• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

stevesh

Quote from: onan on August 29, 2012, 08:52:08 AM
About Stanton Friedman, I don't understand the animosity. He is as far as I have listened is the most rational about UFO subjects. He doesn't present mystical fabrications. He sticks pretty much to the dry and tedious task of research. Does he conflate? I am not sure, if he does it is to a much lesser extent than anyone else in the same subject matter. Does he retell the same stories? yeah but compared to what else is presented from noory's guests I find his retellings more interesting than Sylvia the witch.

I like Friedman too. He and Richard Dolan are about the only UFO-related guests I can stomach.

Jasmine

I don't get the hate-on with Friedman, either. He's harmless, and I'm not entirely convinced what he studies and researches should be cast aside and maligned. His ideas and theories are interesting, and until I myself study in-depth his material and can produce a viable counter hypothesis, then I am in no position to cast condemnation on the man. People are so quick to label and condemn and negate one's theories and beliefs with knee-jerk and emotional reactions. I also don't get the hate-on with Carmen Boulter, who is a very highly respected Egyptologist and Prof at the U of C (University of Calgary). She brings many intriguing and thought-provoking items to the table re Egyptian history and alternate theories. I can't concur with her theories and beliefs as I myself have not delved into this particular realm, but she does not strike me at all as a dupe or unintelligent.

And besides, both Friedman and Boulter are Canadians. And I'm VERY biased towards Canucks. ;)

Anywho, that's my two cents.

ziznak

I couldn't let Boulter slide with her new-ageyness.  The idea that just the shape of a pyramid alone attracts or can create some sort of power just reeks of Hoaxboy torsion fields.  I was surprised when I learned she actually was  educated and in the field she was speaking on as well.  Now thats rare for a C2C guest they never seem to have a degree related to what they're "teaching."  Anyway take a look at her site and you'll see the tell tale courses or classes link.  I love the alternate theories regarding the pyramids origins and ancient technologies but I haven't heard one yet that I can say "OMG thats it!"

Moving on to last nights guest I actually only listened for a bit of the first hour and then hit the sack I was tired as shit.  I caught the bit where Bloom was explaining the definition of life can't be limited to the circumstances on earth.  He mentioned the extremophials existence as a case in point as proof... heard that many times before and it makes total sense.  We can't limit life to only being able to form on a planet with liquid water and hence oxygen as well.  It was my understanding that the search for alien life used the strategy of looking for similar circumstances to Earth since its the only way we can prove that life may have evolved.  If it happened this way here then it should also happen this way elsewhere... provided the conditions are met. 

I'm gonna grab the download of last nights show and check it out in full.  Seems like it was very interesting (guests) as well as amusing and frustrating and stupid (Noory.)

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on August 29, 2012, 10:36:44 AM
I couldn't let Boulter slide with her new-ageyness.  The idea that just the shape of a pyramid alone attracts or can create some sort of power just reeks of Hoaxboy torsion fields.  I was surprised when I learned she actually was  educated and in the field she was speaking on as well.  Now thats rare for a C2C guest they never seem to have a degree related to what they're "teaching."  Anyway take a look at her site and you'll see the tell tale courses or classes link.  I love the alternate theories regarding the pyramids origins and ancient technologies but I haven't heard one yet that I can say "OMG thats it!"

She's an articulate and literate proponent of the ancient Egyptian feminine mysteries which embody power, insight, balance and peace - as only the collective feminine principle can attain and sustain - and let me tell ya, Doritos Boy, as a severely pregnant and highly emotional broad right now, I salute both this sistah and the jumbo sized bag of Doritios I myself am going to polish off...bad bad bad...but they're soooo good.  ;D

ziznak

Quote from: Jasmine on August 29, 2012, 10:48:36 AM
She's an articulate and literate proponent of the ancient Egyptian feminine mysteries which embody power, insight, balance and peace - as only the collective feminine principle can attain and sustain - and let me tell ya, Doritos Boy, as a severely pregnant and highly emotional broad right now, I support my sistah!  ;)
Ok ok ok!! dang... actually went to respond to what you first posted and when I got to the reply screen there is this!  I fear your feminine mind is being affected by your feminine condition and hence, I shall not argue now... you squeeze that lil man out and then tell me you buy Boulter's theories... better yet why not take her class?? :P

and I'm eating at mom's tonight but I'm not sure what we're having yet...

