• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Shhh, don't tell anyone. Unbelievable.

Started by Yorkshire pud, August 04, 2014, 01:13:44 AM

Yorkshire pud

I still find this hard to believe. How paranoid can people be that they they're not sure of their faith they will be this vile to those who are not religious? This is spreading the word of their deity?  :-\
It also suggests some are not that bright either.

Atheists in the US are rallying together, launching a new TV programme and providing support for those who go public with their beliefs.

The parents of Katelyn Campbell, 19, from West Virginia, have been very supportive of her stance as an atheist. Her problem has been other members of the community. "In high school, when I walked down the hallway it would be completely silent, or I would be spat on," Katelyn says.

A recent poll conducted by the Pew Research Centre shows Americans would rather have a president who was either in their 70s, or openly gay, or who had never held any public office than one that was atheist.

Astonishingly, a previous poll by Pew suggested respondents in the US regarded atheists as less trustworthy than rapists. One of Atheist TV's new phone-in programmes, The Atheist Experience, has already had a taste of how many Americans perceive "non-believers".

"So you were studying to be a minister, and now you don't believe in God? You're the devil," one caller tells the host. "You're a Marxist, you're an atheist and you're from Russia," says another.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28616115

Infidels!<(sarcasm)

Family Guy - Brian comes out as an athiest...
God à la (or would that be Allah?) Flash Gordon is pretty awesome!

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 01:13:44 AM
I still find this hard to believe. How paranoid can people be that they they're not sure of their faith they will be this vile to those who are not religious? This is spreading the word of their deity?  :-\

Blah, Not news. There has been the atheist tv show for decades, at least in my area. And, yes, some of the callers are rude or uneducated. But so is the host sometimes. Whatever. In the USA you can express your opinion, even religious opinion. Even if it offends someone. Got the money or a lot of time on your hands. Go put up a billboard or harangue people on the street. At least we don't, yet, have a state funded church as you lot do. Or burn effigies of the Pope on Nov 5th.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 01:13:44 AM

Anecdotal blather. Blah blah blah God....blah blah blah atheist. Who cares.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 10:02:00 AM
Blah, Not news. There has been the atheist tv show for decades, at least in my area. And, yes, some of the callers are rude or uneducated. But so is the host sometimes. Whatever. In the USA you can express your opinion, even religious opinion. Even if it offends someone. Got the money or a lot of time on your hands. Go put up a billboard or harangue people on the street. At least we don't, yet, have a state funded church as you lot do. Or burn effigies of the Pope on Nov 5th.

Where exactly do you get your information from? Whoever it is, you need to punch them really hard.

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 10:19:38 AM

Where exactly do you get your information from? Whoever it is, you need to punch them really hard.

Violent little creep, aren`t you?

RedMichael

I read this awhile ago and don't believe it.

A rapist will remove the choice from a woman regarding her body...a athiest will ...???

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 10:19:38 AM

There is no Church of England? No Bonfire night? I thought you lived in England. Maybe I was wrong.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 10:53:36 AM
There is no Church of England? No Bonfire night? I thought you lived in England. Maybe I was wrong.

The waste of money that is bonfire night on November the 5th, doesn't burn an effigy of the pope. It's an effigy (if your imagination runs riot on the word 'effigy') of Guido Fawkes who attempted to blow up the then king. The state doesn't fund the church, any church. You'll find the C of E is the wealthiest land owner in the country, it has no need to get any funds from the state.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 10:59:20 AM
The waste of money that is bonfire night on November the 5th, doesn't burn an effigy of the pope. It's an effigy (if your imagination runs riot on the word 'effigy') of Guido Fawkes who attempted to blow up the then king. The state doesn't fund the church, any church. You'll find the C of E is the wealthiest land owner in the country, it has no need to get any funds from the state.
Again, you are denying that there is not a state church in your country? Specifically you claim the Church Of England is NOT the official state church? I'm not talking about funding but charter-wise and official status. That the Queen, I know you lot still have royalty to which to bow acquiescently, is not affiliated with the CoE? That is odd because they claim she is the "Supreme Governor" of the church. I guess she gets no public funds?

It is also interesting to claim that Guy Fawkes night has nothing do to with the burning effigies of the Pope or historical animosity towards the Roman Church. Or that there hasn't been controversies about it over the years. Even as an only casual resident in England and Scotland recall bonfires and also controversies in the papers regarding the effigy and/or any anti-catholic sentiment in them. Even a simple internet search shows the history of the event.

You have remarkable, or maybe just case specific, lack of knowledge on your country's own traditions and institutions.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 11:41:28 AM
Again, you are denying that there is not a state church in your country? Specifically you claim the Church Of England is NOT the official state church?

I did? Where?

I'm not talking about funding but charter-wise and official status. That the Queen, I know you lot still have royalty to which to bow acquiescently, is not affiliated with the CoE? That is odd because they claim she is the "Supreme Governor" of the church. I guess she gets no public funds?

