• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Art Bell

Started by sillydog, April 07, 2008, 11:21:45 PM

Cynnie

Quote from: EarthAlien007 on February 01, 2015, 05:05:29 PM
Evidently the phone lines are for paid callers.

Spewing coffee here !

b_dubb

Quote from: bateman on February 01, 2015, 05:11:31 PM

Didn't we establish some time ago that Jimmy Fallon is the late night TV equivalent of George Noory?

bateman

Quote from: b_dubb on February 04, 2015, 10:10:47 AM
Didn't we establish some time ago that Jimmy Fallon is the late night TV equivalent of George Noory?

The case could certainly be made.

Marc.Knight

A principle that is becoming as American as apple pie:

"Being connected is more important than being competent."

This gets proven every time one turns on Fox News, or any other news source, and listens to the glut of incompetent empty suits (or dresses) disguised as "experts".  However, if one is not connected, and not competent, then one buys a fake PhD and goes on C2C.   

Nick el Ass

Jimmy Fallon sucks too. Btw, does anyone know if Red Elk is still around because I always enjoyed hearing him on with Art back in the day.

WOTR

Quote from: puddintame on February 04, 2015, 08:23:18 AM
I forgot to add:  As for "closing music", there can never be anything at the close of Art's show but Crystal Gayle with "Midnight in the Desert"!!
But that can be moved to the opening...  More people will hear it and it does set a mood (or at least that is my 2 cents...)

WOTR

Thank-you.  I do not have television but my brother in law pulled up some of his stuff to show me how amazingly funny the guy is.  I just did not get it and was wondering if I was the only one (the conversation involved 4 others all raving about the mans comedic talents...)

AZ/CO

Wow!  I find Fallon really entertaining.  I don't watch him regularly but when I see his
show it is enjoyable.  Don't you think those "Thank You" notes segments are funny?

Eddie Coyle

Jimmy Kimmel would be the John B Wells/Alex Jones. Celebrity ass kissing bar none(no mean feat in late night talk showdom) mixed with the phoniest bits presented as reality.

ks3484

Quote from: pyewacket on February 03, 2015, 04:22:45 PM
The link here gives a different opinion and contained a video of an Art Bell interview, unfortunately the video had been revoked due to copyright infringement. 

http://thedemoniacal.blogspot.com/2014/04/dr-evelyn-paglini-has-passed-away.html

Whoever wrote that piece on The Demonical BlogSpot failed to sign their rant about Ms. Paglini. That leads me to believe that there may have been some sort of conflict with her in life.

I guess that's just par for the course for a person of any stature or success in life. I am also lead to believe that a negative salutation in the black art's and demon's world may be a form of high praise. Exactly how much credibility do you or anyone give to another person who has made their demonical intentions known?

The General

Would that make Art the Johnny Carson TV equivalent?
Or is Art the Jack Paar?  Or perhaps even the Ernie Kovacs?
Have I gone too far afield here?

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: The General on February 04, 2015, 03:41:49 PM

Ian Punnett is the Dick Cavett.

nbirnes

Quote from: Zetaspeak on February 04, 2015, 04:52:48 AM

Of course Art is known for the great voice and the unique overnight topics. But I think he was underappreciated for his innovation use new technology and what they call now multi-platform experience with stuff like live updates on his site, webcam of his show, and fast blasts. All of those things were way ahead of its time. He was so ahead of the curve in adding a multilayer experience while that technology was just starting out and we were mostly on dial up. Could you imagine what he could do today.

(If this is a duplicate post, I apologize in advance.) But in the other one, I said something along the lines of -- These are all innovations from Keith Rowland. I am excited for his new network, which will be ahead of the curve again, once the ride gets started.

Quote from: Eddie Coyle on February 04, 2015, 03:19:28 PM

Jimmy Kimmel would be the John B Wells/Alex Jones. Celebrity ass kissing bar none(no mean feat in late night talk showdom) mixed with the phoniest bits presented as reality.

I thought Jimmy Kimmel was more like Jimmy Church -- kind of amateurish B-grade Joe Lunchbox talent, but then again I've only seen/heard each one or two times.

Eddie Coyle

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on February 04, 2015, 04:43:53 PM

I thought Jimmy Kimmel was more like Jimmy Church -- kind of amateurish B-grade Joe Lunchbox talent, but then again I've only seen/heard each one or two times.

