George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

JohnnieB

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 15, 2012, 11:20:15 AM
Last night's show was about angels?

I thought it was a "meet and greet" phone call the Valentine's Eve matchmaker lady had set up between Snoory and Lanigan. 

She must have been mightily impressed. 

Me, not so much. 

In order for any woman to be set up with Noory and get through a date or conversation with him she'd either have to have her brains blown out or presented with a very large box of assorted and yummy chocolates and a mug of beer...she would be far too busy chewin', munchin', crunchin', and swallowin' and guzzlin' to pay him any mind.

And...speaking of beer....hmmm.

fysisist

^^^^ I don't think a bottle of Ruffies could get a woman through a date with the Noordster.

Vatar

Quote from: fysisist on February 15, 2012, 02:42:36 PM
^^^^ I don't think a bottle of Ruffies could get a woman through a date with the Noordster.

I have a feeling this pickup line is how George gets women back to his place.
"Could you tell me ma'am does this handkerchief smell like chloroform?"

JohnnieB

Quote from: fysisist on February 15, 2012, 02:42:36 PM

How about a large bag of Ruffles potato chips? Just askin'.

Quote from: Vatar on February 15, 2012, 02:45:34 PM
I have a feeling this pickup line is how George gets women back to his place.
"Could you tell me ma'am does this handkerchief smell like chloroform?"

or, "Betty, could you tell me if these Cheetos smell exactly like these sweaty black dress socks I wore to work today? Here...smell these socks..breathe deeply...and tell me if they don't smell exactly like hot Cheetos cheese mixed with toe jam."  The woman promptly and mercifully passes out.

Morgus

Quote from: fysisist on February 15, 2012, 02:28:25 PM
If those are his dating experience stories, I wonder what his marriage stories are about?  He has a couple kids I think, so he supposedly was married.  One can only imagine...
probably was an old fashioned arranged marriage by his parents when Noory was very young?  8)

Quote from: Morgus on February 15, 2012, 02:51:45 PM
probably was an old fashioned arranged marriage by his parents when Noory was very young?  8)

But what about the second time?

George once said sumpthin' about after his second (or have there been 3?) divorce, that he 'wanted tuh date uh lotta women'.  No word on how that worked out for him though.

Tara

Quote from: Morgus on February 15, 2012, 02:51:45 PM

Actually, you're probably right.  I recall Noory once stating that he married and had his kids (3?) at a very young age. 

McPhallus

Quote from: Jasmine on February 15, 2012, 02:18:35 PM
Oh, JohnnieB, if only you and the other guys knew what we dames schemed at and pulled off in order to emerge from the dating jungle alive!

It's amazing how much you girls communicate by what you do NOT say and do.  And equally amazing how often guys misread the cues. :)

Scully

Presumably, this is the "little redheaded wife" I once heard Noory refer to.  He said he wanted to throw over his shoulder and get her out of some conversation that was embarrassing him.  Good ole Jorch.  :)

11angeleyes11

Quote from: Scully on February 15, 2012, 05:01:56 PM
Presumably, this is the "little redheaded wife" I once heard Noory refer to.  He said he wanted to throw over his shoulder and get her out of some conversation that was embarrassing him.  Good ole Jorch.  :)

Folks, I am sorry that is not George's wife.  That is Richard Dolan's wife, Karyn (not sure on that spelling).  She was at some conference or talkfest.  I have seen her and spoken to her before at a conference or two.   She is a very nice person, she is standing next to George.

VtaGeezer

Lanigan validates my thoughts about writers of pot-boilers.  Anything for a buck.

b_dubb

Johnnieb I feel like if Noory were having a convo with anyone he'd just seen a movie it would go something like this:

Quote from: Noorythat was some movie
Quote from: victimuhh sure
Quote from: Noorywhat was it about?

Quote from: stevesh on February 15, 2012, 07:33:41 AM
two hours mostly about Simple George's life and Ms. Lanigan's family troubles. Very little about angels, which is fine with me, but last night the alternative was even more boring.

