• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No
He also played (a rather long clip) a clip from Gilligan's Island and expressed his love for the show. Perhaps if we delve into the show and someone 's reason for loving it we can get a peek 'beneath the stache' at what matters to George Noory

b_dubb

Quote from: Morgus on July 13, 2011, 12:16:01 AM
Tonight on the air when Noory was introducing his main guest, he said "here back again is our guest tonight, first time on coast to coast"
Did that make any sense?  :o
no it did not.  he contradicts his own poorly assembled syntax.  for the record

b_dubb

Quote from: HorrorReporter on July 13, 2011, 05:09:15 AM
He also played (a rather long clip) a clip from Gilligan's Island and expressed his love for the show. Perhaps if we delve into the show and someone 's reason for loving it we can get a peek 'beneath the stache' at what matters to George Noory

tonight ... on VH1 Behind the Stache ... George Noory: Does he have a mind?  If so, what's on it?

ericdxx

Quote from: b_dubb on July 12, 2011, 03:38:20 PM
the interview where he cuts the guest off and goes to open lines while the guest is going on about his son's death?  yeah that was very considerate and heartfelt and ... who the fuck are you kidding

that last bit was rhetorical

The interview was kind of done at that point. Wasn't much more to ask IMO.

anagrammy

Quote from: Morgus on July 13, 2011, 12:16:01 AM
Tonight on the air when Noory was introducing his main guest, he said "here back again is our guest tonight, first time on coast to coast"
Did that make any sense?  :o

I can translate for you because I speak Noorish as a second language:   "here back again (from another tediously long break filled with geriatric product infomercials), first time on coast to coast (Lisa finally found someone willing to plug their book on the air and unaware they are positioning their scientific research between Giants in America and Prince William is the Antichrist)."

Anagrammy

b_dubb

Quote from: anagrammy on July 13, 2011, 09:12:38 AM
I can translate for you because I speak Noorish as a second language:   "here back again (from another tediously long break filled with geriatric product infomercials), first time on coast to coast (Lisa finally found someone willing to plug their book on the air and unaware they are positioning their scientific research between Giants in America and Prince William is the Antichrist)."

Anagrammy
thanks for interpreting. the mud is slightly more opaque now

It's great to have a thread but these guys have gone one further with a forum dedicated to Noory http://www.noorysucks.com/viewforum.php?f=7  :o

Great reading though, it's amazing how many people there are peeved at him. I'm assuming it's C2C's disconnected and disgruntled yet intelligent audience that Art built up, only for it to be bulldozed by Noory and his mammoth hordes of dribblers that now make-up the higher percentages...

anagrammy

Quote from: Art on July 13, 2011, 05:19:05 PM
;D

I love this!  On of my favorite old sci fi stories.   Regarding GNS, the problem these forums have is volume.  I signed up and there were only two other posters online besides me.  Here we have 500+ lurkers at any given time and 35-80 members.  That means a larger community to make connections and have responses to your posts.  Michael V. has made some very strategic moves to keep the community fresh.  One of the obvious signs of a nice core community here is that Art has been gone for some time and we still have plenty to say.  These forums are always evolving and fact is, George Noory Sucks is old news. 

Some of the new audience worshippers of George don't know Art.  They have no basis for comparison, so they won't be panning Noory as an incompetent replacement.  The old audience is veering off in other directions but we still share our likes and dislike with our old and new friends here at CoastGab.  And some of the topics are comment-worthy, but even that's less and less.

Anagrammy

Quote from: anagrammy on July 13, 2011, 06:32:07 PM
... Some of the new audience worshippers of George don't know Art.  They have no basis for comparison, so they won't be panning Noory as an incompetent replacement...

I can't imagine anyone - anyone - flipping around the dial, hearing George, and making it a point to turn it on the next day.  Or Ian Plummet's show either.