She'd better be affiliated, she's head of it. Or specifically the Monarch is the head of the C of E. Be it king or as we have now, Brenda. She says such nice things about you too.

I don't know what the exact sum is, but the Royal household gets about £35 million per year. Out of that all the salaries have to be paid to all the staff, all the various hovels have to be paid for too. Last count each Presidential candidate spent about a $Billion...Brenda brings in about ten times in tourism what we pay her, so it's not a bad deal is it? Personally, I'm ambivalent about the royal family thing, but that's me.

It is also interesting to claim that Guy Fawkes night has nothing do to with the burning effigies of the Pope or historical animosity towards the Roman Church.

I said that? Are you sure? Read it again.

Or that there hasn't been controversies about it over the years. Even as an only casual resident in England and Scotland recall bonfires and also controversies in the papers regarding the effigy and/or any anti-catholic sentiment in them. Even a simple internet search shows the history of the event.

You have remarkable, or maybe just case specific, lack of knowledge on your country's own traditions and institutions.

I do? Oh fair enough. Why are you claiming that you'd like to see the first born of non Americans put to death? Or you'd prefer to see all white enclaves in Brooklyn?

See how this misquoting shit works?  ;D

WildCard

Seems you hit a nerve, Pud.
I'm gonna hit it some more just to see what happens.
"T-shirts are laid out for sale on one of the vending tables. "Godless Goddess" says one"
"Hey, that's hot! I'll worship you if you'll worship me."
(My last attempt at communicating with these exotic creatures ended with a beer bottle smashed upside my head. Can't remember what I said, but I'm sure I deserved it.)

Quote• 26% of them see themselves as spiritual
That's very interesting.
If you "nasty, noisy negativists" keep killing all my sacred cows, I'm turning Buddhist.
Go ahead, take away everything. There's still the emptiness, the great and shining void.

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 11:56:18 AM
I did? Where?

She'd better be affiliated, she's head of it. Or specifically the Monarch is the head of the C of E. Be it king or as we have now, Brenda. She says such nice things about you too.

I don't know what the exact sum is, but the Royal household gets about £35 million per year. Out of that all the salaries have to be paid to all the staff, all the various hovels have to be paid for too. Last count each Presidential candidate spent about a $Billion...Brenda brings in about ten times in tourism what we pay her, so it's not a bad deal is it? Personally, I'm ambivalent about the royal family thing, but that's me.

I said that? Are you sure? Read it again.

I do? Oh fair enough. Why are you claiming that you'd like to see the first born of non Americans put to death? Or you'd prefer to see all white enclaves in Brooklyn?

See how this misquoting shit works?  ;D
Brooklyn is about as close to me as you are to Morocco, and probably just as different culturally for all I know. But the census has it that Brooklyn is %35.8 non-Hispanic white, so there is no need for you to worry since there are already likely some white enclaves left there. ;)

Pope Burning in England: A True Brits Trailer
More worrying to me some burn effigy of Jordan. Poor Katie. What did she ever do to anyone besides exposing her slutty life to the public?  And, as I was told by one of the more interesting parade protests in London: "slut" is not a bad word and has been "reclaimed" by women in "slut walks." I kid you not.

ps: I actually support the burning and even CoE. I see no reason to eliminate one's culture and history simply to risk offending immigrants and foreigners or some descendents of Irish immigrants.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 12:17:27 PM
s.

You haven't quoted the bits that you previously attributed to me. The bits about the Pope, Church etc.

As for Katie Price, she's a fucking publicity leech. But she's made her coin being so, there's worse career moves. I sort of met her once when I was doing freelance photography. Scrum around her at a race track (motorbikes) and wandered over to have a look...she was big ugly then and very small...still pig ugly, still small. 

albrecht

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on August 04, 2014, 12:23:44 PM

You haven't quoted the bits that you previously attributed to me. The bits about the Pope, Church etc.

As for Katie Price, she's a fucking publicity leech. But she's made her coin being so, there's worse career moves. I sort of met her once when I was doing freelance photography. Scrum around her at a race track (motorbikes) and wandered over to have a look...she was big ugly then and very small...still pig ugly, still small.
"doesn't burn an effigy of the pope. It's an effigy (if your imagination runs riot on the word 'effigy') of Guido Fawkes who attempted to blow up the then king. The state doesn't fund the church, any church. "
In reply to my original comments, ignoring the question with the second answer (the question was does your country have a State Church. The answer is "yes". Not some rambling answer about funding. I never questioned the funding- until the follow-up with regard to the Royal Family.) You claim that effigies of the Pope are not burnt or haven't been but only of "Guido". And I show videos of "Pope" being burnt and even other people, like poor slut Jordan's, being burnt in effigy. So, again, either a lie or lacking knowledge of the history of the night.
ps: I just laugh about Katie Price and how she has been able to milk publicity for so long now. But, rest assured, we have plenty of mindless, celebrities for nothing, also. Too many.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: albrecht on August 04, 2014, 12:34:27 PM
"doesn't burn an effigy of the pope. It's an effigy (if your imagination runs riot on the word 'effigy') of Guido Fawkes who attempted to blow up the then king. The state doesn't fund the church, any church. "
In reply to my original comments, ignoring the question with the second answer (the question was does your country have a State Church. The answer is "yes". Not some rambling answer about funding. I never questioned the funding- until the follow-up with regard to the Royal Family.) You claim that effigies of the Pope are not burnt or haven't been but only of "Guido". And I show videos of "Pope" being burnt and even other people, like poor slut Jordan's, being burnt in effigy. So, again, either a lie or lacking knowledge of the history of the night.
ps: I just laugh about Katie Price and how she has been able to milk publicity for so long now. But, rest assured, we have plenty of mindless, celebrities for nothing, also. Too many.

