• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

The BellGab Classic Movie Playhouse

Started by GravitySucks, June 11, 2016, 05:28:45 PM

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 03, 2018, 08:25:40 AM
Did you watch the pre-release version (aka the British version) or the American version?  The prerelease version is actually the most popular version now and it is the version Hitchcock preferred.  It omits the last scene with Granger and Roman on a train speaking with a minister.  There are some other differences too but my memory is fuzzy on that right now. I haven't watched the film in about 15 years so it is due for another viewing and the next time, I am going to do a scene by scene comparison of the 2 versions.  There was a nice bit of nepotism in that film with Hitchcock giving a solid supporting role to his daughter, Pat.

Incidentally,  Kino Lorber will be releasing in a few days the only American Hitchcock film that has not been available before on dvd or blu-ray.  Under Capricorn with Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman in a Down-Under 19th century drama.  Many think that film is Hitchcock at his worst and most boring. The French think it is one of his finest films though. I haven't given the film much of a watch before because  the TCM print was faded and not very good.  Not their fault, it was simply the only print on the market.  It has been restored now and might get a more favorable reception.  It was initially released to theaters through Warner Bros. but Warners does not own the rights to that film.  Don't look for any suspense in it as it is simply a period drama.
I came in a little late to TCM's showing last night.  I didn't even realize what it was at first, until the initial "on-the-train" scene, so I missed the usual Mankiewicz opener.  The version I watched last night must have been the British version, since the movie's last scene was at the senator's home, of Guy's fiance taking a call from Guy saying he'd be home soon.  Of course, more trivia, the senator was played by Leo Carroll of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." fame.

Ah, yes, one of the senator's daughters was indeed played by Patricia Hitchcock.  I thought she put in a fine performance, so I'm down with a little nepotism when there's some accompanying talent.  But, as I mentioned, the best performance was by the villain, Robert Walker, even though he may have just been playing himself.  His portrayal alone, is well worth giving the movie a watch.  His acting was dead-on, with no over the top dramatics, so common with today's acting.  I can see where he could have made it pretty big in Hollywood, if he hadn't passed on at such an early age.

I'd be very interested to see you post a side-by-side assessment of the two versions, 21st.  I enjoyed the film enough I may eventually pick-up a copy of it.  Thanks for the heads-up on "Under Capricorn."  I may check it out.  I remember "Vertigo" wasn't all the well received initially but now it's praised as a top film, if not the top of all time.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 03, 2018, 08:25:40 AM
Did you watch the pre-release version (aka the British version) or the American version?  The prerelease version is actually the most popular version now and it is the version Hitchcock preferred.  It omits the last scene with Granger and Roman on a train speaking with a minister.  There are some other differences too but my memory is fuzzy on that right now. I haven't watched the film in about 15 years so it is due for another viewing and the next time, I am going to do a scene by scene comparison of the 2 versions.  There was a nice bit of nepotism in that film with Hitchcock giving a solid supporting role to his daughter, Pat.

Incidentally,  Kino Lorber will be releasing in a few days the only American Hitchcock film that has not been available before on dvd or blu-ray.  Under Capricorn with Joseph Cotten and Ingrid Bergman in a Down-Under 19th century drama.  Many think that film is Hitchcock at his worst and most boring. The French think it is one of his finest films though. I haven't given the film much of a watch before because  the TCM print was faded and not very good.  Not their fault, it was simply the only print on the market.  It has been restored now and might get a more favorable reception.  It was initially released to theaters through Warner Bros. but Warners does not own the rights to that film.  Don't look for any suspense in it as it is simply a period drama.

The French also thought Jerry Lewis was a comedic genius...but, you know, they were probably right about that. He wasn't particularly witty but goofy as hell! He specialized in that before it was a thing. Jim Carrey owes him a lot! ;)

Name this famous actor from yesteryear.

Well, I got a lot of bites on that last post!  :P

Name this famous movie star.

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 30, 2018, 11:15:27 AM
Well, I got a lot of bites on that last post!  :P

Name this famous movie star.

Groucho Marx.

Quote from: ItsOver on June 30, 2018, 12:58:19 PM
Groucho Marx.

I guess the last picture gave it away though it still doesn't look much like him.  Without glasses, he doesn't look like Groucho. The first picture looked like Gershwin or some intellectual type.   

Quote from: ItsOver on June 30, 2018, 12:59:37 PM
Gabby Hayes.

I guess you went to the link.  There is no way you could have gotten it otherwise.  Right?

Hmm. It doesn't say his name at the link.  How did you get it?

ItsOver

Quote from: 21st Century Man on June 30, 2018, 01:07:51 PM
I guess you went to the link.  There is no way you could have gotten it otherwise.  Right?

Hmm. It doesn't say his name at the link.  How did you get it?
I either know my classic actors or how to use search engines.  Maybe both. ;)

Quote from: ItsOver on June 30, 2018, 01:19:49 PM
I either know my classic actors or how to use search engines.  Maybe both. ;)

I'll assume both.  ;D ;) Before the internet, I definitely couldn't have gotten the Gabby Hayes one and I know my actors. He looked so different to the old galoot he played in his later movies.

Jackstar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ilQNFn_Lpnc

A friend turned me on to this today. It's awesome! This flick has it all--Vincent Price, black & white striped-shirted henchmen, and an antagonist named... Strock.

They don't make 'em like that anymorez.

Jackstar

[attachment=1]

Quote from: Jackstar on October 15, 2018, 03:59:03 PM
They don't make 'em like that anymorez.

Further, the character Vincent Price plays is named... Robur. As in, a mononym. Adorable.

Jackstar

[attachment=1]

Well, shit... there goes my day. Y'all think this one is on Netflix?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9XNFpRdhg

I guess I should have caught this flick much earlier, but I always felt there was something funny about it.

Jackstar

[attachment=1]

It's simply fascinating how this guy looks just like him, with the addition of heavy eyebags.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Jackstar on October 16, 2018, 12:40:17 PM
[attachment=1,msg1267370]

It's simply fascinating how this guy looks just like him, with the addition of heavy eyebags.

Well read in the classics - check
Believes in reincarnation - check

Kidnostad3

Quote from: Dr. MD MD on October 16, 2018, 06:35:25 PM
Well read in the classics - check
Believes in reincarnation - check

He da man. 

Dr. MD MD

I was rewatching The Terminator for the umpteenth time when I noticed an acknowledgment to the works of Harlan Ellison in the credits and thought, That’s weird. I don’t remember hearing about him being involved with the writing on this film. Well, he wasn’t but...

https://www.cbr.com/terminator-harlan-ellison-credit/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i2jt0m5-0c

Dr. MD MD

I watched an old Randolph Scott movie last night called Abilene Town. It was about the fight between the cattlemen and the homesteaders in Kansas after the civil war. It really made me think. Seemed very relevant to what’s going after on now. 🤔

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abilene_Town