• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Random Political Thoughts

Started by MV/Liberace!, February 08, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

chefist

Quote from: VoteQuimby on October 14, 2015, 02:03:11 PM
Stop stop, you're making economic sense which is something this country frowns upon.

The left banters around the word "fair" quite a bit...but it us completely subjective...really its the shareholders that approve these crazy high salaries...open one Walmart paying $15 an hour, raise prices as needed to maintain same profits for the stock investors...across town is a current Walmart with current pricing... See how quickly the market puts the higher priced one out of business...

CornyCrow

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 14, 2015, 12:46:41 PM
Fucking A Skippy.  Guns, cars, hammers, knives.  What are we going to do, outlaw them one by one until we are reduced to dueling with our meals with sporks?  It's the criminalization of our populace and our ill that seems to be the foundation of our Great Society. 
If we took care of those of our ppl who are in greatest need instead of carrying the water for the rest of the globe, the 'system' would choke on the money that would flow.

Hillary?  Did I miss something?  Did old Joe Biden finally say he would not run?  *shrug*
Sure.  There is something wrong in a society in which so many make such bad choices.  It is human choice that is the basis of much of our internal problems. 

albrecht

Quote from: onan on October 14, 2015, 05:35:09 PM
Why Wal-Mart can afford to give its workers a 50% raise

http://fortune.com/2013/11/12/why-wal-mart-can-afford-to-give-its-workers-a-50-raise/
But why should it? If the shareholders or employees or consumers demand it, maybe. But nothing stopping another retailer to turn them into Sears or MonkeyWards if their business model is not working? Start up a new business and compete against them. Some are doing so. Or get shareholders to demand it? Or get people to stop buying from it? Or even employee walkouts? But it seems they most are, mostly, happy. Or at least happy enough. But the more honest answer would be to compete against it and vote people out who give easements, new roads, improved bridges, or tax-payer breaks to get them into their town/city? I won't complain about Walmart or Exxon etc who gain shareholders value. That is their mission: and although they provide stable, longterm jobs and service their ultimate goal is to provide shareholder value and longterm gains. And, certain we don't want (hahaha- the corporate raiders and leveraged buy-outs for "shareholder value" of a few decades ago because we know how bad those were for the workers, and usually most shareholders, in the longrun.)

Catsmile

Without a doubt the rich job creators need to vote for increasing their earnings and golden parachutes. Why? Because I haven't felt successfully trickled down upon in over 40 years. The lack of trickle down is proof that the top 10% isn't prosperous enough.

The economy must not be doing well... Oh wait. The top earners income has increased, by voting upon it; despite outcomes. While the rest societies income has been stagnate and shrinking, meanwhile the bottom 90% per-person productivity has increased manyfold 40 years on. ???

albrecht

Quote from: Catsmile on October 14, 2015, 07:38:49 PM
Without a doubt the rich job creators need to vote for increasing their earnings and golden parachutes. Why? Because I haven't felt successfully trickled down upon in over 40 years. The lack of trickle down is proof that the top 10% isn't prosperous enough.

The economy must not be doing well... Oh wait. The top earners income has increased, by voting upon it; despite outcomes. While the rest societies income has been stagnate and shrinking, meanwhile the bottom 90% per-person productivity has increased manyfold 40 years on. ???
Ultimately you vote with your pocketbook and your feet. As we see in most places/regions around the world. Don't invest (or buy) things from companies you don't like, don't vote for politicians who support what you don't like, don't work for companies you don't like, and move from places, companies, regions you don't like, and, if it comes to it, don't pay taxes you don't like, nullify juries, protest, or whatever. I hope we don't turn into Baltimore, Chicago, Juarez, or Syria but it can happen, sadly.

Though I'm with you in some regard to the initial thought/premise but as long as we have a Federal government that has the ability to spend without limit and regulate, tax, or criminalize almost all activity there will be a corrupting influence who will want control of it. This can be mitigated, somewhat, by flight, without fight, but at some point it might come to the other, at least politically: boycotts (employment and purchasing,) disinvestment, competition, etc but Americans won't do. So why blame "them," they are giving most Americans want they want: convenience, SNAP, Hollywood, and other crap.

Quote from: Catsmile on October 14, 2015, 07:38:49 PM

And you think an organization that is bought and paid for by these entities is going to do what?

