• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

DesertFox

Quote from: Art Bell on February 24, 2015, 10:09:14 PM
I can not answer all the questions you all have but I will say this, the "Big Player" is still in play, can not say more then that now. Besides that we are talking to the music people ourselves. So everything is still on track
for the moment. It seems unfair to us that the small amount of music played as bumpers is treated just
like a Pandora. The World is not a fair place and we are doing our best to work it out. Trust me when I tell
you this is the last thing we expected to run into. We had no idea that Radio and the Internet were treated
in totally different ways. When I know anything I will let you all know.

Art   

Art--there always a way!   You've overcome worse in the past.  Hang in there, buddy.  You can do it.

DesertFox

Lets keep cool and give Art a chance to overcome this.

ManiacMatt

Quote from: phrodo on February 24, 2015, 09:13:49 PM
I respectfully disagree Art - I've said it before and apparently have to say it again -- Dreamland had ONE song for hello, be right back, we're back and goodnight and it was AWESOME. I listen to you for the topic and guests AND YOU! Definitely NOT the music. And I believe that an overwhelming majority of your fans and listeners feel and felt the same.

I agree 100%!  I listen to podcasts for the topics and conversations, not music.  It would be very unfortunate if the legendary Art Bell can't do a podcast because of some music issue when a lot of other people are doing podcasts.

albrecht

Quote from: boba FETT on February 24, 2015, 10:49:56 PM
Any movie named BEER has to be a winner!
It is an oft forgotten classic with a plot that is totally believable but, likely due to influence of Miller/Anheiser-Busch cartel, and  was mostly lost. Can be found on VHS and probably somewhere on the internet. Man, my internet just got sloooow when I tried to find a link so I suspect InBev etc is in league with the Obama "net neutrality" stuff....but look it up. And it is best to "have a few, or many" before, and whilst, viewing.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088781/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Back on to thread. Any news is good news and we aint see nothing yet! Art Bell WILL be back. I remote viewed it.

Quote from: DesertFox on February 24, 2015, 11:20:47 PM
Lets keep cool and give Art a chance to overcome this.

Desert Fox, I agree. I just miss Art so damn much...when I hear that "other guy", I get so upset that I want to strangle Tommy with Jim Marr's beard. I'm loyal to Art and only Art! He will break the chains of Premiere and ascend to the top again!

WhiteCrow

Quote from: (Redacted) on February 24, 2015, 11:04:26 PM

I know it's unrealistic, but I wish there was something I could do to help.

Yep... It's unrealistic for me too, to think I could help... but I have a wonderful staff that makes our Businesses successful and 'hope' Art has one too.

One of the things that works for us; surround yourself with a core of intelligent, 'street smarts" dedicated people, they don't need to be experts, they will become experts. Treat them well and pay them more than they can earn from any other employer.

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 24, 2015, 11:39:58 PM
Yep... It's unrealistic for me too, to think I could help... but I have wonderful staff that makes our Businesses successful and 'hope' Art has one too.

One of the things that works for us; surround yourself with a core of intelligent, 'street smarts" dedicated people, they don't need to be experts, they will become experts. Treat them well and pay them more than they can earn from any other employer.

You're on the money with surrounding yourself with intelligent core of people. Never try to do everything on your own.

bateman

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 24, 2015, 11:39:58 PM
Yep... It's unrealistic for me too, to think I could help... but I have a wonderful staff that makes our Businesses successful and 'hope' Art has one too.

Sounds nice, but you need revenue to do that. $36k a month in music licensing fees means you've gotta have some advertisers with pretty deep pockets. Not sure if Bob Crane has that kind of coin.

The "big player" either needs to foot the bill, or a creative deal has to be hatched with the licensing entities.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: boba FETT on February 24, 2015, 11:44:30 PM
You're on the money with surrounding yourself with intelligent core of people. Never try to do everything on your own.

Yep... it's easy for me ... my skill is picking the 'right' people and giving them the opportunity and vision to be the best they can be.

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 24, 2015, 11:51:57 PM
Yep... it's easy for me ... my skill is picking the 'right' people and giving them the opportunity and vision to be the best they can be.

Managerial tactician. I respect that.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2015, 11:51:49 PM

Sounds nice, but you need revenue to do that. $36k a month in music licensing fees means you've gotta have some advertisers with pretty deep pockets. Not sure if Bob Crane has that kind of coin.

The "big player" either needs to foot the bill, or a creative deal has to be hatched with the licensing entities.

Mr Bateman, if you would kindly go back a few pages and read my posts, I addressed these issues. oh never mind I'll copy it here :)

Using Batemans' posted numbers:

If Art had 100,000 paid subscribers that paid $10 per month.
Per subscriber about $6.00 would go for steaming/music fee and gross cash flow $4.00 to Art.

