• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 14, 2016, 01:29:13 AM
  What do you do with the meat you noramally stuff in it?

Let it live.

Quote from: paladin1991 on February 14, 2016, 02:07:42 AM
I don't know how to do that.

There`s been enough killing, son.  Time to learn a new way.

Jackstar

I'm really looking forward to the cloned meat products. I hope they get that figured out while I still have teeth.

Quote from: Jackstar on February 14, 2016, 02:09:04 AM
I'm really looking forward to the cloned meat products. I hope they get that figured out while I still have teeth.

Jackstar

Yeah, that's the current flavor. I'm holding out for Petri Tartare.

Value Of Pi

Quote from: 21st Century Man on February 14, 2016, 12:25:27 AM
Thoughts on the Republican debate tonight.

I think Trump imploded tonight.  This was his worst debate.  We will see how it affects the polls.  They have been forgiving up until now. He was rude and interrupting other debaters at random.  He did not bow his head during the moment of silence for Scalia. His Planned Parenthood support isn't going to go over well in South Carolina.  His attack on GWB  regarding 9/11 was uncalled for.  Clinton's policies led to an environment that allowed 9/11 to happen in the first place.  Bush had only been in office less than 9 months.  I'm sure a lot of people are saying, its about time someone told the truth on the Republican side about Iraq.  Well, whether you like it or not, many Republicans still believe that there were WMD in Iraq.  Saddam had more than plenty of time to get most of them out of the country before the war.  I'm not making a personal statement on that regard.  It's just a fact that many Republicans still  believe that WMD were in Iraq.  Trump's continued support for eminent domain for self-aggrandizement is going to cost him.   Trump also lied when he said Cruz put John Roberts on the Supreme Court.  Cruz was solicitor general of Texas when Roberts was nominated. I never knew a solicitor general from Texas had such power. One thing Trump did not do tonight is broaden his support with traditional grassroots Republicans. As a matter of fact, he lost support with those folks.

Bush was feisty tonight and appropriately defended his brother.  However, I don't see his numbers going up much.  People are tired of the Bush family.  Sorry Jeb.

Carson was a nonentity even though he had more opportunities to speak at this debate.  He's finished.

Rubio did well but that Gang of 8 bill still hangs over him and Cruz gave a sharp reply in Spanish when Rubio said that Cruz didn't speak Spanish.

I think I have to give the edge to Cruz with this debate.  He was solid with no discernable flubs and defended his record.  He also was very, very concerned about the direction of this country with Scalia's death.  He had a strong closing statement that spoke to that.

As for Kasich, he was way too much of a politician inserting "the Lord" repeatedly into his closing statement.  That was so obviously an appeal to the SC evangelicals.   There was a lot of talking about uniting the country now but I think Republican conservatives are a bit sick and tired of what that would entail.  More compromises with the Democrats.  Sorry, John.  You are toast.

So what in the end do I think will happen in the primary?  It's still a little early to say but Trump damaged himself.  To what extent, I don't know.  I think he could lose up to 10 points in the polls which would still give him a lead. I'm being conservative on that.  I'll have a better idea on Monday or Tuesday. I'm not sure if Rubio will gain any traction after this debate.  I suspect an increase of a few points but I think Cruz will gain the most from this debate.

Cruz is adamant about "More compromises with the Democrats," even though it's the only way legislation gets passed and signed into law. I understand the negative connotation of the word and why it's often viewed by one side or the other as surrender, but what exactly is the alternative to some kind of deal between opposing factions? Trying to shut down the government doesn't work, particularly when you're POTUS. So what's left? Some form of coercion or mass conversion?

Bounder

According to every poll, Trump rag-dolled everyone at the debate.

He cannot be shut down.  It's astounding.

Pundits have never been so worthless.

VtaGeezer

Quote from: Value Of Pi on February 14, 2016, 03:26:23 AM
Cruz is adamant about "More compromises with the Democrats," even though it's the only way legislation gets passed and signed into law. I understand the negative connotation of the word and why it's often viewed by one side or the other as surrender, but what exactly is the alternative to some kind of deal between opposing factions? Trying to shut down the government doesn't work, particularly when you're POTUS. So what's left? Some form of coercion or mass conversion?
Ayatollah Cruz is a brilliant Dominionist fanatic whose delusional aim is to manipulate the system to bring about the collapse of the US government and Constitution so it will (in his screwball world view) be replaced it with a warped Christianish theocracy.  This "man of God" has the ethics of a scorpion. He is thoroughly convinced he's the anointed one, the "small m" messiah.  He's only 44 so whether now or later, he's going to be a nightmare for America unless the fools in TX wise up and dump him.

Quote from: VtaGeezer on February 14, 2016, 12:13:36 PM
Ayatollah Cruz is a brilliant Dominionist fanatic whose delusional aim is to manipulate the system to bring about the collapse of the US government and Constitution so it will (in his screwball world view) be replaced it with a warped Christianish theocracy.  This "man of God" has the ethics of a scorpion. He is thoroughly convinced he's the anointed one, the "small m" messiah.  He's only 44 so whether now or later, he's going to be a nightmare for America unless the fools in TX wise up and dump him.

