• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The "I'm watching/just watched *movie title* thread....

Started by PhantasticSanShiSan, September 26, 2008, 04:58:26 PM

Kelt

Quote from: FightTheFuture on September 12, 2014, 04:13:49 AM
I just heard that Top Gun 2 is going to production.

Hope it's true!

I hear Ghostbusters is getting a Reboot with an all-female cast.

How could that NOT be good?

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 13, 2014, 03:36:49 PM
You may have just inspired the next SyFy blockbuster!

"Squirrelosaurus vs. Meganutzilla"

Let me know when they have the casting calls for this.

zeebo

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 13, 2014, 10:04:51 PM
Which part do you want?

I'd like to play against type, and be either the evil scientist or maybe the regegade big game hunter.  I can do this.

Quote from: zeebo on September 13, 2014, 10:15:07 PM
I'd like to play against type, and be either the evil scientist or maybe the renegade big game hunter.  I can do this.

Go for the brooding and taciturn, yet unexpectedly sensitive and romantic renegade big game hunter who takes only footprints and leaves only photographs.  You can indeed do this.

paladin1991

Yesterday I finished season 2 of 'Lilyhammer.'  I love that show.  Streams on Netflix.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 12, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

In a world ... where a boy claims he's discovered the severed finger of a hobo by the railroad tracks ...

In a time .... when a trash compactor ... made by the mind of man ... develops a mind of its own ....  and a taste for gloves .... 
And where a squirrel is hung like a Clydesdale.....  (want some popcorn, baby? It's nice and buttery!)

you must be in . . .

The world of Don LaFontaine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QPMvj_xejg

Quote from: Robert Ghostwolf's Ghost on September 13, 2014, 03:36:49 PM
You may have just inspired the next SyFy blockbuster!

"Squirrelosaurus vs. Meganutzilla"

I absolutely must have that movie poster on my wall.

Kelt

Small Apartments.

An odd little Indie movie which is currently on Youtube in it's entirety.   I recommend grabbing it before it's taken down.

http://youtu.be/TP7MnL2yVgs

Chine

This is not film related, but posting here as there isn't a TV thread and not worth creating a thread for it.

I decided to watch the first episode of 'Penny Dreadful'. It's interesting and rather bizarre. Eva Green is interesting to watch along with Timothy Dalton. It covers various stories. One is 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. One of my favorites. So far it's good as long as it doesn't get cheap with stupid, cheap supernatural monster silliness.

Quote from: Camazotz Automat on September 12, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

This just became available on Netflix DVD, Unscreened. Though I don't know its streaming status.

I am a terrible movie reviewer. I nitpick on some things and overlook piano-sized problems in the name of escapism. 

As objectively as I can:  If A is "good" and F is "bad," I give Oculus a "C" for "fair."

Notice I did not say A = excellent.

No spoilers follow.

I enjoyed some of the electronic paranormal-busting scenes, I thought the mirror's frame was goshdang gorgeous, but they overused a flashback technique that I guarantee will have your head spinning by the end, and the ending was... well, like they ran out of time or ideas and couldn't come up with a better image with which to leave the average horror fan.

But if you're interested in ~mirror as doorway~ films and books ... from Carpenter's Prince of Darkness to Robert Heinlen's novella, The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, you might enjoy parts of this movie.

I warned you. I can't review a film to save my life, but... watch me put a pin in my thumb, baby!

(Roger Ebert just contacted my braintenna and said, Then you're giving Oculus a somewhat painful Thumbs Up, Cam.)

TY, Cam. Putting it on the queue. Yeah, I like a good mirror as doorway story, the creepier the better. It's a success if I avoid mirrors for a couple of weeks, or better yet, catch sight of one on the way to the bathroom at night and see something out of the corner of my eye... :o

But if you're interested in ~mirror as doorway~ films and books ... from Carpenter's Prince of Darkness to Robert Heinlen's novella, The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, you might enjoy parts of this movie.
I forgot about Prince of Darkness, I will have to rewatch that one.

