• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 08, 2019, 01:14:10 AM

She's a beaut Rix.  Here are all the stats....  All the facts.....
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/buick/full-size_buick_8gen/estate_wagon/1979.html

She has the heart of a lion too.   349 Cubic Inch, V8 that pumps out 155HP. 

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on October 08, 2019, 06:24:45 AM
She's a beaut Rix.  Here are all the stats....  All the facts.....
https://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/buick/full-size_buick_8gen/estate_wagon/1979.html

She has the heart of a lion too.   349 Cubic Inch, V8 that pumps out 155HP.
Nice, Walks.  I really miss my Chevy Nomad Wagon.  I think it was my second car.  It looked big but it seemed rather light, in a way.  Automatic, and I remember that it took off really fast.  I saw one just like it in the first Karate Kid movie.  I kick myself that I didn't hold onto it.  Quite a car.   

Rix Gins

Kugler's restaurant is long gone, but the building it used to be in is still there.  In fact you can still rent office space there. 
https://www.commercialcafe.com/blog/office-building-week-widener-building/

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 25, 2019, 01:28:55 AM

I never been, yet, but I hear sailing around the Apostle Islands near by this town is amazing. Have a relative who takes his boat up there in summers but, thus far, not been invited.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on October 25, 2019, 06:02:46 PM
I never been, yet, but I hear sailing around the Apostle Islands near by this town is amazing. Have a relative who takes his boat up there in summers but, thus far, not been invited.

If the relative ever gives you an invite, the inn might still be there.   http://greunkesinn.com/

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 02, 2019, 12:37:33 AM

"The Corporation will happily to assist you..." seems suspect and creepy. Like some line from "Marathon Man" or something.

Quote from: albrecht on November 02, 2019, 12:35:39 PM
"The Corporation will happily to assist you..." seems suspect and creepy. Like some line from "Marathon Man" or something.

That's the model home too.   Not sure that I am cut out to live out west.  I kinda like green stuff - although there is no lawn to mow.
Guess you just hose down your yard with fuel oil to keep the dust down.

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on November 02, 2019, 12:49:30 PM
That's the model home too.   Not sure that I am cut out to live out west.  I kinda like green stuff - although there is no lawn to mow.
Guess you just hose down your yard with fuel oil to keep the dust down.
Yeah, though the environmentalists are beginning to frown on this. I heard somewhere that they advocate plant-based oil for dust prevention purposes now.

That is a weird looking house. Almost like they converted a shipping container or had some modular scheme of building. The Corporation will assist you.

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: albrecht on November 02, 2019, 02:06:55 PM
Yeah, though the environmentalists are beginning to frown on this. I heard somewhere that they advocate plant-based oil for dust prevention purposes now.

That is a weird looking house. Almost like they converted a shipping container or had some modular scheme of building. The Corporation will assist you.

Yes, The Corporation will take care of all your needs. Just leave it to The Corporation.  8)

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on October 29, 2019, 12:58:26 AM

Is that someone famous? One of those "make a postcard from your photo?" It is strangely shot. Weird angle and elevation. Timer on camera set on ground? Or a kid taking?

I've mentioned before but I have this theory/problem that I think everything before the late 50's was black and white. But in rare circumstances one comes across color films that shows that folks dressed in color, especially in urban areas. But everything looks "Amish" in old photos or movies.Yes with old cameras often one had to sit for a period. I think there was also something against smiling back then for cameras? Idk all my old family photos the people look pretty grim, aside from a few of children. Granted folks did dress up more than now (suits, full dresses, etc) but they did have colors even back when. I've heard theories about Vietnam and color images resulting in our withdrawal versus older wars that, if seen at all, by "folks back home" was in b&w or just print.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on November 02, 2019, 03:02:41 PM
Is that someone famous? One of those "make a postcard from your photo?" It is strangely shot. Weird angle and elevation. Timer on camera set on ground? Or a kid taking?

