• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Your Celebrity Stories

Started by MV/Liberace!, September 24, 2012, 05:07:34 PM

Harmness

I once offered to beat the shit out of Kevin Costner.

Got ragingly drunk with the cast of one of those awful Crocodile Dundee movies in Nogales Sonora, those goddamn Aussies are nuts.  Paul Hogan had people to keep him from coming along, but he was kind enough to send me a "billie" to hang off my saddle in case I ever want tea while punching cows or whatever the hell those guys do.

Got the ever loving hell beat out of me by Duane Ward (Blue Jays pitcher) more than once as a kid.  Also his brothers, but I whipped one of them once.  It's better to be lucky than good.

I also got my picture taken with a cardboard cutout of George HW Bush in 1992.

BobGrau

Quote from: Harmness on October 10, 2012, 04:50:20 PM
I once offered to beat the shit out of Kevin Costner.

Got ragingly drunk with the cast of one of those awful Crocodile Dundee movies in Nogales Sonora, those goddamn Aussies are nuts.  Paul Hogan had people to keep him from coming along, but he was kind enough to send me a "billie" to hang off my saddle in case I ever want tea while punching cows or whatever the hell those guys do.

Got the ever loving hell beat out of me by Duane Ward (Blue Jays pitcher) more than once as a kid.  Also his brothers, but I whipped one of them once.  It's better to be lucky than good.

God, I've wasted my life.

ChewMouse

Quote from: Harmness on October 10, 2012, 04:50:20 PM
Whoa!!

Start at the beginning and tell the story, don't leave out a single word!

Sardondi

Street vendors in Washington D.C used to (still may) offer a picture beside a life-sized and extremely lifelike cardboard cutout of a hi-def pic of the President. They were so good that at first glance it could really fool you. I had one done in 1983 with "President Reagan". I was wearing a blazer and khaki pants. It was so real looking my frat boy baby brother, for whom preppie fashion rules had the weight of holy writ, took one look at it and said, "Noooo!!! Bro, tell me you didn't wear khakis when you saw President Reagan!".

yodaterrell

Back in 2009 I had severe Lyme Disease.  I was granted a wish by the Make-A-Wish foundation.  I wanted to go to the Star Wars Weekends at Disney World.  My family got to stay at this resort with other kids who were there for the same reason I was.  One day Mick Foley showed up.  We got pictures of my brother, my sisters, and I with him.  I also recorded some video. 

ponyboysunset

I have two stories. 1st one, the record store I used to work in is in Michigan, not to far from Detroit. Before Kid Rock was big he would bring his stuff in on consignment. He was very polite, and kind, used to buy all kinds of vinyl. (We sold vinyl, it was awesome!)

Second story, I met Tori Amos before a concert in 2007-08ish. She was awesome. She signed items for about 30 of us, and talked and took pictures for about an hour. She was tiny, and very pixie like. Hard to believe that voice comes out of that tiny woman :)

Caruthers612

I once broke wind while listening to one of Obama's speeches.

And I once vomited while listening to one of "W's" speeches. 

My point, you may be wondering?   Can we keep the drive-by politicizing in the politics thread?

McPhallus

Quote from: West of the Rockies on March 01, 2013, 06:15:32 PM
My point, you may be wondering?   Can we keep the drive-by politicizing in the politics thread?

A noble goal, but impossible.

By the way, I feel like farting whenever Hilary Clinton is mentioned.

Quote from: McPhallus on March 01, 2013, 07:01:12 PM

A noble goal, but impossible.

By the way, I feel like farting whenever Hilary Clinton is mentioned.

Well, sure, we all do....

MV/Liberace!

boy.  this thread turned out to be a dud.

Cynnie

Anyone remember wahoo mcdaniels ? ( wrassler)
I once saw him in an arthritis doctors office ( i was there with old ass relative)
Oooo the glamour

HAL 9000

Quote from: Sardondi on September 25, 2012, 02:40:53 PMHilary had a nasty attitude in general, and would even break vases and the like when she got into a screaming fight with the President over his, uh, "friends". There was a very short honeymoon in that administration, before Hilary and the Secret Service got down to the business of not being able to stand each other.

I can vouch for Hillary's rants - many years ago, one of my patients was a premature newborn of a Secret Service agent assigned to the White House residence. When dealing with sick babies, I'd often turn the conversation to "regular talk" at the bedside, just to lighten things up a bit. Though the Secret Service agent did not provide details, he did confirm Hillary's outbursts at Bill in the private residence.

After the Monica Lewinsky affair was over, I cared for Linda Tripp's granddaughter while in the NICU. Gramma Tripp was a real bitch.

