• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Falling Skies and Walking Dead

Started by pabigfoot, August 03, 2011, 11:37:59 AM

I think, out of respect and political correctness, zombies should be called from henceforth 'The Formerly Alive'  or perhaps 'The Shambling, Now Deceased'

Nucky Nolan

Quote from: Rachael Nexusei on February 14, 2013, 07:09:59 PM
Have you watched American Horror Story?  I kinda like the concept of using the same actors with completely different and unrelated stories each season.  I think it has been renewed.
We watched the first two seasons, and we're not fans of blood and gore. It should return for a third season in the Fall under the title, "AHS: Coven". Yeah, it'll feature witches, and they'll shoot some scenes in New Orleans. Kathy Bates will be in the cast. There are a lot of haunted houses and haunted cemeteries down there, as well as a voodoo culture. It's a rich environment for good material. Who knows? They might throw in a few vampires too, as long as they don't interview them.

Quote from: Nucky Nolan on March 21, 2013, 12:04:14 AM
We watched the first two seasons, and we're not fans of blood and gore. It should return for a third season in the Fall under the title, "AHS: Coven". Yeah, it'll feature witches, and they'll shoot some scenes in New Orleans. Kathy Bates will be in the cast. There are a lot of haunted houses and haunted cemeteries down there, as well as a voodoo culture. It's a rich environment for good material. Who knows? They might throw in a few vampires too, as long as they don't interview them.

It's hollywood blood and gore, not real, so it does not bother me.  Real blood and gore, people really being hurt, does.  Watching/listening to the news, upsets me.  War and destruction of life, upsets me.  I turn and look away from an accident on the highway; become upset (and have been to the point of tears) if I see an animal hit on the road and suffering; do not like watching real operations being done, etc.  I can empathize when it is a reality.  In fact, as much as I am curious, a friend wanted me to go see the Bodyworlds (or whatever it was called)exhibition where it was plasticized real people, and I just couldn't do it.  Funny where we draw our lines with such things, because seeing mummies, skeletons and the like, in a museum does not upset me.

I know it is said that such things are desensitizing people, but it does not do it to me because films/tv/video games, are not reality.  Actually, I am a strongly emotional person in real life, so hollywood (and the aforementioned tv/games) per se, has not dulled my sensitivity in any way.

Sorry, it was not meant to turn into a rant or to criticize at all.  Some people are squeamish in general about such things. 
Anyway, yes, they will have a lot to choose from.  Zombism even.  I have never been, but would so love to visit New Orleans and experience first hand it's music, food and culture.

But then there is my hypocritical side where I cry at sad or emotionally fueled scenes in films, or while listening to a song to which I can relate, or when reading a book.  Like when Boromir is killed; or a hero comes to the rescue.  So that sort of is contrary to what I said above.  I guess it is just what one empathizes with.

Instead of TWD, how about Cannibalistless Cadavers? 
TWD do not eat just brains....
:)

valdez

Walking Dead should have its own thread.  Falling Skies what?  Anyway, I spent most of last season tired of The Governor and just wanted him to go away, but this last episode, Live Bait, was one of the show's best.  All about the Governor and his adventures post psycho town leader.  I'm rooting for him now.  Please, Mishonne, don't kill him.  It's also cool that the show was comfortable doing an entire episode away from the group.  They should do more like this.

Quote from: valdez on November 20, 2013, 06:58:21 AM
     Walking Dead should have its own thread.  Falling Skies what?  Anyway, I spent most of last season tired of The Governor and just wanted him to go away, but this last episode, Live Bait, was one of the show's best.  All about the Governor and his adventures post psycho town leader.  I'm rooting for him now.  Please, Mishonne, don't kill him.  It's also cool that the show was comfortable doing an entire episode away from the group.  They should do more like this.

.  Completely agree he has become one badass anti-hero

jazmunda

Quote from: valdez on November 20, 2013, 06:58:21 AM

I agree.

I love it when shows have the balls to do an episode away from the entire group to either do what they did or show the back story of a character.

LOST did it with the tallies.

b_dubb

L O S T ... worst finale EVER

F A I L

onan

Quote from: b_dubb on November 23, 2013, 08:23:17 PM
L O S T ... worst finale EVER

F A I L

How do you know it was really the finale?

Ravenna

Quote from: onan on November 23, 2013, 08:30:36 PM
How do you know it was really the finale?

It is if the series never returns again.

I love TWD, btw.  I'm also watching AHS-Coven and it's remarkable:  very surreal, although not very scary (unlike AHS-Asylum, which I had to give up on it freaked me out so much).  Terrific performance by Lily Rabe as a very Wiccan hippy-witch named Misty Day, whose idol is Stevie Nicks, and now Stevie is going to make a guest appearance on episode 10 (which will air after the "Xmas break").

onan

Quote from: Ravenna on November 24, 2013, 02:06:44 AM
It is if the series never returns again.

I love TWD, btw.  I'm also watching AHS-Coven and it's remarkable:  very surreal, although not very scary (unlike AHS-Asylum, which I had to give up on it freaked me out so much).  Terrific performance by Lily Rabe as a very Wiccan hippy-witch named Misty Day, whose idol is Stevie Nicks, and now Stevie is going to make a guest appearance on episode 10 (which will air after the "Xmas break").

yeah it was a joke referring to the unexpected twists in the show.

sometime ask me about Stevie and detox in Scottsdale Memorial. Lets just say her media personality is just a tad different.

