pulled it out. She looked down at the name. It was Susanna. She pulled one orange headphone out of her ear, temporarily interrupting the lonesome cries of Hank Williams, and answered.
   â€œHello Darlin'. What's up?” She glanced around her, it was close to the time of night they would appear, if they were coming. “Yeah, I can come up to the Saloon for a bit. Just doing a b it of target practice. See you in ten.” She hung up. Out of the corner of her left eye she caught the movement. It was slow, they were always slow. Jesse's yard was next to an abandoned tool and die shop. There were several rusted out trucks, and a few trailers. Their silver cast a glow from the remaining street lights. Off to the left, behind one of the old semi trailers was the shadow of a man. Or what used to be a man......

Excerpt from a story of mine, which turned into a novel. I have about 60 pages or so. I am also working on some vampire stuff too, but not in any traditional sense. As in something silly, like a vampire soccer mom. Lol...Enjoy..

I really like the flow, the cadence so to speak.  We need to see more!

ponyboysunset

Thanks to all:-)  Will post a bit more tomorrow at lunch. Bring on the creativity! The more the merrier!

ponyboysunset

Sorry I am a day late with more writing. Anyway, this happens later in the story. Enjoy. Pondering putting my story up on the net somewhere everyone can read it. It's copyrighted and what not.

[size=78%]           [/size][size=78%]Jesse tightened the strap on her hat, crouched down and grabbed onto the gun rack which was mounted right above the window. The truck raced towards a lone figure who was visible as an outline[/size][size=78%]  [/size][size=78%]in the moonlight. Jesse's heart began to pound, with one hand she reached into the messenger bag which was slung over her shoulder and caressed the fuzzy, orange blanket inside of it. Her blanket went on all missions, and whenever she felt like she might actually die, she reached inside her bag and touched it. Right at that moment, she was gripping the heck out of it. She had never seen anything move that fast.[/size]

Jane pulled the truck up next to Billy. He grinned at her.
            “WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMILIN' AT?” Jane yelled loud enough for Jesse to hear over the roar of the truck. She watched, stunned, as Billy leapt straight up into the air, he was going to try  and jump into the back of the truck.
             â€œJESS, LOOK OUT!” Just as Jane finished her sentence, Billy grabbed the tailgate of the truck with such force that it knocked Jesse onto her back.
            “Oh, he's gonna pay for that.” She aimed her guns, fired, and missed. Billy smiled, he let out a howl, which sounded like a cross between a wolf and a dying cow. Jesse continued to shoot at him, and continued to miss. He pulled himself into the bed of the truck. For having just undergone transformation he looked pretty good. His skin was grey, and the flesh had withered taunt against his bones. He grinned at her, revealing a row of pointed yellow teeth.
            “You got the number of that dentist? 'Cause you're gonna need it when I get done with you.” She aimed the gun at him, but before she could fire, he knocked it out of her hand, and pinned her to the back of the cab. She kicked him in the balls, hoping he would collapse into a heap on the bed of the truck. To her shock and utter horror she felt something poking her in the stomach instead. Billy opened his mouth, and Jesse watched the long strand of saliva drip out of it. She struggled against him. Making out with a zombie was not on her list of things to do before she died.
            “Um, that didn't happen when you were alive, and it ain't happenin' now!” Jesse tried to push him off of her. Susanna, from inside of the truck, grabbed a knife, stretched her arm out the window, and stabbed Billy in the foot. He let out a yelp, clutched his foot, and let go of Jesse's hands. She smashed the butt of her gun into his yellow stained fangs. Billy grabbed her ankle, knocking her violently to the cold, steel bed. He wasn't going down without a fight. She needed a plan. Jesse, remembering the gas can she kept in the bed of her truck, started to grasp for it wildly. She was able to reach it on the second try,  and dumped  it all over the fiend's head. He grabbed his eyes, and with both feet she knocked him to the back of the truck. She aimed, and pulled the trigger. She took the matches from the pocket of her skirt and lit one. She flicked the match onto him, and he burst into flames. He managed to grab one of Jesse's feet, and started to pull her towards the back.
            Jane and Susanna both turned around to look. Jesse couldn't believe he was still fighting. She twisted her leg, trying to free it from his grasp.
            “Susanna, shoot him! We gotta get him out of the truck before the whole things goes up!” Susanna, remembering to take the safety off, took her shotgun, rolled down her window, and leaned out, aiming the gun towards the back. Billy was a target even she couldn't miss, with orange flames shooting from the top of his skull. She opened fire. The force of the shot hit knocked him off the truck, and he went tumbling into the night, a flaming ball of zombie guts.
            “Hey nice shot! I woulda got him eventually!” Jesse watched as Billy changed colors while he continued to burned. He started out bright blue, and faded into an orange ember. For a moment, she wondered if he would stay down.
             â€œYou all right Jess?” Jane called from inside the truck.
            “Are you kiddin'? That was great! Just the way I like to start my nights off, with some fresh zombie barbeque."