Jasmine

Quote from: ziznak on August 29, 2012, 11:01:22 AM
Ok ok ok!! dang... actually went to respond to what you first posted and when I got to the reply screen there is this!  I fear your feminine mind is being affected by your feminine condition and hence, I shall not argue now... you squeeze that lil man out and then tell me you buy Boulter's theories... better yet why not take her class?? :P

...my feminine mind? How detrimental for one to be in possession of such a thing!  :o

And perhaps I shall sign up for one of her classes and become one with the sisterhood of ancient mysteries...what's a girl got to lose, I asks ya, besides the four hundred clams?

Quote from: ziznak on August 29, 2012, 11:01:22 AM
and I'm eating at mom's tonight but I'm not sure what we're having yet...

Oh, this is rich. You're somethin' else.  ;) Belittle us women, taunt us, negate our worth, place us in chains and challenge us not to subvert you, then head on over to good ole' dependable mom's house for dinner! LOL! You crack me up, kiddo ;) Whatever you do, don't argue with your dear sweet mother whilst she's preparing your evening meal...if ya know what's good for ya, that is.

...and buy some flowers for your mother! She was most likely in labour with you for hours...oh, the PAIN she went through in order to give you life! The least you can do to show your appreciation is...uh...the dishes.  ;D

ziznak

I'm sure she has a list of crap for me to do... there's always a list.  And I popped right out like a wet noodle!!

George Noory SUX!!

El Kragen

Quote from: stevesh on August 29, 2012, 07:04:53 AM
Howard Bloom usually has something interesting to say, and tonight was no exception, except as usual, Simple George insisted on turning it into a 'debate' about Intelligent Design. He even asked Bloom about his current fixation - how can there be water on the earth that sustains all the species here if it wasn't designed that way ? IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND, YOU IDIOT ! THE SPECIES EVOLVED HERE BECAUSE OF THE WATER. The Intelligent Design people assume that humans and other living things were inevitable in their current forms, so someone/something must have manipulated the enviornment to that end. Stupidity.

Unfortunately, Bloom didn't do a good enough job of explaining the process to Noory, and seemed oddly eager to kiss Norry's ass last night.

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on August 29, 2012, 07:32:05 AM
I was driven crazy by Noory responding to Bloom's occasional 'Good God' or 'Oh, my God' with an asinine giggle and a triumphant 'You said God again!!' I already wanted to reach into my iPhone and slap him very hard and often. When he came up with his 'isn't it amazing that we need water so the planet gives us rain' mantra. I batted off an email to him. Thusly:

I heard Snoory pose this question last night. I think it reveals exactly how Georges brain works and one of the many reasons why this show is in the shitter.

"So Howard, do you feel that more scientists are moving over to the idea of intelligent creation or are most of them still plodding along with real science?" 

As a bonus, another quote I heard from George a few weeks back: a caller started his question thanking George for "steering" guests and callers towards god and jesus. George replied "I do what I can"

Got to say I like Howard Bloom.

But one odd moment last night was when the interview began. Noory said, "People are  going to think you are an atheist." Bloom responded, I am an atheist. Noory.. forget perhaps? Wrong cue card?

I also keep thinking about how great Art Bell's show was when Katrina was striking. And Noory had that shot. Cancel guests and take calls from Isaac affected areas. Instead he dedicated 55 second to it during his "news" segment.

stevesh

Quote from: HorrorReporter on August 29, 2012, 12:00:20 PM

I also keep thinking about how great Art Bell's show was when Katrina was striking. And Noory had that shot. Cancel guests and take calls from Isaac affected areas. Instead he dedicated 55 second to it during his "news" segment.

Unfortunately, Noory isn't fast enough on his feet to do an unscripted 'news' show. I was thinking the other day that must be why he very rarely does any 'location' broadcasts. With a decent host, C2C could be hosted from almost anywhere, like from one of William Henry's Egypt tours, or Joshua Warren's recent Transylvania trip. Be interesting radio, but Simple George would have to ad lib for four hours, and he hasn't got it in him.

Quote from: stevesh on August 29, 2012, 12:17:02 PM
Unfortunately, Noory isn't fast enough on his feet to do an unscripted 'news' show. I was thinking the other day that must be why he very rarely does any 'location' broadcasts. With a decent host, C2C could be hosted from almost anywhere, like from one of William Henry's Egypt tours, or Joshua Warren's recent Transylvania trip. Be interesting radio, but Simple George would have to ad lib for four hours, and he hasn't got it in him.

Absolutely agree!!

And I know this has been talked about endlessly, but when Art did "open lines" they were open. And callers were many times smart.. good thinking..and during Katrina they were amazing. If Noory does "open lines" imagine! The morons calling now are the screened calls.Imagine what gets weeded out.

