• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

George Noory Sucks! - The Definitive Compendium

Started by MV/Liberace!, April 06, 2008, 01:23:02 AM

Can Noory pronounce anything correctly?

No
No

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 22, 2015, 10:18:10 PM
The Weakest Link. I had forgotten all about that show, and if you skip to about 22 minutes and 33 seconds into this clip you can see the lady was happy. I guess Wil wasn't married at the time... or just being creepy.

Ugh Wil "with one l" milked his 15 minutes of fame from TNG for all it was worth.  Annoying, pretentious, conceited, I actually have a higher opinion of Noory.

nbirnes

Quote from: Beelzebubbelah on May 22, 2015, 10:37:59 PM
=====================================================
'Allo!
With you still am i.
I'd like to point out a few facts from the fabulous Harlan Ellison:
1)Most "Trekkies",at least,the first generation,were fundamentalists.
2)The ship,"Enterprise",is captured by an villain in most episodes,but is 'freed'later,ie:"FREE ENTERPRISE".
3)Mr.Elison is an bona fide insider,since he wrote the episode,"City on the Edge of Forever"and,i think,it won an slew of trinkets.
And also,yust to show you what an kool writer/ligitator he is,the conceptual meme that the cosmos we see is some kind of simulation..
May be firstly,borrowed from an 1920's s.f.novel by western hollywood for film,"Journey to the far side of the sun",yet based on endless 1900's stories,ending with Mr.Ellison's former masterpiece/tour de farce,now pretty much forgotten,"STARLOST"!!
In the pilot,the protagonist walks through an fear field at the edge of his village and reaches an wall that's the boundary for the sno-globe habitat he grew up in.
The rest i won't spoil.
Any one might find bootlegs of the series,but mr.Ellison had his associations cut off from the show after he was scammed and the series written by hacks brought in to counterfeit his work.
At one time,he was creddited as "Original Concept By 'CordWainer Bird' "...
NOT,"ALLAN SMITHEE"...
"B_B"

And don't forget the wonderful "Dangerous Visions," Volumes 1, 2, and I think 3? "And A Boy and His Dog."

When I first became editor of UFO Magazine I came up against the dreaded cattle mutilation spread to lay out, and I gave it this headline, which always makes me lol. Mutilations: I have no tongue and I must moo.

Syrett compares the current Coast team to the '61 Yankees with Mantle and Maris. Snoory being Mickey.....cough....cough.....

I think a more apt comparison would be the '62 Mets with Snoory as Marv Throneberry.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: Humilia Lepus Foramen on May 22, 2015, 11:06:56 PM
Ugh Wil "with one l" milked his 15 minutes of fame from TNG for all it was worth.  Annoying, pretentious, conceited, I actually have a higher opinion of Noory.

I meant to say wasn't happy, but yeah Wil gets a lot of shit... and perhaps rightfully so. He wasn't a dick in Stand by Me.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 22, 2015, 11:17:45 PM
I meant to say wasn't happy, but yeah Wil gets a lot of shit... and perhaps rightfully so. He wasn't a dick in Stand by Me.

Great film.  I thought Wil had a bright future after I saw that.  I think doing ST:TNG was a bad career move for him.  The character was one dimensional.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 11:14:59 PM
Syrett compares the current Coast team to the '61 Yankees with Mantle and Maris. Snoory being Mickey.....cough....cough.....

I think a more apt comparison would be the '62 Mets with Snoory as Marv Throneberry.

The 2003 Detroit Tigers were also a pretty bad team, and now that I think of it 2003 was a bad year for Detroit all around because Noory took over C2C Am full time that year. That level of suck is will be hard to beat. 

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 11:14:59 PM

Well, C2C is pretty much a Mickey Mouse production.

Quote from: b_dubb on May 22, 2015, 11:14:49 PM
Palmistry. Snooze fest.

Yep. I should comment on the Syrett page but no one is posting there.  I think I'm going to turn it off in a minute. 

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 22, 2015, 11:46:57 PM
Yep. I should comment on the Syrett page but no one is posting there.  I think I'm going to turn it off in a minute.

Way ahead of you.

trostol

this is an awful 1st half of a show so pretty much par for the course

I had my doubts during the first few minutes when Syrett was waxing poetic about the universality of the Beatles "I want to hold your hand."

