• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The Other Side of Midnight - Richard C. Hoagland - Live Chat Thread

Started by cosmic hobo, June 24, 2015, 09:00:52 PM

GravitySucks

Quote from: Yorkshire pud on November 08, 2015, 06:03:35 AM
Since when has a collective plan/agreement on Bellgab been adhered to? The average Hoagland listener (and I've done extensive research-well, ten secondsworth) has an attention span that lasts until the next jaw dropping utterance from his mouth, by which time, there's another shiny thing to grab, run with (for three seconds, sometimes four) until the next. It's like mainlining 'total bollox'.

norland2424

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 08, 2015, 06:22:44 AM
Coming soon to the Mutual Broadcasting Network

Alongside the Other :-[ Side of Midnight with Richard C. Hoaxland and Scotty MmmmmmmKay

Hahaha

chefist

Quote from: MichaelFromVA on November 08, 2015, 06:22:44 AM
Coming soon to the Mutual Broadcasting Network

Alongside the Other Side of Midnight with Richard C. Hoaxland and Scotty MmmmmmmKay

You better reference my post originating that show name!  ;)

ItsOver

Quote from: SciFiAuthor on November 08, 2015, 03:03:29 AM
MV owns our souls. I'm good with that part of things, it's just the no decent radio after Art that bothers me.
I'm happy.  Happy we have Art.  It wasn't that long ago it was only this doofus.

whoozit

Quote from: henge0stone on November 08, 2015, 07:42:18 AM
Anyone who makes up their own math to prove they are always right has issues.
It worked for Leibniz and Newton.  Then again they discovered calculus, they didn't make it up.  RCH is not Leibniz or Newton. You are right, he made up math. 

FLLFlash

Congress did this and it doesn't work for them either.

albrecht

Quote from: whoozit on November 08, 2015, 08:15:08 AM
It worked for Leibniz and Newton.  Then again they discovered calculus, they didn't make it up.  RCH is not Leibniz or Newton. You are right, he made up math.
Whether "math," of various types is "discovered" or "invented" is a subject of much debate over the centuries and involve much debate and precision in definitions and deserves a thread of its own. But clearly RCH's "torsion field physics" will not be referenced by anyone of substance in the debate.

And I really like the show and was, frankly, surprised how good it was in the early days with Rossy as producer and RCH engaging with guests, quirky technical problems, positivity with regard to the future (in, conspiracy, UFO, politics, etc, as opposed to usual doom&gloom,) and even some self-deprecation on occasion by RCH (!!)  It went south quickly soon after and his true nature apparently was shown; now is tedious, at best, but not even fun as a perverse 'watch a trainwreck' way.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 12:06:37 PM
...now is tedious, at best, but not even fun as a perverse 'watch a trainwreck' way.

I suppose you're right.  I just got to liking Uncle Hoagie putting me to sleep with comforting nostalgia punctuated with tales of giant flying arcologies and 2000-foot ocean liners on Mars, and I'm still hanging on.

FLLFlash

It's not a movie special effects spectacular type of train wreck. It's more of a slow motion, man going over the waterfall type of train wreck featuring a "victim" who's refused to grab the offered life ring too many times. I will actually miss his zaniness when it's over.

I'm hoping that Friday's show was an aberration. Hopefully Hoagland only had that Amanda chick on because he saw talk on here about the show being better when he gets out of his Mars/Pluto comfort zone, which happens to be true but nobody wants to hear some unknown singer and her "songs". Keep the topics to science/history/paranormal/science fiction and he'll do fine. Problem is he doesn't have a competent producer now so good luck with that.

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 08, 2015, 12:24:34 PM
I just got to liking Uncle Hoagie putting me to sleep with comforting nostalgia punctuated with tales of giant flying arcologies and 2000-foot ocean liners on Mars, and I'm still hanging on.

I feel exactly the same way and hope he turns it around.

expat

I tell you this -- if Hoagland makes a financial loss on this enterprise -- or if he even thinks he might -- he'll be outta there so fast he'll red-shift.

chefist

Quote from: expat on November 08, 2015, 01:53:58 PM
I tell you this -- if Hoagland makes a financial loss on this enterprise -- or if he even thinks he might -- he'll be outta there so fast he'll red-shift.