Hahaha You know, Geez, sometimes I almost think you actually believe some of the BS you write. THEN you write something like this and I know you`re just fuckin` with us. ;D

albrecht

Ha. Maybe Romney will jump in so the Mormon "white-horse prophecy" will be fulfilled.  ;) Lay off the C2C and Alex Jones for a a few days.  ;)

Designx

Quote from: Bounder on February 14, 2016, 11:42:47 AM
According to every poll, Trump rag-dolled everyone at the debate.

He cannot be shut down.  It's astounding.

Pundits have never been so worthless.

The online polls have been hacked by a handful of Trumpers who flood the poll sites after the debate. It's pretty obvious and really silly to see the margins Trump supposedly wins by. I think if you go check around Breitbart, you'll find the center for their operations.

CornyCrow

I don't know how Texans support these religious creeps.  I can't understand how you can get to a certain educational level and not turn the logic you have learned back upon your religious views.  Do smart Texans/people support such myth to control their ignorant masses?   

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on February 14, 2016, 01:29:18 PM
I don't know how Texans support these religious creeps.  I can't understand how you can get to a certain educational level and not turn the logic you have learned back upon your religious views.  Do smart Texans/people support such myth to control their ignorant masses?   
I think mainly as a counter-weight to the likes of Obama etc. Unfortunately to mitigate the harm from the big government or leftist types sometimes you need to elect someone as far as possible in the opposite direction. I vote for gridlock and any people/policy to slow down Washington. I'm sure some vote, like so-many Obama adherents, solely on religion, race, or whatever but at least for me it is more pragmatic and often lesser of two evils, which is still voting for an evil, I know. Cruz is too slick and smarmy in my opinion. I'm not even sure if he believes in that religious rhetoric you mention actually. On paper I don't mind some of his ideas, but as a person I don't trust him. Versus a Billary? Sure I'd vote for him but holding my nose when doing so.

Quote from: Segundus on February 14, 2016, 01:29:18 PM

What are you saying? If you`re religious, you`re a creep and/or moron? Is that your contention?

Bounder

Quote from: Designx on February 14, 2016, 01:26:41 PM
The online polls have been hacked by a handful of Trumpers who flood the poll sites after the debate. It's pretty obvious and really silly to see the margins Trump supposedly wins by. I think if you go check around Breitbart, you'll find the center for their operations.

That's a neat assertion.

Credible, even, in the alternate universe where Trump isn't objectively winning.

And, to the shock of George Wills everywhere, the enthusiasm is not confined to backwater mouthbreathers.

Jackstar

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 14, 2016, 01:41:42 PM
What are you saying? If you`re religious, you`re a creep and/or moron? Is that your contention?

People who spend years on "religion" without ever graduating to "spirituality" are deeply, deeply suspect.

CornyCrow

Quote from: FightTheFuture on February 14, 2016, 01:41:42 PM
I'm saying that most are dishonest.  A person can have a 'religious' experience.  Ok, that's a part of their reality.  It gives them a broader view of existence, perhaps deeper insights.  That in no way equates to the dogma preached in churches, things that are pumped into a person's consciousness when they are too young to have critical filters functioning in their minds.  Smart people reach a point in which they do some mental house cleaning, recognizing that they've been sold a bill of goods.  Dopes just go along to get along. Yes, dopes.  If you do not start out in being honest with yourself you can be honest with no man. 

Test everything.   

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on February 14, 2016, 03:27:12 PM
I'm saying that most are dishonest.  A person can have a 'religious' experience.  Ok, that's a part of their reality.  It gives them a broader view of existence, perhaps deeper insights.  That in no way equates to the dogma preached in churches, things that are pumped into a person's consciousness when they are too young to have critical filters functioning in their minds.  Smart people reach a point in which they do some mental house cleaning, recognizing that they've been sold a bill of goods.  Dopes just go along to get along. Yes, dopes.  If you do not start out in being honest with yourself you can be honest with no man. 

Test everything.
"Most" of just about any group is a pretty strong opinion and likely wrong. If one even includes Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and Hindi in your survey set of "religious" people, though I suspect that you mainly mean Christian as the usual leftist anti-religion types do since only Western cultures or religion is bad, I don't think "most" are dishonest or evil or some such. Sure there are hypocrites and dishonest people, like everywhere, but "most?" Nah.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on February 14, 2016, 03:00:14 PM
People who spend years on "religion" without ever graduating to "spirituality" are deeply, deeply suspect.
Actually I think in many cases, not all,  the "I'm spiritual" deal is more of just a cop-out for not settling on a certain belief, "getting out" of any discipline, education, or rituals, and trying to be 'hip' in the belief in the politically-correct, culture-relativist way. It many cases the "I'm spiritual" is the George Norry of religion which is why he always expressing this type of thought.

