• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Condolences to George

Started by IvannZ, December 03, 2011, 08:44:26 PM

IvannZ

I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to George, and on behalf of the people on Coastgab, for the passing of his Father who was 88 years old. God bless you George! And not only that but George did the show last night despite this news. That shows the dedication George has to always make C2C one of the best quality programs on radio today.

Vatar

Trying ..... hard .... not .... to ..... troll grrrrrr

HAL 9000

Quote from: IvannZ on December 03, 2011, 08:44:26 PMAnd not only that but George did the show last night despite this news (that his dad died). That shows the dedication George has to always make C2C one of the best quality programs on radio today.

To my mind, that just shows what a twisted dumb fuck Snoory really is - to put a God-forsaken radio show ahead of your own flesh and blood - your father's death, is nearly unfathomable... unless, of course, you're an insatiable narcissist like the Snoron.

:o

Deepest condolences to George. I thought it was admirable for him to do the show under the circumstances and that he handled himself well. It's a horrible time in anyone's life and we all wind up having different methods of coping. It doesn't say anything whatever about George mourning or how he chooses to deal with the situation. I do think it speaks to his dedication to the program, whether I agree with the shows direction or not. I can put aside my personal opinions of George as a host and feel sympathy for him as a son. 

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 04, 2011, 12:11:20 AM
Deepest condolences to George. I thought it was admirable for him to do the show under the circumstances and that he handled himself well. It's a horrible time in anyone's life and we all wind up having different methods of coping. It doesn't say anything whatever about George mourning or how he chooses to deal with the situation. I do think it speaks to his dedication to the program, whether I agree with the shows direction or not. I can put aside my personal opinions of George as a host and feel sympathy for him as a son.

Agreed.

Quote from: HAL 9000 on December 03, 2011, 09:35:44 PM
To my mind, that just shows what a twisted dumb fuck Snoory really is - to put a God-forsaken radio show ahead of your own flesh and blood - your father's death, is nearly unfathomable... unless, of course, you're an insatiable narcissist like the Snoron.

:o

George's father was a very old man and from what it sounded like he has had health problems for a long time, so George would have seen this coming and have considered it. Of course the death of a very close family member is emotionally wracking and extremely difficult to deal with, but not impossible to prepare for if the signs are obvious.

I lost my Mother in 2003 from an awful drawn out battle with cancer. My family saw it coming and I knew it was going to happen. When it did, I was horribly distraught and struggling to deal with it. During this time I continued my studies, and I wrote final exams a week later though it was difficult for me to leave the house. Does that make me a narcissist as well?

I don't think George is putting the show ahead of his own flesh and blood, but it did seem like he was trying to deal with it. Everyone has to go on with their lives and it's not up to any of us to say how we deal with those situations when we're dropped into them.

Perhaps George will re-think the way he chooses and delivers news items involving the deaths of others.  Maybe he will reconsder the shabby 'tribute' shows he's done when so-called friends and long time guests die. 

I'm having a hard time having empathy for someone who shows none for others.  As he said so flippantly said to the frightened lady that called in the other night, 'everyone dies'.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Agent : Orange on December 04, 2011, 12:11:20 AM

Ditto. 

Lovely Bones

Quote from: Paper*Boy on December 04, 2011, 12:38:39 AM
Perhaps George will re-think the way he chooses and delivers news items involving the deaths of others.  Maybe he will reconsder the shabby 'tribute' shows he's done when so-called friends and long time guests die. 

I'm having a hard time having empathy for someone who shows none for others.  As he said so flippantly said to the frightened lady that called in the other night, 'everyone dies'.

At 61, George still had both his parents until this week.  That's a blessing most of us don't get to have.  Maybe he needed the lesson of his father's death to learn that you don't flippantly tell a frightened woman, "Everyone dies." 

stevesh

Quote from: IvannZ on December 03, 2011, 08:44:26 PM
and on behalf of the people on Coastgab

Nice sentiment, I guess, but please don't presume to speak for me.

I don't care about Noory's father, or his mother, or his dog. The host of an interview show should be as transparent as possible. I can't understand why listeners would want to hear Noory's lame and boring stories (even if they were interesting!) about his childhood, his TV work in Detroit, his show in St. Louis, which of his homes he's living in now and when he's going back to the other one, and, yes, the death of a member of his family.

Noory's job is to elicit as much information as possible from each of his guests. Period. The fact that he is incapable of doing so doesn't give him a pass when he starts blabbering about himself.

