• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Avi

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 15, 2011, 11:17:12 PM
Hola fellow math nerd! ;)

The wife says to give you a tip of the hat (she's taking this Texan crap a bit too seriously) from a mechanical engineer who specializes in fracture mechanics. Me, I'm just a dumb musician.

YNOT

I like that sig too.  I am an electrical engineer, (controls in aerospace), but not a very good joke teller.
Here's my weak attempt at geek humour:

Q: What is the value of the contour integral around Western Europe?
A: Zero.
Q: Why?
A: Because all poles are in Eastern Europe!

Lame. Sorry.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: YNOT on August 16, 2011, 07:09:15 AM
I like that sig too.  I am an electrical engineer, (controls in aerospace), but not a very good joke teller.

Lame. Sorry.
when a joke forces the audience to hit wikipedia... well... you know...

BobGrau

QuoteQ: What is the value of the contour integral around Western Europe?

actually most of them are in the UK these days - working hard while people like me surf the net all day. bless em.

Quote from: Marc Knight on December 21, 2010, 04:19:52 PM

Art is old.  And finished.
I wonder where this would place Imus? Art is 60 and would be far from finished, provided that he still loves broadcasting.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Avi on August 16, 2011, 01:22:14 AM
The wife says to give you a tip of the hat (she's taking this Texan crap a bit too seriously) from a mechanical engineer who specializes in fracture mechanics. Me, I'm just a dumb musician.
Hey Avi!! That's awesome. Musicians are kind of engineers too. Acoustics is mechanical engineering!

Frys Girl

Lame. Sorry.
LMAO. Between the Clouseau avatar and the joke, I'm ROFL. Peter Sellers hated Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" so as a joke, he played the song at his funeral. Lol. Ian Punnett did a whole show on Glenn Miller, and I remember on a Friday night once, he did a "coming attractions" spot with George Noory and he was like "What's your favorite Glenn Miller song, George?" And George was like "You tell me Ian! haha!" Awkward.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 15, 2011, 11:17:12 PM
Hola fellow math nerd! ;)

Aloha! I actually first learned about complex numbers in Physics. Made it all much more simple.

Morgus

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on August 16, 2011, 10:20:07 AM
I wonder where this would place Imus? Art is 60 and would be far from finished, provided that he still loves broadcasting.
Art is 66 now, born in 1945 I believe...

Lester

If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold, you gotta know the password, “Roll, Tide, Roll!”

Yes. Lester went to Alabama.

And often visited New Orleans to see The University of Alabama play in the Sugar Bowl and to enjoy a Hurricane (thank you Pat O’Brien’s).  Once I "lost" my 1963 Chevrolet Impala convertible there thanks to one too many Hurricanes â€" I forgot where I parked the car!

New Orleans is the home of Morgus.

Search for “Morgus the Magnificent” on YouTube and you will have a real treat!

Scully

Quote from: Morgus on August 16, 2011, 04:01:47 PM
Art is 66 now, born in 1945 I believe...

Morgus, I think you and I are the only bean counters around here.  I was going to make that numeric correction, but you beat me to it!

Art isn't getting any younger, folks.  If he doesn't make his comeback very soon, it's gonna be too late.  :-\

Quote from: Avi on August 16, 2011, 01:22:14 AM
'Allo! Fracture mechanics sounds interesting. Does she work in academia or private industry? I assume she is good friends with the stress tensor. And, what kind of music do you play?

Win!

As for complex numbers, one of my favorite expressions is deMoivre's formula for theta=pi because it's so simple yet has such a mind blowing solution.
e^{i * pi}=-1
The combination of two non-terminating irrational numbers, pi and e, with a complex number, i, gives a perfectly finite result, the largest negative integer. That's hot.

/nerd off

Avi

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 17, 2011, 01:58:14 AM
'Allo! Fracture mechanics sounds interesting. Does she work in academia or private industry? I assume she is good friends with the stress tensor. And, what kind of music do you play?