ItsOver

Quote from: HorrorReporter on August 29, 2012, 12:00:20 PM
Got to say I like Howard Bloom.

But one odd moment last night was when the interview began. Noory said, "People are  going to think you are an atheist." Bloom responded, I am an atheist. Noory.. forget perhaps? Wrong cue card?...........

Another classic Noory moment.  :D  As others have mentioned, one reason for listening is to catch Nitwit Noory at his brilliant best.

Jasmine

Quote from: HorrorReporter on August 29, 2012, 12:32:53 PM
Absolutely agree!!

And I know this has been talked about endlessly, but when Art did "open lines" they were open. And callers were many times smart.. good thinking..and during Katrina they were amazing. If Noory does "open lines" imagine! The morons calling now are the screened calls.Imagine what gets weeded out.

I clearly recall Art Bell's Katrina show, and it and the vast majority of the callers were spot-on. What, or rather, who gets weeded out with Noory today re callers are (obviously) the insightful ones who think outside the box and will challenge him and call him on his inane inabilty to disseminate any semblance of logic. And, there's always that infamous seven second delay - plenty of time to white-out plenty of folks.

DebbyS

I'm about ten pages behind in reading, but I thought I should mention that Snoory and company are back live in Albuquerque on KIVA, "rock the talk" on 1550 (though apparently they're changing to 1600 Friday morning, August 31).  This used to be the "Disney music for young teenage girls" station.

From their program guide (which surprisingly is already on line), they are our 3rd far- to very-far-right-wing talk radio station (compared to only one politically progressive station -- so much for "liberals" taking over the airwaves).  KIVA does seem to have some good shows scheduled for the weekends, like Michio Kaku's hour-long show, if I can remember to listen.  Otherwise on weeknight I'll listen to Norman Goldman then Mike Malloy on "tape" delay. Almost all national media we get here in Abq is on delay; I figure if the world ends, we'll hear about it two hours later.

Now that I can listen to sNoory loud and clear here in town... he still sux mightily.  And KIVA doesn't seem to be going to broadcast the show Sunday night/Monday morning, though they will have the "best of Art Bell" Sat nights, which I don't plan to listen to because it's out of date and I never was much of a Bell fan.

So, citizens of Duke City... rejoice????

Quote from: NoMoreNoory on August 29, 2012, 07:32:05 AM
I was driven crazy by Noory responding to Bloom's occasional 'Good God' or 'Oh, my God' with an asinine giggle and a triumphant 'You said God again!!' I already wanted to reach into my iPhone and slap him very hard and often. When he came up with his 'isn't it amazing that we need water so the planet gives us rain' mantra. I batted off an email to him. Thusly:

WTF

Oh my god, how did I miss this?

First Hour: Bill Nye, "the Science Guy," talks about why he believes creationism is not good for kids.

Please, someone upload this or link to it, I must listen.

Yiddle

Don't mean to be a spoiler, but George certainly did his thing!   Clearly he hadn't even bothered to take a few seconds to search youtube for the video in question.  Seems to have treated Nye as just  someone with a unique point of view (to which he gives equally to his like-minded christian bretheren) because he can't follow the clear, logical explainations of why creationism is  NOT SCIENCE.  Not having a clue as the significance and breadth of this issue (despite Nye laying it all out), George seems to think his role as a good host is to bridge some middle ground between the creationists and scientists, George tries to get Nye to say that maybe we can all agree that perhaps everything he is saying is true and maybe someone [like god] created that!  Classic George!  Bravo!!!  Anyway, despite George's inability to really get a grasp on the arguement, Nye manages to get his message out.  I like Bill Nye.  If I had kids, I'd want them to watch his show. 

Quote from: thefamilyghost on August 30, 2012, 12:19:05 AM
Oh my god, how did I miss this?

First Hour: Bill Nye, "the Science Guy," talks about why he believes creationism is not good for kids.

Please, someone upload this or link to it, I must listen.

Sardondi

Quote from: Jasmine on August 29, 2012, 08:12:20 AM
George Snoory is a schmaltzy schlocky shlemiel schmutz klutz shmendrik schmuck schlock who shleps and schmoozes his way through his spiel and shtick whilst giggling like a ten year old gentile Yente. He is oysgeshpilt and a Bulbenik and he gives me the chalushes. His interviews are a mishmash of chazzerai and he comes across as a davkanist who dribbles drek. Ech! He is not a mentsh; he is batshit meshagas who is full of chutzpah and needs to be tossed out on his tuches. Stop ootzing me, George Noory!