I doubt very much there is some vast new audience folllowing George Noory.  Notice the paid actor callers.  Notice the good guests, even when they have new books, don't bother anymore.  Notice the show ratings are kept under lock and key.  Even George admited his listeners are mostly drunks, druggies, and delusionals (heh, not that there's anything wrong with that).

anagrammy

You can tell the audience he's playing to by the comments GN makes.   When summarized, it becomes pretty clear he thinks his audience is lonely, fearful pet-lovers who are impotent and need comfort and advice.  "Don't worry," George reassures, "I'll be here with you the whole time with a live show" (facing a lonely Christmas).  "We are always here for you on holidays, it is our policy because we know how you count on us."   

When the news of the killing of Osama bin Laden was breaking, George was live on the air.  He was spitting all over the microphone because he got to be a real reporter with BREAKING news, instead of just stumbling over whatever Lisa chose to give him from the web.  I waited for it, sure enough, "Don't worry," said George, "We'll interrupt the program for any breaking news as we get it.  I'm going to be with you the whole time."

So stock up on the adult diapers, get all the cats in bed with you and pull up the quilt.  It's gonna be a long night, ladies, and your part-time lover, George Noory, the kind, sweet one who never speaks sharply, the one you wish you had married instead of that motherfucker husband of yours, well, sweet George will be hear to soothe and soothe.

Which is why he sucks the energy out of J.C. and any of the anti-Christs who used to call.  The new audience needs soothing and medication.  There will be some Perry Como coming in here and there--fast forward five years and it will be elevator music punctuated by infomercials and guest "spots" with a smattering of paranormal or crypto news between infomercials.  And they'll still listen to the hypnotic voice...

Anagrammy

El Kragen

I heard  terrible story on the news today about an 8 yr old boy who was abducted and they apparently strangled to death and dismembered. The story was rather ghoulish. I wonder if George will open tonight's show with that story? I'm sure he was drooling and giddy with excitement when he heard about it.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/13/thousands-turn-out-to-search-for-missing-brooklyn-boy/?test=latestnews

valdez

I called Craig B. Hulet a "psycho lefty" back in march, and I'm afraid the term still fits.  Tonight he said that al qaeda didn't exist until George W. made it up after September 11th.  Some people got that Bush Derangement thing real bad.  I thought Johnathan Zap was going to be one of your dime a dozen end of the world charlatans, but I was wrong.  In fact, he kind of chided George for dwelling on bible Revelations, and so called Mayan predictions of doom, all of which he considered the "dark weeds of apocalyptism".  For him the end of the world is more personal, more of an evolutionary leap, both within ourselves and as a species.  I really dug his analysis of the symbolism in "2001: A Space Odyssey", and he mentioned a book called "Childhood's End" enough times to get me thinking about reading it.  George pulls a decent show straight out of his butt.

2001: A Space Odyssey
"Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?"

Quote from: anagrammy on July 13, 2011, 07:45:11 PM

So stock up on the adult diapers, get all the cats in bed with you and pull up the quilt.  It's gonna be a long night, ladies, and your part-time lover, George Noory, the kind, sweet one who never speaks sharply, the one you wish you had married instead of that motherfucker husband of yours, well, sweet George will be hear to soothe and soothe.

Which is why he sucks the energy out of J.C. and any of the anti-Christs who used to call.  The new audience needs soothing and medication.  There will be some Perry Como coming in here and there--fast forward five years and it will be elevator music punctuated by infomercials and guest "spots" with a smattering of paranormal or crypto news between infomercials.  And they'll still listen to the hypnotic voice...

Anagrammy

Ahhhhhh, tooooooooomeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkk...

Fluffy?  Com'on up.  Puuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...Soooooooo peacefulllllllllll......................................

Lovely Bones

Quote from: valdez on July 14, 2011, 04:53:25 AM
    George pulls a decent show straight out of his butt.

I really enjoyed Zap, but I kinda doubt George had much to do with the success of last night's program.   :)

11angeleyes11

Be patient folks!

You know in the radio business ratings are the bread and butter.

Changes are taking place as I type.  The problem is that core audience of Granny Moses and Fluffy the cat are near and dear to George and he does not want to upset their apple cart. 

Comments were posted a few months ago about Coast going international and it is happening just very slowly with those magical Noory tweeks. 