I also worked with JonBenét Ramsey's sister for a year or two. Never knew it until she got married. Very pretty young woman, smart, unassuming and quiet. For the wedding, she had her bridesmaids (perhaps 4-8 [?] of the nurses she worked with - seemed like a lot at the time) - flown to where her parents were living, all expenses paid. To my knowledge, no one still knew of any "dubious" connection, until they saw her parents, John and Patsy Ramsey, before the wedding (rehearsal dinner?). Yikes! I saw the wedding photos, and sure 'nough, it was them. I'm still suspicious one of them was in someway involved.

My only other "celebrity" encounter I can think of is, years ago, as a young trumpeter, I played in a dance band, playing all genres of music. We became heavily involved with the music of jazz great Maynard Ferguson (don't expect any of you to know him), and our band bought and memorized his biggest hits from sheet music. We were invited to play for several nights for a few songs onstage with Maynard and his band. Hitting double-high G-A-B-C's with Maynard was a thrill. One night, Maynard's band followed us back to one of our houses where we hung out and jammed  for a few hours. Maynard, of course, didn't come; he went straight to his hotel after the concert. Maynard signed all our sheet music and our "Maynard!" t-shirts.

Uncle Duke

Back in the late 80s, for four years I was working a program that required I travel three-plus weeks a month, mostly from/to Dayton, OH to/from LAX.  At the time, the primary airlines making those flights were TWA (through St Louis) and Piedmont (direct flight).  TWA had a deal where if you flew some ungodly number (200000?) miles with them in a calender year, you got a "Gold Card" that would upgrade you to first class if a seat was available and a membership to their Ambassador's Club.  They also had some type of code share with Piedmont, so I racked up miles very quickly. Had this card for all four years.

In that time I sat next to and/or met a lot of celebrities, mostly film and TV types, but politicians, pro athletes, authors etc.  Of all those folks, two stood out.  Far and away the classiest of the lot was actress Morgan Fairchild.  She was on her way back to LA through St. Louis after having given testimony at a Congressional hearing.  She sat down next to me, and immediately said, "Hi I'm Morgan."  We talked for the entire flight, I was amazed at how intelligent and insightful she was.  It was obviously our politics were polar opposites, but her ability to discuss things on an intellectual level and to find common ground on seemingly any topic was very impressive.  I always thought she'd go into politics.

The biggest dick I ever encountered was Chuck Yeager.  We were flying out of Dayton on a morning TWA flight, he was sitting in the aisle seat diagonally forward and to my left.  No sooner had his ass hit the seat when he barked at the stew, "Get me a double bourbon (or whatever he drank) on the rocks."  About the time the seat belt sign went off, one of the stews said to him, "Excuse me General Yeager, but there's a young man in coach who recognized you, would it be OK if I brought him up to meet you and get your autograph?"  Yeager replied, "Hell no, and get me another drink!"  Sitting across from me (directly behind Yeager) was a man in his late-40s, very distinguished looking gent.  After hearing Yeager's response, the guy said very clearly, "What an asshole".  Yeager ignored him, and just sat there drinking all the way to St. Louis. 

Kelt

Me and Harry Horse... for legal reasons that's as much of the story as I can tell.

b_dubb

I've mentioned elsewhere that I was an extra on "Patch Adams".  A dreadful film but I take sick pleasure in the fact that the movie was the last "Worst Movie of the Year" by Gene Siskell before he passed away. 

Extras were told not to talk to the cast or approach them because they were working.  I had no problem following directions because I was getting catered breakfast and lunch.  Really good food too.  And all the snacks and drinks you could want.  They wanted extras to stick around because a lot of the exterior shots had lots of students. 

Well one day we were filming a transitional scene which roughly happens right after the scene where they immerse the old woman in a swimming pool of pasta.  They started the shot with Robin Williams standing right behind me and shot the scene about 7 times.  After each take crew would set everything back to where it was at the beginning of the shot.  For some reason there was this really effeminate guy on the opposite side of Robin Williams who would constantly fuck with Robin Williams for some reason.  At one point Robin Williams leaned over to me and whispered "he's a leather queen from hell".  I laughed.  That was a thousand times funnier than any joke in the movie.

After shooting the seen for the last time Robin Williams decides he's going to walk over to us and talk to me and two other extras standing there.  Mind you I'm trying to ignore RW up until its obvious that he is going to talk to us.  I turn to him at that point and say "I really enjoy your work" and shook his hand.  RW said thanks and then shook the other extras hands.  At that point RW gestures to me and says "So Mr. Yeager here ... " (because I was wearing RayBan Pilot Sun Glasses and some mean sideburns).  I don't know why but I interrupted him and said "Please ... I prefer Serpico".  First thing that popped into my mind.  RW glared at me and just said "you wish".  I didn't speak to RW again.  I did see him in a restaurant right after they wrapped shooting on the movie.  Pretty sure he thought I was stalking him at that point.  I wasn't.  He just happened to be in the shitty diner that was two blocks from my house in Carrboro. 

