• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Foodlion

Quote from: karios8 on August 01, 2013, 06:59:50 PM
I look forward to the day Dave runs out of cards and says "Let's go to the phones" and there are no callers to bail him out.
That's the day Tommy does his first female caller impersonation from the studio broom closet.

phrodo

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on August 01, 2013, 08:52:56 PM
I went to check this stat, but it appears the Ian Punnett page has been completely wiped from the C2C site.

Anyway, I did find this:

On March 19th, 2000, Ian Punnett made his C2C hosting debut and, in the subsequent 13 years, he hosted a whopping 479 editions of the program as well as 69 episodes of the spin-off show Coast to Coast Live.

Ian's archives are still on the C2C site under Shows>Show Archive then scroll down to By Host click Ian Punnett and there's 383 shows listed of which you can go back three years to listen.

ItsOver

Quote from: Foodlion on August 01, 2013, 09:02:01 PM
That's the day Tommy does his first female caller impersonation from the studio broom closet.

...or he can do an Alex Baldwin and have his mother call in.  ;)

morphiaflow

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on August 01, 2013, 08:53:19 PM
Exactly. Ian answered a direct question in a classy way.  The same folks who are always knocking him also all seem to be Knapp fans.  Well, Knapp is still with Coast.  Where is all the outrage from his fans here?

I'm a major Knapp fan and I don't really have a problem with Ian. I maybe cared for him a little less than Art or Knapp, but I can definitely listen to him without wincing or cringing, and he's certainly not guilty of the various degrees of the blandness, arrogance, incompetence, corruption and stupidity of Wells or Noory, though I would agree with the characterization someone else made that he's a little smug, and I honestly wasn't as interested in most of the topics he covered. But I still liked him. As I've said, my issues stem from what I perceived as a bit of a dig at Art. Others interpreted another way. I'm not in the man's heart and mind, so who knows.

And yes, Knapp is still with Coast. I believe that will change soon, whichever side initiates it. (I think it's more likely to be Coast's, unless his contract allows for him to be part of both shows, as his comments seem to indicate.) But even if it doesn't, which I think is unlikely since I am convinced they want to get it down to Dave weekdays, Wells weekends, I will still listen to any Coast episode that Knapp hosts. And I will simply regard him as the last tenuous connection to Art that Coast still has. And that alone may be a reason why he would WANT to stay. And I'm OK with that.

ItsOver

I've found it amusing PremRat, for all of these years, has been airing SIT instead of past Dave shows.  PremRat has found it preferable to air Art's old shows, some that have been well over 15 years old, instead of Dave's supposedly "classic" shows from more recent years.  Even the rats at PremRat know that Dave is no Art.

jazmunda

I find it bizarre that anyone can air a show from 15 years ago without a disclaimer every 5 minutes. A casual listener stumbling upon some of those shows might think they have stepped through a vortex and gone back to a time where comets have spaceship companions and presidents do the wild thing in the oval office.

ItsOver

Quote from: morphiaflow on August 01, 2013, 09:04:13 PM
I'm a major Knapp fan and I don't really have a problem with Ian....

Same here.  I never had a real problem with Punnett.  At least he put in the effort and didn't "mail it in."  He had a number of interesting shows over the years and could run rings around Dave.  He had his quirks but at least he had a personality and wasn't a phony shill like Dave.

bateman

Quote from: ItsOver on August 01, 2013, 09:09:08 PM
I've found it amusing PremRat, for all of these years, has been airing SIT instead of past Dave shows.  PremRat has found it preferable to air Art's old shows, some that have been 15 years ago or longer, instead of Dave's supposedly "classic" shows from more recent years.  Even the rats at PremRat know that Dave is no Art.

