• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

astroguy

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2012, 02:19:55 AM
Noory just asked Bara what some of the skeptics/debunkers say about his theories...

Yeah.  Mike doesn't realize that I withhold judgement of a claim until there is evidence for that.  Until there is evidence for it, I accept the null hypothesis.  In this case, that's that there is no ziggy.

ziznak

i hope you get on astro.  I'm guessing they will need to give mike the heads up and get approval or something? Being that you were already mentioned by name and George was saying it would only be right to hear you out I can't see how they wouldnt take this opportunity to seem inpartial.

astroguy

Quote from: ziznak on September 25, 2012, 02:33:49 AM
i hope you get on astro.  I'm guessing they will need to give mike the heads up and get approval or something? Being that you were already mentioned by name and George was saying it would only be right to hear you out I can't see how they wouldnt take this opportunity to seem inpartial.

If I don't get on, I will follow-up with them on Wednesday or so.

Morgus

This caller says his real name is 'Dan' not Stuart...

astroguy

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2012, 02:41:36 AM
This caller says his real name is 'Dan' not Stuart...

Yeah.  This is the first time I've heard Mike make this particular claim.  I haven't listened to his paracast interview from last night, though, yet.  I just got back from a conference and am catching up on stuff ...

Morgus

This is Stuart in Colorado now.
Noory might have him back for a full rebutal he says.

Morgus

Bara says now that all of Stuart's claims he 'destroyed' on his blog.  :o

Morgus

Noory brings up it would be a good onair debate between Bara and Stuart.
Bara says Stuart is now at the same level as arch-debunkers like Phil Plait and James Oberg.  :P

astroguy

They cut me off after I said my last thing.  And Tom (I assume Tom) took my cell phone number.

Morgus

Bara said he wanted to ask Stuart a question after he was off talking to Tom, he wanted to know if he was the one who sent him emails under the fake name of 'Dan'

astroguy

I was going to respond to the Japanese artifacts claim, but they cut me off.  Wanted to say that yeah, you're going to get artifacts when you use a low-resolution JPG image to work from.

And no, I'm not the one who sent those.

Morgus

Hoagland never actually called in tonight, but Noory did claim he was listening and sending him text messages thruout the show.

ziznak

deep down your probly a "nice guy" astro.  That would be awesome if they had you on like george is tokkeeen about.  No word in regards to the COD zombies source I like how he avoided that.  This argument that he doesn't trust any digitized images is kinda funny.  Where exactly is he looking up these things? They aren't looking at them digitally when they are photosho- er - analyzing them?

Morgus

Are they going to have Stuart on himself later this week for a segment, and/or maybe setup a future onair debate between them?

RedMichael

Good job. He "had the mic" so to speak so it was uphill but you came off as reasonable and logical. I think he lost some credibility due to letting his emotions creep in and personal attacks.

Also, I thought Noory seemed more on the ball tonight than I have heard in a long time and I thought you were going to get double teamed but Noory defended the right of the audience to form their own conclusions.

WOTR

This should actually be good, and I have missed it?  I suppose this means that I will need to be downloading the program so as to hear the hater live on air...

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2012, 01:56:54 AM
Better start calling in now to get in the queue, see if Noory allows a person to defend themself when attacked by name on the air by the guest...

"Thuh show iz-unt about yellin' an' screemin' "  - George

astroguy

Thanks folks. :)

ziznak - Yup, he pretty much dodged that.

Morgus - We'll see.  I'll follow-up in a few days if they don't.  Need to remember to keep my cell phone with me.

RedMichael - Thanks.  That was really my goal, to not "win" 'cause it's their turf, but to post questions - that to anyone who could think for themselves - would force Mike to not directly answer or answer with conspiracy.  Or say that he doesn't have the evidence.

Also, I really wanted to follow-up on the claim he made about the Japanese craft's images, since, um, yeah ... if you use low-res low-quality JPGs, there are going to be artifacts.  Try getting the actual full image and there aren't.

Quote from: bud2112 on September 25, 2012, 01:28:43 AM
People keep wondering if George reads this website. George or at least someone on staff does because one time I read something on here and asked George if it was true and his response was "they are idiots not true". Doubt he would call you guys idiots if he didn't know a little about what goes on here.

Was that a call you made to the show, or did you ask in person?

michio

Quote from: Morgus on September 25, 2012, 02:19:55 AM
Noory just asked Bara what some of the skeptics/debunkers say about his theories...
Bara said if they are on NASA payroll, then they have no credibility.
He claimed they make fake facebook pages and have even threatened to kill his cats...

Bara's confusing hard working and dedicated NASA employees (intentionally I'm sure) with common Internet trolls who live at home and troll from their dark basements. The deceitful fool.