I hope that story is enough to put this thread to right and set it back on course. 

yumyumtree

I met Ron Paul a time or two. He's about like you'd expect.

I got to see Queen Elizabeth at an exhibit opening of the British Museum in 1980. I didn't get to actually meet her but it was still exciting.

I was a supervisor at a hotel in downtown Seattle when Al Gore and entourage were there in 1992. It was awful, Secret Service all over. I hate the way they give these people special treatment. The executive housekeeper says something about doing the room before they get back. I said "we don't do people's rooms when they're checking out later the same day." She said , "we do his." What a bunch of pigs these pricks who worked for him were.
In the 70s the Governor General came and stayed at this resort I worked at 80 miles from Calgary. I suppose it was flattering. But there maid service had to be done at lunch time, an imposition for the girls, who always lunched together. They also washed his dishes. Other guests were expected to wash their own. I didn't even know what a Governor General was. It's the Queens representative in Canada.

Tarbaby

I* liked it. It beats the hell out of my brush with Emilio Estevez.

yumyumtree

Quote from: b_dubb on July 22, 2014, 07:40:38 PM
I've mentioned elsewhere that I was an extra on "Patch Adams".  A dreadful film but I take sick pleasure in the fact that the movie was the last "Worst Movie of the Year" by Gene Siskell before he passed away. 

Extras were told not to talk to the cast or approach them because they were working.  I had no problem following directions because I was getting catered breakfast and lunch.  Really good food too.  And all the snacks and drinks you could want.  They wanted extras to stick around because a lot of the exterior shots had lots of students. 

Well one day we were filming a transitional scene which roughly happens right after the scene where they immerse the old woman in a swimming pool of pasta.  They started the shot with Robin Williams standing right behind me and shot the scene about 7 times.  After each take crew would set everything back to where it was at the beginning of the shot.  For some reason there was this really effeminate guy on the opposite side of Robin Williams who would constantly fuck with Robin Williams for some reason.  At one point Robin Williams leaned over to me and whispered "he's a leather queen from hell".  I laughed.  That was a thousand times funnier than any joke in the movie.

After shooting the seen for the last time Robin Williams decides he's going to walk over to us and talk to me and two other extras standing there.  Mind you I'm trying to ignore RW up until its obvious that he is going to talk to us.  I turn to him at that point and say "I really enjoy your work" and shook his hand.  RW said thanks and then shook the other extras hands.  At that point RW gestures to me and says "So Mr. Yeager here ... " (because I was wearing RayBan Pilot Sun Glasses and some mean sideburns).  I don't know why but I interrupted him and said "Please ... I prefer Serpico".  First thing that popped into my mind.  RW glared at me and just said "you wish".  I didn't speak to RW again.  I did see him in a restaurant right after they wrapped shooting on the movie.  Pretty sure he thought I was stalking him at that point.  I wasn't.  He just happened to be in the shitty diner that was two blocks from my house in Carrboro. 

I hope that story is enough to put this thread to right and set it back on course.

People are so funny that way. They told you not go approach them  but didnt think about them approaching you.
People just don't realize how they sound some times. I cleaned house for a woman who was not a celebrity and actually a friend. But she told me not to talk to her husband when he came home because it got on his nerves. I said, "well, he seems to want to talk." She said "He's just being polite. He really doesn't like it." So I kept the conversation limited to brief hellos. They broke up not too long after that. Another woman.

yumyumtree

BTW, Patch Adams truly was a dreadful movie. It's an example of the kind of movie Hollywood makes and then turns around and wonders why people don't go to movies anymore.
Michael Medved was supposed to have the real Patch Adams on his show. I don't think he actually did but he played the long, rambling  message Adams left on his answering system and he sounded stoned. Apparently this hospital or whatever that Adams wanted to build never materialized, and donors stopped sending money out of disgust when there was never anything to show for it.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Caruthers612 on March 01, 2013, 07:36:56 AM

I once broke wind while listening to one of Obama's speeches.
At least you didnt do what Al Roker did.

yumyumtree

Oh I saw Ted Turner at Gallatin Field(Bozeman airport), but not talk to.
He owned property in the area, and his ex brother in law, Peter Fonda, still does.