Per month gross income at with 100,000 subscribers $1,000,000.00 (5,000 listen for free)
100,000 x $10.00 = $1,000,000 - $600,000 music/streaming fees = $400,000 gross cash flow per month to Art

Annual gross income to Art and company after paying streaming/music fees $4,800,000.00 per one hundred thousand paid subscribers

So obviously the unknows; is how many 'willing; paid subscribers and how much will they pay..... Bell curve thingie, pun intended.

This is MR ART BELL he's got to have a large following of 'willing' subscribers.

Plus the numbers above are from Bateman's post doubt if they are intended for a talent like Art, a lower cost deal is most likely a given

Seems to me that people are focused on cost of paid streaming, whereas I see income potential, that can work for Art, because he is a known talent that people will pay to listen.
Think Netflix, Glen Beck or other successful popular paid streamers.
Netflix dings my credit card $9 bucks a month, I could care less, it's under my radar of concerns, I'd gladly have Art ding it too   

I'm on the next wagon train to Pahrump ... Thar gold in them thar streams! .....streaming

Daggit

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 24, 2015, 11:51:57 PM

No one asked for your resume Warren Buffett.

bateman

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 24, 2015, 11:57:59 PM
Mr Bateman, if you would kindly go back a few pages and read my posts, I addressed these issues. oh never mind I'll copy it here :)

Per subscriber about $6.00 would go for steaming/music fee and gross cash flow $4.00 to Art.

Per month gross income at with 100,000 subscribers $1,000,000.00 (5,000 listen for free)
100,000 x $10.00 = $1,000,000 - $600,000 music/streaming fees = $400,000 gross cash flow per month to Art

Annual gross income to Art and company after streaming/music fees $4,800,000.00

I'm on the next wagon train to Using Batemans' posted numbers:

I'm on the next wagon train to Pahrump... Thar gold in them thar streams!

100,000 paying subscribers is a fantasy, at least in the beginning.

Daggit

I'm on the next wagon train to Using Batemans' posted numbers:

I'm on the next wagon train to Pahrump... Thar gold in them thar streams!

I love Art and want him to succeed but there is no way he will be getting 100,000 subscribers off the bat.

He has 5,000 friends on Facebook and a little over 15,000 followers.

Now I'm not financial forecaster or a professor in sociology but generally when people can get things for free, they will.

I have no idea what % will want to buy the cow when they can get the milk for free. Sure many, like myself, will contribute but the majority will probably just suckle off the free teet.

I hope you are not Art's bellgab.com Business Advisor.

ks3484

Art, is there any reason why you can't approach this project as Non-Commercial (Non Profit)?

BMI will charge an annual Minimum Fee of $351 based on the number of hits made on your website (which will be Non-Commercial). This Minimum Fee will apply only if your Not For Profit Website has 0 - 3,500,000 hits per year.

Non-Commercial Performance Agreement:

The Non-Commercial Website Music Performance License is offered to any bona fide 501(c)(3) Not-For-Profit Organizations, churches, schools, or other related charitable organizations to cover the use of BMI music on their web sites.  The Non-Commercial Website License has a rate based on traffic to pages on your website.

Link: BMI: NON-COMMERCIAL MUSIC PERFORMANCE AGREEMENT

I believe it's page 10 of the Agreement that has the actual calculations formulas.

License Fee = 60,000 page hits 1st year / 1000 x .08 = $4.80  :) We can do this Art! Just let me know how much my portion of the
donation will be.  ;D

****Continue To Chronicle Your Observations, Art!!!****

Art has said in the past that he knew Nancy Sinatra of "Some Velvet Morning" fame.  Perhaps Nancy could emulate her Dad and deal with the music execs.  He could have gone in and told them to let Art play the bumpers or they would be meeting up with some of his personal bumpers named Sal & Guido.  If Nancy can't do it, George Knapp (judging from his recent shows) has plenty of contacts in the Vegas power circuits.  Maybe they could help out.  It's time to play hardball with these money grubbers.

jazmunda

Quote from: ks3484 on February 25, 2015, 12:11:31 AM
Art, is there any reason why you can't approach this project as Non-Commercial (Non Profit)?

BMI will charge an annual Minimum Fee of $351 based on the number of hits made on your website (which will be Non-Commercial). This Minimum Fee will apply only if your Not For Profit Website has 0 - 3,500,000 hits per year.

Non-Commercial Performance Agreement:

The Non-Commercial Website Music Performance License is offered to any bona fide 501(c)(3) Not-For-Profit Organizations, churches, schools, or other related charitable organizations to cover the use of BMI music on their web sites.  The Non-Commercial Website License has a rate based on traffic to pages on your website.

Link: BMI: NON-COMMERCIAL MUSIC PERFORMANCE AGREEMENT

Are you asking Art to do the show, not to mention all the preparation work each show, not to mention the studio build for free?