Lunger

http://fortune.com/2013/11/12/why-wal-mart-can-afford-to-give-its-workers-a-50-raise/

Why should it?  Why should anyone overpay for a product or service?  Would you pay $15 for a BigMac or KidsMeal?  No.  You wouldn't.  Because a BigMac isn't worth $15.  A person working a cash register or a burger flipper isn't worth $15 an hour.  There is no value there for $15 an hour.

BobGrau

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-34543983  Two new Lockerbie bombing suspects identified

Too late, fuck off.

b_dubb

Quote from: Lunger on October 15, 2015, 05:32:58 AM
Why should it?  Why should anyone overpay for a product or service?  Would you pay $15 for a BigMac or KidsMeal?  No.  You wouldn't.  Because a BigMac isn't worth $15.  A person working a cash register or a burger flipper isn't worth $15 an hour.  There is no value there for $15 an hour.
I'd say a Big Mac isn't worth $1. But then in 2015 currency a $1 only has the buying power of $.25. Hence the need for a raise in the minimum wage.

chefist

He based it on valuation, not actual dollars in the bank...can't cut checks based on valuation...if you did then in bad years you should be able to cut workers wages below the minimum!

I advocate for employee owned companies like Publix...there you have a vested interest in the company... And the executives that manage it! Shareholders, if its a public company, are kept in check...

BobGrau

Quote from: Lunger on October 15, 2015, 05:32:58 AM

Look at it the other way round... a well-off wageslave is an active consumer.

Or to put it more personally, why would I want to be the only rich person in the world? I'd have to buy every round.

b_dubb

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 01:44:03 PM
He based it on valuation, not actual dollars in the bank...can't cut checks based on valuation...if you did then in bad years you should be able to cut workers wages below the minimum!

I advocate for employee owned companies like Publix...there you have a vested interest in the company... And the executives that manage it! Shareholders, if its a public company, are kept in check...
This makes sense. If employees got profit sharing they'd be motivated to do good work and be good employees. I've never been to a Publix so I was wondering what that experience is like? Kinko's used to do profit sharing and I know that for a lot of stores that was like getting an extra paycheck or two each month. That'd motivate me to do good work. There are so few examples I of employee owned companies I can't think of any.

chefist

Quote from: b_dubb on October 15, 2015, 01:53:13 PM
This makes sense. If employees got profit sharing they'd be motivated to do good work and be good employees. I've never been to a Publix so I was wondering what that experience is like? Kinko's used to do profit sharing and I know that for a lot of stores that was like getting an extra paycheck or two each month. That'd motivate me to do good work. There are so few examples I of employee owned companies I can't think of any.

Here's some...

https://www.nceo.org/articles/employee-ownership-100

CornyCrow

Quote from: albrecht on October 14, 2015, 07:56:13 PM
Ultimately you vote with your pocketbook and your feet. As we see in most places/regions around the world. Don't invest (or buy) things from companies you don't like, don't vote for politicians who support what you don't like, don't work for companies you don't like, and move from places, companies, regions you don't like, and, if it comes to it, don't pay taxes you don't like, nullify juries, protest, or whatever. I hope we don't turn into Baltimore, Chicago, Juarez, or Syria but it can happen, sadly.

Though I'm with you in some regard to the initial thought/premise but as long as we have a Federal government that has the ability to spend without limit and regulate, tax, or criminalize almost all activity there will be a corrupting influence who will want control of it. This can be mitigated, somewhat, by flight, without fight, but at some point it might come to the other, at least politically: boycotts (employment and purchasing,) disinvestment, competition, etc but Americans won't do. So why blame "them," they are giving most Americans want they want: convenience, SNAP, Hollywood, and other crap.
I think the heart of these problems is foreign workers.  When companies used almost soley American workers there were more jobs than workers, salaries increased and companies treated employees well.  It's now, when companies can choose workers from all over the globe, that the American worker is falling on hard times.  It's much harder to get another job for most people.  Workers have much less influence because they cannot vote with their feet. 