I don't know George Noory. I don't want to know George Noory. I don't want to know anything about the guy, and you can substitute the names of each of the other hosts in the above.

I'm trying to imagine someone like Brian Williams or Peter Jennings announce the death of his own father at the beginning of the news, then going on with the broadcast, and 'm coming up empty.

Frys Girl

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 04, 2011, 07:44:01 AM
At 61, George still had both his parents until this week.  That's a blessing most of us don't get to have.  Maybe he needed the lesson of his father's death to learn that you don't flippantly tell a frightened woman, "Everyone dies."
I thought this too. He is a lucky guy in this sense. I hope I can be as blessed.

I disagree with the author of this thread. Condolences, yes. Losing a loved one is always painful, and I hope George can get through it. But all that other crap about the best show yadda yadda, NO. Hell no.

11angeleyes11

Yes, George, heartfelt condolences to you.  You are such a trooper to blaze the hosting trail Friday night after receiving that life-altering news.
Nary few hosts could perform so eloquently under such trial and tribulation. 

Your return is awaited by many.

Peace.  (I am not a troll)

b_dubb

announcing that your father has passed on to a group of people you've never met, who never knew your father, and would likely never even become acquainted with just seems really really weird

I don't remember the "everyone dies" comment. I'll have to go and listen again. It is a good point that George had his immediate family for a very long time in his life.

Announcing this on the radio isn't that weird. I mean, Art used to tell stories about his cats, life experience, etc. It's weird because we don't usually hear details about Noory's life other than what happened to him at the cobblers, or somesuch.

Gassy Man

Quote from: b_dubb on December 04, 2011, 01:25:50 PM
announcing that your father has passed on to a group of people you've never met, who never knew your father, and would likely never even become acquainted with just seems really really weird

I don't know about that. He does talk about his parents and family from time to time, so to not acknowledge his death would be strange in case someone actually called in and asked how they were doing. I mean, Art certainly talks a lot about his family.....

The way he talked about it was weird though. It was as perfunctory as all his stories.

The General

I too give my condolences to George on the passing of his father.

he will be missed by many.

Vatar

Quote from: The General on December 04, 2011, 07:51:27 PM
I too give my condolences to George on the passing of his father.

he will be missed by many.

CS5 + Too much spare time = half of The General's posts   ;D

srnightowl

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 04, 2011, 07:44:01 AM

I'm thinking of that idea that a person never truely matures, regardless of their age, until the passing of their more influential parent, whether it be Mom or Dad...so, I'll interested in seeing if he goes through a "transformation"...

I am NOT looking forward to each and every caller saying "so sorry for your loss" (or whatever) for the next several months.  It goes without saying that most people are going to feel sympathy for someome who just lost a parent, but radio is radio.  When everyone says the same thing it gets old fast.  I hope George tells callers not to mention it just like Ian did with his hearing problem.

Morgus

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on December 05, 2011, 02:53:28 AM
I am NOT looking forward to each and every caller saying "so sorry for your loss" (or whatever) for the next several months.  It goes without saying that most people are going to feel sympathy for someome who just lost a parent, but radio is radio.  When everyone says the same thing it gets old fast.  I hope George tells callers not to mention it just like Ian did with his hearing problem.
it was already getting old just from the callers on Friday night.

WOTR

Quote from: DangerousBlossom on December 05, 2011, 02:53:28 AM
I found myself wanting to hit people who would say they were sorry or offer their condolences after dad passed away.  Everybody from long lost friends and people who barely knew him to the customer service representatives at the utility companies and the banks.  People who had no stake in his life or death (nor in mine) constantly offering their sympathies like little automatons was a little much.  When you call up to let the electric company know that they couldn't take automatic deductions from a bank account and that they would instead get a cheque for the next couple of months and have the operator say "I'm so sorry" was just insane.  Sorry because a man who you know only as a number on a balance sheet is no longer around to pay his electric bill is unacceptable.

I had to pull the feeding tube for him after a severe accident.  It was horrible and I missed him, but given the alternative (vegetative state with a nurse changing his diapers for years) I was not sorry; there is no reason for a bank teller to be.  Grandpa had emphysema and heart problems and chose to discontinue his pills.  While the family misses him it was nothing short of relief when he took his last breath.  Nobody who knew him was "sorry"; everybody who had never met him was.

I am friends with a funeral director.  Apparently they are trained (and forbidden) to say "my condolences" or "I'm so sorry for your loss."  They are not allowed because they make their living burring your loved one and they realize that it comes across as a little insincere to say they are sorry that a man they never met is no longer around one minute and requesting you pay your bill the next.  There is emotion, and many do care... but they are not "sorry".