To be honest I've lost fucking interest.

Maybe religion is the reason we all can't get along?
Among other things like politics, race, gender related, sports, music preference and the
list goes on and on *sigh*

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on August 05, 2014, 09:13:26 AM

They can't all be right, but they all think they are and that's the problem, because the fanatics in every religion will be more than happy to wipe out anyone else who disagrees. God is on their side.

Avi

Burning effigies? Now we're talking! And the Pope is just the beginning! Bring the marshmallows! We'll get to all of the sacred cows.

Heather Wade

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on August 05, 2014, 09:13:26 AM
Among other things like politics, race, gender related, sports, music preference and the
list goes on and on *sigh*

Agreed.

Kelt

I'd get along with everyone if they'd just stop acting different to me.

So it's their fault.

pyewacket

I gave up on religion many years ago. Only a small percentage of people seem able to practice it in a positive way. Religion brings out the worse in too many people. It provides an excuse for hate and violence.

I can't imagine something of a divine nature demanding worship or condoning violence. I hope there is something greater than us somewhere because we're a pretty messed up species.

Guess this should go under 'Things that Annoy You' but since it's kinda religiously based I decided to place it here.

Not far from where I live there is a woman's clinic.  Dunno if they do abortions or not, I'm gonna assume (yeah, yeah, I'm an ass, can be stubborn, too, wait, that's a mule...are asses stubborn, too?) they may, because there are generally always good Christians out there (fewer in winter, and none if it is raining or
too hot *rolls eyes*) either picketing, or on their knees, some with rosary beads praying (I'm not joking, they really do.)
So, firstly, I believe, with all the birth control available, there should be no 'mistakes', but yeah, stuff happens. If they cannot afford to have a child (or in the case of rape), rather than to place it in a 'home' or be abusive and not cared for, than let them do what they feel is necessary. It's their conscience.
BUT, secondly, I've often wondered, if someone went to the facility, with a lawyer so everything would be legal, and asked these protesters if they would be
willing to provide medical care and, when born, take the child into their home and raise it as their own, a very Christian thing to do, would any be willing? To actually do something worthy, other than just offering prayers or protests?
K, I'm done now.

pyewacket

RN- I've thought the same thing. I used to try and be a good Catholic 30 years ago and I had to give it up. I couldn't live with the cognitive dissonance needed for me to continue.

For general information:

http://www.simplypsychology.org/cognitive-dissonance.html

I would love to see people put on the spot and have to answer as you described in your post. I went to parochial school up to 12th grade- it had the opposite affect of what my parents intended.  :)

onan

When I was in school, I worked as security for a women's health clinic in Pittsburgh.

The people that protest are vacuous and they can't spell principled. But they sure love drama. I have been splattered with "holy" water. I have been told I am in league with satan (ok they got a lucky guess). I have been threatened, photographed and my wife was stalked... lets just say that guy can't stalk anymore.

Most of the protestors are dumber than dirty bricks. Many are too busy doing the lord's work to actually support themselves.

Yorkshire pud

Quote from: onan on August 10, 2014, 01:41:20 PM

Most of the protestors are dumber than dirty bricks.

Top right; has to be.

I'm the first to admit I'm not the brightest crayon in the box. I do the best with what I have.
I'm still struggling to suss it all out. The purpose (if any), of it all.
Birth. Death.
Mostly it's that in between part I'm having a lot of trouble with, which, I suppose, is the only part that really matters?
We don't choose to be born and most don't choose to die.
I'm just searching for explanations/answers that make sense to me, while I constantly alter/adjust my opinions as I gain new knowledge/information.
The problem is, the more I search, the more confused I get.

Sorry about drifting from the thread's topic.

PerfectTommy

Quote from: onan on August 10, 2014, 01:41:20 PMMany are too busy doing the lord's work to actually support themselves.

Please don't think haranguing people outside a clinic and pointing an accusing finger at them is in any way "the Lord's work".

Redemption from sin is what it's supposed to be about.

That's what Christians--real Christians--should be preaching instead of showing their asses at some demonstration.

Sorry you had to put up with such nonsense.