I never really got the Beatles.  I suppose if you don't have the Beatles and then you do, they sound pretty good, but if you already have the Rolling Stones, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, ZZ Top, etc. then not so much.

nbirnes

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 22, 2015, 11:58:59 PM
I had my doubts during the first few minutes when Syrett was waxing poetic about the universality of the Beatles "I want to hold your hand."

I never really got the Beatles.  I suppose if you don't have the Beatles and then you do, they sound pretty good, but if you already have the Rolling Stones, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, ZZ Top, etc. then not so much.

And don't forget the Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sam Cooke! I thought the Beatles were flat, compared. The first time I liked their music was in the movie "Across the Universe."

trostol

Quote from: nbirnes on May 23, 2015, 12:09:55 AM
And don't forget the Everly Brothers, Jerry Lee Lewis, Sam Cooke! I thought the Beatles were flat, compared. The first time I liked their music was in the movie "Across the Universe."

i think their later stuff is vastly superior then that teeny boop early stuff

Nick el Ass

Quote from: trostol on May 23, 2015, 12:13:17 AM
i think their later stuff is vastly superior then that teeny boop early stuff

The same can be said for Elvis, but it is all there... and there are some gems in the early stuff of his and the Beatles. Even though I liked the stuff they did solo more than when they were together. I love John Lennon's Mind Games.

trostol

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 23, 2015, 12:22:43 AM
The same can be said for Elvis, but it is all there... and there are some gems in the early stuff of his and the Beatles. Even though I liked the stuff they did solo more than when they were together. I love John Lennon's Mind Games.

More of a Paul fan..love him and Wings stuff

Quote from: Georgie For President 2216 on May 22, 2015, 11:58:59 PM

Those are all great bands but I don't care for all of their stuff.  A lot of stuff the Stones did in the 70's was very weak in comparison to their days with Brian Jones. I can go the rest of my life without listening to Angie again. Van Halen is a fun band but they have also produced some questionable music. Zeppelin's early albums were fantastic but who remembers Presence. I loved most of the Doors music and ZZ Top continues as a great band. There is only one Beatles song that I dislike and that is not really even a song.  Revolution #9. I love the rather innocent early stuff and I loved their maturation as a band. When they initially broke up, their solo stuff was of the same high caliber but they really became hit and miss after several years away from each other.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 23, 2015, 12:22:43 AM

I love Elvis but prefer his 50's/early 60's material over a lot of the later stuff.  He sang too many songs about breaking up in the late 60's to early 70's.  Very depressing. Oddly I think his music was getting a bit better towards the end.  His vocal range seemed to actually improve. Witness his version of Unchained Melody.  Brilliant performance that sends chills down my spine.

There are some masterpieces on Mind Games like the title cut and Out The Blue but I skip over a lot of the other stuff.  Paul had his crappy moments too like most of Red Rose Speedway and Wings Wild Life.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 23, 2015, 12:43:39 AM
I love Elvis but prefer his 50's/early 60's material over a lot of the later stuff.  He sang too many songs about breaking up in the late 60's to early 70's.  Very depressing. Oddly I think his music was getting a bit better towards the end.  His vocal range seemed to actually improve. Witness his version of Unchained Melody.  Brilliant performance that sends chills down my spine.

I'm a huge Elvis fan, and think what he did once he sold his back catalog to RCA... and started doing his own stuff that was when Elvis really took off as an artist. Especially with the Stax recordings which only took 40 years to release in full thinks to the Colonel. It is a shame he never went back to the studio like that after 73. None the less, I still think I was the One is one of his best songs.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 23, 2015, 12:58:10 AM

I'm a huge Elvis fan, and think what he did once he sold his back catalog to RCA... and started doing his own stuff that was when Elvis really took off as an artist. Especially with the Stax recordings which only took 40 years to release in full thinks to the Colonel. It is a shame he never went back to the studio like that after 73.