Jackstar

Quote from: albrecht on February 14, 2016, 03:44:24 PM
It many cases the "I'm spiritual" is the George Norry of religion which is why he always expressing this type of thought.

Oh, I certainly agree. I don't mean to express that spirituality is an apex of personal growth. It's simply a progressive step beyond religion, that I expect a conscious, rational and responsible human being to take, sometime before they learn to vote.

CornyCrow

Quote from: albrecht on February 14, 2016, 03:41:03 PM
"Most" of just about any group is a pretty strong opinion and likely wrong. If one even includes Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and Hindi in your survey set of "religious" people, though I suspect that you mainly mean Christian as the usual leftist anti-religion types do since only Western cultures or religion is bad, I don't think "most" are dishonest or evil or some such. Sure there are hypocrites and dishonest people, like everywhere, but "most?" Nah.
No, I mean 'religion' in general.  I think most are well-intended but self-deluded.  THey do not believe they are evil or dishonest, and I don't think most are consciously so, but unless they have taken serious steps to clear out the static of indoctrination they are being dishonest.  This is part of adulthood, of 'putting away childish things'.

The dishonesty of these people and the hypocrisy is that they are fooling themselves.  They are not whole men.   

It is a normal part of a child's development to start judging his parents, seeing them as vulnerable adults with all their foibles, understanding that they react sometimes through their upbringing.  It should also be normal to question the myths we were told as children to elicit socially acceptable behavior.  Religions are the means responsible for these lies taught to children.  Early programming is very hard to be rid of unless you make a real and constant effort to do so.

albrecht

Quote from: Jackstar on February 14, 2016, 03:50:42 PM
Oh, I certainly agree. I don't mean to express that spirituality is an apex of personal growth. It's simply a progressive step beyond religion, that I expect a conscious, rational and responsible human being to take, sometime before they learn to vote.
Understood. Don't get me started about voting. Haha. I think the franchise been expanded way too far but, ultimately, if the government didn't need to be involved with every aspect of our lives the voting wouldn't matter.

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on February 14, 2016, 03:51:01 PM
No, I mean 'religion' in general.  I think most are well-intended but self-deluded.  THey do not believe they are evil or dishonest, and I don't think most are consciously so, but unless they have taken serious steps to clear out the static of indoctrination they are being dishonest.  This is part of adulthood, of 'putting away childish things'.

It is a normal part of a child's development to start judging his parents, seeing them as vulnerable adults with all their foibles, understanding that they react sometimes through their upbringing.  It should also be normal to question the myths we were told as children to elicit socially acceptable behavior.
Gotcha, though nihilism etc can cause problems also. Though I agree with you for the most part- but you should still respect your parents and there is nothing wrong with acting socially acceptable or just being polite.

CornyCrow

Quote from: albrecht on February 14, 2016, 03:44:24 PM
Actually I think in many cases, not all,  the "I'm spiritual" deal is more of just a cop-out for not settling on a certain belief, "getting out" of any discipline, education, or rituals, and trying to be 'hip' in the belief in the politically-correct, culture-relativist way. It many cases the "I'm spiritual" is the George Norry of religion which is why he always expressing this type of thought.
Maybe, but not always.  There are those who will validate the reality of a spiritual life, and that we all continue on after death, that there are values which are important, that we must conduct ourselves with respect and responsibility. 

People can believe these things without having to swallow the dogma of religion.  The beauty of a democracy, in my opinion, is that we are all treated as adults and allow to test our values and develop personal views as we will without government stepping in and as long as we do not harm others in our quest.  A democracy is a huge Montessori school where we are each allowed to progress at our own pace. 

There is no necessity to settle on another person's belief system.  Look into them all.  Pick out what resonates with you as true and test it.  Why should we be a victim of our birth, or of the religion or culture of our parents or of a book written by early tribal people? 

cweb

So the glorious State of New York sends me a letter telling me that they're going to send me a form verifying that I have employer-provided health coverage.

Then they send me another letter telling me the same thing, but with different phrasing and a blurry picture of the form.

So next, I'm assuming they'll actually send the damn form?

Why not just send the informational papers with the form? Why does it have to be three separate pieces of mail that cost the taxpayer three times the funds?

Fucking government.

CornyCrow

Quote from: cweb on February 14, 2016, 08:20:19 PM
So the glorious State of New York sends me a letter telling me that they're going to send me a form verifying that I have employer-provided health coverage.

Then they send me another letter telling me the same thing, but with different phrasing and a blurry picture of the form.

So next, I'm assuming they'll actually send the damn form?

Why not just send the informational papers with the form? Why does it have to be three separate pieces of mail that cost the taxpayer three times the funds?

Fucking government.
I'm picturing three different departments trying to save their redundant jobs. 

albrecht

Quote from: Segundus on February 14, 2016, 09:03:12 PM
I'm picturing three different departments trying to save their redundant jobs.
With possibly the Post Office telling State agencies please keep us more useful and send multiple mailings in triplicate....

Wow, you really are fuckin' nuts.