I've been on a horror kick as well lately. It must be because Halloween is coming soon.

Chine

Finally saw 'Boyhood'. Been wanting to see it since it's release, as I've been following it prior to it. Beautiful film and probably one of the best this summer.

Quote from: Unscreened Caller on September 14, 2014, 10:06:36 PM
TY, Cam. Putting it on the queue. Yeah, I like a good mirror as doorway story, the creepier the better. It's a success if I avoid mirrors for a couple of weeks, or better yet, catch sight of one on the way to the bathroom at night and see something out of the corner of my eye... :o

Unscreened, I would be interested to know what you thought about some of the scarier scenes and if they spawned "mirror avoidance" or "mirror people." haha

Recently watched: The Counselor (2013).

The singular vacuum left behind by the cessation of Breaking Bad was temporarily filled by viewing this movie. 

Javier Bardem seems to be channeling a warped version of Anthony Quinn's Zorba the Greek ... he's impossible not to watch.

Michael Fassbender, Cameron Diaz, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, Brad Pitt.
(smaller roles: Ruben Blades, Dean Norris, Rosie Perez)

albrecht

Quote from: Mind Flayer Monk on September 14, 2014, 11:09:44 PM
I forgot about Prince of Darkness, I will have to rewatch that one.

I've been on a horror kick as well lately. It must be because Halloween is coming soon.
I think Prince of Darkness was under-rated, I really like it. Good atmosphere, interesting/unique plot, and always nice to watch Donald Pleasance. Cameo by Alice Cooper which was pretty funny and good.

Tarbaby

Cam: what's this about "the unpleasant profession of Richard Hoagland"?  ;)

PS, yes, I remember liking "Prince of darkness" as well.

Quote from: Tarbaby on September 15, 2014, 10:17:37 AM
Cam: what's this about "the unpleasant profession of Richard Hoagland"?  ;)

PS, yes, I remember liking "Prince of darkness" as well.

Tarbaby, at first I was thinking, "What the hell? Is he wanting me to talk about the novella?"  So subtle was your word switch as to make it almost invisible.

This reminiscing over Prince of Darkness makes me realize how very long it has been since I've watched it. Will include it in my month-long October horror binge, my being similarly affected each year like MindFlayerMonk as I embrace Samhain.

I always found "the beetle invasion" disconcerting. If I ~recall~, the spokesperson in that scene says... "pray ...  for death."

Not to mention the fantastic sound score. Classic Carpenter. And I'm also a Cooper fan for too many years to mention.

I agree. It's an underrated horror piece always worth re-watching. Glad to see others here share a liking for it.

I can't be 100% sure, but this film could very well be the first time I heard the word "tachyon."

Quote from: Chine on September 14, 2014, 02:17:12 PM
I decided to watch the first episode of 'Penny Dreadful'. It's interesting and rather bizarre. Eva Green is interesting to watch along with Timothy Dalton. It covers various stories. One is 'The Picture of Dorian Gray'. One of my favorites. So far it's good as long as it doesn't get cheap with stupid, cheap supernatural monster silliness.

I've watched the first two episodes. It has an odd cadence/ambiance that I can't put my trepanned skull's finger on, but hopefully they can sustain it.

Quote from: zeebo on September 12, 2014, 09:27:21 PM
I suspect this is a rather common sentiment around here, myself included.

Your check is in the mail.  You're a gentleman and a squirreler...  scholar! 

A gentleman and a scholar.

yumyumtree

Gravity 2013
A Winter's Tale 2013(or 2014) I can't really recommend this one.