Something tells me that he has no skin in the game...

shell88

I hope he can turn it around too.  He's very entertaining when he wants to be ......just needs to get some advice and swallow some of that pride...maybe take a sabbatical for week.

Rix Gins

Expat...You were supposed to capitalize the e on enterprise and then follow up with a (pun intended).

Looks like RCH might not be on much longer. Who replaces him?  that person would have to be dedicated to working 5 days a week. They need to get someone who can commit to that and provide a quality show. It's a prime gig for someone to make a name for themselves. It sucks LMH is on KGRA because she's be perfect.

K_Dubb

It's squishy, though, cuz beyond the $1000/mo. bandwidth charge (whatever that is) we know about, I think his costs are minimal, particularly since he's probably not paying Scotty, either.  He doesn't have Art's bumper music fees.

Even if only half of his reported growth rate of 15 new subscribers/day is true (and allowing for attrition) he got the 200 he needs to cover that in a month.

So it's whether it's worth it to him to continue at whatever rate remains beyond that.  I'm sure he's not making a fortune, probably a couple grand at best.  So the $ is in the range where it just might be ego-satisfying enough to throw back in the faces of the peanut gallery and quit in a huff.  Ego will decide it, IMO.

albrecht

A weird show, the last one. I don't understand how doing a show repeat tests bandwidth?  :o The only possible thing I can figure is it could be used, if announced prior (which I'm not sure it was,) on how much new bandwidth new listeners use (because, presumably, regulars would not tune in to a repeat?) Still bizarre. The "no labels" aside/rant was weird but, I guess (?), he is saying that his show "cannot be labelled," that is, he will have musicians, Ufologists, conspiracists, new-agers, actors, etc and you "can't label his show?"

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 02:35:57 PM
A weird show, the last one. I don't understand how doing a show repeat tests bandwidth?  :o The only possible thing I can figure is it could be used, if announced prior (which I'm not sure it was,) on how much new bandwidth new listeners use (because, presumably, regulars would not tune in to a repeat?) Still bizarre. The "no labels" aside/rant was weird but, I guess (?), he is saying that his show "cannot be labelled," that is, he will have musicians, Ufologists, conspiracists, new-agers, actors, etc and you "can't label his show?"

I think what he was testing was how little effort he and Scotty can put in to keeping listeners happy.

Haha, even Dick could appreciate that post.

Chris Rogers · Works at Jazz musician
This was an amazing show! Amanda has much to say - in her story about the quest for personal authenticity - and in her music. Delving into the nature of the creative artist, the way in which he/she connects with the 'source' to manifest resonance and poetry - in my view is not that far off from our great quest to comprehend the mysteries of Cydonia, Ceres, and many of the 'usual' topics covered on OSOM. I suspect the universe just felt a little bit smaller for those listeners who felt a resonance with Amanda and Richard's conversation. I know it does for me! The connections being made 'from and witthin the ether' in terms of human consciousness by this radio show which literally goes around the world - are being faciliated by our maginificant host RCH who is and always has been a true visionary. His instincts and stewardship for this show are also ahead of the curve - and spot-on! Thanks Scott & RCH!
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Richard Adair
A great show....A side of RCH we don't very often see interviewing a singer/song writer, well done. Amand has a great voice and the somgs we heard were just perfect , will be looking for her music on the net from now on...
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

Dave Mason · Sandbank, Argyll and Bute
Although very different from the type of subject usually covered, this has turned out to be a really enjoyable show. Amanda is an interesting, open, and very talented person. "Blaming It On The Rain" is one of the best songs that I've heard in a very long time
Like · Reply · Nov 7, 2015 1:23am

The comments left on the OSOM website. The Hoaxland cult is strong.

Well, Isaac Newton did invent differential calculus over breakfast to support his theories on classical mechanics.  Granted he was kind of fucked up.

(I'm not comparing Dick Hoagland to Isaac Newton).

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on November 08, 2015, 02:46:21 PM
I think what he was testing was how little effort he and Scotty can put in to keeping listeners happy.
I found it interesting that RCH expanded on the Norry concept of "emerging artists" into a long-form format and also had some Norry-like creepyness when interviewing Amanda. I'm sure she is a fine singer/composer, or whatever, but not my cup of tea, and seemed like easy-listening/lounge/soft-jazz to me. Which could be right up RCH's alley because I could see him hanging out in a lot of hotel lounges over the years before and after UFO and NewAge gigs.

