• Welcome to BellGab.com Archive.

Post Your Favorite Postcards Here.

Started by Rix Gins, May 08, 2016, 04:07:19 PM

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on February 02, 2019, 12:17:31 PM

This must be where he buys his booze after he’s begged for money at the other place.

Metron2267

Quote from: brig on February 02, 2019, 12:25:34 PM
You have an impressive collection of post cards.
Not really, but Rix does.

Glad you enjoy the topical servings. ;)

Dr. MD MD

Quote from: Metron2267 on February 02, 2019, 12:26:51 PM
Not really, but Rix does.

Glad you enjoy the topical servings. ;)

It doesn’t seem to be able to understand or acknowledge sarcasm, brig.

Rix Gins

If the White House had a restaurant, I could picture it looking like this place.

Castleholm is listed as being a 'lost' restaurant.  (https://ihappentolikenewyork.com/2013/10/06/lost-restaurants-castleholm-west-57th-street/)  It was replaced by another famous New York eatery named Whyte's.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Whyte's is gone too.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 04, 2019, 02:14:57 AM

If the White House had a restaurant, I could picture it looking like this place.

Castleholm is listed as being a 'lost' restaurant.  (https://ihappentolikenewyork.com/2013/10/06/lost-restaurants-castleholm-west-57th-street/)  It was replaced by another famous New York eatery named Whyte's.  I'm not 100% sure, but I think that Whyte's is gone too.

Wow that's the fanciest smorgasbord I've ever seen.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 03:20:53 AM

Ha, it is very fancy.  But I can't seem to wrap my mind around those big white things on all the tables.  They almost look like covered porcelain bowels or something.  The rather faded state of the postcard prevents me from getting a clear look at the table settings.     

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 04, 2019, 03:49:44 AM
Ha, it is very fancy.  But I can't seem to wrap my mind around those big white things on all the tables.  They almost look like covered porcelain bowels or something.  The rather faded state of the postcard prevents me from getting a clear look at the table settings.   

I think they are the napkins - all foo-fooed up into a fancy cone.  For a better look, you need to step out into the Summer Garden.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 03:20:53 AM

No doubt!  Did you see the spread?  The Viking Ship was a nice touch.

Cool matchbook for your pipe:

With an Art Deco silver spoon.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 04, 2019, 03:49:44 AM

I am dying to see a menu, but no luck.  I would be astonished if Americans filled up that gorgeous room for the same sort of cold preserved meats and fishes one encounters in Sweden, but who knows?  I kind of see a molded aspic with a monogram to the left of the viking ship in Walks's pic, but maybe that's wishful thinking and it's probably just jello.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 11:39:26 AM
I am dying to see a menu, but no luck.  I would be astonished if Americans filled up that gorgeous room for the same sort of cold preserved meats and fishes one encounters in Sweden, but who knows?  I kind of see a molded aspic with a monogram to the left of the viking ship in Walks's pic, but maybe that's wishful thinking and it's probably just jello.

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2019, 05:45:03 PM

Thanks, Walks!  So the task of flying the blÃ¥gul fana is left to those poor meatballs and the beef stew, with the rest generic Continental fare.  This is how once-proud cultures die, friends.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 06:16:19 PM
Thanks, Walks!  So the task of flying the blÃ¥gul fana is left to those poor meatballs and the beef stew, with the rest generic Continental fare.  This is how once-proud cultures die, friends.

NP.  I was eyeing the Swedish Pancakes with Lingonberries for dessert. 

albrecht

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2019, 06:25:13 PM
Lingonberry is good but cloudberry. Yum! I also like red currants and wish I could buy or grow them here but, alas. A great combo of tart and sweet taste.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 11:39:26 AM
Ha, that would be awesome. BTW you see this recent article K_dubb?
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190103-the-norwegian-art-of-the-packed-lunch

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2019, 06:25:13 PM

Pfft I can make that at home in five minutes.  Come to think of it, that's probably why there are no Swedish restaurants:  it's pretty basic stuff, and all the good home cooks are probably too proud and cheap to dine out on it.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 06:32:08 PM
Pfft I can make that at home in five minutes. Come to think of it, that's probably why there are no Swedish restaurants:  it's pretty basic stuff, and all the good home cooks are probably too proud and cheap to dine out on it.