She works for Southwest Research, but also in academia. The sad truth is that it is the gubmint, and particularly the military, that funds most hard science research in the USA, so indirectly, I suppose she works for the Air Force (her former employer, anyway). Her research is centered on crack propagation (I love to tell people that). My wife is a crack propagator. The children and I get to accompany her on trips to exciting places. While she spends her day talking about FEAP (fine element something or another), we visit the San Diego Zoo. Doesn't seem fair, does it?

I am an ethnomusicologist, but I specialize in music of Mizrachi & Sephardi Jews, as well as in 'Celtic' music. I do perform, but usually as a part of teaching. I know my rock-band is over the hill because I'm in it.

Quote from: Avi on August 17, 2011, 05:16:31 AMThe children and I get to accompany her on trips to exciting places. While she spends her day talking about FEAP (fine element something or another), we visit the San Diego Zoo. Doesn't seem fair, does it?
No, it doesn't. Finite Element Analysis is way more ....
Uh... I mean yeah. YEAH! I pick the Zoo as well. *studying the floor and kicking around dirt*

Quote from: Avi on August 17, 2011, 05:16:31 AM
I am an ethnomusicologist, but I specialize in music of Mizrachi & Sephardi Jews, as well as in 'Celtic' music. I do perform, but usually as a part of teaching. I know my rock-band is over the hill because I'm in it.
haha
What's the music of Mizrachi and Sephardi Jews like? I'm halfway familiar with Celtic music.

Quote from: Frys Girl on August 16, 2011, 10:36:47 AM
Hey Avi!! That's awesome. Musicians are kind of engineers too. Acoustics is mechanical engineering!

Actually just thought of this. A friend recently gave me a book called "Harmonograph: A Visual Guide to the Mathematics of Music" by Anthony Ashton. Very interesting book and some amazing visuals in there.

Quote from: Scully on August 17, 2011, 12:14:51 AM

Morgus, I think you and I are the only bean counters around here.  I was going to make that numeric correction, but you beat me to it!

Art isn't getting any younger, folks.  If he doesn't make his comeback very soon, it's gonna be too late.  :-\

I have to totally disagree here. Vin Scully, who is arguably one of the best ever baseball announcers is 83 and still going strong. Chick Hearn with the Lakers was doing the play by play until his death at 85 and still was the finest basketball announcer in the game at the time. Art has a long way to go. Only a question if he still wants to do it.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: From Somewhere Out There on August 17, 2011, 10:17:44 AM
I have to totally disagree here. Vin Scully, who is arguably one of the best ever baseball announcers is 83 and still going strong. Chick Hearn with the Lakers was doing the play by play until his death at 85 and still was the finest basketball announcer in the game at the time. Art has a long way to go. Only a question if he still wants to do it.
^^^^this^^^^

MV/Liberace!

avi, can we hear your music anywhere?

YNOT

Wow.  Finite Element Method.... Is there a topic this thread has not covered? LMAO...
Frys Girl.. interesting trivia about Sellers. I'm actually a Glenn Miller fan.
I also find it interesting, though, not surprising, that Ian would know who Glenn Miller is, and Snoory couldn't even think of a song by him, being older and all.

In The Mood

Frys Girl

Quote from: YNOT on August 17, 2011, 11:27:15 AM
Wow.  Finite Element Method.... Is there a topic this thread has not covered? LMAO...
Frys Girl.. interesting trivia about Sellers. I'm actually a Glenn Miller fan.
I also find it interesting, though, not surprising, that Ian would know who Glenn Miller is, and Snoory couldn't even think of a song by him, being older and all.

Just to clarify, Sellers didn't hate Glenn Miller, but he hated "In the Mood" because it was so overplayed.

Ian is my favorite host of Coast to Coast AM. Used to be Knapp, but I get the sense that Knapp is too annoyed recently, and it is affecting the quality of his hosting.

