• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

This Really Bothers Me

Started by Seamus Capone, June 17, 2011, 11:34:27 PM

Seamus Capone

Last night, one of Noory's first (ahem) news stories was about a crazed ferret who chewed up a toddler. I mistakenly thought that he reduced the number of his dead baby stories. He recently did shows on kids' ghosts and kids' NDEs too. He just mentioned, as I typed this post, that a toddler died in a faulty crib bed. Then, he  mentioned a study about toddlers and teens who saw their parents party to excess. The next item dealt with kids whose lemonade stand was closed by the law. They raised funds for pediatric AIDS BTW. That made three depressing articles, concerning youth, in a row. Are you like me in that you're bewildered and bugged by this ghoul's apparent obsession with dead/hurt/sick kids? He once mentioned that he worked at a station in Minnesota. He said that, when he worked there, a serial murderer targetted kids. Do you think that these unsolved (I think) horrid killings messed up Noory's psyche in some way?

It was Detroit, where Noory worked, and what he probably mentioned was that there was a serial killer in 76 and 77 who was killing kids... I was about the same age as the murdered kids and parents were freaking out, neighborhoods were freaking out, kids were freaking out.

Never caught the bastard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_County_Child_Killer

...I can't stand to listen to Noory & from what you've mentioned, I'm glad about it.

SheilaVG

That would bother me too if I listened that much to him. Maybe it's just the editor in me or I'm just getting old but anyone who can't pronounce Futon or a number of the other things he seems stumped by, isn't worth alot of my time. I generally just listen for a few minutes and take everything with a pound of salt.

He said the lemonade stand was to raise money for pediatric cancer research but who knows, maybe he changed it.

He is a walking infomercial and it would be nice to think some of the stories he lumps together are all part of a concerted effort to increase awareness of things.... anything.... but I don't think that much thought goes into what is given to him to read. Possibly because the people who pick the stuff know what kind of an intellect they are dealing with. I'm soo tired of him I even have to take a break from Ian who I love just so I don't burn out entirely on the show.

Usagi

No, you definitely aren't the only one.  I can't stand to hear stories like that (children murdered, hurt, etc.).  I fail to understand what purpose it serves.  It's also why I don't ever go to cable-news websites, because they love putting that shit up on the front page headlines.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: 999 on June 18, 2011, 03:37:48 AM
It was Detroit, where Noory worked, and what he probably mentioned was that there was a serial killer in 76 and 77 who was killing kids... I was about the same age as the murdered kids and parents were freaking out, neighborhoods were freaking out, kids were freaking out.

Never caught the bastard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_County_Child_Killer

...I can't stand to listen to Noory & from what you've mentioned, I'm glad about it.

Noory worked at KTSP in St. Paul in 1978. He and a Wiki entry both mentioned it. That said, it's possible that somebody conflated his stint in St. Paul with the crimes in Michigan. The Oakland County murders are much like the Peter Woodcock killings BTW.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: SheilaVG on June 18, 2011, 12:26:25 PM
That would bother me too if I listened that much to him. Maybe it's just the editor in me or I'm just getting old but anyone who can't pronounce Futon or a number of the other things he seems stumped by, isn't worth alot of my time. I generally just listen for a few minutes and take everything with a pound of salt.

He said the lemonade stand was to raise money for pediatric cancer research but who knows, maybe he changed it.

He is a walking infomercial and it would be nice to think some of the stories he lumps together are all part of a concerted effort to increase awareness of things.... anything.... but I don't think that much thought goes into what is given to him to read. Possibly because the people who pick the stuff know what kind of an intellect they are dealing with. I'm soo tired of him I even have to take a break from Ian who I love just so I don't burn out entirely on the show.

No, you're quite right. I mistakenly typed "AIDS" instead of "cancer", and I was too lazy to edit my post. The lemonade charity is a wonderful organization that does a lot of good for a lot of kids and families. It's a great experience for the kids who man the stands too.

I don't know who picks the "dead baby stories". It could be Noory or someone else. I just know that many people despise them. It's understandable if the articles are based on the big news of the day. It's admirable if Noory wants to alert people to safety hazards. It's *troubling* to hear minor news stories about ferrets that attack children. It makes you wonder why he would read such macabre and morbid stories on a routine basis. What other host (not just on Coast) does that?