Here is how it is occurring, it is very subtle.  Change is difficult with an aging demographic.

1.  Linda Molten Howe is a favorite.  She is going to be in Australia during the next couple of months and also in America.  This campaign is important to expose the Aussies to the listening enjoyment of Coast.   George even let her have the night off, he soundes soooo generous with the flexiblity, but this was pre-ordained.  A marketing plan is underway.  GO Kanger George!

2.  George is being interviewed by an Italian magazine about the Coast phenomeon while he is in Los Angeles

3.  The international audience was noted in passing comments over the last few weeks by George. 

There are more moves in the works, but the tweaks must be made, the rating collected and the next strategy implimented. 

Soon it will be "Greetings all Chaps, It is time for tea, this is Sir Noory coming to you from the Castle off the Coast of England."  A knighting is in the future mix.  Stay tuned for more updates.

b_dubb

Quote from: 11angeleyes11 on July 14, 2011, 08:51:52 AM
Be patient folks!

You know in the radio business ratings are the bread and butter.

Changes are taking place as I type.  The problem is that core audience of Granny Moses and Fluffy the cat are near and dear to George and he does not want to upset their apple cart. 

Comments were posted a few months ago about Coast going international and it is happening just very slowly with those magical Noory tweeks. 

Here is how it is occurring, it is very subtle.  Change is difficult with an aging demographic.

1.  Linda Molten Howe is a favorite.  She is going to be in Australia during the next couple of months and also in America.  This campaign is important to expose the Aussies to the listening enjoyment of Coast.   George even let her have the night off, he soundes soooo generous with the flexiblity, but this was pre-ordained.  A marketing plan is underway.  GO Kanger George!

2.  George is being interviewed by an Italian magazine about the Coast phenomeon while he is in Los Angeles

3.  The international audience was noted in passing comments over the last few weeks by George. 

There are more moves in the works, but the tweaks must be made, the rating collected and the next strategy implimented. 

Soon it will be "Greetings all Chaps, It is time for tea, this is Sir Noory coming to you from the Castle off the Coast of England."  A knighting is in the future mix.  Stay tuned for more updates.
the return of Fort Rock?  regardless ... my bs detector is currently melting down from overload

11angeleyes11

You must not be listening faithfully to George.  Numbers 1-3 have all been articulated to the masses within the last few weeks.  I kid not.

Now here is the crux of the matter:  Can a Presidential candidate in 2012, who will probably be elected after we default and have our bond ratings downgraded and maintain every growing unemployment, also be knighted?  This is a question of international law proportions. 

b_dubb

no the knighting of george was what put me over the top.  at that point they start knighting kim kardashian, howard stern, and the guy that played greg brady.  no fucking way

and of course i'm not listening faithfully to george snoory.  he SUCKS

good night Fort Rock

BobGrau

I'd actually prefer he was made president, rather than being knighted. At least then his inauguration ceremony wouldn't come out of MY taxes.

texaskdog

How is LMH a favorite???  I thought maybe I was the only one who hated her show til I was on here.  I think the show is what they want to give us, and they tell us what 'we think is popular" rather than give us the shows we really want.  Are ratings freely available for C2C?

b_dubb

well LMH seems to be on every week or at least every other week.  so she's a favorite of someone.  not me.  but someone.

anagrammy

There was a historical post by Rollye James describing the politics and market bundling of Coast to Coast am, the sale and transition from A to Z.  I think she was laid up recovering from surgery and actually had the time to memorialize the entire shitshow.

Maybe MV will somehow pin it somewhere as required reading for newbies.  The main point you might be interested in is this:  they have to take Coast if they want Rush, so it doesn't matter how much George Noory sucks.

Also, we know from television that syndicated reruns that we stopped watching years ago appear over and over on our TV's because they are supported from international sales.  That Italian or Chinese audience can't get enough of Gilligan's Island or I Love Lucy.  They do not care about ratings in the US - the satellite just beams it down to "earth" and everybody gets what India likes. 