Gallatin Field isn't much of an airport. I think it has 3 gates.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Morgus on September 24, 2012, 06:59:55 PM
I recognized Mr. T sitting in a strip club bar once.
I walked past him, but he had two bodyguards sitting next to him...
I also saw Paulie Shore once sitting by himself in a booth at the same strip club.
What is it with famous men and strip clubs? I heard that Warren Zevon killed time at a nearby strip club before his show at Parker's in Seattle. It's their business, of course, but I wouldn't think the girls would be that special compared to what he might see in more world class cities. I went to his show, BTW. It was great.

yumyumtree

Quote from: Juan on October 01, 2012, 06:19:26 PM
I was working for a production company, shooting the 1988 Democratic National Convention.  I met Dan Rather.  He was sitting on someone's motorcycle trying to act like he knew something about motorcycles, speaking East Texas, and it appearing he had sparks flying off his body.  He was filled with energy.

Later that day, I shot a half-hour interview with then Libertarian Party Presidential candidate Ron Paul, who came across as a reasonable medical doctor with a good bedside manner.
He's delivered lots and lots of babies and was also a Navy flight surgeon.

yumyumtree

My mother claimed she saw Steve McQueen on the street in Polson, Montana, the little town at the south end if Flathead Lake where I was born. Unfortunately, I wasn't with her that day. But in those days Hollywood stars liked to go to Western Montana because their privacy was respected( a lot of locals didnt know who they were and cared less) so it might have been him.

Back in the 1970's I was involved in research and development of some agricultural soil amendments and Eddie Albert came to go with a group of us that were going to Tallahassee to talk to the Florida Sec. of Ag. Albert flew in from Hawaii thought he was flying to 'Florida climate' but it was winter. I had just bought a nice long overcoat and I had bought it slightly larger for wearing over a suit. Fit him perfectly.  All through the week he made a point of having breakfast with me each morning. Eddie Albert was a very nice person and not 'Hollywood' at all.
When I was in college in the 60's I hung out at an MG dealer in town that had a cople of cars they ran in Daytona 24 hr. and Sebring 12 hour races.  I did this 68-69-70. One year James Garner had a couple Corvettes in the Sebring race. The week before the race he spent a lot of time with us playing cards, having a good time. The man did not act. He was the way his characters seemed. He was a real good guy and funnier than hell.
My father owned a Hilton Hotel in Cape Canaveral, Florida in the 60's into the early 70's during Apollo days. During the Apollo 13 crises Richard Gordon used to come in after a day in a simulator  working through the problems Lovell and his crew were having. He liked to have me sit and converse with him while he had something to eat at one of our restaurants. He was one of the nicest all round personalities among the astronauts, a regular sort of guy. no airs. and very funny.       

VtaGeezer

I spent a few years splitting time between the West Coast and downtown Manhattan and brushed elbows with a lot of celebs on planes, in airports, and restaurants.  Once in about 1980, I bought Andy Warhol a drink at the Vista Hotel lounge at the World Trade Center.  Didn't even get a napkin doodle out of it!  One of my best celeb encounters was when I sat next to Peter Graves on a flight in the late 90s. A very friendly man; we had good chat about his work and he was interested in my work with the Navy too. Though not really a celeb herself,  one of my neighbors is the child of a real Hollywood legend. 

Quote from: VtaGeezer on July 22, 2014, 11:15:12 PM
One of my best celeb encounters was when I sat next to Peter Graves on a flight in the late 90s. A very friendly man; we had good chat about his work and he was interested in my work with the Navy too.

Did he ask you if you liked gladiator movies?   :D

[attachimg=1]

I knew most of the astronauts from Mercury, Gemini and Apollo projects. Gordon was the most personable. I knew Lovell. Most of the others were far more to themselves or down right obnoxious self interested jerks.
Steve McQueen ran a Porsche at Sebring the year Gardner spent a lot of time around my crew. McQueen was there all for the race and down to that business and was not very friendly . McQueen had a broken leg(Right) and managed to come in 2nd overall that year.
He was a hell of a driver when he raced.
Met Cronkite once when my father introduced me to him,  Cronkite got his job in WWII from my Great grand Uncle who was the Foreign correspondent for Scripps-Howard papers from 1906-1953.
I knew Curtiss LeMay and had met Morgan(Memphis Belle) As my father had served under them in WWII. I grew up a few miles away from Morgan when I grew up in NC.
I met Henry Ford II several times when I was a child as my father was his pilot for 4 years in the early 1950's.
I was the little boy in ads for Greenfield Village museum in the early 1950's,  Privilege of being the chief pilot's cute little boy.
I had a picture of me taken with Hoppilong Cassidy(William Boyd)early 1950's.