With this in mind, I feel badly for George (as I would anybody who looses somebody close), but refuse to offer condolences or my sympathies.

sharkbait

Condolences to George for the loss of his father. Love him or hate him, whether you think he sucks or not, (which is not even a debate anymore...we all know the answer to that one), it's always hard to deal with the loss of a loved one. I don't know if I would've done a four hour show the evening of my father passing but like the wise man Gene Hackman said in The Firm, "People grieve in different ways."

As far as being a professional broadcaster, I'm trying to remember anybody ever mentioning the death of a parent or a loved one at the start of a broadcast but I can't recall one. I've heard hosts mention it at the end of a broadcast as they were signing off.

And not to sound insensitive, but everybody realizes we are now in for a gluttony of Angel and Afterlife topics for at least the next month.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: sharkbait on December 05, 2011, 09:46:04 AM

As far as being a professional broadcaster, I'm trying to remember anybody ever mentioning the death of a parent or a loved one at the start of a broadcast but I can't recall one. I've heard hosts mention it at the end of a broadcast as they were signing off.

I know Art talked a lot about Ramona's tragic and sudden death.  I don't, however, remember the details with regard to how he raised the topic on the radio.  I just remember feeling kicked in the gut for him and remember coming to realize over a series of shows that he was teetering on the edge.  While I was surprised by the quick marriage to Airyn, she pretty much saved him from going off the cliff, IMO. 

morphiaflow

I've been involved, for much of this year and acutely for the past month, in a constant bedside vigil, a daily, life-or-death struggle regarding my mother's health. We've all made our peace (as much as we can) and said our goodbyes more than once. But she's f**king tough, and stubborn. She's been pulled back from the brink several times and we are hoping and praying daily for a miracle that will put her in permanent positive turnaround. It's been an absolute rollercoaster that has taken its toll on my entire family--emotionally, financially, physically, psychologically, spiritually and in every other way. But as long as she's still fighting, so are we on her behalf. None of us are ready to lose her.

This situation, incidentally, is the primary reason for my absence from these boards of late.

So I wouldn't wish the pain, stress and trauma we are going through on anyone, including Mr. Noory, who, ultimately, in my life, is at worst an annoyance, guilty of being a bad radio host and a corporate tool. I may not care for his style, his agenda, or what he's done to my favorite radio show, but I don't hate the guy, and--however he handles it (or what we may THINK of how he handles it), I wish him and his family and loved ones my deepest, sincerest, most heartfelt condolences, for all that they are worth.

Silent

Quote from: Lovely Bones on December 05, 2011, 10:59:19 AM
I know Art talked a lot about Ramona's tragic and sudden death.  I don't, however, remember the details with regard to how he raised the topic on the radio.  I just remember feeling kicked in the gut for him and remember coming to realize over a series of shows that he was teetering on the edge.  While I was surprised by the quick marriage to Airyn, she pretty much saved him from going off the cliff, IMO.

I have that show somewhere around my HD.  He basically did an entire show dealing with her death.  It was his way of getting it into the open, discussing it, and then moving on.  Moving on as far as CTC was concerned.  He didn't want people calling to talk about it after that show and often requested that people avoided the topic.  It's been a while since I heard it but that's how I remember it going down.

sharkbait

Very well put Morphiaflow.

I went through the exact same thing eight years ago but it was both grandparents on my moms side of the family at the same time, and my grandpa had dementia. Don't know if it could be considered a blessing or not but at least half the time he didn't realize what was happening with him or my grandma. It's brutal and I wouldn't wish that on anybody, even Noory.

Thanks for helping me put it in perspective.

I hope your Mom pulls through.

morphiaflow

Thanks Sharkbait, I do too. "Good" has been a relative term given her situation, but today was a good day, and we're hoping that trend continues.

Lovely Bones

Quote from: morphiaflow on December 05, 2011, 08:36:42 PM
Thanks Sharkbait, I do too. "Good" has been a relative term given her situation, but today was a good day, and we're hoping that trend continues.

Morphia, I didn't think you and I had anything in common (being on rather opposite ends of the political spectrum), but your touching posts about your mom drive home how much we all as humans have in common with each other in this otherwise divided country. 

We've been going through a similar situation with my mother since last March.  I hope you're remembering to take care of yourself as well as your mom.  You're no help to anyone if you let yourself get run down and stressed out.  Take care.