• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Coast to Coast No Longer in Chicago

Started by punkinpie, February 23, 2012, 10:55:37 PM

b_dubb

Quote from: Red Eye Radio... that was a feller by the o' Jim Joe Bob explainin' how to change the oil in your Peterbuilt with nothin' but some twine, duct tape, and the skull cap of a hooker. Next ... we got us a song by Keith Toby called "Lord Jesus Is Gonna Up And Kill All You Dern Fags and Terrorists" ...
something like this?

punkinpie

Quote from: CoastCanuck on February 28, 2012, 06:09:20 PM
Neither do I.  IMO,  I'm suspcious that it's not strictly because of Noory's performance that some radio stations are dropping C2C.  Topics such as natural health alternatives, the state of the economy and climate are probably raising eyebrows amongst the establishment.  I enjoy hearing guests on C2C present the other side of what main street media pushes, and deciding for myself what I believe.  Recently,  Pat Buchanan and Judge Napolatano were dropped from their shows, I wonder if this is  part of the movement.  Even with Noory fumbling his hosting duties, at least guests still have a platform to bring forth information on C2C, and I'd hate to see this eliminated.    my 2 cents.

Similar thoughts have crossed my mind.  The reason we are C2C listeners is because we're not afraid to at least entertain those kinds of ideas.

On the other hand it could be a result of the economy.  Cumulus could be feeling the effects of declining revenue from advertising, even with their syndicated cash cows like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity.  Maybe they are taking a gamble that their own self-produced shows will cut their expenses enough to make up for any lost advertisers and maybe squeak out a bit more of a profit. 

I would love to hear the opinion of someone who knows what they are talking about with this, because I certainly don't.  It doesn't stop me from throwing around theories like a madwoman.   8) 

punkinpie

Quote from: b_dubb on February 28, 2012, 09:53:44 PM
something like this?

b dubb, did you find a transcript of last night's show?   ;)

b_dubb

no. I remote viewed a transcript of last nights show

stevesh

Right now, at the top of the Most Popular box on C2C's website is 'Radio Stations' which suggests many people are looking for stations where they can hear C2C. WLS in Chigago has been removed from the list, but WJIM in my area hasn't. They're still showing two stations in Albuquerque (both AM ?), and one in Kansas City (MO).

rangers1919

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on February 25, 2012, 12:42:31 AM

dude, you'd be surprised. 

i drove a truck all over the united states for a few years and in the course of those years, i probably had a substantive conversation with other truck drivers a total of 5 times.  they don't know how to talk about ANYTHING other than trucking.  it's sickening.  i pretty much stayed out of truck stops as much as possible and kept to myself because i felt like i was soooo out of place among those people.  when they DO try to talk about something other than trucking, it's like watching a fish try to play a piano.  many of them started driving a truck as soon as they were old enough to do so, and then continued living in a box on the road for the subsequent decades with nearly zero meaningful social interaction and no exposure to anything that could help one grow intellectually.  i know these are broad, sweeping generalizations, but go do that job for a few years and tell me you won't come away with the same impression.  i almost NEVER turned on the CB radio because of the vapidity of the voices on the other end.  on the rare occasion i DID turn on the CB, i would encounter nothing but shit from a collection of gutter trash who were upset that i'm capable of speaking proper english and can read.  it's just insufferable, so yeah, i'm not shocked at all that these people would want to listen to that midnight trucker bilge.

i spent my time on the road listening to phil hendrie, fox news on XM, phil hendrie, opie and anthony, rollye james, and phil hendrie.  i at least felt like i was exposing myself to intelligent, coherent thought processes and ideas that inspired some modicum of intellectual consideration. the alternative is listening to some trucker complain about our oppressive government that gave him a ticket for driving with no functional headlights and 10,000 pounds overweight on his rear tandems.

For an acknowledged generalization this is 100% accurate. I have worked around truckers before and this is a perfect description. At one place I worked for a few years they would fill up their trailers and it was painful to be around them for more than a few minutes. The drivers had NOTHING to talk about. They would say they had a huge delay where they had to sit for 4-5 hours or whatever, and I would ask what they did. They always said they just sat there. WTF? You don't bring a book, a magazine, or something to do, much less expand your mind? Nope, just sat there.

