• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

YNOT

Hi all, haven't posted here in quite awhile.  About half an hour ago on Arts Facebook page he posted something as cryptic as ever of course and feeding into the wild speculation which built this thread.
QuoteHi all,
Please excuse the lack of posting but we have days full of trying to restore the house here in Pahrump to livable condition. There is so much to do and only so many hours in the day. There are things going on in the background that I will talk about at the proper time. The move was a big one and we need time to adjust. For now, thank you all for your friendship.

So is it a pregnancy? Health issue? Or the perennial favorite...is he returning to radio?
Who knows... Just another small transfusion to get closer to page 100 i suppose.

Area51

I have a feeling it's something career related. Whether that means broadcasting on the radio, or a new book, or whatever. That would seem to make more sense as to why he's reaching out to the fans now. I hope that's the case. Does anyone know if he has a non-compete clause in his past agreement with Premier? Would he have to broadcast through Premier's network if he came back?

Fly By Night

Quote from: YNOT on July 30, 2011, 08:18:00 PM
Hi all, haven't posted here in quite awhile.  About half an hour ago on Arts Facebook page he posted something as cryptic as ever of course and feeding into the wild speculation which built this thread.
So is it a pregnancy? Health issue? Or the perennial favorite...is he returning to radio?
Who knows... Just another small transfusion to get closer to page 100 i suppose.

I hope it's not health. I wrote when he got back that if I was in my late 60's and a lifetime smoker I would want to be in the US close to Vegas hospitals. I was hoping that I was wrong. I'm hoping it's just Art being a numberless master of suspense. I mean, come on Art. I've moved a lot, and it does not take this long to settle in. I'm not complaining tho, one of the things I like best about Art is the tune in tomorrow for more details side of him

Area51

It might take a while to settle in if you are getting your broadcast equipment set up :o)

anagrammy

Quote from: Area51 on July 30, 2011, 09:51:26 PM
It might take a while to settle in if you are getting your broadcast equipment set up :o )

I am also thinking of his non-compete agreement as being a reason he has had to be circumspect and take some time.    The timing appears right for Art to be moving, setting up equipment and negotiating something new with his network of friends and supporters now that some time has passed since his departure from Premiere. 

AND I think we here at CoastGab can pat ourselves on the back for keeping this thread going and providing steady and constant negative feedback about the quality of the show.  I can't help but feel that any assessment of Art's regarding his viability as a host would have to include us "haters" because, as we all know, there's no C2C-related forum anywhere near CoastGab in terms of participation.

People come here to lurk and see what's what and they stay because it's a congenial bunch here and there's no clique and not too many rules.  It's friendly to newcomers while at the same time calling it as we see it.

I'm very excited about Art coming back to the U. S. and hope someday we will have that party in Pahrump called Where In The World Is Art Bell?  I'm bringing cole slaw.....

Welcome back, Art!

Anagrammy

jazmunda

^ He also retired in 2007.

Art

^  You're absolutely right.  July 1.

We need an official timeline.

Art just posted this 12 hours ago on FB:

QuoteHi all,
Please excuse the lack of posting but we have days full of trying to restore the house here in Pahrump to livable condition. There is so much to do and only so many hours in the day. There are things going on in the background that I will talk about at the proper time. The move was a big one and we need time to adjust. For now, thank you all for your friendship.

b_dubb

it seems like Art has a built in audience to support a podcast (like Marc Maron's WTF podcast) but since Art was really a host i think the podcast might add a layer of complexity.  he'd have to arrange a time for a guest to interviews.  and ... open lines?  practically impossible if he weren't streaming live. i know Art is marreid to the radio waves but it might make sense to kick all that to the curb and send a signal / data file directly to his fans

b_dubb

Quote from: anagrammy on July 30, 2011, 11:53:03 PM
I'm bringing cole slaw.....
will this be a creamy, mayonaise based slaw?  or a vinegar type slaw?  just wondering

anagrammy

Quote from: Art on July 31, 2011, 02:14:33 AM
^  You're absolutely right.  July 1.

We need an official timeline.

I'm retired.  Before I retired, I tried to retire.  Retirement is like sex--failed attempts don't count.  I could care less whether Art's "retired" every other day since the end of the Korean War.  What I care about is that he's there live when I turn on the radio dial.  'Cause if I hear Art's voice, I will get up and make tea.  If I hear Noory's voice, I download an audio book.

It's that simple.

Anagrammy

Art

1978 - West Coast AM begins on KDWN, Art broadcasts from Las Vegas
1988 - West Coast AM renamed Coast to Coast, Art begins broadcasting from Pahrump
1992 - John Lear and Bob Lazar interviewed on December 12, opening up the era of weird topics
1993 - Area 2000 begins, on Sundays, with reports from Knapp and Howe
1994 - Area 2000 renamed Dreamland
1996 - Hale-Bopp coverage begins in November
1998 - Art announces immediate retirement on October 13, returns 2 weeks later
1999 - Dreamland is now hosted by Whitley Strieber
2000 - Art retires in April
2001 - Art returns in February, founds KNYE, which goes on the air November 19
2002 - Art retires on December 31, sells copies of artbell.com
2003 - Art returns in September, to host Saturdays & Sundays
2005 - Art starts "semi-retirement," hosting two Sundays a month
2006 - Art resumes hosting every Sunday, in January
2007 - Art retires on July 1
2008 - Art sells KNYE on May 29
2010 - Art hosts his last program on October 31

anagrammy

Awesome, Art- but why is Hale-Bopp in there?

