FUNCTION RANDOM - All Things Technological On Your Mind

Started by Camazotz Automat, August 17, 2012, 05:04:35 AM

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Mind Flayer Monk

The only thing that really annoys me is how easy it is to select two files in a folder since many times one file is selected, but not visible.
I've had a few times when I meant to delete one file, but deleted two files, with some other that had been selected. Might be a shitty line of code in their getFocus()

zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 21, 2014, 02:25:05 AM
I've got the up arrow just to the left of the address bar.

Really, in Win 7?  Or do you mean the Back arrow?  Hmm.

Quote from: area51drone on June 21, 2014, 12:09:21 PM
Each directory can be clicked on to move around. Once you realize, it's actually much better than the folder.

Ok yes I agree, in that I've come to like the clickable folders within the hierarchy, ... but sometimes I just wanna generically go up 1 level.  I just do!  I mean they have room to waste with that lame "Organize | Include in Lib | Share with ..." bar, but they have to go cast my innocent little up arrow into the cornfield? 

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: zeebo on June 21, 2014, 09:58:37 PM
Really, in Win 7?  Or do you mean the Back arrow?  Hmm.

I'm on 8.1 most of the time. screenshot attached


zeebo

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 21, 2014, 10:54:17 PM
I'm on 8.1 most of the time. screenshot attached

Dude that's the first positive thing I've seen about Win 8!  There is hope!

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: zeebo on June 21, 2014, 11:46:52 PM
Dude that's the first positive thing I've seen about Win 8!  There is hope!

The search feature is really good too. I didn't like clicking on the start menu and then searching for a program. Far easier to just hit the "window" button and type the first few letters of the name of the software.

Mind Flayer Monk

Whatt??? I better start learning how to program for this thing.

"New Type Of Computer Capable Of Calculating 640TBs Of Data In One Billionth
Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-type-computer-capable-calculating-640tbs-data-one-billionth-second-could#xhz4dBC8JXKCkMRt.99"



area51drone

I guess Dropbox doesn't like it when you share your porn collection?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: area51drone on June 25, 2014, 10:56:10 AM
I guess Dropbox doesn't like it when you share your porn collection?

i would never share my porn collection.  it's only for meee.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 21, 2014, 10:54:17 PM
I'm on 8.1 most of the time. screenshot attached
So I'm not saying that I demand to use DOS but in the new version of windows (8.1) is there a way to at least limit the whole "experience" to make it at least like an XP menus (no no floating boxes everywhere, stupid avatar "helpers", "live" windows, and all that non-sense?) I much prefer lists of things and reading or using a keyboard/mouse than touch screen or looking at "live" objects changing shapes when I just want to open a file. Got a get a new computer soon and I reckon I will be stuck with some MS product. Also don't like automatic "cloud back-ups" or even automatic backup on the same harddrive "restore points" (doesn't make sense to me and eats memory) like all these new systems seem to want you to use.

Mind Flayer Monk

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2014, 04:14:13 PM
So I'm not saying that I demand to use DOS but in the new version of windows (8.1) is there a way to at least limit the whole "experience" to make it at least like an XP menus (no no floating boxes everywhere, stupid avatar "helpers", "live" windows, and all that non-sense?) I much prefer lists of things and reading or using a keyboard/mouse than touch screen or looking at "live" objects changing shapes when I just want to open a file. Got a get a new computer soon and I reckon I will be stuck with some MS product. Also don't like automatic "cloud back-ups" or even automatic backup on the same harddrive "restore points" (doesn't make sense to me and eats memory) like all these new systems seem to want you to use.

I know there is an option that lets you install the desktop as the default environment. But this option has to be chosen at setup. I will look into how you can switch to it post-setup since you will probably be buying preinstalled 8.1.

I think the start menu is gone for now, but there are 3rd party addons. And as always you can hit the window key and just type stuff on the tile screen and it will search for it for you. But I understand people like the start menu.

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on June 25, 2014, 05:16:47 PM
I know there is an option that lets you install the desktop as the default environment. But this option has to be chosen at setup. I will look into how you can switch to it post-setup since you will probably be buying preinstalled 8.1.

I think the start menu is gone for now, but there are 3rd party addons. And as always you can hit the window key and just type stuff on the tile screen and it will search for it for you. But I understand people like the start menu.
Thanks. No hurry or don't make any effort on my account. I know it is silly, maybe, because memory etc is so darn cheap but I don't understand the need to make everything graphic and "moving" and odd automations and frills to do simple things (what I want a computer to do: open a document, look at list of documents, open a browser, burn a DVD, use Excel, etc.)

wr250

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2014, 05:45:51 PM
Thanks. No hurry or don't make any effort on my account. I know it is silly, maybe, because memory etc is so darn cheap but I don't understand the need to make everything graphic and "moving" and odd automations and frills to do simple things (what I want a computer to do: open a document, look at list of documents, open a browser, burn a DVD, use Excel, etc.)

its all eye candy.there is nothing more to it than that.


