• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

If you were a tyrant, what would you ban?

Started by zeebo, August 22, 2014, 12:55:55 AM

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 24, 2014, 03:38:47 PM
....every tyrant needs a harem, because exerting complete societal control with an iron fist can be very stressful, so it's only natural that you'd want to unwind once in awhile.

It's that kind of reasonable logic that will keep you comfortably part of my ruling elite.

Kelt

Anyone who thinks others MUST do and think as they do, be that worshipping a sky-pixie, not worshipping a sky-pixie, putting the military on a pedestal, pouring buckets of ice water on themselves, or any other peer-pressure bullshit.

Fuck all of that.

bateman

In NYC, fat tourists with their rolling luggage that takes up the entire goddamn sidewalk.

Quote from: bateman on August 25, 2014, 07:59:18 PM
In NYC, fat tourists with their rolling luggage that takes up the entire goddamn sidewalk.

And cutesy NYC photo shoots of models made up to look like fat tourists with rolling luggage that take up the entire goddamn sidewalk and more.

Kelt

Quote from: bateman on August 25, 2014, 07:59:18 PM

Left to right.

Would. Would not.

bateman

Quote from: Kelt on August 25, 2014, 08:27:16 PM
Left to right.

Would. Would not.

Put the hat over his face & I bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Quote from: bateman on August 25, 2014, 08:29:23 PM
Put the hat over his face & I bet you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

One of them's a guy?

zeebo

Quote from: Kelt on August 25, 2014, 07:55:37 PM
Anyone who thinks others MUST do and think as they do, be that worshipping a sky-pixie ...

It's hard to pick the right one anyway, some are just drones.

onan

Bicyclists, specifically organized groups that take over miner state highways. Even more specifically bicyclists that congregate on those highways doing 20mph in a 55mph zone.

wr250

what would i ban:

stupid web overlays "subscribe to our site!" ,etc

spammers -punishable by death

botnets - botnet creators punished by death

late night "variety shows" that are actually infomercials for some alleged cure for ______ that is being suppressed by "the man", big pharma ,govt ,etc.

tv commercials for prescription drugs.

tv commercials for alcohol

tv commercials limited to 5 minutes every 1/2 hour. and no you cant run the commercials during the credits, as that counts toward the 5 minute max. so let the credits roll.

yes "tv" includes cable,satellite,OTA, and IPTV and any other "pay to watch" tv service. TA counts as it is required to be broadcast on said pay services.

patent trolls. i would do this by making software patents illegal. use copyright instead, thats what it is for.

copyright limits: change to 5 years from filing date with a 5 year extension possible at the end of the 1st 5 years (and then it ends.) ,because i will make you file to enforce copyright. not life +75 years. thats just stupid. no-one cares about a 130 year old work of music going into the public domain. no one cares about a 30 yr old piece of music going into the public domain, except the RIAA.

only creators can file for patent/copyright. they cannot transfer either to anyone except legitimate heirs (heirs being a real person with a birth certificate from anywhere in the world, corporations need not apply). a copyright holder may assign a corporation some legal rights to enforce the copyright/patent (potentially for a fee) ,but the copyright/patent always stays with the creator.

corporations being "persons"

tax evasion via offshore sales. your founded in the US, you pay US taxes on all income, regardless of source . did you realize that between microsoft, google and apple, they evaded paying almost 100 billion in taxes? and thats just those three, not counting any other large worldwide companies.in other words: i have to pay tax on foreign income you should too. 

zeebo

Quote from: wr250 on August 26, 2014, 09:31:58 AM
tv commercials for prescription drugs.

Absolutely, these would be banned on my first day as tyrant.  Especially ones with long listings of horrifying side effects.

Quote from: wr250 on August 26, 2014, 09:31:58 AM

no one cares about a 30 yr old piece of music going into the public domain, except the RIAA.

And the person(s) who wrote it. 

zeebo

GEICO ads. 

And furthermore, anyone who ever had even the most tangential association with creating, acting in, or distributing said ads. These people would be labelled as "untouchables" and to be shunned by all others.  The worst offenders, say those cavemen or the pinocchio guy, would be exiled to someplace out of the way, say the Utah's Bonneville Salt Flats, and be surrounded by massive speakers that would blare "15 Minutes Could ...." all day long. 

I would ban big ass yachts that do nothing but sit in a marina all year, wasting money, resources, oil, and probably having required the creation of a new strip mine somewhere in Chile.  I'd use the proceeds from the sale of each one to feed a city in Haiti.

And planes practicing maneuvers over my house.  Did I mention planes?