Speaking of boring, I just read on the c2c website that the first hour tonight is going to be about student loan debt.  Sure its a problem, but is it interesting???    :(

b_dubb

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on February 15, 2012, 10:00:39 PM
Speaking of boring, I just read on the c2c website that the first hour tonight is going to be about student loan debt.  Sure its a problem, but is it interesting???    :(

radio stations must be desperate for shit to broadcast at night.  that's gotta be it

Sardondi

Quote from: Paper*Boy on February 15, 2012, 02:05:54 PM...George has claimed to have had at least one other date.  An elaborate story about why she was in his bedroom before they even went out - something in the main bathroom wasn't working...
Well...yeah - she was a maid. George has found it simplifies his life to just offer them money.

Seems I remember a quote from one of George's little known books, which was apparently quite popular for awhile in the late 60's, The Swinging Dude's Guide To How To Pick Up Chicks*: "I don't like to bother with any tiresome small talk or awkward get-to-know-you chitchat. I've found maids are always around the office, and usually quite reasonable about fees. And you don't have to pretend you like them - I do enough of that bs on the job."

*Available for $1.95 plus $29.95 handling & shipping from Gold Neck Chain Books, Pahrump, NV 89041

What an asshole

Researcher and investigator Joe Pullard on tonight, answering Georges child-like questions as best he can, poor guy ("I hurd aliens crash landed thousands of years ago in china, Joe. Is that true?  :o"). Joe's got some notes prepared that he's rifling through, scrambling to find any bit of information on George's ridiculous question and they make a little bit of background noise, and George actually scolds him for having notes! "What is that you've got there? They are making an awful lot of noise...You are on LIVE RADIO Joe!" while Joe is apologizing profusely the whole time. It wasn't even loud!

How about YOU prepare some notes, George?!

I've never wished I could reach through my radio and strangle George more than right now. I haven't heard of this guy Pullard before, but he sounds like he is giving 100 percent of himself to this interview, and all George can do is try and make himself sound smart, and then yell at his guest for trying to be prepared. ANYONE would be better than Noory.

Hmm, something to ponder - are there different levels of suckage with George, depending on the topic?

stevesh

More annoying than boring. This sap had a problem paying his student loans years ago and has made his failure into a national 'problem'. I'm sure that fraud and collection abuse happens with student loans (as with all lending), but making them dischargable in bankruptcy is a terrible idea, IMO, especially since the losses will be made up by you and me, the US taxpayers (and not 'the government' as the guest and Stupid George kept saying).

The guy said that the average student loan recipient graduates with around $27K in debt. That doesn't seem like too much for a college education, and doesn't strike me as all that difficult for a responsible person to pay back. Lots of people, including recent college graduates, spend more than that on a car, and seem to find the money to make the payments.

I think the whole 'student loan crisis' is mostly about the immaturity of the borrowers.

valdez

Quote from: thefamilyghost on February 16, 2012, 02:00:27 AM
...ANYONE would be better than Noory.

I think this is the second time news guest, and young whipper snapper neo-con, Ryan Mauro, has been on.  He's got passion. Alan Collinge on the student loan fiasco, covered a few times on the show by both George and Ian.  Joe Bullard talked a lot about the coral castle phenomenon, and during the last hour he and a caller were talking about a book written by Ed Leedskalnin, the guy who built the castle, and how a symbol on the cover of the book may have been a clue as to what mystical energy was employed, and I was fascinated by this discussion, and I wanted to hear more, and George interupts them both with, "how many people are mesmerized by the castle that Ed built?"  Huh?  What?  First of all, its rude.  Second of all, it's a dumb question that can't be answered.  No one is going to be able to give George an exact number on that.  Ever.  And it's irrelevant.  Ugh.

JohnnieB

Researcher and investigator Joe Pullard on tonight, answering Georges child-like questions as best he can, poor guy ("I hurd aliens crash landed thousands of years ago in china, Joe. Is that true?  :o"). Joe's got some notes prepared that he's rifling through, scrambling to find any bit of information on George's ridiculous question and they make a little bit of background noise, and George actually scolds him for having notes! "What is that you've got there? They are making an awful lot of noise...You are on LIVE RADIO Joe!" while Joe is apologizing profusely the whole time. It wasn't even loud!