Catsmile

Speaking of eye candy, and cool and stuff.
Check out this boutique Hot Rod of a PC.
With a custom designed and modular chassis.
This beast breaks the current fad of lap sitting, pocket fitting PCs.
What a sexy high dollar, high horsepower space heater this would make, if you don't roll your own PCs.

Origin PC Genesis

eddie dean

Quote from: Catsmile on June 27, 2014, 06:51:42 PM
Speaking of eye candy, and cool and stuff.
Check out this boutique Hot Rod of a PC.
With a custom designed and modular chassis.
This beast breaks the current fad of lap sitting, pocket fitting PCs.
What a sexy high dollar, high horsepower space heater this would make, if you don't roll your own PCs.

Origin PC Genesis

Is that a radar dome on top? Cool feature!
Control the weather and the minds of your neighbors.

Catsmile

Quote from: eddie dean on June 27, 2014, 07:26:14 PM
Is that a radar dome on top? Cool feature!
Control the weather and the minds of your neighbors.

Yes it is.
It also has a portable dome that you strap on your back, or hang from the shoulder.

EDIT: The PC is so powerful it can produce Orbs. Seen over his right shoulder.

Waiting for a new thread to emerge in ...

cweb

Quote from: Catsmile on June 27, 2014, 06:51:42 PM
Speaking of eye candy, and cool and stuff.
Check out this boutique Hot Rod of a PC.
With a custom designed and modular chassis.
This beast breaks the current fad of lap sitting, pocket fitting PCs.
What a sexy high dollar, high horsepower space heater this would make, if you don't roll your own PCs.

Origin PC Genesis
I heard this PC is so awesome, it can do Remote Viewing better than Ed Dames.

wr250

Quote from: cweb on June 28, 2014, 09:16:10 AM
I heard this PC is so awesome, it can do Remote Viewing better than Ed Dames.


an 8088 with a bad math co-processor can remote view better than dames.

cweb


onan

Quote from: wr250 on June 28, 2014, 09:21:02 AM

an 8088 with a bad math co-processor can remote view better than dames.

I believe a rock can out perform Ed.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: onan on June 28, 2014, 09:43:13 AM
I believe a rock can out perform Ed.

No, you're wrong. Tests have shown Ed performs marginally better than a piece of limestone.

Quote from: MV on June 28, 2014, 10:28:06 AM
No, you're wrong. Tests have shown Ed performs marginally better than a piece of limestone.

That doesn't speak well for limestone.

zeebo

Quote from: albrecht on June 25, 2014, 04:14:13 PM
... in the new version of windows (8.1) is there a way to at least limit the whole "experience" to make it at least like an XP menus (no no floating boxes everywhere, stupid avatar "helpers", "live" windows, and all that non-sense?) ...

Microsoft always finds a way to "help" you, whether you want it or not.   I still live in fear of that damn paper clip popping up.

Tarbaby

Quote from: MV on June 25, 2014, 01:28:31 AM
Dropbox is officially dead to me.

[attach=1]
why zat? I keep half a dozen little text files on my Dropbox, backupsf from my iPad. Do I have to worry about security issues?

onan

Quote from: MV on June 28, 2014, 10:28:06 AM
No, you're wrong. Tests have shown Ed performs marginally better than a piece of limestone.

Let's see how he does against granite.

b_dubb


wr250

Quote from: b_dubb on July 16, 2014, 01:43:34 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/apple-ibm-to-think-again-with-new-partnership-2014-07-16?siteid=yhoof2

really glad I didn't buy stock in Blackberry. This Apple/IBM partnership is the nail in the Blackberry coffin

next it will be revealed $micro$oft has ed dames on retainer, to help with future GUI design.

Camazotz Automat

Nazi sunken U-166 submarine off coast of Louisiana.  Not a new discovery, but a current live stream feed from Exploration Vessel Nautilus.

One imagines these long since dead German submariners as having regularly visited New Orleans under cover of the night - partying at an "illegal" absinthe bar, rubbing shoulders with crawfish eaters and pickle barrel builders. 

live feed:
http://www.nautiluslive.org/tech/ev-nautilus

photos:
http://www.nautiluslive.org/album/2014/07/07/tale-two-wrecks-u-166-and-ss-robert-e-lee

Camazotz Automat

Quote from: MV on June 25, 2014, 01:28:31 AM
Dropbox is officially dead to me.

I like/hate how it says, "Hi, Michael."

Such deceptively personable communication skills for an auto-letter! How impressive. They are really on the ball over there at Dropbox.

"Hi, Michael. You have cancer."
"Hi, Michael. You've won a trip to the Bahamas."
"Hi, Michael. Dropbox owns you."
"Hi, Michael. You've been drafted."
"Hi, Michael. Your application with CRS has been rejected."

Powered by SMFPacks Menu Editor Mod