A lot of the time they would get on our break room phone and call their wives, and they did the exact same thing. They just talked about trucking with their wives. I was a pretty good friend with a trucker for a while but all he could talk about was driving. I've known a few who were a little different, but the generalization is so accurate.

Quote from: punkinpie on February 25, 2012, 01:08:22 AM
For now San Francisco and Dallas are among the few Cumulus stations that are still carrying C2C.

As of this weekend, it's completely dropped from Dallas. Claimed they were going to retain it for Fri and Sat night "Coast To Coast Weekends", but they did not.  Affiliate: KLIF

Marc.Knight

on the rare occasion i DID turn on the CB, i would encounter nothing but shit from a collection of gutter trash who were upset that i'm capable of speaking proper english and can read.

Jesus, sounds like you are describing the entire state of Vermont.  Proper English will get you immediately branded as gay, and having an ability to read above 3rd grade will get you hounded out of town by hoards of toothless drug addicts and drunks.

punkinpie

Quote from: M. Knight on April 15, 2012, 05:28:26 PM

Jesus, sounds like you are describing the entire state of Vermont.  Proper English will get you immediately branded as gay, and having an ability to read above 3rd grade will get you hounded out of town by hoards of toothless drug addicts and drunks.

That's interesting.  As a midwesterner, I view New England as being a tony and affluent part of the country.  Obviously, I've never been there.  My travels to the northeast have only been to Boston & Philly. 

Is Vermont special for some reason?  Is there a liberal welfare system?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: punkinpie on April 15, 2012, 05:38:47 PM
That's interesting.  As a midwesterner, I view New England as being a tony and affluent part of the country.  Obviously, I've never been there.  My travels to the northeast have only been to Boston & Philly. 

Is Vermont special for some reason?  Is there a liberal welfare system?

It has become a fucking nuthouse full of stoners making money by selling to other stoners.

"Not only does Vermont lead the nation in marijuana use, its 18- to 25-year-old residents are among the most likely in the country to have used cocaine or other illicit drugs in the past year, according to a federal report released Thursday.

The findings come as no surprise to health officials in the state, who say Vermont perennially ranks near the top in per-capita use of alcohol and narcotics..."

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20080307/NEWS04/803070370

punkinpie

Quote from: M. Knight on April 15, 2012, 05:44:14 PM
It has become a fucking nuthouse full of stoners making money by selling to other stoners.

"Not only does Vermont lead the nation in marijuana use, its 18- to 25-year-old residents are among the most likely in the country to have used cocaine or other illicit drugs in the past year, according to a federal report released Thursday.

The findings come as no surprise to health officials in the state, who say Vermont perennially ranks near the top in per-capita use of alcohol and narcotics..."

http://www.rutlandherald.com/article/20080307/NEWS04/803070370

Do you think things would improve if you didn't have medical marijuana or was it bad before that passed?

Marc.Knight

Quote from: punkinpie on April 15, 2012, 05:57:53 PM
Do you think things would improve if you didn't have medical marijuana or was it bad before that passed?

It is like any other remote, unpopulated state with very little sun.  Drugs are the quickest and cheapest way out of town.

punkinpie

Quote from: M. Knight on April 15, 2012, 06:04:35 PM

It is like any other remote, unpopulated state with very little sun.  Drugs are the quickest and cheapest way out of town.

My visions of Maple trees, L.L. Bean sweaters and campfires are starting to evaporate.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: punkinpie on April 15, 2012, 06:16:47 PM
My visions of Maple trees, L.L. Bean sweaters and campfires are starting to evaporate.

Well, the disproportionate high cost of living will get to you before the drug culture will.  Nothing in this country is what we dream it is.

Quote from: punkinpie on April 15, 2012, 06:16:47 PM

At the flatter end of the spectrum, my imagined reality of Vermont is pretty much limited to visualizing the light blue coded title deed card in MONOPOLY.

[attachimg=1]

Sardondi

No station in Chicago, the #3 radio market in the US, carries C2C? No station in Dallas, the #5 radio market, carries it either? Now, I'm certain there are stations outside the literal Chicago and Dallas markets where residents of those cities can hear C2C. Still, this is stunning news.

Have podcasts/online listening destroyed radio as we knew it? Or is there somethin' goin' on out there with C2C? Myvote is there is something going on with C2C's programming, and the game of musical hosts that's been played the last couple of months is evidence of it. Someone really thinks the problem isn't George Noory? Well, that's possible only if he 1) has no input into guests and topics, and 2) has had guests thrust upon him against his will. And I don't think that's possible. I think people have just finally had their fill of the Incompetence of Simple George.