Tarbaby

Quote from: onan on August 26, 2014, 03:44:25 AM
Bicyclists, specifically organized groups that take over miner state highways. Even more specifically bicyclists that congregate on those highways doing 20mph in a 55mph zone.
55 mph is the maximum speed allowed, not the minimum. You can't expect bicyclists to peddle at 55 mph. The law is you must learn to share the road with your bretheren.;-)

zeebo

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 26, 2014, 02:39:26 PM
55 mph is the maximum speed allowed, not the minimum. You can't expect bicyclists to peddle at 55 mph. The law is you must learn to share the road with your bretheren.;-)

Sorry, I'm with Onan on this one.  Most major roads were built for motorized vehicles.  Bicycles, except where good bike paths exist, just don't fit.  Basically they're a hazard to cars, and themselves. 

I would allow them only on lazy beach boardwalks, remote mountainous regions, and extreme Red Bull bike trick events for my entertainment.

onan

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 26, 2014, 02:39:26 PM

My brethren would not clog a highway, especially on blind corners. And thinking 20 mph is an acceptable speed when most motorists are averaging near the posted speed is delusional.

Quote from: onan on August 26, 2014, 03:18:40 PM
My brethren would not clog a highway, especially on blind corners. And thinking 20 mph is an acceptable speed when most motorists are averaging near the posted speed is delusional.

You would simply LOVE the Critical Massholes that literally take over streets in San Francisco once per month.  Every time I see them, I wonder...why is there never a suicide bomber around when you need one?

Tarbaby

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. But I have overtime been on both sides of this issue. I drove a car, drove a motorcycle, and also drove a bicycle up to 80 or 100 miles per day. (not all at the same time) So I know both sides of the issue. The bicyclists  hate car drivers just as much as the reverse. Drivers intimidate bicyclists, run them off the road, bicyclists run stop signs, ignore Road laws, etc. etc. but I wasn't saying all that, I was just saying that a 55 mph speed limit doesn't mean everyone has to go 55 mph. And the law in most states I know of is that cars and bicyclists must share the road. This issue is every bit as polarized is the Democrat/Republican flamewars.

onan

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 26, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. But I have overtime been on both sides of this issue. I drove a car, drove a motorcycle, and also drove a bicycle up to 80 or 100 miles per day. (not all at the same time) So I know both sides of the issue. The bicyclists  hate car drivers just as much as the reverse. Drivers intimidate bicyclists, run them off the road, bicyclists run stop signs, ignore Road laws, etc. etc. but I wasn't saying all that, I was just saying that a 55 mph speed limit doesn't mean everyone has to go 55 mph. And the law in most states I know of is that cars and bicyclists must share the road. This issue is every bit as polarized is the Democrat/Republican flamewars.
Yeah but this was about tyrant and banning.

wr250

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 26, 2014, 02:30:16 PM
And the person(s) who wrote it.

and they never made a nickle of sales of the song they wrote and/or recorded . all their money came from touring  and accessory deals. record companies get all the revenue from sale of music.

Tarbaby

Point taken. But if the tyrant was a bicyclist it would be a different result them the one Zeebo mandates.:-)

zeebo

Quote from: DigitalPigSnuggler on August 26, 2014, 03:22:05 PM
You would simply LOVE the Critical Massholes that literally take over streets in San Francisco once per month....

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 26, 2014, 03:30:58 PM
...The bicyclists  hate car drivers just as much as the reverse. ...

Once in SF I saw a bike messenger take on a city bus because he got too close to him.  Guy friggin went crazy and climbs up on the bus and starts trying to rip the windshield wipers off, screaming obscenities, freaking everyone out.  I remember thinking it's like Bambi being upset Godzilla didn't give him wide enough berth on a footpath.

zeebo

Quote from: Tarbaby on August 26, 2014, 03:42:04 PM
Point taken. But if the tyrant was a bicyclist it would be a different result them the one Zeebo mandates.:-)

Yep a hypothetical Tarbaby's realm would be different I'm sure.  That's the great thing about being a tyrant, right?   :D

Tarbaby

I could tell you similar personal anecdotes. I once kicked a bus above the back tire as it went by and my foot hurt for two days.[of course I thought I was in the right. Filled with righteous indignation. quote author=zeebo link=topic=6606.msg290163#msg290163 date=1409089872]
Once in SF I saw a bike messenger take on a city bus because he got too close to him.  Guy friggin went crazy and climbs up on the bus and starts trying to rip the windshield wipers off, screaming obscenities, freaking everyone out.  I remember thinking it's like Bambi being upset Godzilla didn't give him wide enough berth on a footpath.
[/quote]

Quote from: wr250 on August 26, 2014, 03:39:25 PM
and they never made a nickle of sales of the song they wrote and/or recorded . all their money came from touring  and accessory deals. record companies get all the revenue from sale of music.

Not all songwriters are in successful touring bands, but they all get royalties if they're smart enough to retain the rights to their works.  You can look it up.

wr250

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on August 26, 2014, 04:51:08 PM
Not all songwriters are in successful touring bands, but they all get royalties if they're smart enough to retain the rights to their works.  You can look it up.

which was the point: copyrights should always stay with the creator, or their heirs (meaning a real person, designated in a will, not some soul less corp that exists only to make money at all costs) .