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Usagi on June 18, 2011, 01:32:37 PM
No, you definitely aren't the only one.  I can't stand to hear stories like that (children murdered, hurt, etc.).  I fail to understand what purpose it serves.  It's also why I don't ever go to cable-news websites, because they love putting that shit up on the front page headlines.

There was a time when he read one or more stories like that each night. Some of them weren't even from The Drudge Report. There are so many cool paranormal and conspiracy news sites from which to glean fitting stories. You gotta wonder why they highlight the ghoulish, gory, gruesome stuff. Do they go to specific news sites to find those articles? Why do they think that anybody wants to hear about horrid and tragic things that happened to minors? It makes no sense! It's really a major pet peeve of mine, and I took off the gloves just *because* of the "dead baby stories", which I hate with the passion of a thousand yearning nuns.

Scully

I've told this story before on this board, but this thread brings it back to mind.  A year or two ago, Noory had a woman guest on who was from perhaps Africa or the Middle East, the kind of place where really horrible things happen in uprisings.  She told a very, very sad story which ended with, "and they raped them all ... even the children."

I literally gasped as Noory reacted by saying, "Um-hum.  Now let's go to the phone lines."  Whether he had totally tuned out to the very compelling story his guest had told or whether he just plain didn't give a damn, his lack of any true compassion makes me sick to this day.  :'(

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Scully on June 19, 2011, 06:35:47 PM
I've told this story before on this board, but this thread brings it back to mind.  A year or two ago, Noory had a woman guest on who was from perhaps Africa or the Middle East, the kind of place where really horrible things happen in uprisings.  She told a very, very sad story which ended with, "and they raped them all ... even the children."

I literally gasped as Noory reacted by saying, "Um-hum.  Now let's go to the phone lines."  Whether he had totally tuned out to the very compelling story his guest had told or whether he just plain didn't give a damn, his lack of any true compassion makes me sick to this day.  :'(

Speaking of things that make you gasp, Noory asked one of his guests, "is there a chance that the devil will win and all the children will be horribly butchered and burned alive?". That's an actual quote. It's not a paraphrase or a parody. I wouldn't even joke about something like that.

Why would he ask something like that? It's not the satanic victory part that confuses me, although that, in itself, is extremely strange. It's the other part that confounds me. Where do such disgusting and disturbing thoughts come from, and why would anyone entertain such fantasies? 

Quote from: Scully on June 19, 2011, 06:35:47 PM

:O

anagrammy

I do not remember Art ever using maimed children as an appropriate "paranormal news" item.  It is cheap sensationalism and is just another example of the quality erosion taking place in the program we used to love.

Anagrammy

Eddie Coyle

Noory's C2C is redolent of of Alice Cooper's gory stage show..."Dead Babies" comes to mind.

The difference being? With Noory's show...there's no entertainment,skill,humor or satisfaction from the audience.

Marc.Knight

Quote from: anagrammy on June 20, 2011, 10:02:45 AM
I do not remember Art ever using maimed children as an appropriate "paranormal news" item.  It is cheap sensationalism and is just another example of the quality erosion taking place in the program we used to love.

Anagrammy

Erosion?  That presumes the existence of quality to be eroded.  The program took a direct methane-gamma ray burst when Noory first flatulated himself into the broadcast chair. 

anagrammy

Quote from: Marc Knight on June 20, 2011, 12:55:05 PM

Erosion?  That presumes the existence of quality to be eroded.  The program took a direct methane-gamma ray burst when Noory first flatulated himself into the broadcast chair.

Ah, that's why I missed Marc --glad to see you back, man!

Anagrammy

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: Marc Knight on June 20, 2011, 12:55:05 PM

Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in.

I love you, brother.

Sent from my DROIDX

Seamus Capone

Quote from: anagrammy on June 20, 2011, 10:02:45 AM

Anagrammy

I accidentally turned on Coast. Noory was in the middle of a story about the dangers that wading pools pose to children, and he told what sounded like an anecdotal story about a drowning child (I tuned in late, so I'm not sure). Next, he brought up kids' food allergies, and he said that kids could die (he stressed that word) from them. I don't know what his first stories were about, but one wonders if he read this thread. LOL

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on June 20, 2011, 10:56:43 AM
   Noory's C2C is redolent of of Alice Cooper's gory stage show..."Dead Babies" comes to mind.