You might have a point.  Closest that I've seen to a Swedish restaurant is this guy:

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2019, 06:31:58 PM
Ha, that would be awesome. BTW you see this recent article K_dubb?
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20190103-the-norwegian-art-of-the-packed-lunch

I did not, thanks!  Besides taking issue with their pronuncation, note the subtle aspersions cast at the perfectly worthy Kneippbrød and our tube fish, a real delicacy.  Typical British condescension camouflaged as admiration.  Egos like that built the Empire.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 06:47:10 PM
I did not, thanks!  Besides taking issue with their pronuncation, note the subtle aspersions cast at the perfectly worthy Kneippbrød and our tube fish, a real delicacy.  Typical British condescension camouflaged as admiration.  Egos like that built the Empire.
Indeed. A repost because I find this comedy genius and still laugh at it. Epic and bizarre. And apparently a random thing when he would return home drunk and decide to call in...I bring you back: Norwegian Sven from Swiss Cottage and his tribulations related to "fish" and his wife Jutta. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPJK2zKtAxQ

K_Dubb

Quote from: albrecht on February 04, 2019, 06:51:31 PM
Indeed. A repost because I find this comedy genius and still laugh at it. Epic and bizarre. And apparently a random thing when he would return home drunk and decide to call in...I bring you back: Norwegian Sven from Swiss Cottage and his tribulations related to "fish" and his wife Jutta. 

Ha yeah that is pretty funny.  BTW bringing all worlds together there is a good half-serious British series on youtube called "Cracking the Shakespeare Code" about a Norwegian church organist, who reminds me a bit of Sven here, and his Shakespeare theories.  It is staged like a buddy pic with a chubby Brit and plays off cultural differences all while discussing sonnets.

albrecht

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 07:41:17 PM
Ha yeah that is pretty funny.  BTW bringing all worlds together there is a good half-serious British series on youtube called "Cracking the Shakespeare Code" about a Norwegian church organist, who reminds me a bit of Sven here, and his Shakespeare theories.  It is staged like a buddy pic with a chubby Brit and plays off cultural differences all while discussing sonnets.
Will check out. Thanks! Conspiracy theory- check. Norwegian- check. Church Organist-cum-Conspiracytheorist. Check!!

Interesting web page about the Castleholm's owners son - he was an author, including the book that was made into the movie Angel Heart

http://williamhjortsberg.com/sample-page/life/photographs/

K_Dubb

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2019, 10:04:02 PM
Interesting web page about the Castleholm's owners son - he was an author, including the book that was made into the movie Angel Heart

http://williamhjortsberg.com/sample-page/life/photographs/

Now that is cool.  "The finest Swedish restaurant in Manhattan"?  Good heavens, there was more than one!  I liked the part about Damon Runyon stealing the patio furniture, too.

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 04, 2019, 10:18:21 PM
Now that is cool.  "The finest Swedish restaurant in Manhattan"?  Good heavens, there was more than one!  I liked the part about Damon Runyon stealing the patio furniture, too.

Yeah, wasn't that something?   Harry the Horse and Nicely-Nicely Johnson.   LoL.

Rix sends us down some interesting rabbit holes at times with his cards.......................

Rix Gins

Quote from: Walks_At_Night on February 04, 2019, 10:22:45 PM
Yeah, wasn't that something?   Harry the Horse and Nicely-Nicely Johnson.   LoL.

Rix sends us down some interesting rabbit holes at times with his cards.......................

Haha.  Nice link, Walks.  Big, white, hallucinogenic mushrooms on those table tops, perhaps?

Rix Gins

K_Dubb

Quote from: Rix Gins on February 06, 2019, 01:59:22 AM

A cigar advert.

Via postcard.

Cool postcard, Rix, but man that looks like a turd.

Rix Gins

Quote from: K_Dubb on February 06, 2019, 02:13:56 AM
Cool postcard, Rix, but man that looks like a turd.

Ha Ha!  Or a giant earthworm?  But you know K, I can recall smoking crooked cigars years ago.  It seems like they were smallish in nature though, hardly bigger than cigarettes.  They came like six in a box that could have been easily tucked inside a tee shirt pocket.  I think that they were called simply Crooks, and I can't remember if they were rum flavored or not.