Only just saw this thread. I've watched TWD since the beginning. I have to say I thought the last episode with The Governor was ridiculous. His acting was terrible though I did like his (badly done) longer hair and beard, he looked like a pantomime pirate. I laughed out loud when he did the pinky promise with the little girl, it has turned into comedy for me now.

valdez

Do these writers think they can get away with anything?  Last week I was ready to join  The Governor  and in one episode he's back to being a tired and boring homicidal psycho boy.  All because of a piss poor golf stroke?  He needs to be dealt with quick lest he stink up another season.

Ravenna

Quote from: valdez on November 27, 2013, 07:46:28 AM
     Do these writers think they can get away with anything?  Last week I was ready to join  The Governor  and in one episode he's back to being a tired and boring homicidal psycho boy.  All because of a piss poor golf stroke?  He needs to be dealt with quick lest he stink up another season.

I haven't enjoyed these past two episodes that focused on The Governor.  I know he's supposed to be fascinating, but I just find him off-putting and not all that interesting.  I'm much more interested in knowing what's going on with the Core Group back at the prison.  I can't believe that they have put off dealing with The Carol Situation for TWO whole episodes.  Daryl is gonna have a FIT when he knows she's gone, and I bet they're not going to even address that until after the mid-season finale (which is Sunday).

Btw, here's an article about the Mid-Season Finale.  Not many hints of what may occur, other than that the prison may be sustainable and also that they may be introducing a major new character.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-spoilers-showrunner-previews-660027

Marc.Knight

Quote from: Ravenna on November 30, 2013, 02:51:42 PM
I haven't enjoyed these past two episodes that focused on The Governor.  I know he's supposed to be fascinating, but I just find him off-putting and not all that interesting.  I'm much more interested in knowing what's going on with the Core Group back at the prison.  I can't believe that they have put off dealing with The Carol Situation for TWO whole episodes.  Daryl is gonna have a FIT when he knows she's gone, and I bet they're not going to even address that until after the mid-season finale (which is Sunday).

Btw, here's an article about the Mid-Season Finale.  Not many hints of what may occur, other than that the prison may be sustainable and also that they may be introducing a major new character.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/walking-dead-spoilers-showrunner-previews-660027

I like "Falling Dead and Walking Skies" better.

Ravenna

Quote from: Philosopher on November 30, 2013, 03:03:54 PM
I like "Falling Dead and Walking Skies" better.

They are Falling Dead often on TWD.  Trouble is, they get back up again.

valdez

Quote from: valdez on November 27, 2013, 07:46:28 AM
...He needs to be dealt with quick lest he stink up another season.
And dealt with he was.  Oh the joy of seeing Mishonne's samurai pop out of his chest.  And the younster with the gun.  Bravo.  We’ll be needing those skills down the road.  And thank you, Daryl, for not hesitating (well, I suppose you did...a little) to put an arrow into "asshole."   Rick, I love you, but you showed weakness and it almost got you killed.  Too bad about Hershel, and I think the baby is just fine.  Some folks say this was the best WD they'd seen.  I'm not sure about that, but it was good.

ciao

Ravenna

Quote from: valdez on December 05, 2013, 06:13:49 AM
     And dealt with he was.  Oh the joy of seeing Mishonne's samurai pop out of his chest.  And the younster with the gun.  Bravo.  We’ll be needing those skills down the road.  And thank you, Daryl, for not hesitating (well, I suppose you did...a little) to put an arrow into "asshole."   Rick, I love you, but you showed weakness and it almost got you killed.  Too bad about Hershel, and I think the baby is just fine.  Some folks say this was the best WD they'd seen.  I'm not sure about that, but it was good.

I thought it was excellent.  However, if Carl had taken out the Governor when he first got his gun's sights on him, couldn't a lot of, maybe most, of that big battle have been avoided?

Alba

Quote from: valdez on December 05, 2013, 06:13:49 AM

Agreed, but I would have liked to see Mishonne finish it! I was pretty disappointed she didn't take the 'head for a head' approach after what he did to Hershel and also because the gov was so fond of collecting heads at Woodbury... it would have been fitting.  >:(

Darryl remains awesome, but why wasn't he furious that Carol was kicked out by Rick? He didn't react on that the way I expected. I thought he'd hop on his bike and go looking for her as they'd grown pretty close.

I'm not as sure as you that baby Judith survived the attack. We'll see!

MV/Liberace!

the walking dead returns tomorrow.  i think.

eeieeyeoh

Quote from: MV on February 08, 2014, 09:53:33 PM
...  i think.

Hey MV, have you been been eating a lot of carrots lately?

valdez

So I ran into a couple of WD fans who saw the mid-season premier before I did and they expressed their disappointment in the episode without really telling me much (as it should be) except to say that "not much happened," or "it's just about Carl and Rick," which is really telling me too much anyway, but fine, they weren't thrilled.  I saw it yesterday.  I dug it.  I think it’s cool that the group may take some time to regroup, and in the meantime we'll see them apart, killing zombies, and getting things done.  A good moody episode with Michonne all dressed up, and a final look at Hershel.

pudding

Alba

I agree with you, Valdez. I liked it. Dialing it back for a gradual regrouping adds a sense of realism to the story. Just having everyone “meet up” on the road on the first episode back would have ticked me off as a WD fan. :( It makes more sense if we're strung along a little bit after everything cracked open at the prison and people had to flee. Life beyond those walls is going to be a shock and a struggle, for a time. IMO...we should see that up close before the core members reunite. That's if reuniting is in the cards for everyone! I like not knowing that at this point. Will everyone return? Maybe not.

112 ounces of pudding!  :-*

awake

So does anyone who has read (reads) the graphic novel enjoy the TV show?

Alba