The difference being? With Noory's show...there's no entertainment,skill,humor or satisfaction from the audience.

Noory likely thinks that Alice Cooper was the maid on "The Brady Bunch".

Noory Voice: "Did you see the one where Greg broke Marcia's nose with a football (ha ha ha ha)?"

Scully

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 20, 2011, 02:34:11 AM
Speaking of things that make you gasp, Noory asked one of his guests, "is there a chance that the devil will win and all the children will be horribly butchered and burned alive?". That's an actual quote. It's not a paraphrase or a parody. I wouldn't even joke about something like that.

Why would he ask something like that? It's not the satanic victory part that confuses me, although that, in itself, is extremely strange. It's the other part that confounds me. Where do such disgusting and disturbing thoughts come from, and why would anyone entertain such fantasies?

I think Noory has even more issues going on in his head than I had ever imagined. :P

Where's Onan when we need some credentials?

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Scully on June 21, 2011, 03:31:50 AMI think Noory has even more issues going on in his head than I had ever imagined. :P

We're about five minutes into the program, and Noory mentions that scarlet fever killed a child in Hong Kong (his second "news" story). Can Onan perform exorcisms?

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 21, 2011, 11:16:31 PM
Can Onan perform exorcisms?

Yes, yes.  I believe, I believe!!   ;)

onan

Quote from: Scully on June 21, 2011, 03:31:50 AM

I think Noory has even more issues going on in his head than I had ever imagined.

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 21, 2011, 11:16:31 PM
We're about five minutes into the program, and Noory mentions that scarlet fever killed a child in Hong Kong (his second "news" story). Can Onan perform exorcisms?

Quote from: Treading Water on June 22, 2011, 05:02:38 AM
Yes, yes.  I believe, I believe!! 

Noory is vacuous and insipid. I wish there was a punchline for that. There isn't.

Noory if he ever had a soul it starved to death. If he is possessed with a demon... good.

aldousburbank

Quote from: onan on June 22, 2011, 06:54:42 AM
Noory if he ever had a soul it starved to death. If he is possessed with a demon... good.

It must be quite boring for the demon however.

onan

Quote from: aldousburbank on June 22, 2011, 10:19:25 AM
It must be quite boring for the demon however.

Hmmm, noory is boring... coincidence?

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 18, 2011, 11:15:13 PM
Noory worked at KTSP in St. Paul in 1978. He and a Wiki entry both mentioned it. That said, it's possible that somebody conflated his stint in St. Paul with the crimes in Michigan. The Oakland County murders are much like the Peter Woodcock killings BTW.

OK - I thought he was still @ channel 2 in Detroit then.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: 999 on June 24, 2011, 01:12:13 AMOK - I thought he was still @ channel 2 in Detroit then.

You're right in that he covered the murders when they took place in Oakland County. His stint in Minnesota, in 1978, was between his stints in Detroit and Saint Louis (per the flimsy Wiki entry). It's possible that I mixed up some dates in my first post. I thought that he said that the murders took place in Minnesota. He either misspoke, or I misheard what he said on that particular program. He talked about both Minnesota and the murders that night. It could be that got conflated in my memory due to the fact that I was half listening, a confabulation of sorts. Perhaps someone could fill in the blanks. 

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Jethro Capone on June 24, 2011, 02:28:46 AM
You're right in that he covered....

Holy crap you deserve a medal.  You are one in a million in this country to actually spell the contraction "you're" correctly in the right context.  A breath of fresh air.

Harmness

It is truely rare and acceptional to see such grammer.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Marc Knight on June 24, 2011, 05:49:10 AMHoly crap you deserve a medal.  You are one in a million in this country to actually spell the contraction "you're" correctly in the right context.  A breath of fresh air.

I'm afraid of the English teacher (page 5 in the Ian Punnett thread). She's not a Grammar Nazi; she's the Grammar Hitler.

Seamus Capone

Quote from: Harmness on June 24, 2011, 05:20:05 PMIt is truely rare and acceptional to see such grammer.

Let's hope that the English teacher no longer lurks here.

Grammar Nazi: "No red pen for *you*!" (with apologies to Seinfeld)

Harmness

If we could toss her and Roger together in a small, padded room and lock the door, I would never quit laughing.