Toppling a huge radio show which has little direct competition, and has a large and loyal audience, is like turning an aircraft carrier: it takes a long time after an action for the result to be seen. For example, how long did it take each of us to abandon C2C in frustration? And a lot of folks here haven't even done that yet!

George, I think the the chickens are coming home to roost.

punkinpie

Quote from: Sardondi on April 15, 2012, 09:28:31 PM
No station in Chicago, the #3 radio market in the US, carries C2C? No station in Dallas, the #5 radio market, carries it either? Now, I'm certain there are stations outside the literal Chicago and Dallas markets where residents of those cities can hear C2C. Still, this is stunning news.

Have podcasts/online listening destroyed radio as we knew it? Or is there somethin' goin' on out there with C2C? Myvote is there is something going on with C2C's programming, and the game of musical hosts that's been played the last couple of months is evidence of it. Someone really thinks the problem isn't George Noory? Well, that's possible only if he 1) has no input into guests and topics, and 2) has had guests thrust upon him against his will. And I don't think that's possible. I think people have just finally had their fill of the Incompetence of Simple George.

Toppling a huge radio show which has little direct competition, and has a large and loyal audience, is like turning an aircraft carrier: it takes a long time after an action for the result to be seen. For example, how long did it take each of us to abandon C2C in frustration? And a lot of folks here haven't even done that yet!

George, I think the the chickens are coming home to roost.

I believe that Coast will be on WGN in Chicago soon.  The market is too large and there are too many talk stations that would be happy to get the Rush/C2C package.  I placing my bets on WGN because it is a 50,000 watt Clear Channel station who currently has no big names to speak of.  They are conservative talk nobodies.   

I actually think that Coast will be ok.  Cumulus acquires only medium-to large markets.  The competition is nipping at each other's heels.  If one station dumps Rush there will be a competitor to go after his show and if they get Rush they get C2C.  It's up to the Premiere sales team. 

According to the C2C website they still have 546 stations.  A handful of those are repeaters, but it is still a decent number. 

The sad thing though this is that I don't think it will affect George's position at all.  The fault will lay on Rush, not George. 

Quote from: Sardondi on April 15, 2012, 09:28:31 PM
No station in Chicago, the #3 radio market in the US, carries C2C? No station in Dallas, the #5 radio market, carries it either?

Maybe it would be more accurate for me to say C2C is dropped from one of the largest stations in this part of Texas.  I have succeeded in picking up C2C while in the car in various Dallas/Ft.Worth areas, coming in from weaker stations, but these are so annoying with static and fluctuating volume that they are unbearable and I can't imagine a large Dallas audience tuning in.

I can see the Dallas skyline from my front lawn, yet none of my in house radios can pick up C2C anywhere on the AM line. The same in house radios had no problem picking up the signal from KLIF.

Once driving, and after five miles from my home, I can pick up two C2C stations.  Because of the aural torture, I didn't listen long enough to get call letters, but clearly (pardon the anti-pun), in some places in Dallas, C2C can be found. 

Whether anyone could tolerate the lack of quality in the signals I found is doubtful.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on April 16, 2012, 12:48:40 AM
Maybe it would be more accurate for me to say C2C is dropped from one of the largest stations in this part of Texas.  I have succeeded in picking up C2C while in the car in various Dallas/Ft.Worth areas, coming in from weaker stations, but these are so annoying with static and fluctuating volume that they are unbearable and I can't imagine a large Dallas audience tuning in.

I can see the Dallas skyline from my front lawn, yet none of my in house radios can pick up C2C anywhere on the AM line. The same in house radios had no problem picking up the signal from KLIF.

Once driving, and after five miles from my home, I can pick up two C2C stations.  Because of the aural torture, I didn't listen long enough to get call letters, but clearly (pardon the anti-pun), in some places in Dallas, C2C can be found. 

Whether anyone could tolerate the lack of quality in the signals I found is doubtful.

Noory has secretly made a deal to replace all C2C programming with Alex Jones. 