Ana

anagrammy

Quote from: b_dubb on July 31, 2011, 11:49:13 AM
will this be a creamy, mayonaise based slaw?  or a vinegar type slaw?  just wondering

It depends on whether the virtual ribs have a sweet barbecue rub or not.  OH WHO KNOWS?  LOL!

Anagrammy

Area51

I was wondering too if Art might take things into the 21st century with by-passing radio all together and go for some kind of state of the art, (no pun intended) podcast, internet broadcasting, streaming, or whatever cyber space magic he could come up with. Of course I'd love him to come back on radio, along with some streaming, but however we can get Art back would be great!

YNOT

As far as using "newer" technology, I feel that Art would have no problem there.  He has always been a proponent of the the internet, even tying it in with HAM radio early on.  I see two problems he may have with it.
Firstly, there is the question of callers.  Art likes to interact with his audience and would still need a switchboard of sorts...This may not be an issue, but it would probably be a requirement to be worthwhile to him.

Secondly, Art has radio waves in his blood.  The romantic and nostalgic feelings that radio must  illicit from him would be largely missing in some newer format... just some random thoughts.

Come ON 100!

Art

Quote from: anagrammy on July 31, 2011, 04:01:02 PM
Awesome, Art- but why is Hale-Bopp in there?

http://www.coastgab.com/index.php?topic=2266.0

It was important to his career.  I want to add the beginning of topics like Y2K and the quickening, but I don't have dates.

Harmness

Quote from: anagrammy on July 31, 2011, 02:17:09 PM
Retirement is like sex--failed attempts don't count. 

Anagrammy

Son of a bitch!  Anyone know how to erase notches from a headboard?

Scully

Quote from: YNOT on July 31, 2011, 04:36:11 PM
As far as using "newer" technology, I feel that Art would have no problem there.  He has always been a proponent of the the internet, even tying it in with HAM radio early on.  I see two problems he may have with it.
Firstly, there is the question of callers.  Art likes to interact with his audience and would still need a switchboard of sorts...This may not be an issue, but it would probably be a requirement to be worthwhile to him.

Secondly, Art has radio waves in his blood.  The romantic and nostalgic feelings that radio must  illicit from him would be largely missing in some newer format... just some random thoughts.

Agreed, YNOT.  My gut feeling is that Art needs that broadcasting live from the high desert in the middle of the night  experience to really enjoy himself.  I feel the same way from a listener's standpoint.  Closing my eyes and thinking of England just doesn't have the same effect.  ;)

I have to say, I'm excited about the snippet from FB.

My gut feeling is that there is very, very good news on the horizon. I'm no expert at the legalities of contracts, how long it takes to set up an independent, sustainable and affordable radio station, build a support team, canvass networks and contacts and make a several-thousand mile journey back to your home and settle in a family - at 60+, but I'm betting it's a fairly sizeable chunk of day-hours.

I think Art's doing a combination of the above and he'll be back sooner rather than later :)

Art is doing his damndest to see this thread hit 100 pages

Quote from: Agent : Orange on August 03, 2011, 05:21:56 PM
Art is doing his damndest to see this thread hit 100 pages

Wait, what's that I hear?  Is it Portland sources murmuring? 
Yes.  Yes.  I think they're saying that Art will have a special announcement as soon as this thread hits page number 100!     :P

MV/Liberace!

Would rock if he would create an account here and announce whatever he's going to announce. I know... dreams...

Sent from my Droid X.

jemmbw

I love Art Bell and would like to see him return. However, if he's had enough I wish him an enjoyable retirement. BUT PLEASE HELP US GET RID OF GEORGE NOORY..HE'S RUINED THE SHOW. I used to listen every night. Now only when Mr. Noory is NOT hosting. Think of all the advertising I don't hear
, Premiere Radio Network executives!

Area51

Quote from: jemmbw on August 03, 2011, 07:59:33 PM
I love Art Bell and would like to see him return. However, if he's had enough I wish him an enjoyable retirement. BUT PLEASE HELP US GET RID OF GEORGE NOORY..HE'S RUINED THE SHOW. I used to listen every night. Now only when Mr. Noory is NOT hosting. Think of all the advertising I don't hear
, Premiere Radio Network executives!
I have to agree. I only listen on occasion when George Knapp is on, but 99 percent of the time I listen to Arts old recordings.

b_dubb

hey have you guys heard?  Art Bell quit Coast!!!

rbduck

Ditto. I would rather listen to Art's old shows 50 times over rather than hear GN. At least Art tried to keep different subjects rotating. GN talks about the same stuff over and over. Either he has not a creative bone in his body or people just don't want to be on his show. Not even Mel and his hole. Dang that's bad!!!

rbduck

Until I found this board I didn't know much about Art's personal life. I have listened to him long enough to remember him mentioning his son once just prior to his two week retirement in the late 90's. Yes, he has accomplished much in his life, but there is no excuse for neglecting your children, in any way, EVER !!!
As far as his reconnecting with them in his life now, would be a good idea , even if it is only trying.
As someone else posted, it's really none of my business.

It strikes home with me because my wife has an uncle that is quite parallel to Art's, as far as his personal life goes and it's quite sad. He has children all over and most he wouldn't send 20 bucks to put a fire on one of them out if they needed it. He is married to an Asian and may be kin to Art's wife. you never know. He is quite well off and could probably could do a better job at c2cam than George. He can talk about any subject and can drone on for hours on the phone without taking a breath. He is entertaining.  Anyway, that's my opinion for what it's worth.  (cha ching....two cents) :'(

Quote from: Harmness on August 01, 2011, 03:27:07 PM
Son of a bitch!  Anyone know how to erase notches from a headboard?

Wood putty!       ;)