Quote from: YNOT on August 17, 2011, 11:27:15 AM

You know new developments have dropped off to a trickle when the thread becomes a discussion of Finite Element Method.

onan

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 17, 2011, 05:00:44 PM
You know new developments have dropped off to a trickle when the thread becomes a discussion of Finite Element Method.

Yeah, I think Art Bell quit due to the constant bickering between the political factions of that elemental method. So maybe you guys are scaring him away... did you ever think of that?

BobGrau

Is there a mathematical formula to describe Art's retirement habits?

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: BobGrau on August 17, 2011, 05:14:19 PM
Is there a mathematical formula to describe Art's retirement habits?
not a mathematical formula per se, but i'd say his retirement history COULD be compared to a sine wave:

Quote from: onan on August 17, 2011, 05:03:44 PM
Yeah, I think Art Bell quit due to the constant bickering between the political factions of that elemental method. So maybe you guys are scaring him away... did you ever think of that?
I have dishonored our fearless leader. There can be only one outcome...

Samurai Seppuku

Avi

"As for complex numbers, one of my favorite expressions is deMoivre's formula for theta=pi because it's so simple yet has such a mind blowing solution.
e^{i * pi}=-1
The combination of two non-terminating irrational numbers, pi and e, with a complex number, i, gives a perfectly finite result, the largest negative integer. That's hot."

My wife's response to this: "Oh, that's the subject of one of my favorite XKCD cartoons!" "Really!" I replied with faux bonhomie. Sorry, I had only one calculus class in high school, so I have only a vague idea of the things she talks about. Acoustics in her world is Fluids. In mine, it is this (and surely, this would give Art a greater incentive to retire - perhaps I should say that it would up the amplitude on the Retirement Sine Wave):

שמעון בוסקילה - מהיום שהלכת (יא מאמא)

A song written by Moroccan Jew, Shmon Buskila, on the death of his mother, and sung in Darija, the Morrocan dialect of Arabic.

Noa Jewish Yemenite Music موسيقى يهودية يمني מוסיקה תימני

Songs of Yemenite Jews, many based upon the poems of Rabbi Shalom Shabazi, national poet of Yemen.

Yasmin Levy - Una Noche Mas©

A Sephardic (Sepharad means Spain in Hebrew) song. Most of the Sephardim, who were exiled from Spain in 1492, ended up in Turkey.

OK, Art Bell quit Coast, didn't he?

WOTR

Just registered to help propel this thread to 130 pages...  It kind of looks like 999 made the right call on this one.  According to Joshua P Warren (tonight's guest) the family (and possibly Art) felt that it was possessed and wanted it removed immediately.  One of the first times that I heard Art's name mentioned on air in quite some time.  When the guest mentioned the alien needing to leave in a hurry it reminded me of this thread and I laughed...  I am wondering if it was a blind side to have Arts name mentioned "on air" or if it was planned... did they know that Joshua was going to mention Art?

Quote from: 999 on August 07, 2011, 04:31:20 PM
FB:"I am cleaning my Radio room and I will sell Carville the Alien to the highest bidder ( pick up only) given to me by Rush and about 5 ft tall."

Quote from: Morgus on August 08, 2011, 01:01:17 AM
that really says it all.
Art cleaning out his old radio room and getting rid of his prized gray alien.
getting rid of the last remnants of the old art bell show?
Quote from: 999 on August 08, 2011, 04:46:15 AM
Maybe it is scaring the crap out of his little girls?

jazmunda

Quote from: WOTR on August 18, 2011, 03:37:38 AM
Just registered to help propel this thread to 130 pages...  It kind of looks like 999 made the right call on this one.  According to Joshua P Warren (tonight's guest) the family (and possibly Art) felt that it was possessed and wanted it removed immediately.  One of the first times that I heard Art's name mentioned on air in quite some time.  When the guest mentioned the alien needing to leave in a hurry it reminded me of this thread and I laughed...  I am wondering if it was a blind side to have Arts name mentioned "on air" or if it was planned... did they know that Joshua was going to mention Art?

Could you please elaborate on what was actually said. Cheers.