Oy Gevalt! Oy Gotenyu!

That's the single largest helping of Yiddish idiom I've ever seen. Well at least what this goy thinks is Yiddish idiom. There just weren't a whole lot of cross-cultural opportunities in 60's and 70's popular culture. I don't mean actors, writers, musicians, etc who were Jewish: I mean fictional figures or characters who were created as literally or undeniably Jewish. 

I suppose people were aware that 50's comedy icons Milton Berle and Sid Caesar were Jewish, and before them the Marx Brothers and George Burns. But while they didn't hide it, they didn't really highlight their Jewishness. In the 1960's Woody Allen and Neil Simon used their childhood experiences in Jewish families and neighborhoods in their works. Mel Brooks often used outrageous Jewish caricatures and stereotypes, as did Simon to a somewhat lesser degree, and both employed Yiddish phrases in their writing. Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara (Ben's parents) made friction between the Jewish husband and the Irish Catholic wife the centerpiece of their 60's comedy routines.  Dustin Hoffman, Elliott Gould, George Segal and Barbra Streisand played Jewish characters in some of their movies of that era (which Gould continued to do even more broadly, and hilariously, as "Reuben" in the Ocean's Eleven film series).

In the 70's the Rhoda Morgenstern character on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was played broadly as a Jewish yenta by Valerie Harper. Richard Benjamin played "Jewish" roles in the movies of novels Goodbye, Columbus by Phillip Roth and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. A network even tried a tv series about an Irish Catholic/Jewish marriage with Bridget Loves Bernie with David Birney and Meredith Baxter (who later married Birney). One season I think.

There was much more to choose from in literature, rich and complex Jewish characters by authors like J.D. Salinger, Saul Bellow, Issac Bashevis Singer, Norman Mailer, Susan Sontag, E.L. Doctorow, Erica Jong, Chaim Potok, Phillip Roth, Joseph Heller, Fran Lebowitz.

I'm sure I've left a lot out, but these were some of the figures who paved the way for more honest and tasteful portrayals of Jewish American life in both big and small screen roles by the likes of serious actors like...Fran Drescher and Adam Sandler. (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.) Well, for Lanie Kazan then. Her turn as the Brooklyn mother of the lead character in My Favorite Year is sublime. 1982 was a very strong year for films, with Gandhi beating out E.T., Tootsie, The Verdict and Missing (the only reason Sophie's Choice wasn't nominated in Best Picture was its crushingly depressing climax). But Supporting Actress was weak, weak, weak. Jessica Lange took it for Tootsie, and she was okay. But Kazan was stupendous, and she wasn't even nominated, and it's a crime. The Academy in those days was still trying to project an oh-so-serious image , and comedies and comic roles were frowned on, particularly if acted by a zaftig (Hey, I know a Yiddish word!) Jewish woman who had once posed for Playboy. You can see a lot of her Jewish mom of Favorite Year in her role as the mother in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

Well, once again I've posted a damn epistle that few will bother to read. And they shouldn't. No discipline. Maybe this is like writing on a crystal meth run. Except I just drank coffee too late.

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on August 30, 2012, 05:54:33 AM
alien stool sample lava lamp

Actually I believe that is an encapsulation of what passes for the insipid representation of noory's soul.

RJ

There was more than a few moments when Bill Nye seemed impatient and frustrated with Noory's questions and comments.

ShayP

Quote from: RJ on August 30, 2012, 09:14:58 AM
There was more than a few moments when Bill Nye seemed impatient and frustrated with Noory's questions and comments.

Along with the callers.  I enjoyed his one response as a very stern "Are you kidding me!?"

Jasmine

Quote from: Sardondi on August 30, 2012, 01:59:51 AM
That's the single largest helping of Yiddish idiom I've ever seen.

Ah! Nothing compared to the helpings of bagels with cream cheese and lox I consumed at breakfast this morning, honey. And you should see my dinner table when I serve the lokshenkugel! I'm a baleboste, and I slave all day preparing the meals, working my fingers to the bone. I do it out of the love in my heart. I'm not kvetshing. Although let me tell you something...with the weight I've gained in the last four months, I should have taken the cream cheese and lox and applied them directly to my thighs. I'm sufferin'! I'm sufferin'! But does anybody care? Never mind, I'll make do.