How about YOU prepare some notes, George?!

I've never wished I could reach through my radio and strangle George more than right now. I haven't heard of this guy Pullard before, but he sounds like he is giving 100 percent of himself to this interview, and all George can do is try and make himself sound smart, and then yell at his guest for trying to be prepared. ANYONE would be better than Noory.

I heard this as well and was utterly appalled at George's blatant unprofessional behaviour (what else is new?) and how damn rude he was. I actually fired off an email to him and his useless producers about that.

Quote from: stevesh on February 16, 2012, 05:38:31 AM
The guy said that the average student loan recipient graduates with around $27K in debt. That doesn't seem like too much for a college education, and doesn't strike me as all that difficult for a responsible person to pay back. Lots of people, including recent college graduates, spend more than that on a car, and seem to find the money to make the payments.

I think the whole 'student loan crisis' is mostly about the immaturity of the borrowers.

Well, I'm certainly not going to paint all the students with the same proverbial brush that many are inclined to do, but I will say that in regards to immaturity, I find far, far too many students don't have the maturity and life experience in regards to selecting a suitable realm of studies or even the right college/university. In my humble opinion, 17 years old (average) is by far too young to invest the time and money into what these kids (yes, KIDS) believe in their minds is a life career choice - and in many cases not being mentally equipped to excel in the chosen field of study. And yes, responsibility for this gross premature entry into post-secondary studies must lie with the parent/parents, too, who are, in many cases, failing to properly counsel and guide their children to the right path, education-wise. These parents and their offspring must take responsibility for their decisions when they sign on the dotted line for the student loans and DO THE MATH in regards to interest rates. I have to concur with stevesh - I have little sympathy for a large percentage of these students who default on their student loans.

Gassy Man

Quote from: stevesh on February 16, 2012, 05:38:31 AM
More annoying than boring. This sap had a problem paying his student loans years ago and has made his failure into a national 'problem'. I'm sure that fraud and collection abuse happens with student loans (as with all lending), but making them dischargable in bankruptcy is a terrible idea, IMO, especially since the losses will be made up by you and me, the US taxpayers (and not 'the government' as the guest and Stupid George kept saying).

The problem I have with these discussions is the underlying assumption of entitlement that comes with a college degree -- that so long as a person gets one, there has to be a job waiting for them.  That's ridiculous.  A degree helps to prepare a person to compete; what it really does significantly better is prepare one to lead a fuller and richer life.  But the mentality among many people is all that it is is a piece of paper required for work.  Consequently, a lot of students don't really learn anything -- they cram, cheat, cajole, negotiate, and speed through in their programs, get out, and find that they aren't competitive.  They send out applications with typos, ignore opportunities to get work experience while studying, take the easiest instructors (ones who dismiss class early, give out answers to tests, want to be buddies rather than instructors, etc.), and complain because they are "customers" when they don't get their way instead of doing the work.  Of course, rather than blame themselves, they blame higher education for somehow letting them down.

The loan situation is atrocious but not because loans are unfair but because too many people who fit into what I describe take them out with little hope of anything positive being on the other end.  The idea of loans makes sense -- making someone take ownership of their future should encourage them to work harder to make that future happen.  But it's easy to see the problem when people aren't ready for that.

Gassy Man

Quote from: JohnnieB on February 16, 2012, 09:18:40 AM
I heard this as well and was utterly appalled at George's blatant unprofessional behaviour (what else is new?) and how damn rude he was. I actually fired off an email to him and his useless producers about that.

Well, I'm certainly not going to paint all the students with the same proverbial brush that many are inclined to do, but I will say that in regards to immaturity, I find far, far too many students don't have the maturity and life experience in regards to selecting a suitable realm of studies or even the right college/university. In my humble opinion, 17 years old (average) is by far too young to invest the time and money into what these kids (yes, KIDS) believe in their minds is a life career choice - and in many cases not being mentally equipped to excel in the chosen field of study. And yes, responsibility for this gross premature entry into post-secondary studies must lie with the parent/parents, too.