But they'll stick it out with Dave because they pay him this:

and they were paying Art this:

Pablo Smash

Quote from: morphiaflow on August 01, 2013, 08:47:22 PM
Fan-freaking-tastic. :) Thank you for finding this out for us all!
George Knapp may have interpreted the "if he would be allowed to be on Arts show" as meaning if he (Knapp) could be a guest.
Art did interview Knapp at least once before

jazmunda

Quote from: bateman on August 01, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

Actually it would be interesting to know what their comparable salaries were. Perhaps Art was pissed at PremRad because Dave was getting more than he was at his height. Doubtful but perhaps Art did leave over money.

ItsOver

Quote from: bateman on August 01, 2013, 09:16:38 PM

That is one thing that is "classic" about Dave.  Dave is the classic example of getting what you pay for.  Then again, I personally wouldn't pay Dave a cent for his craptastic version of C2C.  PremRat should be demanding a refund from Dave.

DesertFox

I have zero problem with what Ian said and I still consider him a very classy guy.

ItsOver

Quote from: Pablo Smash on August 01, 2013, 09:19:15 PM
George Knapp may have interpreted the "if he would be allowed to be on Arts show" as meaning if he (Knapp) could be a guest.
Art did interview Knapp at least once before

Realizing he's still with PremRat, Clyde Lewis had a very enjoyable interview with Knapp not long ago. 

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on August 01, 2013, 09:19:26 PM
Actually it would be interesting to know what their comparable salaries were. Perhaps Art was pissed at PremRad because Dave was getting more than he was at his height. Doubtful but perhaps Art did leave over money.

Not a chance. Of course I don't know the actual number, but I imagine Art's salary to have been well into the 7, maybe even 8 figure range, based on knowledge of other radio salaries. Dave gets AFTRA base rate; maybe a little more than that if he's been a good boy all year. At AFTRA base rate of $250-350 per show, hell, let's even say he gets $1000 a show, that puts him in the very low 6 figure range. And he knows he's lucky to get even that, so he doesn't rock the boat.

phrodo

Quote from: jazmunda on August 01, 2013, 09:14:23 PM
I find it bizarre that anyone can air a show from 15 years ago without a disclaimer every 5 minutes. A casual listener stumbling upon some of those shows might think they have stepped through a vortex and gone back to a time where comets have spaceship companions and presidents do the wild thing in the oval office.

What really annoys the hell outta me is that I pay to listen to SIT but can't download them ... and nearly every break has NUMEROUS promos hawking 'coast insider' subscriptions. Duh - if it's an archive from the site the listener is already a member so whydahell is there so damn many promos - or for that matter any promos at all????

Quote from: morphiaflow on August 01, 2013, 09:04:13 PM
I'm a major Knapp fan and I don't really have a problem with Ian. I maybe cared for him a little less than Art or Knapp, but I can definitely listen to him without wincing or cringing, and he's certainly not guilty of the various degrees of the blandness, arrogance, incompetence, corruption and stupidity of Wells or Noory, though I would agree with the characterization someone else made that he's a little smug, and I honestly wasn't as interested in most of the topics he covered. But I still liked him. As I've said, my issues stem from what I perceived as a bit of a dig at Art. Others interpreted another way. I'm not in the man's heart and mind, so who knows.

And yes, Knapp is still with Coast. I believe that will change soon, whichever side initiates it. (I think it's more likely to be Coast's, unless his contract allows for him to be part of both shows, as his comments seem to indicate.) But even if it doesn't, which I think is unlikely since I am convinced they want to get it down to Dave weekdays, Wells weekends, I will still listen to any Coast episode that Knapp hosts. And I will simply regard him as the last tenuous connection to Art that Coast still has. And that alone may be a reason why he would WANT to stay. And I'm OK with that.
I like Knapp fine, but I find he only excels with a very narrow range of topics - UFO's, hi tech conspiracy stuff, and fringe science among them.  I just think a lot of folks here give him a free pass.  There is greater scrutiny of Art, and everyone here freaking loves Art.

I wish Ian Well, and hope he gets well enough to return to the airwaves one day.