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 01:57:22 PM
Here's some...

https://www.nceo.org/articles/employee-ownership-100
Interesting. Brookshire Brothers is employee owned. I did not know that. I do know that small towns where they have improved the bridges or expanded roads so that a HEB (which I like and I'm not knocking) or Walmart can move in (they demand ability for 18 wheeler access) whereas Brookshire Bros will often suffice with smaller trucks etc. So just a small example of public bearing the costs (new roads, better bridges, more wear and tear) so that a large corporation can do business. In theory the larger stores will provide 'more employment' or 'cheaper prices;' arguably that is true but enough to cover the infrastructure costs and maintenance costs?

albrecht

Quote from: CornyCrow on October 15, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
I think the heart of these problems is foreign workers.  When companies used almost soley American workers there were more jobs than workers, salaries increased and companies treated employees well.  It's now, when companies can choose workers from all over the globe, that the American worker is falling on hard times.  It's much harder to get another job for most people.  Workers have much less influence because they cannot vote with their feet.
And an open-border and VISA policy to encourage undercutting American workers on all levels. Still people can move, vote, not purchase certain items, start their own business, etc. Having said that I support tariffs and against "free" trade deals. I also think some jobs are necessary to be domestic- if nothing else than national security. We should to be able to provide for ourselves in manufacturing certain things, food, pharmaceuticals, and energy.

chefist

Quote from: b_dubb on October 15, 2015, 04:31:06 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/

Fuck WalMart. If you shop at WalMart you're a communist pinko fuck.

Our collective buying habits created Walmart...it is a reflection of our society....I look to Germany as a good model...they take pride in buying German made products...even knowing they cost more...they see it as national pride AND employing their neighbor...I want to do the same, but we have outsourced so much it is impossible to find US made items in every category...especially electronics...

Some economists argue that cheaper is better...if you are poor or in the working class, you dollar goes further when your cost of living goes down...that is true IF there are good paying jobs...we have 93,000,000 able bodied legal age workers that are not in the labor force...that is a huge problem and our leaders know it...mountains of cheap goods to buy, but not enough jobs for everyone...

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 04:36:31 PM
Our collective buying habits created Walmart...it is a reflection of our society....I look to Germany as a good model...they take pride in buying German made products...even knowing they cost more...they see it as national pride AND employing their neighbor...I want to do the same, but we have outsourced so much it is impossible to find US made items in every category...especially electronics...
I prefer the Swiss model and some other countries that control their border, or take based on wealth or net-gain to the country (mostly.) Yes, things 'cost' more. But take away the spending for foreign wars allows for some social welfare- for those who need it, and where shame and mutual understanding doesn't cause it to be abused (until others come in to free-load.) And you get good service and even jobs like waiters etc are considered good jobs- not part-time or some such. I've had places where the same waiter was there for years, and not just trying to become an actor or in some band or convicted of a sex-crime so "no other job" or an illegal "off the books."  Would know the menu, wine list, what is good today, 'secret' menu, etc. I would rather pay a citizen and get a good job done than simply race to the bottom. With an open-border and a system that also encourages throw-away it won't work. I don't mind fixing something (or taking it in to a guy who can fix stuff,) instead of buying a new item. Why, pray-tell is it cheaper for me to buy a new lantern plus battery than a new lantern battery??

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 15, 2015, 02:58:51 PM
Interesting. Brookshire Brothers is employee owned. I did not know that. I do know that small towns where they have improved the bridges or expanded roads so that a HEB (which I like and I'm not knocking) or Walmart can move in (they demand ability for 18 wheeler access) whereas Brookshire Bros will often suffice with smaller trucks etc. So just a small example of public bearing the costs (new roads, better bridges, more wear and tear) so that a large corporation can do business. In theory the larger stores will provide 'more employment' or 'cheaper prices;' arguably that is true but enough to cover the infrastructure costs and maintenance costs?
The property taxes and sales taxes generate money for the infrastructure improvements... If that corner was a field, the property taxes were low.  You put a building on it, the valuation and then the taxes go up.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 15, 2015, 04:52:13 PM
The property taxes and sales taxes generate money for the infrastructure improvements... If that corner was a field, the property taxes were low.  You put a building on it, the valuation and then the taxes go up.
True, though the ones I've seen were built in town, taking over what used to be smaller businesses' property and hence the need for the bigger roads into town. Other places there are big-box dime-a-dozen on every field you can imagine. I think HD had some actual policy that there should be one every 5 miles on IH-35 etc? (Though this has been toned down in many areas now.) I have three new gas stations being opened up within 1 mile of one house I got, in former fields. One a 20 bay the others, a bit smaller but all claiming to be "markets" also. Though, oddly, for now, the road is still winding and not expanded from two-lane (saw a remarkable head-on, fire, one DOA, and helicopter evac accident a couple months ago from a dump truck to deliver grading gravel to job site on one of them swerving into a car.)
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for business but like keeping it more local and increasing the "tax-base" hurts those who "don't want to sell-out," also.