I'm also a huge Elvis fan and I think we can both agree that a lot of his music from movies like "Do The Clam" was utter crap.  He was forced by our "beloved" (sarcasm intended) Colonel to record that stuff. You won't hear me diss the STAX recordings because I have all of them.  And yeah that was when he really started singing the songs that he wanted to record. That said, I love the Jordanaires and I love rockabilly so I prefer those songs.  We all have our preferences.  He hated recording "Burning Love" but I think that's one of his best songs from the later period. It certainly rocked more than most of the other stuff he was recording then.

I think Elvis loved the songs he recorded from 1954 through 1960 but then with his success in the movies after 1960 especially, he was forced to start recording a lot of questionable material and he really lost his footing between 1964-1966 (save for his gospel recordings). He finally recorded another great song, If I Can Dream, for his TV special and found his way back.

akwilly

The remix version of Viva las Vegas is freakin great

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 23, 2015, 01:14:41 AM

I'm also a huge Elvis fan and I think we can both agree that a lot of his music from movies like "Do The Clam" was utter crap.  He was forced by our "beloved" (sarcasm intended) Colonel to record that stuff. You won't hear me diss the STAX recordings because I have all of it.  And yeah that was when he really started singing the songs that he wanted to record. That said, I love the Jordanaires and I love rockabilly so I prefer those songs.  We all have our preferences.  He hated recording "Burning Love" but I think that's one of his best songs from the later period. It certainly rocked more than most of the other stuff he was recording then.

I had all the Stax recording that were released with two, or three songs with a bunch of live recording that the colonel kept putting out... and when they released the 40th anniversary deluxe release I pre-ordered it along with my Elvis shirt. The remastered Prince from Another Planet (weird name) album which was the Madison Square Garden show.

/My avatar is from my very own copy of Elvis At Stax, and the pic below is a pic my shirt which I lurv.

akwilly

also his movie Stay away Joe is one of my favorite flicks. No way they could make it today becouse it would be to politiclly incorrect

Quote from: akwilly on May 23, 2015, 01:25:10 AM
The remix version of Viva las Vegas is freakin great

ZZ Top did a great cover of that fantastic Doc Pomus tune. One of the few highlights during Elvis' dry period.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 23, 2015, 01:24:07 AM
I think Elvis loved the songs he recorded from 1954 through 1960 but then with his success in the movies after 1960 especially, he was forced to start recording a lot of questionable material and he really lost his footing between 1964-1966 (save for his gospel recordings). He finally recorded another great song, If I Can Dream, for his TV special and found his way back.

After the 68 comeback when he wanted to do In the Ghetto, and again Parker said not to do it... but Elvis for the first time put his foot down. The was a sign he wasn't going to take any shit in recording. However, the live shows hardly changed.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 23, 2015, 01:25:51 AM

I had all the Stax recording that were released with two, or three songs with a bunch of live recording that the colonel kept putting out... and when they released the 40th anniversary deluxe release I pre-ordered it along with my Elvis shirt. The remastered Prince from Another Planet (weird name) album which was the Madison Square Garden show.

/My avatar is from my very own copy of Elvis At Stax, and the pic below is a pic my shirt which I lurv.

Darn it, I missed the release of the Stax '73 set. I have most of those songs on Walk A Mile In My Shoes but I'm not sure about the takes.  Now I have to buy it. Thanks, Nick.

Quote from: Nick el Ass on May 23, 2015, 01:32:04 AM

After the 68 comeback when he wanted to do In the Ghetto, and again Parker said not to do it... but Elvis for the first time put his foot down. The was a sign he wasn't going to take any shit in recording. However, the live shows hardly changed.

I really wished he had ditched the Colonel. He had a good reason to with a lot of those terrible movies he starred in.  Usually playing guys named Steve or Mike.  Ugh.  He made some good movies early on but really made some stinkers after Blue Hawaii.  My favorite films of his are King Creole and Flaming Star.

Nick el Ass

Quote from: 21st Century Man on May 23, 2015, 01:37:39 AM
Darn it, I missed the release of the Stax '73 set. I have most of those songs on Walk A Mile In My Shoes but I'm not sure about the takes.  Now I have to buy it. Thanks, Nick.

It has 3 cd's with all the outtakes from the session including banter with his band, and back ground singers. Elvis hand some of his regular band there... but used some studio guys to record the sessions back in July and December of 73. Someone oddly enough stole his microphone one night. Stax was some of his finest work, and sadly his last work in a studio.