That's an apt comparison, Kimmel is the least talented person in late night. Of the stable of C2C hosts in the past few years, he's astoundingly average.

wr250

no , noory is the gold standard for talk show suckage. there is worse than noory, but its not a talk show (the lifetime network channels come to mind immediately )

sydtron

Quote from: The General on February 04, 2015, 03:41:49 PM

Art would be more a Steve Allen type.  And Steve Allen was good!

Catsmile

I'll just leave this here.

ItsOver

Quote from: sydtron on February 04, 2015, 06:36:22 PM
Art would be more a Steve Allen type.  And Steve Allen was good!
Yes, definitely.

ks3484

Quote from: astroguy on February 04, 2015, 08:30:37 AM

I don't know how to be more clear here, so just as you said that was your last post on this topic, this is mine.  Take it however you want at this point.

Astroguy,

I understand your apprehension.

If I'm not mistaken I'd imagine it going something like this....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

DebateTopic: Helium    Moderator: somebody agreed to

Moderator: Tonight's topic for discussion is Helium. Mr. Astroguy guessed the right number so he'll lead off with tonight's topic for debate. Astroguy you have one minute - starting now-

Mr. Astroguy: Okay Helium. Helium is a noble gas. Helium's atomic number is 2 on the periodic table. Helium is a gas released by the Sun.

Moderator: Mr. Astroguy thank you. Now Mr. Hoagland it's your turn - go!

Mr. Hoagland: There's a reason Helium is number 2 on the periodic table. Helium is one of the lightest elements found on our planet. Helium is a finite element because it was left on our planet to refuel space ships that til this very day frequent our galaxy. You see the alien race known as Nommos told the Dogon tribe .....

Moderator: Mr. Hoagland time!

Mr Hoagland: but wait...I was just getting to the good part boys and girls. You see the Nommos are from the Sirius star system....

Moderator: Mr. Hoagland please yield the floor! Your time has expired!

Moderator: Mr. Hoagland your time has expired it's Mr. Astroguy's time!

Mr Hoagland: let me entertain you...boys and girls...let me enterain you....lalalalala

ks3484

Quote from: Marc.Knight on February 04, 2015, 10:47:25 AM

"Being connected is more important than being competent."

This gets proven every time one turns on Fox News, or any other news source, and listens to the glut of incompetent empty suits (or dresses) disguised as "experts".  However, if one is not connected, and not competent, then one buys a fake PhD and goes on C2C.

There's already a term for it believe it or not. It's known as the Peter Principle.

ItsOver

Quote from: ks3484 on February 04, 2015, 08:22:36 PM

There's already a term for it believe it or not. It's known as the Peter Principle.
I propose it be renamed The Jorch Example.

wr250

Quote from: Marc.Knight on February 04, 2015, 10:47:25 AM

apples originated in Kazakhstan. as did apple pie. 

i propose this : as amarikun as jorch snoory.

ks3484

Quote from: ItsOver on February 04, 2015, 08:42:45 PM
I propose it be renamed The Jorch Example.

Go for it--good luck  :D

ks3484

Quote from: wr250 on February 04, 2015, 08:52:50 PM
apples originated in Kazakhstan. as did apple pie. 

i propose this : as amarikun as jorch snoory.

There's a consortium of Colleges, Universities, and Dictionary Editors you might have problems getting them to adopt this one.

But go for it - see what happens....

astroguy

Quote from: ks3484 on February 04, 2015, 08:08:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken I'd imagine it going something like this....
You forgot to mention, "Like my good friend [insert Walter Cronkite, Gene Roddenberry, or someone else] said ..." or "Like I told my good friend [insert Walter Cronkite, Gene Roddenberry, or someone else] ..."

phrodo

Seriously? Jimmy Fallon is extremely talented on many levels - comedy, musicianship and interviewing to name -- perhaps has the most talent of anyone to host the Tonight Show ever .. lightyears apart from the talentless black hole that is Jorch. Jay Leno = Jorch.
Just saw this earlier today from Jimmy... seriously give it a listen.

Two Neil Youngs Sing "Old Man"

bateman

This is the only funny thing he's ever done as far as I'm concerned

http://youtu.be/Qwh7CRPyqa8

popple

Fade to Black realness right there.