Art loves us and broadcasting a lot. I mean he really loves us and broadcasting a hell of a lot. But he doesn't love us that much.

sydtron

I still say let the pirates be pirates and that be the free stream. Word of mouth sure gets around these days.
But then comes the issue of paying for the music.  Damn you Ye Olde Interwebz!!  I mean really. He is going to play like 5 mins of music total per show. The whole argument is moot when it comes to somebody getting a copy of the music through streaming it. Or even the podcast version of the show.  In essence Art isnt even distribting music. Its used as part of the show to enhance the mood. I do not see how this isnt "fair use"?  Im no copywright lawyer though.
I dont know anybody that says "Hey! You want to hear 30 seconds of killer music?"   No. They play the whole song for their buddies and or go "get" the mp3 of it.  Arts use of the music is more like Bob Ross putting a happy little tree in his sonic painting. (If anybody come up with a meme of Art as Bob Ross. I will love you forever!) *end rant*

jazmunda

Annual gross income to Art and company after paying streaming/music fees $4,800,000.00 per one hundred thousand paid subscribers

So obviously the unknows; is how many 'willing; paid subscribers and how much will they pay..... Bell curve thingie, pun intended.

This is MR ART BELL he's got to have a large following of 'willing' subscribers.

Plus the numbers above are from Bateman's post doubt if they are intended for a talent like Art, a lower cost deal is most likely a given

Seems to me that people are focused on cost of paid streaming, whereas I see income potential, that can work for Art, because he is a known talent that people will pay to listen.
Think Netflix, Glen Beck or other successful popular paid streamers.
Netflix dings my credit card $9 bucks a month, I could care less, it's under my radar of concerns, I'd gladly have Art ding it too   

I'm on the next wagon train to Pahrump ... Thar gold in them thar streams! .....streaming

I'm not sure your numbers are going to add up.

100,000 is overly optimistic to begin with.

Lets be conservative and say 10,000 paid subscribers and your numbers only add up to $48,000 and that is before paying his producer not to mention saving a little bit for himself.

Anyway, I'm not sure any of us know what the revenue and expenses involved in a venture like this really are so it's all a moot point.

WOTR

Quote from: jazmunda on February 25, 2015, 12:14:47 AM
Are you asking Art to do the show, not to mention all the preparation work each show, not to mention the studio build for free?
But the joy of "not for profit" is that people can (and do) profit.  Paying a salary to the top executives and / or on air talent and other staff is allowable.  Only the entity itself cannot profit.  I believe the top earners for the red cross and other "charities" are quite generous.  Using the 2010 numbers for the red cross you find that:

Executive director Gail McGovern made $561,210
EVP for biomedical services James Hrouda made $621,779
Biomedical services president Shaun Gilmore made $573,933

McGovern was actually compensated well over a million after taking into account perks and other compensation.

Art could (in theory) probably become a not for profit and do quite well.  Chances are that like a good televangalist, he would have to ask people to "donate" rather than "subscribe."  It can be the same thing- just use the correct lingo.

WhiteCrow

Quote from: bateman on February 24, 2015, 11:59:51 PM

100,000 paying subscribers is a fantasy, at least in the beginning.

Mr. Bateman, every Business starts with a vision, then a plan and the first customer. I'll assume Art has capital.

I don't know how many paid subscribers Art will start with or end up. Nobody does!
My gut tells me he's a unique known talent, and that makes him a very special commodity, that people will pay for to listen.
Very few broadcasters have his skill-set to attract a paid audience... 

WhiteCrow

Quote from: Daggit on February 25, 2015, 12:02:02 AM

I hope you are not Art's bellgab.com Business Advisor.

No...but tonight I am sleeping at a Holiday Inn, tomorrow going to seminar on Cat Shaving with a special focus group on Cat Herding

WhiteCrow

Quote from: jazmunda on February 25, 2015, 12:20:37 AM

Anyway, I'm not sure any of us know what the revenue and expenses involved in a venture like this really are so it's all a moot point.

Forgive me... I don't know Art's business plan... but I do have enough business sense to recognize that Art has huge money making potential. He has stated his goals and my posts have encompassed his stated goals only.     

WhiteCrow

Lets be conservative and say 10,000 paid subscribers and your numbers only add up to $48,000 and that is before paying his producer not to mention saving a little bit for himself.

Not $48,000. That would be $480,000. gross annual income for 15,000 listeners with 5,000 free.
...and of course Art can likly cut a better deal.   

ks3484

There is no reason why Art can't take donations from his audience. Haven't you ever heard of Billy Graham, or watched other famous evangelical preachers? They're all Non-Profits and making millions off of God et al. Why not have Art Bell make it off of the Art Bell show?

Non Profit doesn't mean no money for administrative, payroll, overhead, and other expenses. That's why you accept and then use the donations on.

jazmunda

Quote from: WhiteCrow on February 25, 2015, 12:55:16 AM
Not $48,000. That would be $480,000. gross annual income for 15,000 listeners with 5,000 free.
...and of course Art can likly cut a better deal.   

My apologies. I thought your initial post had a income at $480,000.00. Ima bit dyslexic when it comes to large numbers with lots of zeros.

Still I think you're playing a game of fantasy football Art Bell edition.