In short, we can hardly be surprised at the level of student debt, drop outs, and how unprepared they are for life in many respects when they enter colleges and universities as 17 year old KIDS. I mean, come on, I think many families need to do some serious reality checks.
I'm tenured at a community college and taught part-time for years as well at the big university where I did my graduate work; I score for Advanced Placement tests and have friends who teach around the country and the world -- I can tell you immaturity is not just an issue with 17-year-olds.  I and friends get plenty of 30-, 40-, and 50-year-olds that are just as clueless these days and just as immature.  It's not age that's so much the problem but a misalignment about expectations, and we're increasingly -- especially at the two-year colleges -- getting students who are fundamentally unprepared for the rigors of college in both skill and attitude . . . at the same time that grade inflation, the-customer-is-always-right entitlements, and shifting demographics are making education less important than getting college degrees.  The college degree has gone "mainstream" in a very bad way.

JohnnieB

Quote from: Gassy Man on February 16, 2012, 09:30:24 AM
I'm tenured at a community college and taught part-time for years as well at the big university where I did my graduate work; I score for Advanced Placement tests and have friends who teach around the country and the world -- I can tell you immaturity is not just an issue with 17-year-olds.  I and friends get plenty of 30-, 40-, and 50-year-olds that are just as clueless these days and just as immature.  It's not age that's so much the problem but a misalignment about expectations, and we're increasingly -- especially at the two-year colleges -- getting students who are fundamentally unprepared for the rigors of college in both skill and attitude . . . at the same time that grade inflation, the-customer-is-always-right entitlements, and shifting demographics are making education less important than getting college degrees.  The college degree has gone "mainstream" in a very bad way.

Absolutely correct assessment and observation, Gassy Man, and I completely concur with your views. I completely and momentarily omitted the older demographics from this equation. Thank you for pointing that out. A good friend of mine is department head (journalism) at a college, and she has stated the same thing you have. She's also appalled by the extreme lack of reading and writing skills (basic grammar and sentence structure) that she observes across the age board - she claims many have the skills of junior high level students - if that. That, and the fact that many of the students can't seem to formulate an objective and coherent opinion about practically anything. Pretty frightening.

Just as frightening...if George Noory elected to open his own College of Radio Broadcasting! It would be like the Ted Baxter School of Broadcasting from HELL!

Lovely Bones

Quote from: JohnnieB on February 16, 2012, 09:42:40 AM
She's also appalled by the extreme lack of reading and writing skills (basic grammar and sentence structure) that she observes across the age board - she claims many have the skills of junior high level students - if that. That, and the fact that many of the students can't seem to formulate an objective and coherent opinion about practically anything. Pretty frightening.

Your friend's observation is absolutely accurate, Johnnie.  The honors students are the only ones able to approximate anything approaching literacy, but even they strike me for the most part much like what the "typical" college student was, say, 40 years ago when it comes to articulation of ideas. 

What's worse, I did a lot of training of new teachers (grad student TA's) and found myself constantly appalled by how little they knew about the subject matter they were to be imparting to their young charges.  Their comments on student papers would entirely miss fundamentals like failure to establish a focused thesis--or would reveal their own ignorance with statements like, "You have a lot of punctuation problems but I can't think of any except use a comma before the word 'and.'" 

Aaaargh.  We are a nation of illiterates who are unable to think.

And perhaps this is the root of George Noory's apparent popularity.  The majority can relate to him.  We are the odd men (and women) out. 

Gassy Man

Quote from: JohnnieB on February 16, 2012, 09:42:40 AM
Absolutely correct assessment and observation, Gassy Man, and I completely concur with your views. I completely and momentarily omitted the older demographics from this equation. Thank you for pointing that out. A good friend of mine is department head (journalism) at a college, and she has stated the same thing you have. She's also appalled by the extreme lack of reading and writing skills (basic grammar and sentence structure) that she observes across the age board - she claims many have the skills of junior high level students - if that. That, and the fact that many of the students can't seem to formulate an objective and coherent opinion about practically anything. Pretty frightening.