Given that's the situation with TV and the internet is merging the whole scene into one big broadcasting gray mush, that's what we'll have with radio.  The Chinese/Japanese/Indian/European audience will eat up George's soothings and won't catch any of the non sequiturs because they don't translate as such. 

Going international is not a growth kudo, it's a desperate attempt to salvage the marketing package.

Anagrammy

onan

Quote from: anagrammy on July 14, 2011, 11:20:39 AM
There was a historical post by Rollye James
Anagrammy

I think this is it:

Quote from: Michael Vandeven on June 26, 2009, 09:31:06 AM
Quotewell, honestly, i made a decision to just let people reach their own conclusions as to who wrote that email rather than directly "out" anybody.  i've already been cunty enough by posting it to begin with.

a little process of elimination and most people will figure out who it is, i think.

It could be any one of the temp hosts who have not been asked to return...the ones I remember off the top of my head are Mike Siegel, Hilly Rose, and Rollye James. Or hell it would be a scream if Art Bell actually wrote it I guess too. It actually has the timing and tempo of a James or Siegel, the Alzheimeresque spelling gaffs of a Hilly Rose on too much Metamucil and hot chocolate, and the deft, concise inside knowledge of an Art Bell.
Having said all that, and knowing that all three, Mike and Rollye and Hilly were in radio in California, it deduces to any of those I suppose. For me though, my inner ear tells me that's Rollye James talking.
I just wish she'd talk about it some more. The country needs her. We need her. So Rollye, if you're reading this....need an avatar?   

Here it is again for those who don't feel like clicking on a link today, originally posted by MV:

Wise Words From a Radio Insider                                                        ? on: June 22, 2009, 10:49:05 AM ?

QuoteAbout a year and a half ago, someone who used to sit in as a host from time to time on C2C sent an email to a friend of mine.  A LENGTHY email.  During this year and a half, some developments have occurred, some things have been said publicly by this person, and the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, with regard to this person's feelings about George Noory and the state of C2C today.  Therefore, we thought this would be an appropriate time to share it with you.  It's a real gem.

Many apologies for not seeing this sooner-- still recovering from the flu/pneumonia.

I will hold you to your word about not sharing my thoughts-- or at the very least not sharing them unless you run across attribution that doesn't lead back to me.  Too many people inside the industry would know from whence most of this comes.  Not sure how much you know about the inner workings of radio, so if I expound of points obvious to you, forgive me.

Randy Michaels at Jacor wanted a syndication division,  He ultimately bought Premiere, and then in 1998 bought Coast to Coast.    I laughed at the press release with Randy saying he'd been a long time fan of the show.  Randy in 1997 had never heard the show--  I know because we were on the phone while I was driving to LA listening to Art while I was on I-10 in Arizona.   I was telling Randy about "Mel's Hole".  He got excited and said 'let's go find it!'  I had to assure him it was nowhere to be found, this being an Art Bell caller.   He confided that while he'd certaom;u heard of the show, he'd never actually heard it for himself.

So Randy bought the show and put it under the Premiere banner.  I doubt Premiere had a clue about how the show made money.  Let me digress further and say that when Herb Jepko's wildly successful overnight show, "The Nitecaps" was bought by Mutual in 1976; the deal was that Herb would pay the landline cost of transmission from Salt Lake City to the network's DC headquarters and pay the salary of an hourly newsman.  Mutual, for it's part would clear stations and sell time.    Herb was grossing over $2 million before this deal. Within 18 months he was bankrupt.   

Networks sell on a CPM model (cost per thousand listeners) but head count is only viable in the day. Many national advertisers don't want night time inventory for any reason (let alone overnight inventory) and those that do which pay on a CPM basis are paying a fraction of what a daytime spot would cost.  (When hosts spout off ratings, they are talking Shares-- percentage of people listening to the radio while they are on who are listening to them-- so as you can see, a 10 share in morning drive will produce exponentially more listeners than a 10 share at 2 a.m-- many more people listening to the radio at 7 am then the middle of the night.  Hence  advertisers don't care about shares-- they want to know about many Persons they reach.  Further, when hosts spout of numbers of listeners, like millions-- they are talking Cumes-- the cumulative total of people who are listening during a week, as opposed to Average Quarter Hour which is roughly the number of people listening at any given time-- a number exponentially lower than the Cume.   National advertisers buy on Average Quarter Hour Persons because they want to know how many people are available at the minute their message is airing, and AQH Persons is the closest they'll come to assessment,  assuming there's any validity to this rating scheme but I won't belabor that. Nor will I get into demographics, another big factor.)   Mutual using the standard network model of selling time based on CPM produced very little revenue for Herb.