Quote from: Saltheart on November 08, 2015, 02:20:32 AM
What bothers me about this is something that has bothered me my whole life.
When I was 25, I was stunned at how stupid I was at 15.
When I was 35, I was stunned at how stupid I was at 25.
When I was 45.. you get the point.
It has always confounded me that this is how life works. You would think at some point that shit would stop.
RCH is 70, I am 50, I have a couple more cycles yet to go through.
Even a 70 year old is stupid to his 80 year old self.
That sucks.
:(

When I was 17, I thought I was past my prime and used to be way smarter when I was 15.
When I was 25, I thought I was past my prime and used to be way smarter when I was 19.
When I was 35, I thought I was past my prime and used to be way smarter when I was in my 20s.
Now I'm 47 and convinced I'm developing dementia.

Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

I do remember my father once saying you don't know anything until you're 70 (on his 70th birthday), while pointedly looking down on all the 'youngsters' who run the world.  I took it as a personal insult.

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 03:03:10 PM
I found it interesting that RCH expanded on the Norry concept of "emerging artists" into a long-form format and also had some Norry-like creepyness when interviewing Amanda. I'm sure she is a fine singer/composer, or whatever, but not my cup of tea, and seemed like easy-listening/lounge/soft-jazz to me. Which could be right up RCH's alley because I could see him hanging out in a lot of hotel lounges over the years before and after UFO and NewAge gigs.

Haha yeah I'd buy him a drink just for the laughs.

Ok give him a pass on the Amanda show cuz she gave him free music.  I was astonished, though, at how he failed to track what she was saying, e. g. trying to imagine a conflict with her sister that she never even hinted at.  Less creepy and more disinterested.

norland2424

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 08, 2015, 03:00:08 PM
Chris Rogers · Works at Jazz musician
This was an amazing show! Amanda has much to say - in her story about the quest for personal authenticity - and in her music. Delving into the nature of the creative artist, the way in which he/she connects with the 'source' to manifest resonance and poetry - in my view is not that far off from our great quest to comprehend the mysteries of Cydonia, Ceres, and many of the 'usual' topics covered on OSOM. I suspect the universe just felt a little bit smaller for those listeners who felt a resonance with Amanda and Richard's conversation. I know it does for me! The connections being made 'from and witthin the ether' in terms of human consciousness by this radio show which literally goes around the world - are being faciliated by our maginificant host RCH who is and always has been a true visionary. His instincts and stewardship for this show are also ahead of the curve - and spot-on! Thanks Scott & RCH!
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Richard Adair
A great show....A side of RCH we don't very often see interviewing a singer/song writer, well done. Amand has a great voice and the somgs we heard were just perfect , will be looking for her music on the net from now on...
Like · Reply · 23 hrs

Although very different from the type of subject usually covered, this has turned out to be a really enjoyable show. Amanda is an interesting, open, and very talented person. "Blaming It On The Rain" is one of the best songs that I've heard in a very long time

The comments left on the OSOM website. The Hoaxland cult is strong.

That chris rogers was arguing with trostol and left page fulls of comments when he blocked him haha

bateman

Quote from: Darth Sandra on November 08, 2015, 03:00:08 PM

trostol

Quote from: norland2424 on November 08, 2015, 03:35:40 PM
That chris rogers was arguing with trostol and left page fulls of comments when he blocked him haha

wow that Chris guy a complete nutter

zeebo

Hoagie needs to expand his profits to keep the show alive.  I'm thinking a line of Amanda-designed sundresses, maybe with a tasteful Accutron print.

Quote from: albrecht on November 08, 2015, 03:03:10 PM
I found it interesting that RCH expanded on the Norry concept of "emerging artists" into a long-form format and also had some Norry-like creepyness when interviewing Amanda.

This could be the start of a whole new direction for OSOM, and would be the best source of unintentional comedy since Snoory took over Coast. LA is chockful of wannabe singers/actresses/models working as waitresses and bartenders. RCH would have an endless supply of guests if he and Scott trolled the bars and restaurants rounding them up, Robin could come along to do "Making Of" style documentary videos and upload these to Youtube as an extra revenue stream. Then the singers would sing their songs, the actresses do H.P. Lovecraft readings and the models have their pics on Radio With Pictures as Hoagland does commentary "I refer you to picture #3 check out THOSE arcologies MMMMM".