WOTR

Wow... Listening to George before your appearance makes me think that he knows who you are and has at least a little respect for you (do not worry, I will not tell him you post here... ;) )  I say that because he interjected with words such as allegedly and told Bara that he would have to have you on and when Bara said he would not listen to you George suggested that he should.  I do not know that he was defending you exactly, but it is the closest that I have heard from him trying to temper his guest.  Is it possible that his producer was monitoring the board and knew to expect a call due to the mention of your name? 

Fortunately, the station that I listen to runs Coast on a fairly major time delay so I was able to catch the interview.  I would not worry about thinking people not siding with you (and not just based on your appearance.)  Listening to Bara I could discern that he is ***almost*** as credible as Hoagland.  I would estimate that he is a mere decade from using a proprietary mathematical formula that only he understands while ranting about decahedrons containing frozen ancient Sumerians being launched by the annunaki to coincide with a 9/11 anniversary to warn us of reincarnated aliens.

I have to say that I enjoyed George having the discussion with Bara after you were gone that people are actually allowed their opinions.  When he said that he will meet them head on with discussion and suggested the guest do the same I nearly killed myself laughing.  I have to admit that after a few months of hearing the alternative to George (Wells) that I seem to be appreciating George more and more.  I suppose that is what happens when you put an unbearable host (Wells) next to a mediocre one...

I completely missed all of this but I have to hear it. This all happened on Monday nights show?

Juan

It was also interesting that a caller named Bob from Florida said he was an amateur astronomer and gave his credentials.  He asked Bara a question about using high-resolution images.  Bara ducked it by saying that his phone cut out as Bob was talking.

When Bara was making assertions about Stuart, sNoory kept interjecting "In your opinion."  It seems sNoory remembered enough of his news background to be afraid of a libel suit.  (Opinion is not actionable.)

RedMichael

Bah I wanted to think Noory was doing the honorable thing.

Yea, when he said he didn't catch a lot of the call because his phone cut out, it made him look really bad. The fact is, just by hearing a few good calls with questions, I imagine this man could be cornered in a 10 minute debate.

stevesh

Bara struck me as a desperately insecure little guy, or someone who knows full well his work is bullshit, or both. If you are secure in the knowledge that what you're saying is right, you don't spend as much time as he did calling out people who simply disagree with you.

I don't think Noory had a sudden attack of integrity, or was afraid of a slander suit. He just doesn't like conflict. Suggests a childhood filled with it.

If the C2C producers have any brains, they'll set up a debate: astroguy and Bob from Florida against Hoagland and Bara. It's be ugly, but entertaining.

stevesh

Quote from: Ben Shockley on September 23, 2012, 01:35:07 PM
I didn't hear that tidbit, since I never listen to Noory anymore, but you've just added support to my contention that Georgie thinks the best show topics are found on old female relatives' bric-a-brac shelves.

Speaking of never listening to Noory anymore:  I am deeply troubled (okay: "amused and puzzled") by people in here still referring to "Coast Insider" and touting it as a way to hear past shows.
STOP PAYING FOR THAT!   You're sustaining the twin beasts that are Noory and Premiere!   Don't feed 'em; drive the financial stake through their hearts!   There are free alternatives which violate Premiere's copyright.

Fixed that for you. Could be there are those of us who consider our integrity to be worth more than a dollar a month.

Sardondi

Quote from: astroguy on September 25, 2012, 01:48:21 AM
Among other things, Mike just claimed that pareidolia doesn't exist and that the term was invented in the 1990s.  Too bad he's wrong.

I was just goofing and casually tried to run it down as well. I came upon a 2001 thread at The Straight Dope in which someone called "Irishman" started a thread, saying he was looking into the origin and first use of the word "pareidolia". He said:

"I am looking for the history and origination of this word. In particular, is it        something created by psychologists, or was it invented by skeptics? So far all references I can find online are after 1990...." http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=72776

I find it most interesting that in 2012 Bara is echoing very closely an assertion made on a board in 2001, and wonder if  Bara was the "Irishman" of that thread. Or is it possible that Bara, in trying to tun down the origin, skimmed the internet some time after 2001, found the Straight Dope thread, and, excellent and thorough researcher and scientist that he is, lazily accepted as authoritative the "fact", asserted in the first post of some thread at a web site, that the word hadn't appeared before 1990?

Second interesting fact: in that same thread a guy named "astro", who knew his stuff, posted a very informative piece linking to several sources concerning pareidolia. (!)

I just found it interesting that there are perhaps these are some "forensic remnants" of Bara and you having crossed swords even back then. Or at least in your separate attempts at tracking, both ran across the same trail, although at different times.

RedMichael

Everything is backwards.

Instead of gathering information and drawing a conclusion IF possible, he already had a conclusion and is only looking at things that support it. Incredible. :o

expat

I'm really glad astroguy made it on the air. The point about trusting the Call-of-Duty image but distrusting all the other, better resolution, images is the crucial one.

BobGrau

Boring old wikipedia suggests that Leonardo da Vinci wrote about Pareidolia as a device for painters. Wait, why do I even care?