So how did Herb make that $2 million?  On direct response-- concentrating on advertisers who could measure results.  He targeted companies who he believed would be of interest to his audience and when he produced enough revenue to make it worthwhile for them to continue advertising, they did so.  Icy Hot can thank Herb Jepko for their start.  Apart from ads, he had conventions, did tours ('the all riding no walking tour of Hawaii' was my favorite), and had a monthly newsletter "The Wick" and was cleaning up until Mutual came along.  He died a drunk.

Art was a fan of The Nitecaps (it's why he has so many phone numbers for different regions of the country-- that was a Jepko bit I also won't belabor), but he either didn't know the inside story or didn't understand what he was getting into  with the sale to Jacor/Premiere.  The deal couldn't have happened without Art's approval.  I cringed when he put out a press release saying the new owners gave him total programming control.  I was yelling at the radio saying, 'Dope, you need SALES control.'   TRN (Talk Radio Network, which at that point had no other product) understood direct response and they were doing a good job at selling the show.  They took the $9 million they were offered because they realized Art could walk if they didn't.  Bad blood still exists, though TRN has done very well with Savage, Ingraham, et al.  (Let me also say that Direct Response is often these days what PI spots are called-- but PI-- Per Inquiry spots pay radio and television stations or networks based upon the number of responses which is a gamble. I 'm referring to Direct Response advertisers that pay a set rate for spot schedule.)

First thing Premiere does when they got the show was to inform stations they'd be requiring two units of daytime inventory a day in order for them to carry the show.  (This was not an uncommon request back in the days of wired nets.)   The stations, almost en masse, informed them, they could go to hell.   What Premiere was trying to do was to fit Coast to Coast into their CPM model... they knew they couldn't sell overnight CPM and had no idea how to sell Direct Response, and wouldn't want to expend the effort anyway as their mode of operations was so different.   When that failed, they had a problem on their hands.  But not immediately-- a lot of the Direct Response advertisers were loyal to the show, so revenue they didn't solicit continued to come in.

A year or so later, Jacor was bought by Clear Channel. This was actually good for Coast to Coast in the long run financially because Clear Channel could force the stations it owned that were talk formatted to run the show-- and force them to carry that daytime inventory.  Problem solved.   Further, as time progressed, it became the norm of all current syndicators to force clearance of shows that stations might not want in exchange for shows they did want.  --Want Rush Limbaugh in the day? Gotta run Dr. Dean Edell (for many years).  In short order, Rush was so successful they were able to charge cash for the show (only one able to do that currently) in addition to the standard barter arrangement where stations run network spots within the show.  Down the road Premiere was additionally able to force other product on affiliates who wanted Rush.   I can name some eye popping non CC owned call letters (not many but in one case. a huge market) that were told if you want Rush, you'll also carry Coast to Coast, or we'll give Rush to your competition who will carry Coast.    (Today that hijacking scenario is so common among syndicators that it explains how some obviously secondary product winds up on primary radio stations.)  With Coast it's not the norm as there's little competition and many of the affiliates are already owned by Clear Channel, but it's happened.

So what we're seeing happen in his scenario is that the revenue Coast brings comes more from outside the show.  Secondarily there's a small stream from things like the newsletter, streamlink, and amazon products (i.e. the bumpers) on the site.  Nevertheless, the hope is always that the revenue inside the show will be sizable. I doubt Art was thrilled with some of the sponsors they began to amass.  I'm going to skip over his leaving the first time, and the choice of Mike Siegal-- that's another soap opera.  (Let me cut to the chase and say it worked out well for Art--  when he left the first time, the contractual restrictions on him were so severe that I joked he couldn't even appear in a public restroom.  When he came back after Siegel, he made sure those restrictions wouldn't continue to exist should he leave again.)