Just as frightening...if George Noory elected to open his own College of Radio Broadcasting! It would be like the Ted Baxter School of Broadcasting from HELL!
Thanks, JohnnieB -- a part of me feels like a snob when I make these claims, but the truth is, everyone suffers if we graduate people who don't know anything or lack the initiative to get their lives going, especially since public college students are so generously subsidized by tax dollars.  Colleges and universities have always had slackers and remedials, but the numbers now are outrageous, especially in community colleges, where we let you in as long as you can fog a mirror.  I teach at one because I believe everyone should have an opportunity to prove themselves -- the problem is we keep too many who can't, mostly because they kick and scream if you tell them the truth about their abilities.  It's gotten really bad, too -- I read of a study recently that said an "A" is the most common grade awarded in higher education.

About the loan situation -- for-profit colleges, mostly online, are the most guilty of pushing loans, but we also get students who take out huge loans and then never show up again for class, earning a failing grade -- basically they want the money and don't care if they default because they figure they really don't have anything to repossess and it is easier to get a student loan than other consumer loans.

Lovely Bones

Briefly switching topics, back to Snoory's . . . um . . .  love of animals:

On his opening news segment last night, he recounted that a groomer at one of those discount pet stores had mutilated two dogs, one to the point of cutting off its ear and then (I am not making this up) attempting to glue the ear back on before returning said dog to its owner. 

No commentary from George.  No horror expressed.  No legal eagle to discuss a case against the groomer, not even for 30 seconds. 

Some animal lover.  He just likes the shock and awe of these animal mutilation stories.  No wonder he digs LMH and her cattle mutilation stories. 

fysisist

ANYONE would be better than Noory.

Further, even NO ONE would be better than Noory, just let the guest do a monologue on his/her topic.

Wild Card Guy

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 16, 2012, 11:36:39 AM
Briefly switching topics, back to Snoory's . . . um . . .  love of animals:

On his opening news segment last night, he recounted that a groomer at one of those discount pet stores had mutilated two dogs, one to the point of cutting off its ear and then (I am not making this up) attempting to glue the ear back on before returning said dog to its owner. 

No commentary from George.  No horror expressed.  No legal eagle to discuss a case against the groomer, not even for 30 seconds. 

Some animal lover.  He just likes the shock and awe of these animal mutilation stories.  No wonder he digs LMH and her cattle mutilation stories. 

Lovely Bones, I heard that, too. You know (and as many of us do know), one significant element about one's character in terms of assessing them is how he or she relates to animals and their overall thoughts about them. And to me, nothing sends out a more dark and adverse message about one's character than their sick obsession with animals being harmed in any way whatsoever. As an avid dog lover, George's sociopathic and demented persona speaks volumes when he reads these horrific animal stories on-air. I know I've said this before, but allow me to reiterate - Noory is one sick and twisted human being.

By the way, Lovely Bones, Stevesh, Gassy Man, and JohnnieB, I read all of your posts in regards to college students and the current state of malaise that exists on campuses and in students mind-sets, and I agree with all of your individual and collective opinions. We're indeed residing in a dark age.

Jasmine

Quote from: McPhallus on February 15, 2012, 04:41:05 PM
It's amazing how much you girls communicate by what you do NOT say and do.  And equally amazing how often guys misread the cues. :)

LOL! So true. I'm afraid, Mr. McPhallus, that the female species is a most complicated one (of our own doing), and at times most unbecoming to the male species...and to other members of the female tribe. Which explains why almost all of my closest friends are of the male persuasion. I have found that, with men, for the most part, you know where you stand on almost all issues. With women? Ah, now, there's the quintessential paradox!

Quote from: Gassy Man on February 16, 2012, 10:20:32 AM
Thanks, JohnnieB -- a part of me feels like a snob when I make these claims, but the truth is, everyone suffers if we graduate people who don't know anything or lack the initiative to get their lives going, especially since public college students are so generously subsidized by tax dollars.  Colleges and universities have always had slackers and remedials, but the numbers now are outrageous, especially in community colleges, where we let you in as long as you can fog a mirror.  I teach at one because I believe everyone should have an opportunity to prove themselves -- the problem is we keep too many who can't, mostly because they kick and scream if you tell them the truth about their abilities.  It's gotten really bad, too -- I read of a study recently that said an "A" is the most common grade awarded in higher education.