Coasted2astop

i spent my time on the road listening to phil hendrie, fox news on XM, phil hendrie, opie and anthony, rollye james, and phil hendrie.  i at least felt like i was exposing myself to intelligent, coherent thought processes and ideas that inspired some modicum of intellectual consideration. the alternative is listening to some trucker complain about our oppressive government that gave him a ticket for driving with no functional headlights and 10,000 pounds overweight on his rear tandems.
I see a name missing from that list I emphasized above..

Sleepwalker

I think Coast needs to find a new host and try to replicate the feel of the original Art Bell Show.  All this conspiracy crap with Steve Quayle and Alex Jones is insulting and irresponsible.  There are demented losers living in their parent's basements listening to this "your government is out to get you" crap that could be pushed over the edge to become the next Timothy McVeigh or Lee Harvey Oswald.  Someone with a conscience needs to step up to the plate at Premiere and clean house. Fire everybody who works there.  New hosts and no more Quayle, Jones conspiracy lunatics.  If they can't do that, then kill it.  Personally, I'm quite pleased whenever I hear a large radio station dropping Coast to Coast and hope more stations do the same.  Right now I'd much rather listen to Muzak all night.  At least it would lull me to sleep at night and that's worth something.

Digitech

Quote from: punkinpie on April 15, 2012, 10:54:42 PM
I believe that Coast will be on WGN in Chicago soon.  The market is too large and there are too many talk stations that would be happy to get the Rush/C2C package.  I placing my bets on WGN because it is a 50,000 watt Clear Channel station who currently has no big names to speak of.  They are conservative talk nobodies.   

I actually think that Coast will be ok.  Cumulus acquires only medium-to large markets.  The competition is nipping at each other's heels.  If one station dumps Rush there will be a competitor to go after his show and if they get Rush they get C2C.  It's up to the Premiere sales team. 

According to the C2C website they still have 546 stations.  A handful of those are repeaters, but it is still a decent number. 

The sad thing though this is that I don't think it will affect George's position at all.  The fault will lay on Rush, not George.

I wrote in a different thread how I recently heard Dave Ramsey discussing new numbers on talk shows and affiliates. He said that Rush was number 1, Hannity 2nd with about 530 affiliated, then Dave 3rd with just over 500. He said that there was a huge gap before 4th place, because nobody else has more than 500, or even 400 affiliates anymore.

Coast To Coast has lost a lot. I know they aren't carried in Kansas City anymore either. That's not as big a market as Chicago or Dallas of course.

texaskdog

Quote from: Sleepwalker on May 13, 2012, 06:11:52 PM
I think Coast needs to find a new host and try to replicate the feel of the original Art Bell Show.  All this conspiracy crap with Steve Quayle and Alex Jones is insulting and irresponsible.  There are demented losers living in their parent's basements listening to this "your government is out to get you" crap that could be pushed over the edge to become the next Timothy McVeigh or Lee Harvey Oswald.  Someone with a conscience needs to step up to the plate at Premiere and clean house. Fire everybody who works there.  New hosts and no more Quayle, Jones conspiracy lunatics.  If they can't do that, then kill it.  Personally, I'm quite pleased whenever I hear a large radio station dropping Coast to Coast and hope more stations do the same.  Right now I'd much rather listen to Muzak all night.  At least it would lull me to sleep at night and that's worth something.

Apparently they are satisfied with the show as is.  I'm not helping since I spend the $6.95 on it every month.  Even so, I'm happy to get about 10 listenable hours per week out of the 28.  Really wish they'd overhaul the show and get some new blood in.  I don't dislike Noory anywhere near most of the people on this site but wish he wasn't the regular host.

Zircon

Quote from: punkinpie on February 23, 2012, 10:55:37 PM
WLS has replaced C2C with something called Red Eye Radio.  I think it's a trucker's program that runs all night. 

I am a Coast Insider (yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever) but sometimes enjoyed listening live.  It sucks.   :(
Hell, the city is already run by a bunch of spooks, demons and other assorted dark creatures. The truckers are probably waiting for the Zombie Apocalypse to flow out from the Windy City. Hee-haw !!! Future Road splatter !!!

11angeleyes11

Although this is an quote from an article on the Limbaugh-Hucklebee radio battle, it did make some references to Coast to Coast.  It gives some history and background as to what is happening and why Coast is being replaced in some markets.  I found it interesting and informative.