BUT..  by the time Art left again, I strongly suspect the choice of George (made unilaterally by Kraig Kitchin at Premiere) was based solely on his malleable nature. In George they have everything they want, if their goal is to have someone so grateful for their job that they'll never complain.  He is and he won't.

Who else would read a commercial for The Psychic Pill?!   I'm sure you can point out many examples. 

The downside of possible losing stations is a non factor-- consider the previous info and add that there is no real competition and likely will not be in radio's current incarnation.    The downside side of losing listeners, is virtually unnoticed:

Ego ratings will continue to look great.  The way ratings are currently taken, news/talk stations are favored during late night periods (boring reasons I'll spare you).   Since Coast has no viable competition, it continues to have great ratings.  But remember, those ratings hosts love to cite are Shares-- the percentage of people listening to any station that are listening to them.  If people turn off the radio, it doesn't affect Shares.   It also doesn't affect Share when people listen to non-commercial stations, such as public radio (because ratings are used for sales purposes, they don't factor stations that can't sell-  you can find them if you know how to look, but the publicly stated data doesn't factor them).   

This is actually a not uncommon radio dillemma. I've always said if you don't know why you're winning, you won't know when you lose or what to do about it when you finally do.  Ratings lag performance, and in very successful products. by years.  For instance when I was programming a station in 1979 in Los Angeles, KABC was #1.  I said at the time they were already slipping-- I could feel it. (I was not a direct competitor, I was PD of a music station.)   In 1982, KIIS, a top 40 station became an 'overnight' #1--  overnight my foot.  KABC was probably not in the top 5 in reality by 1980.   The inverse is true too.  By 1987 I knew KFI was gaining great traction, but it wasn't until the '90s that it dominated any demo.

Now that you've waded through all that, you get to the reality--   over the past several years the show has become virtually unlistenable to the bright, hip crowd that Art fostered.  Some have left entirely, some listen with less enthusiasm because there's nothing else.  They're replaced with the brain dead-- those who think George is the ultimate host. (Believe me,they're there-- they complain when anyone exhibits personality, or interjects a comment. And they're cruel.  I can figure out why George Knapp wouldn't want to see Fast Blast.  Unless you've been doing this for decades and nothing bothers you, most of it will shake anyone up.  I found it funny though sad and telling at the same time.)

The behind the scenes people working on the show are emboldened because they're working with George who likely has no say or control over anything-- and theyr'e able to lord over most weekend hosts who are either inexperienced or totally new to radio. They've got producers telling hosts what to do.  (This is completely backward it the real radio world-- producers work for hosts, not the other way around.)  And all have consumed the kool-aid that this is a terrific show with a wonderful living heritage on which they self-righteously expound at the drop of a dime.  It's the blind with an attitude leading the brain dead without a clue.  I strongly doubt anyone in the equation has enough radio savvy to remotely understand that their indicators of success belie the truth, let alone enough insight to know what makes good radio.

I snobbishly say a host better learn how to play records before they play the talk hits--  Art did. Rush did.  Rush's success came not from his politics.  It was phrases like 'feminazi' not what he thought of feminists.  He, in his build up days, was truly an entertainer.   Art had a good deal of that too.  And he we stumbled upon the paranormal genre, it was perfect (actually not a lot different from what Long John Nebel was doing in the '40s and  '50s in New York). 

I suspect unless there is a major change, Coast will continue to devolve with no one there aware.  I also suspect unless there are major changes in radio, there will be nothing that immediately threatens them.  The losers are the listeners, at least those who are not drooling.    The move toward 'conspiracy', to my programming ears, is catastrophic, but the staff embraces it.  True conspiracy fans are so beyond George's questions that it defies elaboration, and those that don't know much about it are less likely to be interested in it.   Producers (I worked with Lisa Lyons and did not enjoy the experience)  also shun many of the paranormal avenues worth exploring.