I've mentioned before but I have this theory/problem that I think everything before the late 50's was black and white. But in rare circumstances one comes across color films that shows that folks dressed in color, especially in urban areas. But everything looks "Amish" in old photos or movies.Yes with old cameras often one had to sit for a period. I think there was also something against smiling back then for cameras? Idk all my old family photos the people look pretty grim, aside from a few of children. Granted folks did dress up more than now (suits, full dresses, etc) but they did have colors even back when. I've heard theories about Vietnam and color images resulting in our withdrawal versus older wars that, if seen at all, by "folks back home" was in b&w or just print.

My brain insists on there being a grassy slope that leads down into a gully of sorts, from which the photographer is taking the picture.  I hadn't noticed it at first, but it looks like a person standing behind the lady to the right back there.  Enlarged, the photo apparently shows that the "person" is made out of shrubbery. 

Rix Gins

This burger looking joint was doing weddings and such back in the day.  Apparently there was a name change somewhere along the line, but they are still doing weddings there.    https://www.thecastlenj.com/

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 03, 2019, 12:47:16 AM

This burger looking joint was doing weddings and such back in the day.  Apparently there was a name change somewhere along the line, but they are still doing weddings there.    https://www.thecastlenj.com/
That place looks like a nice place to have some Manhattans while listening to the Gabcast!

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 03, 2019, 12:36:38 AM
My brain insists on there being a grassy slope that leads down into a gully of sorts, from which the photographer is taking the picture.  I hadn't noticed it at first, but it looks like a person standing behind the lady to the right back there.  Enlarged, the photo apparently shows that the "person" is made out of shrubbery.
Yeah, "Shadow Person" was a thought. An odd photo to make a postcard but I think maybe they just bought their first house or something?

Rix Gins

History of the Shamrock Hotel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Hotel
QuoteThe Shamrock's private and sleek Cork Club was noted as the site of many oil deals (and reportedly, fist fights), along with performances by singer Frank Sinatra. In 1953 singer Patty Andrews of the Andrews Sisters launched her brief solo career in the hotel's still somewhat fashionable Emerald Room nightclub.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 06, 2019, 02:02:42 AM

History of the Shamrock Hotel: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Hotel
That place was VERY famous. Back in the day(s) of also how Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth- too an extent Oklahoma (and later in a smaller but famous car-dealer way Midland etc) competed to be the best- due to competing oil-men. But, I know now, capitalism is bad, but then competed for hotels, museums, hospitals, universities, churches, colleges, preserving wildlife, etc. They all wanted to out do each other- and we all benefited from it! Even when, sometimes, it was due to personal beefs, greed, or just good natures. Amazing stuff. That hotel was awesome and too bad gone. They almost ALL didn't like commies and liked the country even over foreign interests. Unlike some conglomerates now. Those links were awesome. Fake lakes, by HOTEL, for water-skiing? So awesome.

Rix Gins

Quote from: albrecht on November 06, 2019, 11:40:44 PM
That place was VERY famous. Back in the day(s) of also how Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth- too an extent Oklahoma (and later in a smaller but famous car-dealer way Midland etc) competed to be the best- due to competing oil-men. But, I know now, capitalism is bad, but then competed for hotels, museums, hospitals, universities, churches, colleges, preserving wildlife, etc. They all wanted to out do each other- and we all benefited from it! Even when, sometimes, it was due to personal beefs, greed, or just good natures. Amazing stuff. That hotel was awesome and too bad gone. They almost ALL didn't like commies and liked the country even over foreign interests. Unlike some conglomerates now. Those links were awesome. Fake lakes, by HOTEL, for water-skiing? So awesome.

I love those grand hotels.  People were such dipshits to allow them to fall into disrepair and then turn them into parking lots.

albrecht

Quote from: Rix Gins on November 07, 2019, 01:50:49 AM
I love those grand hotels.  People were such dipshits to allow them to fall into disrepair and then turn them into parking lots.
In older times people, architects, cities, etc took pride in their work and didn't just want the cheapest, most utilitarian building for schools, train stations, theaters, even some factories and, later, airports. And tried to build to last.  I posted here somewhere an old postcard of this High School.  It was a former hotel and then remodeled to be a High School. I have no study to prove but I'll bet the teachers are happier and the students get better marks than in some drab cinder-block school with cheap modular outbuildings.