ponyboysunset

Sample of my vampire story

[size=78%]Nikki adjusted the top, it was half top and half corset really, and she was elated she had discovered it in the back of her closet. She was amazed it still fit, she hadn't been in it for 20 years, yet here it was, hugging her body the way it did when she was 17. Coupled with the black skirt and heels, she barely recognized herself. The dark eye shadow and temporary black hair dye completed the transition. Nikki's long, dark hair hung down to the middle of her back in waves. A stranger stared back at her in the mirror. [/size][size=78%]Just a means to an[/size][size=78%]end, she reminded herself. She had to feed, didn't she? She hadn't exactly chosen to become a vampire, but facts were facts, her 3 kids needed their mother, and without feeding, there was no way that was possible. Besides, picking off a few of those annoying Emo kids, who were ruining Detroit's goth scene, was really doing everyone a favor.[/size]
It had been a little over a year since Nikki was bitten, and the attacker had not intended on her surviving. Fucking Josh, she thought, as she snarled at her reflection in the mirror, running her tongue along her fangs, which were re-tractable, very similar to cat claws. Fucking Josh, and his whole, I need help with my paper bit. I should have known, only in a Victorian Literature class would I pick the one kid who was actually one of the undead. She had heard rumors that such foolishness was going on at school, but refused to believe it. Zombies seemed way more likely, but apparently there had been a recent rise in the numbers of dead bodies on campus. All of them, just happened to have their blood removed through two tiny holes in the throat. She never saw Josh coming. Just like he never saw me coming, she smiled, remembering the delicious sweetness of his blood, he had just fed when she had killed him. And really, she thought, am I unhappy? She had managed to hide the truth from her family, blaming her aversion to the sun on her developing illness, to all the chemotherapy she had started. Prior to Josh deciding to feed on her, Nikki, at 37,  had the unfortunate luck of being diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  The doctors had removed all that they could, but the cancer had already started to spread to her other organs.
“He did you a favor.” She said aloud, not intending to, and sorry as soon as she did.
“Who did you a favor, Momma?” Nikki looked down and saw Jenny, her 8 year old, staring up at her. Her daughter was a younger version of her husband, more than herself. It's as if his blue eyes were plucked from his head, and put into this female version of him, she thought.
“Oh, just a friend of mine from school. He helped me with a project.” She ran the deep red lipstick across her lips, then carefully blotted them with a tissue.
“You look scary Momma. Like on Halloween when we get to dress up for school. Is this a Halloween party?”
“Sort of. Jenny, where is Katie?” Nikki was growing impatient, she was starving. She allowed herself to hunt once a week for human blood. The rest of the days she managed to get by either on pig or cow's blood, which ever was on sale. Goat's blood seemed a bit too cliche, and harder to come by. She discovered people asked questions when trying to purchase goat's blood, so she had stuck to the basics. Microwaved, animal blood offered a similar warmth, and consistency, without all the guilt. In her previous life, coffee had been necessary to start her day, now, she required a different beverage. But nothing compared to fresh blood, and tonight, she wouldn't be microwaving anything.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: ponyboysunset on February 15, 2013, 12:04:58 PM
Sorry I am a day late with more writing. Anyway, this happens later in the story. Enjoy. Pondering putting my story up on the net somewhere everyone can read it. It's copyrighted and what not.

Good idea.

ponyboysunset

Quote from: Marc knight on February 20, 2013, 08:26:56 AM

Good idea.

Either that or start emailing it to people who want to read it. But then you would all know who I am...wait, you could google and find out anyway. lol...the pseudo name is just a formality, and my real name is so unique I just don't give it out..thanks for starting this thread. :)