So why did I ever agree to do the show again?  In small part because I didn't realize how much it had devolved, since i rarely have a chance to listen to it, and in major part because a wonderful friend at Clear Channel corporate asked me to do it because it was his opinion that there was no one on the show with a real radio background.  So I did for awhile.   But it really was a drain, and increasingly I saw no upside given all the above.  On an emotional level, it hurts me to the core that this venue has over 500 stations and programming is either an afterthought of the product of people without the necessary knowledge to make it work.  Probably some of both-- but the combination of expedience and ignorance is likely a symptom of radio today which is why I'm so blessed to be able to do my show on my terms and actually profit from it.  I keep that in mind each time I grouse about having to be responsible for every facet from engineering to sales, but in the end, it's the only way I could possible survive.  Too old and too impatient to actually be in a radio station or syndicator these days.

I'm sure that's more than you wanted to know and more than I should have written. Again I'm trusting you to not make it public.   

I'm at a horrible stage where I'm really no longer to answer most of the emails (I guess I should be glad because it means people listen, but it really does bother me I can't physically answer them all and still do anything.)  I'm still sick and have been lying in bed today, hence the luxury of a response I'll probably never be able to give again any time soon.   Plus it got me to further delay a bunch of projects I'd probably rather not do               

Quote from: anagrammy on July 13, 2011, 07:45:11 PM
You can tell the audience he's playing to by the comments GN makes.   When summarized, it becomes pretty clear he thinks his audience is lonely, fearful pet-lovers who are impotent and need comfort and advice.  "Don't worry," George reassures, "I'll be here with you the whole time with a live show" (facing a lonely Christmas).  "We are always here for you on holidays, it is our policy because we know how you count on us."   

When the news of the killing of Osama bin Laden was breaking, George was live on the air.  He was spitting all over the microphone because he got to be a real reporter with BREAKING news, instead of just stumbling over whatever Lisa chose to give him from the web.  I waited for it, sure enough, "Don't worry," said George, "We'll interrupt the program for any breaking news as we get it.  I'm going to be with you the whole time."

Anagrammy

This is so funny and so spot on in capturing George and his show, it's going to be a struggle to add much going forward...

Tara

Anagrammy:  If you remember Perry Como (recall his sweaters?), you're like me, an early baby boomer. Unlike Como however, Noory is not just boring, he grates on my nerves.  I can never imagine why so many listeners apparently  believe that Noory "cares," that "we're family."  I wonder what convinced Noory and/or his producers to target the lonely and needy demographic? 

onan

Quote from: Tara on July 14, 2011, 05:49:15 PM
I wonder what convinced Noory and/or his producers to target the lonely and needy demographic?

Because Premrad, cc are very mercenary. I am sure management is aware of noory's inability to really articulate a point. So by extension they want an audience unable to critically think.

Tara

Quote from: onan on July 14, 2011, 06:03:11 PM
Because Premrad, cc are very mercenary. I am sure management is aware of noory's inability to really articulate a point. So by extension they want an audience unable to critically think.
I bet the Casey Anthony jury members are all avid Noory fans!

MV/Liberace!

Quote from: valdez on July 06, 2011, 04:55:48 AM
     George:  "What got you interested in space?"
    Bennett:  "The Apollo missions.  I was in fourth grade when we landed on the moon, and that's what got me started."
    George: "Perfect.  West of the Rockies..."
What was "perfect"?  That he asked a question and received an answer?  Is that all it takes, in Georges head, to conduct a successful interview?  Either that, or at the exact moment Bennett finished his question George had taken a glance at his paycheck.
i'm sitting here in lots of pain, pumped full of narcotics and steroids... and laughing exacerbates the pain.  you, sir, owe me my next refill of percocet.

your posts exhibit a certain sensibility that just clicks in terms of how my mind operates.  i absolutely love reading your posts.  in the history of this forum, there have been several who took up the duty of posting C2C broadcast summaries.  you are the only one who stuck with it, and you've always kept it thorough, clever, and entertaining.  i hope you never stop.  you're great.