About the loan situation -- for-profit colleges, mostly online, are the most guilty of pushing loans, but we also get students who take out huge loans and then never show up again for class, earning a failing grade -- basically they want the money and don't care if they default because they figure they really don't have anything to repossess and it is easier to get a student loan than other consumer loans.

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 16, 2012, 10:08:14 AM
Your friend's observation is absolutely accurate, Johnnie.  The honors students are the only ones able to approximate anything approaching literacy, but even they strike me for the most part much like what the "typical" college student was, say, 40 years ago when it comes to articulation of ideas. 

What's worse, I did a lot of training of new teachers (grad student TA's) and found myself constantly appalled by how little they knew about the subject matter they were to be imparting to their young charges.  Their comments on student papers would entirely miss fundamentals like failure to establish a focused thesis--or would reveal their own ignorance with statements like, "You have a lot of punctuation problems but I can't think of any except use a comma before the word 'and.'" 

Now here's a topic I can really sink my fangs...er...teeth into. Gassy Man and Lovely Bones, I agree with you both 100%, as I do with JohnnieB's take on the current college/student dilemma. I will spare you all my musing on this subject, as it's pretty much aligned with each one of yours. Suffice to say during my university years I found myself amidst classmates who truly made me question why I and my parents invested so much in my post-secondary education. Immaturity (for the most part) pretty much sums up my then campus environment. I couldn't be a prof in a college or university today...I'd pretty much suffer from lecture hall rage during my first day!

Quote from: Lovely Bones on February 16, 2012, 10:08:14 AM
Aaaargh.  We are a nation of illiterates who are unable to think.

And perhaps this is the root of George Noory's apparent popularity.  The majority can relate to him.  We are the odd men (and women) out. 

True. I truly believe the latest figures re illiteracy in this country do not reflect the true numbers.

I also think Lovely Bones hit the nail on the head re odd ones out. Aside from my family, fiance, and small group of close friends, I've personally always felt like the odd ball (square peg) throughout the course of my life. That said, after looking around and assessing the majority, I'm damn proud and lucky to be amongst the elite odd ones out.  :)

Quote from: Wild Card Guy on February 16, 2012, 02:01:45 PM
Lovely Bones, I heard that, too. You know (and as many of us do know), one significant element about one's character in terms of assessing them is how he or she relates to animals and their overall thoughts about them. And to me, nothing sends out a more dark and adverse message about one's character than their sick obsession with animals being harmed in any way whatsoever. As an avid dog lover, George's sociopathic and demented persona speaks volumes when he reads these horrific animal stories on-air. I know I've said this before, but allow me to reiterate - Noory is one sick and twisted human being.

I couldn't have put it better myself, Wild Card Guy. I and my beloved, sweet, and loyal pal border collie, Oliver Dickens, thank you.

JohnnieB

George Noory's hatred of animals is quite appalling, to say the least. As Wild Card Guy stated, his sickening "take" on animals and their plights reveal a very disturbing character flaw. Quite frankly, it gives me the creeps.

Quote from: Jasmine on February 16, 2012, 05:41:50 PM
LOL! So true. I'm afraid, Mr. McPhallus, that the female species is a most complicated one (of our own doing), and at times most unbecoming to the male species...and to other members of the female tribe. Which explains why almost all of my closest friends are of the male persuasion. I have found that, with men, for the most part, you know where you stand on almost all issues. With women? Ah, now, there's the quintessential paradox!

Hey, Jasmine? Would you like to come out here and give a lecture on women's issues to my single male friends...and even some married ones? They're in desperate need of enlightenment. I'll provide coffee, soda, and sandwiches. ;D

Here's my confusing word and its equally confusing definition of the day:

Rectilinear - "a tessellation of the Euclidean plane."

Now how on earth could someone use this word in a sentence that would include George Noory?