• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Does GN Still Have Tantrums that Threaten Libel Suits?

Started by EvB, August 10, 2008, 12:27:16 PM

EvB

I know he did - are recently as a year ago.  Dunno specifically over what. 

Libel, Defamation, Calumny etc... are not that easy to prove.  I AM NOT A LAWYER. I had to take three (hardly law degree material) law classes for my degree in technical communications - mostly related to publication and specifically the internet - and focused more on contract and copyright than issues like libel.   

I can say three things that I'm pretty sure hold true:

TRUTH is a defense against libel. Always.

OPINION is - in most cases - not subject to charges of libel - though depending upon its impact could be defamation.

With rare exception, ENTERTAINMENT publications are not subject to libel suits (which is how rags like the National Enquirer get away with all they do).  The most famous exception concerning this rag was the Carole Burnett case from about 20 years ago.  Burnett's mother had just died, and NE said some pretty nasty stuff about her family in general. Burnett's lawyers won - the settlement was $1.  In fact, Burnett wasn't looking for money anyway. She was looking for a statment about social limits - and she got what she was looking for.  She was (and in many ways still is) a well-beloved public figure and under the circumstances - NE's article HURT and HURT BAD.

Which brings us to the related issue of False light.  It is possible to take a true statement, or state an opinion, in a context which is mentally or emotionally damaging (BIG TIME - not just hurt feelings) to the plaintiff.  Cause enough damage and yes - you have broken civil - though I don't believe criminal - law. I think that's the leg Art stood on when he got the nastier sites suggesting he had done Ramona in taken down.

Ramona Bell had severe asthma.  Both she and Art smoked.  One night she had an attack that she could not get under control.  Sad, but no surprise! Making more of it than that takes a really mean spirit and a dull  mind.

WHEW!  All that to ask - does anyone know if George is still crying into his beer?

http://www.medialaw.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Public_Resources/Libel_FAQs/Libel_FAQs.htmhttp://www.cadenhead.org/workbench/news/3042/art-bell-threatens-lawsuit-over-weblog