Chine

Just watched 'Two Faces of January' with Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst (2014). Interesting film. Not bad, but personally felt disappointed as it was building up and the pay off fell short for me. Beautifully shot.

analog kid

Quote from: Chine on September 17, 2014, 07:00:22 PM
Just watched 'Two Faces of January' with Viggo Mortensen and Kirsten Dunst (2014). Interesting film. Not bad, but personally felt disappointed as it was building up and the pay off fell short for me. Beautifully shot.

Mortensen said he was quitting acting after The Road. Glad he's still working.

albrecht

I see that "The Keep" is now on netflix. I recall strangely liking it but that was long time ago and actually dont recall much of movie but memories of watching. Got it queued but, considering viewer ratings, might not watch. Sometimes movies you see a long time ago arent as "good" as one remembers. Tho recently rewatched "Lets Scare Jessica To Death" and found it even more weird/scary and good. So?

analog kid

Speaking of queued on Netflix, the movie "Detention" is supposed to be either great or really bad (or so bad it's good?), depending on who you ask. It's evidently a spoof of horror movie spoofs. As in, spoofing a movie like Scary Movie that spoofs Scream. At least I think.

"In 2004 Joseph Kahn directed the hyper-kinetic, poorly reviewed motorcycle action movie Torque. It was Kahn's directorial debut, and though he was tapped for (one of many) failed Neuromancer adaptations, he devoted the next six years to a largely self financed project: the horror-comedy farce Detention. Noted cultural critic Steven Shaviro discusses in this essay why Detention, despite also being reviewed negatively, is one of his favorite movies of the decade. Shaviro's review contains major spoilers for the plot, and it's probably best to go into the movie blind."  --via Metafilter
Sounds like the less one knows about it going in the better.

yumyumtree

Quote from: albrecht on September 17, 2014, 08:36:43 PM
I see that "The Keep" is now on netflix. I recall strangely liking it but that was long time ago and actually dont recall much of movie but memories of watching. Got it queued but, considering viewer ratings, might not watch. Sometimes movies you see a long time ago arent as "good" as one remembers. Tho recently rewatched "Lets Scare Jessica To Death" and found it even more weird/scary and good. So?

Does it have any connection to the Jennifer Egan novel?

The Keep is a great movie... I'd love to see the original 3 hour cut of it... but not even Michael Mann like it and it's never been put out on DVD let alone Blu-Ray.

Old VHS big-box rental tape shift for $40-$50 on ebay...

Another forgotten creepy classic is "The Baby"

The Baby (1973) trailer

b_dubb

Quote from: missing transmission on September 18, 2014, 03:26:05 PM
The Keep is a great movie... I'd love to see the original 3 hour cut of it... but not even Michael Mann like it and it's never been put out on DVD let alone Blu-Ray.

Old VHS big-box rental tape shift for $40-$50 on ebay...

Another forgotten creepy classic is "The Baby"

The Baby (1973) trailer
That is fucked up. You and the people who brought that "film" into the world should be ashamed of yourselves.

Quote from: b_dubb on September 18, 2014, 03:30:07 PM
That is fucked up. You and the people who brought that "film" into the world should be ashamed of yourselves.

::)

No spoilers... but the ending is all kinds of creepy...

And according to Richard Stanley (dir Hardware, Dust Devil)

The Keep is reputed to have been inspired by the layers of rumour and legend around Château de Montségur

Chine

Posted this on Random Thread and sharing here . This is a trailer of an indie film I was in while working as an actress in NYC. Primarily, I was a stage actress and after an Off Broadway run I was cast in this. It was crazy. But lots of fun. We screened at NY Film Festival in 2000. Joe Gannoscoli of The Sopranos was in it as well. It was on NetFlix a while back. I hated working on film as it's a pain in the ass. Sitting in holding til lighting is right, and freezing your ass off in Brooklyn at 4 am. Very different animal than the theater. I'm in the trailer 2 or 3 times (with the dark hair)... 'Calm Down, Tiger' haha

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2c_zJYKA9pM&autoplay=1

onan

Just watched Under the Skin. I am not confused, but I am confused.