GravitySucks

Quote from: albrecht on October 15, 2015, 05:00:35 PM
True, though the ones I've seen were built in town, taking over what used to be smaller businesses' property and hence the need for the bigger roads into town. Other places there are big-box dime-a-dozen on every field you can imagine. I think HD had some actual policy that there should be one every 10 miles on IH-35 etc? (Though this has been toned down in many areas now.) I have three new gas stations being opened up within 1 mile of one house I got, in former fields. One a 20 bay the others, a bit smaller but all claiming to be "markets" also. Though, oddly, for now, the road is still winding and not expanded from two-lane (saw a remarkable head-on, fire, one DOA, and helicopter evac accident a couple months ago from a dump truck to deliver grading gravel to job site on one of them swerving into a car.)
I try and support small businesses as much as possible, but I admit that it is hard to justify not buying some things from Amazon at a substantial discount and not having to worry about door dings from some idiot in the parking lot.

I feel a little less guilty now that Amazon charges Texas sales tax, but that wipes out some of the savings too.

Cities like to see big superstores instead of grocery stores in Texas because food is not taxed.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but a town near me, Webster, made so much money from sales tax from a large mall and  strip malls that they provided free water for the residents in the town.  I think that stopped when Houston annexed the mall property.

albrecht

Quote from: GravitySucks on October 15, 2015, 05:13:47 PM
I try and support small businesses as much as possible, but I admit that it is hard to justify not buying some things from Amazon at a substantial discount and not having to worry about door dings from some idiot in the parking lot.

I feel a little less guilty now that Amazon charges Texas sales tax, but that wipes out some of the savings too.

Cities like to see big superstores instead of grocery stores in Texas because food is not taxed.

I am not sure if it is still the case, but a town near me, Webster, made so much money from sales tax from a large mall and  strip malls that they provided free water for the residents in the town.  I think that stopped when Houston annexed the mall property.
ETJ and the expanding cities are crazy. Also they use water jurisdictions to do so I think. It sucks. What is more interesting is how, those 'in the know,' incorporate early, even early on. Most developers don't and, frankly, don't care, because they just move on. But when done right you got these protected areas, because own incorporated area or city, with sanity (and crazy home values and good schools,) even "inside" the ever-growing cities. And it is legal. But at some point will bust? Idk, probably but works, for awhile, but farmer/ranchers are screwed (or paid well.)

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 01:44:03 PM

Fucking shareholders.  Always wanting a return on their investment.

paladin1991

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 04:36:31 PM

Some economists argue that cheaper is better...if you are poor or in the working class, you dollar goes further when your cost of living goes down...that is true IF there are good paying jobs...we have 93,000,000 able bodied legal age workers that are not in the labor force...that is a huge problem and our leaders know it...mountains of cheap goods to buy, but not enough jobs for everyone...

I got a job for 'em.  A little thing called 'Manifest Destiny.'

chefist

Quote from: paladin1991 on October 15, 2015, 09:13:00 PM
I got a job for 'em.  A little thing called 'Manifest Destiny.'

We've gone too far...politicians used to promise, "we'll implement policy that will help you make the best life for yourselves." Now, it is, "we will GIVE you the best life you could never have without us."....

albrecht

Quote from: chefist on October 15, 2015, 09:21:13 PM
We've gone too far...politicians used to promise, "we'll implement policy that will help you make the best life for yourselves." Now, it is, "we will GIVE you the best life you could never have without us."....
Well, the sad thing is not "GIVING" the best life to most Americans but usually to immigrants or, in limited cases, the Americans who don't want, or appreciate, education, work, etc and due to free school meals, "dumbed down" education, social promotion, affirmative action, and illegal's children have their children in classes where attempts (curtailed by lawsuits and PC) at discipline and head-counts is more important than any actual learning.