TWO DEALS REALIZED 

Cumulus' plan to take on Clear Channel in the syndication market were put in motion long before the impending Limbaugh-Huckabee battle. The roots can be traced to two deals: the $1.2 billion purchase of Susquehanna Radio in 2006 and $2.4 billion acquisition of Citadel Broadcasting in 2010.
Those deals transformed Cumulus from a sleepy small- to mid-market company into a national player. Before them, the largest market in which Cumulus had a presence was ranked 125th nationally. Now, the family-run company is in seven of the top 10 U.S. radio markets.
With a big national footprint and its own network, Cumulus is now able to develop and syndicate its own content as opposed to paying to license it from competitors such as Clear Channel.
Moreover, Cumulus can now shop its content to outside radio station owners, potentially stealing market share from Clear Channel. In essence, Cumulus has gone from being a purchaser of content to a creator of one.
"We eat our own cooking here. If something works for us, it should also work for others in the industry," said Dickey, referring to Cumulus' goal to license homegrown talent to others in the industry.
The company last month announced that it was replacing "Coast-to-Coast," a show produced by Clear Channel, with Cumulus' own "Red Eye Radio" on 22 of its stations. Earlier in March, Cumulus said it was dropping "The Billy Bush Show," produced by Dial Global, for an upcoming show of its own.
Cumulus licenses Limbaugh's show on about three dozen of its own stations. It is expected to replace Limbaugh with Huckabee once these contracts expire.
"I can guarantee you that the minute Cumulus' contract with Rush expires in New York, they will replace him with Huckabee," said Joel Hollander, the former CEO of CBS Radio now running private investment firm 264 Echo Place Partners.
For now Limbaugh has some breathing room - the vast majority of his contracts with Cumulus do not expire until next year. Dickey said Cumulus has "no plans to drop Rush" from any of its stations at this time and will "honor its contracts."
Dickey's diplomacy is smart radio politics. Cumulus must navigate a delicate divide between competing and cooperating with Clear Channel. The radio industry as a whole has been in secular decline for more than a decade, as Apple Inc's iPods, satellite radio Sirius XM Radio Inc and Internet streaming services such as Pandora Media Inc have eaten away at advertising sales and audience share.
Traditional radio companies have been forced to look for new avenues of growth, often in partnership with each other. Cumulus recently announced a deal to stream its stations on Clear Channel's iHeart-Radio digital platform. The two companies also joined forces on "SweetJack," radio's version of Groupon Inc's daily deals, set to launch nationwide on May 1.
"Cumulus does have a lot of holes across the country where it will need to work with Clear Channel and others radio companies, so what you are going to see is a lot of horse trading," said Hollander

(Courtesy of World Technology online)

nightmaster

CUMULUS aka Bain Capital aka that evil mormon scumbag ROMNEY is taking over and destroying alternative media.
Best bet is to buy a wireless radio like the Squeezebox to get the Coast to Coast show on the few affiliates that still have the show on. To hell with Cumulus and that POS crap show Red Eye Radio. Maybe if millions boycott Cumulus that may be effective.

DAE

Good grief... how could the producers be so stupid to allow C2C to fall apart like this.  90% of the problems are so easy to solve.  What a lost chance to transform the show even above and beyond what Art did.  Like at one time Coast was the leading place to go to for the latest alternative news.  Even the most recent crop circles that have appeared are never mentioned much, or at all. 

BigDave

I listen to C2C on WTAM 1100 in Cleveland when I'm driving to work. I can't hear the local affiliate 640 WGST at night. If i'm at home I listen online

punkinpie

I am beginning to wonder if Noory's absence is a cliffhanger stunt to generate interest in the show.  If he comes back with a wild story that he was abducted, we will know.  There is still not an affiliate in Chicago carrying the show. 

I hadn't listened to WLS regularly for a while.  I turned it on yesterday and was astounded by the number of public service announcements that were being played during commercial breaks on the morning drive show.  The regular host, Don Wade, a beloved curmudgeon, has been off the air for several weeks after being diagnosed with brain cancer.  I'm not sure if the lack of advertisers was due to the fill-in hosts or if Cumulus is not doing well with the changes that they've made.

The General

Quote from: nightmaster on May 27, 2012, 05:45:27 PM
CUMULUS aka Bain Capital aka that evil mormon scumbag ROMNEY is taking over and destroying alternative media.

Probably Bush's fault.  In fact, let's dig up Nixon and question him about it.  There's gotta be a rich republican at the root of all this.