Well at least what this goy thinks is Yiddish idiom. There just weren't a whole lot of cross-cultural opportunities in 60's and 70's popular culture. I don't mean actors, writers, musicians, etc who were Jewish: I mean fictional figures or characters who were created as literally or undeniably Jewish. 

I suppose people were aware that 50's comedy icons Milton Berle and Sid Caesar were Jewish, and before them the Marx Brothers and George Burns. But while they didn't hide it, they didn't really highlight their Jewishness. In the 1960's Woody Allen and Neil Simon used their childhood experiences in Jewish families and neighborhoods in their works. Mel Brooks often used outrageous Jewish caricatures and stereotypes, as did Simon to a somewhat lesser degree, and both employed Yiddish phrases in their writing. Jerry Stiller and Anne Meara (Ben's parents) made friction between the Jewish husband and the Irish Catholic wife the centerpiece of their 60's comedy routines.  Dustin Hoffman, Elliott Gould, George Segal and Barbra Streisand played Jewish characters in some of their movies of that era (which Gould continued to do even more broadly, and hilariously, as "Reuben" in the Ocean's Eleven film series).

In the 70's the Rhoda Morgenstern character on the Mary Tyler Moore Show was played broadly as a Jewish yenta by Valerie Harper. Richard Benjamin played "Jewish" roles in the movies of novels Goodbye, Columbus by Phillip Roth and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. A network even tried a tv series about an Irish Catholic/Jewish marriage with Bridget Loves Bernie with David Birney and Meredith Baxter (who later married Birney). One season I think.

There was much more to choose from in literature, rich and complex Jewish characters by authors like J.D. Salinger, Saul Bellow, Issac Bashevis Singer, Norman Mailer, Susan Sontag, E.L. Doctorow, Erica Jong, Chaim Potok, Phillip Roth, Joseph Heller, Fran Lebowitz.

I'm sure I've left a lot out, but these were some of the figures who paved the way for more honest and tasteful portrayals of Jewish American life in both big and small screen roles by the likes of serious actors like...Fran Drescher and Adam Sandler. (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.) Well, for Lanie Kazan then. Her turn as the Brooklyn mother of the lead character in My Favorite Year is sublime. 1982 was a very strong year for films, with Gandhi beating out E.T., Tootsie, The Verdict and Missing (the only reason Sophie's Choice wasn't nominated in Best Picture was its crushingly depressing climax). But Supporting Actress was weak, weak, weak. Jessica Lange took it for Tootsie, and she was okay. But Kazan was stupendous, and she wasn't even nominated, and it's a crime. The Academy in those days was still trying to project an oh-so-serious image , and comedies and comic roles were frowned on, particularly if acted by a zaftig (Hey, I know a Yiddish word!) Jewish woman who had once posed for Playboy. You can see a lot of her Jewish mom of Favorite Year in her role as the mother in My Big Fat Greek Wedding.

BTW, I loved My Favourite Year...a simply brilliant film.

Well, once again I've posted a damn epistle that few will bother to read. And they shouldn't. No discipline. Maybe this is like writing on a crystal meth run. Except I just drank coffee too late.

Epistle?! That's so Christian! Oy! Well, for what it's worth, I read your entire post, and as always, you enlighten me and make me laugh. You're an insightful and good Gentile. But does anyone care what I think? No. But never mind, I'll be alright.

But you forgot about Buddy Hackett! And  don't talk to me about that Jerry Stiller and Ann Meara! How can those two compare with that old 70's show, Bridget Loves Bernie! For cryin' out loud! I hear they purchased all of Meredith Baxter's wardrobe in the garment district at wholesale prices!

"Bridget Loves Bernie" - PILOT episode - pt. 1 of 3!!

SHALOM!

ziznak

Must have been some of that Blue Jewish meth thats been going round?? ehh?  instead of sugar in yer coffee.... OI!

"Heisenburg"
"you're goddamned right."

Eddie Coyle

Jewish kid asks his father for 50 bucks...

The father says "40 bucks? What do you want 30 bucks for? I guess 20 bucks isn't too bad, alright's here's the 10 bucks"

McPhallus

Quote from: ziznak on August 30, 2012, 11:31:06 AM
lol the proverbial "jew-down"o

And his avatar is of a guy named "king" getting arrested for embezzlement. :)

Morgus

Quote from: RJ on August 30, 2012, 09:14:58 AM
I also noticed in the last half hour of his interview and callers, Bill Nye started commenting a lot about choosing a political candidate in the election that would want to spend a lot of money on science and stopping global warming which he claimed was scientifically proven.
Wonder which side was he promoting?  8)