BTW, love the Geddy avatar, and glad you are posting regularly again.

scottydawg

Well talking about calling it HeadtoHead for Dave's show, I think it should it should be renamed "Ass to Mouth AM" because Davey spews crap from both ends! BTW, hows that "incomeathome.com" stuff working for you?

jazmunda

Quote from: phrodo on August 01, 2013, 09:27:27 PM
What really annoys the hell outta me is that I pay to listen to SIT but can't download them ... and nearly every break has NUMEROUS promos hawking 'coast insider' subscriptions. Duh - if it's an archive from the site the listener is already a member so whydahell is there so damn many promos - or for that matter any promos at all????

I want someone to create a program that erases George's voice over promos from my Art Bell mp3 files.

It really harshes my buzz.

MV and themudking - does Fire Fub do this?

bateman

Quote from: scottydawg on August 01, 2013, 09:30:16 PM
Well talking about calling it HeadtoHead for Dave's show, I think it should it should be renamed "Ass to Mouth AM" because Davey spews crap from both ends! BTW, hows that "incomeathome.com" stuff working for you?

I just scared my dog laughing like a maniac.

bateman

Quote from: jazmunda on August 01, 2013, 09:31:11 PM
I want someone to create a program that erases George's voice over promos from my Art Bell mp3 files.

I've deleted every George promo I've found in downloaded Art shows. I can't listen to even a minute of that imbecile's voice asking me "Aren't you forgetting something? YESSSSS, you are, blahahahstreamlinkafterdarknewsletter..." Makes me want to punch myself in the dick.

jazmunda

Upcoming show list is up and SIT is on the menu: http://www.coasttocoastam.com/shows/upcoming

For those who do not want to see Dave's face on the C2CAM website here is the SIT episode details:

6-10pm PT: Art Bell - Somewhere in Time returns to 9/20/95 when end-of-the-world scenarios and speculations are shared by Larry Wilson and callers.

Once again this is a "new" classic Art Bell show that does not exist in any of the torrents/file sharing/streams/You Tube highlighting the importance of these continuing to air. Having said that I fear we only have a few more weeks to collect these classic gems before they are gone forever.

Knob to Knob
Knob to Head
Knob vs Knobb
Knobjobb vs TBA

Quote from: jazmunda on August 01, 2013, 09:41:22 PM
For those who do want to see Dave's face on the C2CAM website here is the SIT episode details:

I swear he has the Ayatollah Khomeni complex. Fucking J`eorge

ringthane

Quote from: RealCool Daddio on August 01, 2013, 09:29:13 PMBTW, love the Geddy avatar, and glad you are posting regularly again.

Speaking of Ged, your Corgan avatar reminded me of a version of Limelight he did that I heard years back. Knowing me back then, I probably hated it (I think I threw a fit and stopped listening when I realized Corgan wasn't playing it in 7/4); knowing me now, I may dig it.

Knapp -- yeah, he's pretty narrow... the dude knows his rubric. As far as him getting a pass, I can't think of anything to really knock him on... he's a little clinical. Can't say the guy doesn't do his homework or show prep. Maybe he's had some 'rough' shows but I can't say I've heard them.

Robert1972

I'm going to try and call in tonight and call him Dave

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: jazmunda on August 01, 2013, 09:31:11 PM

MV and themudking - does Fire Fub do this?

FireFub can do it, but unfortunately, FF only runs on the PDP-8... so you could face difficulties.

Robert1972

Off work tomorrow so have all night to try

bateman

Quote from: MV on August 01, 2013, 09:51:30 PM
FireFub can do it, but unfortunately, FF only runs on the PDP-8... so you could face difficulties.

I've heard so much about this lately & still have no idea what it is.

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: bateman on August 01, 2013, 09:54:02 PM
I've heard so much about this lately & still have no idea what it is.

It's a new web browser developed by themudking and me. It will change the world.

Spinner

Quote from: GalacticDude on August 01, 2013, 08:42:32 PM
I asked George Knapp on twitter if he would be allowed to be on Arts show.

His response:
"I imagine I would be able to do the show. No one has told me otherwise"
Excellent!
Thanks for posting that, GalacticDude